• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

SodaStream Fizz Mega Pack
Disclaimer
Been looking for a new machine to replace the one I gave to my daughter for college.

Found this SodaStream 'Fizz Mega Pack' on sale at Sam's Club this week! Also noticed it is available online here:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sodastream-fizz-mega-pack/prod83500...

The kit includes:
Fizz machine w/ Patented Fizz Chip Technology to monitor gas and fizz levels (great to know when you have to get a CO2 refill)
12 ct Variety Flavor Pack
1 liter BPA-free bottle
2 60L cylinders (will make 120 liters worth of soda before you need a refill)

Regularly $129.99 on sale now $99.99

SodaStream is selling a Fizz Kit on their site, but with only 1 CO2 for $129.99, here: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/Fizz-Seltzer-Starter-Kit-P298.aspx

If you are a fan and avid user, you know this is a good deal for a brand new kit! Not to mention, there is often a $20 MIR floating around there that could make this deal even hotter.(I'll be on the lookout)

Member Summary

soda maker
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems to me this is a 'fad' product.
I would not want to spend my money on this because of that.

We tried some samples of the Soda Stream at a local Best Buy. The soda actually was very good tasting. Not sure if it's any cheaper, at the end of the day, when you have to buy proprietary flavoring and CO2 cartridges. Has anybody done the math on these things, as compared to simply buying 2 liters of soda on sale at the grocery store?

My Sam's Club (Tinley Park, IL) had this yesterday for $89, which included an extra $10. My daughter's friend gets her CO2 recharged at her ACE in Chicago, which makes the cost lower that buying the refills.

It is usually not (if at all) much cheaper to use this, and it's a matter of personal preference whether the syrup flavors are acceptable. We use ours for seltzer, and have replaced the sodastream cylinders with a paintball CO2 tank and adapter (best price was on eBay). Refills at Dick's are $4, bring the price per liter down to under a dime.

JK27 said:   We tried some samples of the Soda Stream at a local Best Buy. The soda actually was very good tasting. Not sure if it's any cheaper, at the end of the day, when you have to buy proprietary flavoring and CO2 cartridges. Has anybody done the math on these things, as compared to simply buying 2 liters of soda on sale at the grocery store?

I did the math last year, and then the result was that you never break even. If we look at today's numbers:

at Amazon, a flavor bottle which makes 12 liters (about 3 gallons) costs $9. At my local supermarkets, every week some other branded soda (Coca-Cola, Pepsi, 7UP) is on sale for about $1 per 2 liter bottle, or $6 per 12 liters. As you can see, just the flavors are more expensive.

However, if you just want seltzer (or very light flavored), then we need to look on CO2. Again, at Amazon, a canister fit for 130 liters costs $60, or about $0.50 for a 2 liter bottle. This is around the price in the store for store-brand seltzers.

Bottom line: for seltzers the price is comparable. If you like to make your own flavors, it might be worthwhile. And if you do not want to carry many bottles from the supermarket to your home (and you like the flavors), then the convenience *might* be worthwhile.

If you don't drink sugary sodas or aspartame laced diet sodas, but like the fizziness in your drinks, this is the way to go. I've had my Sodastream for 2 years and invested in the CO2 Dr. adapter kit. Picked up a 20# tank on Craigslist for $20 and get it filled for $25. It lasts well over a year. I make at least one liter/day.

don't look at Amazon to price those syrups. WalMart and Kohls are much cheaper. My wife got me one of these last week for birthday. Still playing around with it. The two biggest positive things for me are that none of their formulas have aspartame; and they offer Crystal Light's Wild Strawberry energy drink, which is my fav. Of course, it tastes quite a bit different being carbonated!

NYT had an interesting article a few weeks ago about how people are "hacking" their soda stream and various other related products to allow carbination of pretty much anything: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/dining/hacking-home-soda-makin...

I don't drink much soda, but I've been very curious about these things ever since. Haven't done a whole lot of research on how difficult those "hacks" are - the article makes it sound very easy.

I have had my sodastrem since last November when you could get the kit for $40 which was a hell of a deal.
I recently got the adapter kit on mine and now am running a 20lb CO2 tank on it.
I had to lay out some extra cash up front, but when the refills cost $15 a piece and I can get 22 of them out of a 20lb tank for $30, I will definately break even, might take a year, but I have a co-worker who has had his over 10 years.
One other nice thing, these are typically have much less carbs then normal soda, usually 8 carbs per serving, and all the diet drinks don't have aspertine which kills my wife's migraines.
Anyways just my input.
Oh and yes WalMart has most of the flavors for $4.99, I am a huge Amazon shopper, but they don't have the best price on sodastrem products, Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond, or WalMart are the places to go.

WaywardTraveller said:   I have had my sodastrem since last November when you could get the kit for $40 which was a hell of a deal.
I recently got the adapter kit on mine and now am running a 20lb CO2 tank on it.
I had to lay out some extra cash up front, but when the refills cost $15 a piece and I can get 22 of them out of a 20lb tank for $30, I will definately break even, might take a year, but I have a co-worker who has had his over 10 years.
If your tank fits in the Sodastream, it's a 20 oz. tank, not 20 lb.

I have one that size, too. Bought the brass paintball tank adapter here, based on someone else's recommendation in the FW thread where I got my deal. The recommender said brass was superior to the cheaper plastic adapters that some companies sell. Happy to provide that bit of info for the next wave of Sodastream hackers.

For clarification I have a 20 pound tank on mine, that's why I said on it not in it
Just to avoid confusion for new guys, I run the Freedom One kit with 72" hose Freedom One
I figure I should get about a year of use out of a $30 fill up.
Then after my first year I will save on average about $320 a year not using their exchanges.

I was at Costco's in Greensboro, NC this past week end. They had this SodaStream Bundle for $69. I might go back and buy one.

I believe foregoing drinking the sugary water stuff is the FW way. It saves you money in the immediate and long term when it comes to health and longevity. Just saying...

Agree with the other posters here. Main benefit is the carbonated water. I do not even miss soda.
Make sure you check Craigslist for good deals on Sodastream. I got mine for $50. A lot of people get them as gifts and sell them on Craigslist.

Buy a fizz giz instead guys. Superior product that costs less, is made in the USA, and works with regular paintball tanks if you buy the kit on Amazon.

dzer0 said:   Buy a fizz giz instead guys. Superior product that costs less, is made in the USA, and works with regular paintball tanks if you buy the kit on Amazon.

Thanks for the red, but you should be aware that SodaStream products are made in a West Bank settlement that is considered occupied territory. Whether that is something you want to support I'll leave to your own consciences.

dzer0 said:   

Thanks for the red, but you should be aware that SodaStream products are made in a West Bank settlement that is considered occupied territory. Whether that is something you want to support I'll leave to your own consciences.

Maybe keeping your politics to yourself or political forums would be wise?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014