Mulch $1 - 2 cu - Home Depot - YMMV

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Its that time of year again.

Home Depot has Mulch on sale for $1. Ad doesn't state limit, but it shows 40 limit for product.
Looks like it just started in 21st.

http://localad.homedepot.com

Member Summary

mulch
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Where, please?

manderson660 (Mar. 29, 2013 @ 12:12p) |

my city offers mulch for free. never runs out. check yours if they do the same thing.

cptbarkey189 (Mar. 29, 2013 @ 12:15p) |

Just as a heads up. "Kellogg" has a $1/bag mail in rebate for all their soil products which can be stacked with any deal... (more)

anglr200 (Mar. 29, 2013 @ 1:18p) |

Title now updated by Mods to include YMMV - Thanks.

"Likely local -YMMV - as has been in prior years.

OP and others may want to provide their "local circular" as reference points.

Past years this very low price was not available in the NE.

OP's deal probably represents ~50% off for OP's area. In the past the areas with a similar range "sale" varied by location. May happen later in NE, maybe Earth day time frame. Possibly 4/$10 for one of two "brands" of colored mulch, that may be in the $3.75-$4.99/bag range regularly."
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

New homeowner here - never bought mulch before. Is this a good price? How much does it cost when you buy it by the truckload? I need a lot so I was trying to figure out the best way to buy it.

Its about half or more off reg bagged cost. Having it delivered would not be any cheaper, and with delivery you have it dumped into large pile; so with bags... makes it easier transport once on site. Ive been able to fit about 40 bags into a minivan (seats removed). If need be do multiple transactions and rent one of the HD trucks for $20.

Myers215 said:   New homeowner here - never bought mulch before. Is this a good price? How much does it cost when you buy it by the truckload? I need a lot so I was trying to figure out the best way to buy it.

It's a good price, not sure what kind of mulch it is because the deal is not in my ad

Prices vary whether you want chips, cedar mulch, red cedar, black and it goes on; I'm sure also varies by state. For the bottom layer I would use what you can find least expensive. Then the top 2-3 inches go with the look you want. It is *usually* cheaper to do truckloads. Also, check with your local dump / transfer station, if they accept brush they probably have mulch. My town it is free (fill your truck yourself) so I used that for starters.
If my math is right (where's Aarzi?) this deal would be $18/yard

I don't see it in my local AD...78613

My local mulch is on sale for $2 bag...

3/$10 in local ad here! What a ripoff!

Likely local -YMMV - as has been in prior years.

OP and others may want to provide their "local circular" as reference points.

Past years this very low price was not available in the NE.

OP's deal probably represents ~50% off for OP's area. In the past the areas with a similar range "sale" varied by location. May happen later in NE, maybe Earth day time frame. Possibly 4/$10 for one of two "brands" of colored mulch, that may be in the $3.75-$4.99/bag range regularly.

JaxFL said:   ... and with delivery you have it dumped into large pile; so with bags... makes it easier transport once on site....

must agree on that one! And also should mention you need to have a very large tarp so the pile doesn't get wet (unless you can actually get things done in one day, but that never happens around here).

The only mulch sale in ours is 3/$10 which is pretty much regular price
(Connecticut)

This is very YMMV unless you are willing to drive 500 miles for a few bags of mulch.

May be its early in season for some of you. Also I know Lowes had a very similar deal last year as well. So just time to start keeping eye out.

kickerstarter said:   This is very YMMV unless you are willing to drive 500 miles for a few bags of mulch.

And mulch is heavy.

What's the cost of gasoline at the mulch sale location and how much gasoline does it take in some average vehicle to transport each bag of mulch ???

Myers215 said:   New homeowner here - never bought mulch before. Is this a good price? How much does it cost when you buy it by the truckload? I need a lot so I was trying to figure out the best way to buy it.

The cheapest way is craigslist. Tree removal companies will drop off a huge pile on your driveway free. But it's HARD to shovel out eight cubic yards of it!

No go in Dallas

AmishBoy said:   3/$10 in local ad here! What a ripoff!

Same for me in 60462

Based on OP's name, I checked Jacksonville, FL and found it at $1 per bag. Will HD price match their own ad? What about Lowe's?

gizmo said:   For the bottom layer I would use what you can find least expensive. Then the top 2-3 inches go with the look you want.Most people overmulch, especially around trees. Two or three inches is plenty to provide weed control and preserve moisture. More than that, especially around tree trunks, chokes your plants.

gizmo said:   ...Also, check with your local dump / transfer station, if they accept brush they probably have mulch. My town it is free (fill your truck yourself) so I used that for starters...Everything they collect goes in the shredder, which means you get the pests, weeds, and any other contaminant that comes in with the yard debris. Personally, I wouldn't advise using the free mulch.

And DC is the world capital of over-mulching. Companies here put a foot or more up the trunk of the tree. It looks ridiculous everywhere you look, but people here now think that's what you are supposed to do. It leads to the roots growing up into the mulch ball, where they will eventually encircle the trunk and choke the tree to death. ]

FYI.

Since you're a new homeowner, and assuming you don't already know (I didn't either, at the the time) Keep WOOD mulch away from your house. Do not WOOD mulch beds in close proximity to or against your foundation or structure. I have been told by more than one Pest expert that doing so CAN attract subterranean termites, which then can move into your house undetected and cause massive amounts of damage. I live is the Southeast US, maybe it's not an issue in your area.

Pine straw and Pine bark are suitable against the foundation in my area.

6 for $10 in ATL. Cypress Mulch.

