• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hey Folks,

My IPOD Nano died after 4 years, decided to replace it with a different MP3 player. The reviews on this were pretty good. The Best Buy price was the best I found. Not sure what the in store price at Wal Mart is.

BEST BUY LINK

This seemed like a pretty good review comparing it to the IPOD.

Cip VS Nano

A good music device for the gym.

Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

sansa (7.52kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary

This is a great little player, I've used this model and the clip zip for quite a while now. I love the expandability of the microSD slot and it's nice to be able to listen to music/podcasts and not drain my phone battery. Also, the drag n drop file transfer method is so easy as opposed to something like the dreaded iTunes.

That being said, the $30 price point is pretty average for this particular unit. Well worth the money IMO... but average.

Hack it with Rockbox and make it an even better little player.

I agree with both comments above. Had one for a few months and thought it was great, so bought a few more when they were on sale at Newegg. I paid in the $30 range - they were refurbs. this one says its new.

And definitely do the Rockbox flash. So much better then stock firmware. Way more options then I would ever use.

Had one for a couple of years. The audiophile's choice-it plays FLAC files natively.

Is there any similar-size MP3 player but using AAA battery?

I do not like these rechargable MP3 player, because the battery life (for one charge) is a kind of issue.

whuhoyo said:   Is there any similar-size MP3 player but using AAA battery?

I do not like these rechargable MP3 player, because the battery life (for one charge) is a kind of issue.

I get about 8-10 hours per charge on this model. If you need extended time, get a USB battery pack for $7 from monoprice or wherever to extend your play time on the go. Rechargeable MP3's are way better then the AAA model IMHO.

definitely install Rockbox on it. i'm done with ipods. i went through 2 ipod touch's in 2 years and both had the headphone jack crap out. these things don't have the fancy touch screen, but strictly as an audio player they are better if you install Rockbox. plus if it ever breaks or your lose it, it's only $30 so no biggie. it's not a financial disaster like having an ipod touch break. also, you can buy a 16 gb microSDHC card cheap online, insert that into your player, and magically you have around 18 gb+ of storage.

honestly, at this price i'd buy two or three just as backups for the day you need a new one. also, rockbox supposedly improves the battery life vs the stock sansa software.

nice player

Battery life not a problem. Great w/ 3.5mm jack to car for road trip or working out.

whuhoyo said:   Is there any similar-size MP3 player but using AAA battery?

You'd have to cut an AAA in half to fit in this baby. It's about the size as a book of matches.

kimgkimg said:   Hack it with Rockbox and make it an even better little player.
toenailsmasher said:   And definitely do the Rockbox flash. So much better then stock firmware. Way more options then I would ever use.
maxxjulie said:   definitely install Rockbox on it.

What does Rockbox do that everyone feels makes such a big difference? I tried it on mine a while back and while it looked very different, I didn't find anything to be useful at all. The only real functional difference I noticed was that my player would occasionally crash when left playing for many hours in a row, so I went back to stock. Let me know what I'm missing so I can partake too!

I've had mine for probably 2-3 years......love it! I ripped all my CDs to .flac. Its been durable, great battery life, great no nonsense BRIGHT led screen, expandable memory (I have a 32gb in there). Seriously for $30 this is a complete no brainer.

That being said, Worst Buy sucks a fat one. This is the EVERY DAY price on Amazon.....I'd highly recommend buying it there and further pushing Worst Buy into BK.

BUY IT HERE

MisterBeefhead said:   What does Rockbox do that everyone feels makes such a big difference? I tried it on mine a while back and while it looked very different, I didn't find anything to be useful at all. The only real functional difference I noticed was that my player would occasionally crash when left playing for many hours in a row, so I went back to stock. Let me know what I'm missing so I can partake too!

A few things I like about rockbox with my clip:
- I can set it to shutdown after it hasn't been playing any audio for a while.
- I reversed the display so that I don't have to turn it around to look at it since I wear it clipped to a lanyard.
- I can delete files. This is supper handy since I like to delete podcasts after listening to them.

It's a great player. I am on my third--all ended up with broken headphone jacks and power buttons--and I still bought new ones because the sound quality and size are perfect.

That said, I got one of these from Newegg (new, not refurbed) for 20.99 at the end of January. So time machine aside, as a price, this isn't that hot.

Now $23.99 refurbished. I've had one of these and loved it, but personally if I wanted another I'd go with Amazon Warehouse Deals - open box item for $22.30 (as of today).

its this price everyday at Amazon??? why did you post this.

Anyone got it play m4b without reencoding?

I have been looking for a good mp3 player for when i work out. Don't want to take my heavy iphone with me but want something that still works well without a huge price tag. Looks like I'll be purchasing this soon!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014