Pikachu 3DS XL $159.99
Skylanders Buy Two Get One

Member Summary

3DS (38.75kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Been waiting to get a 3ds XL, think I'll jump on this deal, thanks OP! Also Nintendo has a promotion for a free game if you register a 3ds xl and one of two games: http://club2.nintendo.com/3ds-xl-promo/

Just a note from a 3D enthusiast. I traded in my 3DS for the XL version, and I regret it. Now to each their own, but I am constantly perplexed by how seemingly insignificant things, to me, are so damn deal breaking to others, on all sorts of consumer products. My point is that I am damn easy to please, and the XL version sits unused. Just saying...

biosylum, what are the deal breakers for you? would like to understand since this is a pretty sweet deal.

biosylum, I have a 3DS and was thinking of upgrading to the XL. If you look at it my way I paid 250 for the dang 3DS and now I can get an XL for 160. (though not a fan of the pikachu guy). My question to you is, did your 3DS sit unused prior to purchasing the 3DS XL? Because I think just because you are getting a bigger screen doesnt mean it's going to be an entirely new product. If you didnt use it prior to XL, chances are you wont use it post XL. I barely play mine but I am excited for Animal Crossing and will want to play it on a bigger screen.

@iamthejosh, if you don't like pikachu, it says in the ad that you can get any of the other 3ds xl colors for 130. =]

Also, i bought the reg 3ds when it first came out. I like it but don't use it too often. I was debating getting an xl cause the screen IS nice (my brother and parents each have an xl), but i have super tiny hands, so it was a little bit uncomfortable for me at first, but i LOVE pikachu and seeing now that I can get it for only 160, PLUS the free game promo has officially pushed me over the edge to decide to get it. I'm sure my hands can get used to the size difference. =]

Stehfee said:   @iamthejosh, if you don't like pikachu, it says in the ad that you can get any of the other 3ds xl colors for 130. =]

Also, i bought the reg 3ds when it first came out. I like it but don't use it too often. I was debating getting an xl cause the screen IS nice (my brother and parents each have an xl), but i have super tiny hands, so it was a little bit uncomfortable for me at first, but i LOVE pikachu and seeing now that I can get it for only 160, PLUS the free game promo has officially pushed me over the edge to decide to get it. I'm sure my hands can get used to the size difference. =]

Other 3DS XL colors = $160. Original 3DS = $130. Pikachu 3DS XL = #totesadorbs. 3DS XL > 3DS. 3D feature = sore-eyes.

Crap I need to get one today, my daughters birthday is tomorrow, I wonder if I can pricematch when it goes on sale.

Regarding 3DS vs 3DS XL Debate : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519255

The screen resolution is the same on both, so to some the bigger size is more "pixelated". It seems to an equal amount though they're fine with the trade-off to have a bigger screen. Personally I'm sure I'd rather have the XL, but its more about what you prefer than anything else. If you can, grab a friends or hit up GameStop/WalMart to try both.

Sorry for the delay. My gripe is that there are these shadows that move on the screen, like a moire' effect, when you are not in a very delicate sweet spot. I never noticed this with the regular 3ds. With video, it is not as noticeable, but neither 3ds is great for video, with the time restrictions they impose. In order to make this shadow effect less noticable, you have to hold the screen within 7-8", which negates the benefit of the larger screen. I kept the thing, but I really don't use it now, where I used to enjoy the old 3ds somewhat regularly. Like I said, I am a long time 3D buff, with all kinds of equipment, and I was really quite taken aback by this. Kids might not care, since they may not know any better, but I found those shadows quite distracting. They are like vertical bands that move across the screen horizontally with the slightest movement of the unit in respect to your eyes. You can get them to quit moving, by holding extremely still. The width of the bands fluctuates with the distance from your eyes. They get thinner with the unit further away, but then their motion is more discernable. That is why holding it closer helps, because they almost get wide enough to blend together. But I cannot stand holding it that close to my eyes. Like I said, to each his own, but I would test drive one first.

thanks for the info and advice. i'll check out out in store first.

