• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Panasonic 47" Smart Viera® ET5 Series 3D LED HDTV - Save $700 for $599.99 + free shipping

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05771543000P

Panasonic TC L47ET5 - 47" VIERA ET5 Series 3D LED-backlit LCD TV - 1080p (FullHD)
A polarizing film on the display surface displays the left and right images for each of the odd-numbered and even-numbered horizontal scanning lines. When viewed through polarizing eyewear, different images are shown to the left and right eyes, resulting in the perception of 3D images. This method reduces the vertical resolution to one-half, but it is an easy way to view 3D images using light, economical eyewear. Great for watching with a group of people.
•Polarized 3D method
•Vivid color creation
•2D-3D conversion
•3D 24p cinema smoother
•Wide viewing angle
•VIERA remote app support: smartphone remote
•Simple remote control
•Product support center
•eHELP
•VIERA Connect
•Web browser
•Wi-Fi built-in
•DLNA
•Game mode
•Media player
•VIERA Link
•Eco mode
•C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System)
•Power saving functions in VIERA Link

Sears
See Sears coupons that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Panasonic TC L47ET5
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

FWIW, this TV doesn't seem to get very good reviews. It looks like Vizio's M series and LG's offerings are a better bang for your buck.

IDK about vizios but yeah this was a down year for panasonic LED/LCD's per professional reviews.

jlh2600 said:   IDK about vizios but yeah this was a down year for panasonic LED/LCD's per professional reviews.

The Vizio M class 3D sets were actually rated towards the top of the heap this year with their only real negative being 24p video cadence. Most reviews seem to state that you can't beat them for the price and they outperform sets much more expensive.

It's a shame, I love Panasonic. What's happening to their TV division is a shame. They're dumping their whole plasma division, and those are the best looking TVs on the market IMO.

If you want quality tv for your money...then LG is the one to get. I bought Vizio in the past because the price was cheaper but quality is so-so. Recently bought LG 55LM4600 and the quality is awesome for the price I paid. Vizio's quality subpar compared to Samsung, Sony,and LG. Don't buy Vizio unless you are not picky about video quality.

I picked up the 55 inch Panasonic ET5 from BestBuy on Black Friday (899 FYI). This is basically the smaller sibling.

A few notes I have after ownership

1) The panasonic ARC HDMI channel works well. it controls my ARC Device (a soundbar) flawlessly
2) The TV as set by the factory has strange motion algorithms that result in odd motion in movies/tv. I set most of these to off and have never looked back.
3) 3D is a gimmick. it requires you to pretty much sit in one place with your glasses on. no moving to the kitchen, living room, etc.
4) The picture quality is ok, but dark details seem a little lost.
5) color is very good, but out of the box it's pretty horrible.

For the price I paid... it was excellent and I never regretted it, but unless you get it for a great deal you might be better off with a LG which gets a lot more things right "out of the box"

docjoo said:   If you want quality tv for your money...then LG is the one to get. I bought Vizio in the past because the price was cheaper but quality is so-so. Recently bought LG 55LM4600 and the quality is awesome for the price I paid. Vizio's quality subpar compared to Samsung, Sony,and LG. Don't buy Vizio unless you are not picky about video quality.

This just isn't true. It's all on a case by case basis. There are plenty of Vizio's that are better than the big brands. Realize, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. make low end TVs as well and this is where Vizio has a leg up. They make TVs with better visual quality than other brands in it's price range, but you pay for it in exterior aesthetics and (debatably) reliability. Also realize that some major brands have more expensive tv's that are poor performers. A blanket statement like "don't buy Vizio unless you're not picky about video" is a bit ignorant, because they have a number of fantastic looking TVs on the market.

ProppaT said:   docjoo said:   If you want quality tv for your money...then LG is the one to get. I bought Vizio in the past because the price was cheaper but quality is so-so. Recently bought LG 55LM4600 and the quality is awesome for the price I paid. Vizio's quality subpar compared to Samsung, Sony,and LG. Don't buy Vizio unless you are not picky about video quality.

This just isn't true. It's all on a case by case basis. There are plenty of Vizio's that are better than the big brands. Realize, Panasonic, Samsung, etc. make low end TVs as well and this is where Vizio has a leg up. They make TVs with better visual quality than other brands in it's price range, but you pay for it in exterior aesthetics and (debatably) reliability. Also realize that some major brands have more expensive tv's that are poor performers. A blanket statement like "don't buy Vizio unless you're not picky about video" is a bit ignorant, because they have a number of fantastic looking TVs on the market.

