• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not sure if this qualifies as a hot deal or not, but Amazon has knocked $30 off of the price of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD models. So, the price of the 16GB version with special offers is now $269. Might be a good deal for those who have been on the fence, deciding whether or not to purchase it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GFRB9E/ref=fs_j

New Prices
Kindle Fire 7 8GB $159 with special offers $174 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 7 16GB $199 with special offers $214 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 7 32GB $249 with special offers $264 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 16GB $269 with special offers $284 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 32GB $299 with special offers $314 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 LTE 32GB $399 with special offers $414 without special offers
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 LTE 32GB $499 with special offers $514 without special offers

Member Summary

Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Thanks timswim78
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

32GB for just $30 more.

LTE version knocked off $100 down to $399...with 32gb

Can someone describe what the special offers are like? Do they take part of the display over? I have special offers on a b/w kindle and they only appear when it is on standby and it's not really a big deal at all.

When you are not using the screen, targeted ads and coupons act as a screen saver.

no hurry. will be $199 in a few months later

KKDowing said:   Can someone describe what the special offers are like? Do they take part of the display over? I have special offers on a b/w kindle and they only appear when it is on standby and it's not really a big deal at all.

I have this Kindle, the only place I have noticed them is the Lock Screen is an ad. Basically I see an ad every time I turn it on until I unlock the device.

For those of you who get this but are not willing to brave rooting it, download APK extractor from Google Play on your phone or other tablet, then any app that isnt available on the Kindle, extract the APK and email it to yourself. I was able to install various File Explorers, Reddit is Fun, Youtube, MX Player, etc using this method.

timswim78 said:   Not sure if this qualifies as a hot deal or not, but Amazon has knocked $30 off of the price of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD models. So, the price of the 16GB version with special offers is now $269. Might be a good deal for those who have been on the fence, deciding whether or not to purchase it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GFRB9E/ref=fs_j

Green for you OP. I just got Staples to PM on the 32g model and used expiring rewards to pay the bill.

Klauven said:   KKDowing said:   Can someone describe what the special offers are like? Do they take part of the display over? I have special offers on a b/w kindle and they only appear when it is on standby and it's not really a big deal at all.

I have this Kindle, the only place I have noticed them is the Lock Screen is an ad. Basically I see an ad every time I turn it on until I unlock the device.

For those of you who get this but are not willing to brave rooting it, download APK extractor from Google Play on your phone or other tablet, then any app that isnt available on the Kindle, extract the APK and email it to yourself. I was able to install various File Explorers, Reddit is Fun, Youtube, MX Player, etc using this method.

thanks for the tip, the original Fire had the option to allow installation apps from unknown sources (not Amazon), did that option go away?

KKDowing said:   Klauven said:   KKDowing said:   Can someone describe what the special offers are like? Do they take part of the display over? I have special offers on a b/w kindle and they only appear when it is on standby and it's not really a big deal at all.

thanks for the tip, the original Fire had the option to allow installation apps from unknown sources (not Amazon), did that option go away?

No, that option is still in the settings and you have to check it to install the APKs you email yourself. I just found creating your own APKs easier and safer than trying to hunt them down from shady internet sites.

I love all the reviews complaining of the price drop. Why do people not understand businesses want more money, not less, and every electronic thing ever drops in price? The lack of common sense is hilarious and headache inducing at the same time.

Slider said:   LTE version knocked off $100 down to $399...with 32gb

Did they sell any at $499? Crazy price.

danhouston said:   no hurry. will be $199 in a few months later
True or false??

waiting for a smaller Surface or perhaps iPad mini's price to drop below $299... but green for you OP, this is a good deal

I bought this and sold it after a month. Its your typical laggy android experience, and you are locked in to the Amazon ecosystem. When my Prime subscription trial ended, I was like F****!!!! There's nothing left to do on this tablet!

tobyttu said:   danhouston said:   no hurry. will be $199 in a few months later
True or false??

Few is defined as a small number but more than one -- as in few men have been to the moon (12) or climbed Everest (2,700) -- so the poster left himself some wiggle room. When talking months, I tend to think of few as much less than a year. I think $299 (or $269 for 16g) is a decent discount on this device and purchased one today to gift in July (of course, I was also spending Staples Rewards that will expire by July). I don't see it getting much lower until 1) it is replaced, or 2) Amazon puts it in the Gold Box.

That's not really the point, though. If you are shopping for a KFHD8.9 TODAY, it's good to know that the price dropped 20% even if that is the new everyday price rather than a sale. It was for me, anyway. Saying the price will be lower someday soon is less helpful than reminding people it was lower on BF. If the deal is not good for you, just move on. No need to thread-crap.

wizwor said:   tobyttu said:   danhouston said:   no hurry. will be $199 in a few months later
True or false??

Few is defined as a small number but more than one -- as in few men have been to the moon (12) or climbed Everest (2,700) -- so the poster left himself some wiggle room. When talking months, I tend to think of few as much less than a year. I think $299 (or $269 for 16g) is a decent discount on this device and purchased one today to gift in July (of course, I was also spending Staples Rewards that will expire by July). I don't see it getting much lower until 1) it is replaced, or 2) Amazon puts it in the Gold Box.

That's not really the point, though. If you are shopping for a KFHD8.9 TODAY, it's good to know that the price dropped 20% even if that is the new everyday price rather than a sale. It was for me, anyway. Saying the price will be lower someday soon is less helpful than reminding people it was lower on BF. If the deal is not good for you, just move on. No need to thread-crap.

Well said. I would imagine that we're looking at KF 3 around November for holiday sales, in which case these will be either price dropped or scuttled. Since Apple is trying to play hard to get with iPad leaks, unless there's an unforeseen major announcement, it's likely Amazon will milk these configurations and price points as long as they can.

I've had one of these for a month or two. If you have Prime, it's awesome. If you don't have Prime, do not bother.

I'm holding out for a gold box refurb deal like last March (orig. KF version).

Why would you say something like that? We've had the first Fires for more than a year. They came with a trial for Prime, so I have used it. I wish prime were better because I would like the free shipping and lending library. I like Netflix better and we stream that to our Fires just fine. We also play our own videos off the Fire and these cool Wi-Drive devices from Kingston. I have downloaded hundreds of games and books from Amazon and other locations -- many of them free. There are apps for surfing the internet and keeping up with the news (I like Pulse). A lot of the time, I use mine as a portable radio. Living in New Hampshire, I have limited access to broadcast radio, so I really enjoy iheartradio, Spotify, pandora, TuneIn, and other radio apps. I even use a fire to stream playon.tv. If you have had one of these for a few months and do nothing but stream Prime, you need to find a friend who can help you get more enjoyment out of it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014