I am personally only holding on to to play Luigi's Mansion. It looks like it may have darker environments than most games I have, so maybe the shadowing will be less noticeable. I was in the middle of Ocarina of Time, and now I don't play it at all. It might be cool to have down the road, should it get hacked, after the lawsuit they are about to get smacked with. If we can ever load it up with full length movies, it would also be useful.

biosylum said:   Sorry for the delay. My gripe is that there are these shadows that move on the screen, like a moire' effect, when you are not in a very delicate sweet spot. I never noticed this with the regular 3ds. With video, it is not as noticeable, but neither 3ds is great for video, with the time restrictions they impose. In order to make this shadow effect less noticable, you have to hold the screen within 7-8", which negates the benefit of the larger screen. I kept the thing, but I really don't use it now, where I used to enjoy the old 3ds somewhat regularly. Like I said, I am a long time 3D buff, with all kinds of equipment, and I was really quite taken aback by this. Kids might not care, since they may not know any better, but I found those shadows quite distracting. They are like vertical bands that move across the screen horizontally with the slightest movement of the unit in respect to your eyes. You can get them to quit moving, by holding extremely still. The width of the bands fluctuates with the distance from your eyes. They get thinner with the unit further away, but then their motion is more discernable. That is why holding it closer helps, because they almost get wide enough to blend together. But I cannot stand holding it that close to my eyes. Like I said, to each his own, but I would test drive one first.I have both the 3DS and 3DSXL and do not get the shadows that he gets. Just passing info along.

Friendly heads up: Target Rosemead in Southern California ran out the moment the doors opened. Honestly - it was a bit chaotic. 15 people lined up for 5 consoles available.

Best bet right now is to get a Target Ad and price-match it to another store that may have the unit if you live around the area.

AlgaeEater said:   Friendly heads up: Target Rosemead in Southern California ran out the moment the doors opened. Honestly - it was a bit chaotic. 15 people lined up for 5 consoles available.

Best bet right now is to get a Target Ad and price-match it to another store that may have the unit if you live around the area.

A family member tried to get one at the Target in Alhambra CA and they had zero -- that store didn't receive any. They then tried the Target in Pasadena and were told that they had only received 4 and they had soldout when the store opened. Target really dropped the ball on this, having a big sale on a limited edition item and having almost none in stock is rather pathetic.

Abobo said:   
A family member tried to get one at the Target in Alhambra CA and they had zero -- that store didn't receive any. They then tried the Target in Pasadena and were told that they had only received 4 and they had soldout when the store opened. Target really dropped the ball on this, having a big sale on a limited edition item and having almost none in stock is rather pathetic.

Yeah it was disappointing. Fortunate for me I wasn't actually looking for the Pikachu version (I just wanted the regular colors for me and my wife), but it would have been nice to have the option should I wanted to.

The particular Target in Rosemead was really bad though. I had just gotten there at 8:00AM when the store opened, and I noticed that the people at the front of the line at the door didn't actually end up with the Pikachu sets. The people in the middle of the line literally ran inside the store to the electronics area and ended up getting them. (Even the security guard was yelling at them not to run).

I missed out on the Pikachu edition Sunday after sleeping late, but got very lucky today. I used Target's online "find in store" feature and a store near me showed them as in stock. A call confirmed that they had three, and 30 minutes later my girlfriend and I each had one. The employee said that they didn't receive their shipment Sunday, instead only receiving them today. So if your Target never got their shipment, keep an eye on that website.

As for the Target where we got ours, the last one was bought about 5 minutes later.

AlgaeEater said:   Abobo said:   

Yeah it was disappointing. Fortunate for me I wasn't actually looking for the Pikachu version (I just wanted the regular colors for me and my wife), but it would have been nice to have the option should I wanted to.

The particular Target in Rosemead was really bad though. I had just gotten there at 8:00AM when the store opened, and I noticed that the people at the front of the line at the door didn't actually end up with the Pikachu sets. The people in the middle of the line literally ran inside the store to the electronics area and ended up getting them. (Even the security guard was yelling at them not to run).

That's annoying. I remember when the old DS and Wii came out, my Target would hand out numbers to people in line to avoid that nonsense.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014