Show me which Vizio is a fantastic looking TV that will have better image quailty. I have yet to find one Vizio hdtv that I thought looked better. Every time I look at Vizio hdtv, I can tell their colors are not vivid as top 3 brands when I do side by side comparison. Everyone knows that people buy Vizio because it's cheaper than major 3....not because of higher quality. Don't give out wrong information by stating that Vizio makes a high quality product. They don't make high end product. Vizio is targeting value oriented consumers. But if it makes you happy to pretend that Vizio is good as top 3...go ahead... it's your tv in the living room. I have bought 2 Vizio hdtv in the past and bought of them went bad after 2 years of usage. So I will not buy another Vizio..learned my lesson.

docjoo said:   ProppaT said:   docjoo said:   If you want quality tv for your money...then LG is the one to get. I bought Vizio in the past because the price was cheaper but quality is so-so. Recently bought LG 55LM4600 and the quality is awesome for the price I paid. Vizio's quality subpar compared to Samsung, Sony,and LG. Don't buy Vizio unless you are not picky about video quality.

Show me which Vizio is a fantastic looking TV that will have better image quailty. I have yet to find one Vizio hdtv that I thought looked better. Every time I look at Vizio hdtv, I can tell their colors are not vivid as top 3 brands when I do side by side comparison. Everyone knows that people buy Vizio because it's cheaper than major 3....not because of higher quality. Don't give out wrong information by stating that Vizio makes a high quality product. They don't make high end product. Vizio is targeting value oriented consumers. But if it makes you happy to pretend that Vizio is good as top 3...go ahead... it's your tv in the living room. I have bought 2 Vizio hdtv in the past and bought of them went bad after 2 years of usage. So I will not buy another Vizio..learned my lesson.

The very first professional review of this Panasonic TC-L47ET5 that I pulled up states:
"But its picture quality doesn't measure up to Vizio's or LG's passive 3D screens, and doesn't come close to matching active 3D HDTVs."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407659,00.asp

There's so much more to it than brand. You realize Vizio doesn't make their own panels, right? In many cases, they use LG panels. Vizio DOES target value oriented consumers, but when does value mean bad? I'd think if anything else you'd learn, being on FatWallet, that cost does not always equal quality. I'm not saying that Vizio's top model will beat Sony's top model, I'm saying that many of Vizio's products at, say, a $600 price point will beat out an LG or Panasonic product at the same price point in visual quality. The reason the TVs you look at in the store look washed out is because they're not calibrated or they're on a bad setting. That $600 Vizio is probably right next to that $900 Panasonic as well (that's an upsell tactic, btw).

ProppaT's right here, on this particular panasonic, & in that Vizios can look just as good especially among those name brands of the same price point. They use most of the same components, for instance you'll find LG S-IPS panels even in some of their cheapest warehouse special models.

The only potential problem that one can encounter with Vizio that you would not with LG, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc. is that after your warranties (extended warranties, square trade's etc.) are up with Vizio, you have no recourse to get it fixed, even if you want to pay for it. It is in that respect, disposable. But out of the box vizio can hold its own.

jlh2600 said:   ProppaT's right here, on this particular panasonic, & in that Vizios can look just as good especially among those name brands of the same price point. They use most of the same components, for instance you'll find LG S-IPS panels even in some of their cheapest warehouse special models.

The only potential problem that one can encounter with Vizio that you would not with LG, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, etc. is that after your warranties (extended warranties, square trade's etc.) are up with Vizio, you have no recourse to get it fixed, even if you want to pay for it. It is in that respect, disposable. But out of the box vizio can hold its own.

Right, with Vizio YMMV with the warranty and build quality, but that's where you're giving in. In all fairness, Vizio will often times use poorer circuitry. You'll see them pulling behind in areas such as 24fps cadence just because they use cheaper chipsets in some of their TVs, but the raw picture quality is at the same level (they're using the same panels) at a much cheaper price. It's not like a Westinghouse or a Sceptre where they're typically cutting all costs, Vizio is ususally pretty smart about how they cut their corners. FWIW, I'm a huge fan of Panasonic plasma sets (that's basically all I consider...sad to see them dumping plasma production over the next couple years)...I'm not a Vizio evangelist, I'm just pointing out that this Panasonic TV is a particularly poor model. I'd save my money and get a bottom basement set before wasting money on a TV with as many issues as this one.

I have owned and currently own many various plasmas, LEDs, LCDs of all sizes from 23" Samsungs Toshibas, 27" Hannsprees, 32" Hannsprees, 42" Panasonics and LGs, 47" LGs and Samsungs, 55" LGs, 60" Sharps.

I have NEVER had a problem with any TV failing on me ever, except a 42" Vizio that had a 1 year warranty and the screen went unwatchably green in the 13th month. The Vizio was never abused. Just sat on the TV stand and was used a few times a week.

I know it's a small sample size, but my personal experience tells me to simply never buy a Vizio.

I would like to buy this tv

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014