Windows 7 Licenses for 50-75% off!

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
Reset2k, you don't know what you are talking about. They sent me a real COA in the U.S. mail.

Beekeeper said:   Reset2k, you don't know what you are talking about. They sent me a real COA in the U.S. mail.

Ok Beekeeper, go ahead and believe that what you got was genuine... I surely don't know what I'm talking about. I could go on and on about what certifications I have with Microsoft as I own a computer repair shop and do custom computer builds for major fortune 500 companies - but why waste your time with my nonsense that I have no idea about. Yes Beekeeper, you got a SMOKING HOT DEAL! Congratulations!

Interesting that most of the posts about how fine this deal is are from 'New Members'

I am confused at why reset2k is so angry?

I understand and appreciate your views. But the fact that not a single person has reported they have purchased this and didn't get exactly what they wanted or expected or had any issues at all should speak for itself? And its been several months for some of them (us) who first purchased it. If you don't want to buy it. Then don't.

And you do get a physical copy of the COA in the mail. The scanned copy they say in the email confirmation is just for your "convenience and quality assurance".

All in all a Good buy.

Also, many people (not new) have posted on many other forums about this: Like HERE

If you are a system builder, you would know that if they were all Dell-specific disks, they would only install on Dell machines. Moreover, the fact that they send a scan of the COA is not an invalidation of anything as long as the original COA is provided.

As another person said, there are two types of OEM disks. (1) OEM manufacturer-specific that typically will only install on machines with an identifier for that manufacturer and (2) OEM System Builder licenses that allow it to be sold with a new piece of hardware.

Unless you are installing on the same manufacturer and, in some cases, even the same series, the first type is worthless to you. It is not legal to resell these licenses or transfer them machine to machine...once they are applied to a machine, it stays with it.

The second one is a bit more fuzzy, as the requirements say it has to be sold by someone that builds systems for sale and that it only be sold with accompanying hardware. For many years now, sites/companies that DO build have sold these with a single piece of hardware that technically made it pass the requirement. You buy a keyboard, hard drive, stick of memory, etc. and you could buy an OEM license. This is legit. Other sites/companies sell OEM System Builder packs that are 3 or 5 or 10 of these licenses. When MS started allowing this, they gave up their ability to limit that it is only installed by licensed system builders, as they are (1) not verifying someone is part of some licensed group and (2) not applying the license to a build, thereby invalidating that first sale doctrine exception mentioned earlier. Either way, as before, once one of these is applied to a build, it stays with that build and cannot be resold.

As for the legitimacy of these disks, if you are buying the system builder disk without any hardware at all, they are not legit...period.

reset2k said:   Beekeeper said:   Reset2k, you don't know what you are talking about. They sent me a real COA in the U.S. mail.

Ok Beekeeper, go ahead and believe that what you got was genuine... I surely don't know what I'm talking about.

This thread has slid into fast and loose use of words like "genuine" and "illegal".

Just because a company violates its contract with Microsoft in selling Windows 7 keys doesn't make you the customer out to be someone who is committing an illegal act. Also just because a real COA is sent in an envelope doesn't invalidate its status as genuine. Companies buy bulk COAs all the time and I'm pretty sure when they buy a thousand COAs they don't come in a box with a thousand discs.

With that being said if someone wants to do some due diligence on the companies behind this offer you can start to answer some questions like who is Ben Lye, owner of AssassinHTPC. Also who is Jett Computer Systems and why are they now handling sales for this offer. A difficult question because the domain was just created on 4/04/2013 and its whois protected. Both companies are located in Indianapolis.

Even more interesting is how can they now offer a 40 percent off deal bringing the price for windows 7 down to $36. Just think about what they have to pay for it themselves to make the deal worth their time. So you ask how does a little system builder/servicer operation have the buying power to get Windows licenses that cheap?

lowpricewanted said:   

This thread has slid into fast and loose use of words like "genuine" and "illegal".

Just because a company violates its contract with Microsoft in selling Windows 7 keys doesn't make you the customer out to be someone who is committing an illegal act. Also just because a real COA is sent in an envelope doesn't invalidate its status as genuine. Companies buy bulk COAs all the time and I'm pretty sure when they buy a thousand COAs they don't come in a box with a thousand discs.