Even though it's available in the stores locally at $1 (Jacksonville, FL), I always order on line for pickup at the store. This locks the price and provides me a 1-week window for pickup, including at times when every local gardener is not there trying to load up. Also, in past yearsm I've seen it cheaper on line when it is priced higher at the store. Those of you who are not finding it locally at $1 may want to go on-line to see if it is offered for shipment to your local store at the $1 price point.

May want to wait a week, Discover Card 5% Cash Back at Home Improvement stores starts in April.

Mulch smells disgusting.

The past couple of years they only had one color on sale, an ugly/bright reddish color. Is it the same this year?

BTW mulch is pretty light-until it gets wet.

FatBoy007 said:   I don't see it in my local AD...78613Not here in my part of South Texas, either.

Can't locate it in Michigan.

Thanks OP. Just picked up 40 bags for $40 in Tampa. The mulch is bagged in Lake City, FL which has plenty of pulp forestry going on nearby. My assumption, it is pine mulch. Same type, same red color as the Lowes deal last year although that may have been regional as well.

I know in Chicago... John San philippo...in elk grove ... You could go get pecan shells for free.

jonesjeremya said:   Myers215 said:   New homeowner here - never bought mulch before. Is this a good price? How much does it cost when you buy it by the truckload? I need a lot so I was trying to figure out the best way to buy it.

FYI.

Since you're a new homeowner, and assuming you don't already know (I didn't either, at the the time) Keep WOOD mulch away from your house. Do not WOOD mulch beds in close proximity to or against your foundation or structure. I have been told by more than one Pest expert that doing so CAN attract subterranean termites, which then can move into your house undetected and cause massive amounts of damage. I live is the Southeast US, maybe it's not an issue in your area.

Pine straw and Pine bark are suitable against the foundation in my area.
Yes definitely... Even though you could put sand blasting sand down... Or use termidor, and this would apply just about .anywhere in us, as termites are known...

My location Martha Stewart is on sale.

Heres a tip: pick out ripped bags and ask a manager to reduce them 50% off. Works every time. A Manager taught me this tip last Spring.

Scott's black, red or brown 3x2 cu ft bags for $10 in MA.

Agree on anything more than 3", in total, chokes plants. Keep away from tree trunk.

Cheap mulch is usually ground up pallets. Cheap mulch loses color at first rain storm. Read product reviews. Expensive mulch guarantees color for a year.

Good bagged mulch is way more expensive than truckloads. Prices vary by state. You want good quality, not pallets, with color that will last. Good quality holds color for 2 or 3 years. Pallets create chunks which don't hold together, allowing pieces to blow away. A good mulch weaves together and lasts years.

If you put down weed block fabric, mulch degrades slower and much less weeding.

For a truckload, the more you buy the cheaper per yard. For 15+ yards, in PA I paid low $20s per yard. In Michigan high 20s. I do close to 30 yards, delivered in a semi, every 3 years or so.

Spend a lot of time prepping, edging so it looks great. Put down weed fabric. Put down a total of 3 inches and use a stick to measure. Use a calculator to figure needs after measuring beds, lots on the web. Then add a few yards, especially if you have a spot to save extra.

We use a cart behind mower and put in trash barrels when cart cannot be backed up to spot. Figure volume of each container and track with chalk marks on driveway to keep dealer you bought from honest, some try to scam you. Same with firewood.

Bark mulch is naturally insect resistant. Most wood eating insects bore through the bark and eat the tree from the inside, not the bark itself. Cheap mulch is frequently pulpwood that is shredded and dyed. This attracts termites. They say they treat it to be insect resistant but how do you know? I spread 10 yards of mulch every spring (4 out of that 10 is waiting for me on my driveway right now). I pay $29 / yard (a yard is about a pickup truck bed) for double shredded hardwood delivered. The way I figure it, if I'm going to work the better part of a weekend loading countless wheelbarrows etc. and busting my ass spreading the stuff I'm not going to scrimp on cheap ass mulch...

Citi® Dividend Card also 5% back at HD starting April 1st. Chase Freedom is 5% back at Lowe's for 2Q as well.

AmishBoy said:   3/$10 in local ad here! What a ripoff!

Same in NY ad

Just a heads up. Last year I found this deal at Home Depot and picked up several bags, when I started to spread it I thought it looked unlike other mulch I had been using over the years. Come to find out, it not only contained mulch but also a bunch of chopped up used lumber and pallets and much of it was larger chunks. Was told by a old landscape contractor that this stuff was not so much mulch but used wood that often will attract bugs. The stuff also did not look very good. I took it all back and went back to my regular mulch. Not saying that this stuff is the same as last year, but the saying is usually true "you get what you pay for".

It's 3 for $10 - Central Coast, CA. The best I've seen in the past few years is 4 for $10.

PatrickBateman said:   Heres a tip: pick out ripped bags and ask a manager to reduce them 50% off. Works every time. A Manager taught me this tip last Spring.

Was working as a cashier at meijer, and a guy comes up with ripped bags. I say wow such a deal as I ring them up. He says Yes, and I'll come back and rip up a few more next time!

Skipping 14 Messages...
Just as a heads up. "Kellogg" has a $1/bag mail in rebate for all their soil products which can be stacked with any deals.
Link: http://www.mykellogggarden.com/rebates/consumer/rebateForm.jsp

Register here for your rebate.
This online rebate offer is valid until 12/31/2013 for up to $10 per address ($1per bag up to 10 bags).
All fields are required.
We will send you a copy of this rebate form through email. Print and send it, together with your original, dated receipt(s) with items encircled, and the original proof-of-purchase UPC code(s) from the bag(s) to :
Kellogg Rebate Offer
c/o Pieper and Associates
19823 Hamilton Avenue
Torrance, CA 90502

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014