Thanks for clearing that up - but it's not whether the keys are genuine - as they probably are for the intent that Microsoft had for them when they were initially sold. These are now, however, not genuine due to the license agreement that has been violated. I can purchase an OEM system builder disc and install it on my computer, then uninstall it and install it on another - it's genuine - until I decided to move that license. That is the intent of my use of "genuine" (just to clear that up).

In other words, a Windows license can be genuine up until the point of violating the license agreement - which voids its ability to be called "genuine".

Odd that both of these are at the same physical address.

Assassin HTPC Global Headquarters
5356 Hillside Ave
Indianapolis, IN. 46220
Domain Name.......... assassinhtpc.com
Creation Date........ 2011-04-25
Registration Date.... 2011-04-25
Expiry Date.......... 2014-04-25
Organisation Name.... Ben Lye
Organisation Address. 6163 Ralston Ave
Organisation Address. Indianapolis
Organisation Address. 46220
Organisation Address. IN
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

http://www.necoindustrialwater.com/contact-us/
Nancrede Engineering Co- Industrial Water Treatment
5356 Hillside Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Registrant:
Nancrede Engineering
5356 Hillside Ave
Indianapolis, Indiana 46220
United States

Administrative Contact:
Nancrede, Chris christopherdavid99@yahoo.com
Nancrede Engineering
5356 Hillside Ave
Indianapolis, Indiana 46220
United States

For those who are unaware of what a real Windows 7 OEM license/disc looks like from Newegg, below is a link that shows pictures of all the packaging you receive with it. You have to scroll down to get to the pictures.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-7/no-oem-you-windows-7-oem-packaging-not-individuals

reset2k said:   lowpricewanted said:   

Thanks for clearing that up - but it's not whether the keys are genuine - as they probably are for the intent that Microsoft had for them when they were initially sold. These are now, however, not genuine due to the license agreement that has been violated. I can purchase an OEM system builder disc and install it on my computer, then uninstall it and install it on another - it's genuine - until I decided to move that license. That is the intent of my use of "genuine" (just to clear that up).

In other words, a Windows license can be genuine up until the point of violating the license agreement - which voids its ability to be called "genuine".

I totally get what you're saying and yes once Microsoft is aware of the violation the copies will no longer be considered genuine. I think we are all still speculating on the source of these COAs and right now they seem to be in a gray area. There is nothing to say they are down right fraudulent like stolen or pulled off unregistered PCs. I would guess its more like left overs from a mass build out for an office or a failed business where IT equipment is sold off in bulk. It still could be COAs from the Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher program and if that is the case they should be shut down.

handyguy. What? Here's my join date:

December 21st 2000 3:41 PM

reset2k said:   For those who are unaware of what a real Windows 7 OEM license/disc looks like from Newegg, below is a link that shows pictures of all the packaging you receive with it. You have to scroll down to get to the pictures.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-7/no-oem-you-windows-7-oem-packaging-not-individuals

What part of "yes" I know what a COA is it you don't understand?

Heck, I could be at that address in 20 minutes.

Beekeeper said:   reset2k said:   For those who are unaware of what a real Windows 7 OEM license/disc looks like from Newegg, below is a link that shows pictures of all the packaging you receive with it. You have to scroll down to get to the pictures.

What part of "yes" I know what a COA is it you don't understand?

Beekeeper, I wasn't even referring to you with that post so chill out.

FinancialAnalyst said:   Did anyone else notice that the link provided by OP (which is http://www.assassinhtpc.com/windows.php) is not linked from the company's home page? I looked at all the links on the home page and there is no way to get to this Windows deal. So it's a hidden deal that only people who know the exact link (like from Internet forums) can find.

There's a reason why they're not proud of this Windows deal and are hiding it behind a hidden link. Anyway, I used to do consulting for Microsoft. I forwarded the link to my contact on the Windows team and he said they will take care of it.

How is that "taking care of it" thing working out for you ?

Yes they are
Why so hostile?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014