• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

pre 2
Disclaimer
OK I know this post is about two year old technology, but there's still some Palm and webOS fans around. If you have a Palm Pixi Plus smartphone on PagePlus's $29.95 a month, you might want to think of upgrading to this newer phone at $44.99. If you have a touchstone charger, this will work fine on it.
linkydinky
Best Buy is clearing out their old stock, so not sure how many they have of these sitting around. It's best to buy it now if you want it.

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

palm pre
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
just got my phone today - how do you activate it on pageplus ?

kpro (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 5:46p) |

This is very tempting, since I'm currently stuck using a Droid X2 on Verizon. I have an unlocked ATT Pre2 that I've bee... (more)

intelligensys (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 6:08p) |

a person can follow the instructions to activate the palm pixi+ here and use that as a base

(my extremely shortened vers... (more)

VivYip (Apr. 01, 2013 @ 6:54p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Must be a typo.. This is only worth $5.95

I am tempted, but I like the thinness of my Pixi and I think I'd find this to be too bulky in comparison.

Would I need to get a new back cover to use with a Touchstone charger?

Talk on Amazon says it was also $50 not too long ago on Buy.com. Looks like most places are clearing these out at this price.

If only it was for a palm pre 3...

As an owner of a launch day Palm Pre and a lifetime owner of Palm PDAs, it hurts to say this, but these are all terrible phones and you couldn't spend your money in a worse way.

dajabon said:   I am tempted, but I like the thinness of my Pixi and I think I'd find this to be too bulky in comparison.

Would I need to get a new back cover to use with a Touchstone charger?
Palm Pre 2 comes with Touchstone back standard.

kingaroonie said:   If you have a Palm Pixi Plus smartphone on PagePlus's $29.95 a month, you might want to think of upgrading to this newer phone at $51.95. Hmm ... I wonder if these "Prepaid" phones are in VZW's prepaid database, thus banned on Page Plus, or are they just clearing postpaid phones disguised in prepaid packaging?

As site says its a VZ no-contract phone, seems that it may not qualify for Page Plus without "modification" ??

Bizatch said:   Must be a typo.. This is only worth $5.95

I loved my Pre2 until it met a concrete floor about a year ago. This would be tempting if it would work with ATT.

I still use a pre2 and think it's a great phone. All a matter of personal preferences. I'd jump but I already bought a spare for myself when they were $65...

I loved my Palm Pre that I was using at my other job. I even had an app that completely blocked "Anonymous" phone calls. I paid out of pocket $ to replace the awfully heavy Nextel Blackberry. THAT phone was a joke!

i'm tempted by this.... (i still like my palm pixi plus, but it's always tempting to "upgrade")

Is this the phone that a HP touchpad can link up to make a phone call?

Yes it can. My pre 1 can also.

In for one. I love my pixi, but it is getting beat-up.
Gene

OP or others: Would this work with Sprint SERO w/o the added cost ? I am still on $30 plan

invisible said:   OP or others: Would this work with Sprint SERO w/o the added cost ? I am still on $30 plan

No because Sprint only activates phones in there database - Sprint branded phones. They never had even the pre+, only the first pre. Also the Pre was the beginning of the end with Sprint IMHO. That's when they started forcing people off existing plans onto new more expensive ones whenever customers tried to upgrade. It was part if their exclusive 6 month window with the Pre. That said I had a Verizon Pre + and it was very nice for its day.

I have a Pre and it is complete garbage. Laggy, horrible interface, unintuitive GUI, completely unresponsive touch screen...keyboard is impossible to use. Text editing functions require the use a menu and two hands (I'm not kidding). Not to mention complete lack of apps, period. Three years ago it had no apps and it (obviously) has none to speak of today. I rarely use my cell phone so it isn't a really big deal, I will use it until it breaks. But there is no wonder HP threw in the towel with this one. Spending another $30-40 will get you much, much more smartphone.

Looks like a good deal. I just wonder if starting now with a Palm Pre is starting behind the times with technology? I'll think about it.

just in case newbies have questions (like me): http://smartphones.venturebeat.com/compare/56-97/Palm-Pixi-Plus-vs-Palm-Pre-2 I admit, i'm simple, but this convinced me to buy.

M3wThr33 said:   As an owner of a launch day Palm Pre and a lifetime owner of Palm PDAs, it hurts to say this, but these are all terrible phones and you couldn't spend your money in a worse way.

Agreed.. You can find a used Droid X for not much more than this - far, far superior in every way if you are in the market for 2 year old tech.

Red for Verizon.

Ever since I switched to VM $25 phone 2 years ago, I need a backup just in case there are spotty coverage. Pickup a Palm Pixi as a backup and used it with pageplus $10 (120 days plan). Pay $30 year with rollover balance. The battery life on the pixi last over a week while my vm motorola triumph last half a day. If you do use it with pageplus, make sure you disable the mobile data or you'll see your $10 gone in a minute.

Thanks. Lack one.

Verizon is evil.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   kingaroonie said:   If you have a Palm Pixi Plus smartphone on PagePlus's $29.95 a month, you might want to think of upgrading to this newer phone at $51.95. Hmm ... I wonder if these "Prepaid" phones are in VZW's prepaid database, thus banned on Page Plus, or are they just clearing postpaid phones disguised in prepaid packaging?

I'd like to know as well...

invisible said:   OP or others: Would this work with Sprint SERO w/o the added cost ? I am still on $30 plan

Short answer: this phone will not work on SERO, or Sprint at all, unmodified. However...

The comm boards for the Pre and the Pre 2 are identical. This means you can swap a Sprint board into a Verizon phone and activate it on Sprint. If you're adventurous, you can buy this and a cheap Sprint Pre off of an auction site (or the trash heap) and turn it into a FrankenPre:

Wiki

Original Pre on Sprint was a terrible experience. Don't get one to actually use it. FYI, it also require(d)(s) SERO Premium, so you're up to $40/mo regardless.

I have been a Palm Pixi user on Page Plus for probably two years now. Its a great phone but the memory is a big issue and only two or three web pages open will start to give you "sorry too many cards open" errors. The Palm Pre 2 with double the memory is a no brainer if it can be activated on Page Plus. Also the 5 megapixel vs 2 megapixel camera has me interested.

For those that knock Palm durability you need to protect your phone. I added a rubber shell and screen protector off of eBay and it has survived several falls from 4 feet.

lowpricewanted said:   I added a rubber shell and screen protector off of eBay and it has survived several falls from 4 feet.

Since when did Yoda carry a cell phone ?

lowpricewanted said:   I have been a Palm Pixi user on Page Plus for probably two years now. Its a great phone but the memory is a big issue and only two or three web pages open will start to give you "sorry too many cards open" errors. The Palm Pre 2 with double the memory is a no brainer if it can be activated on Page Plus. Also the 5 megapixel vs 2 megapixel camera has me interested.

For those that knock Palm durability you need to protect your phone. I added a rubber shell and screen protector off of eBay and it has survived several falls from 4 feet.

You need to install preware, govnah, and uber kernel to fix your problems. uber kernel fixes the memory issue, and allows you to overclock the pixi to 806Mhz. Google about it.

item is back in stock and price dropped to 44.99

VivYip said:   item is back in stock and price dropped to 44.99

Sold out online and not available for pickup in the NY Metro area.

mbrenner said:   invisible said:   OP or others: Would this work with Sprint SERO w/o the added cost ? I am still on $30 plan

No because Sprint only activates phones in there database - Sprint branded phones. They never had even the pre+, only the first pre. Also the Pre was the beginning of the end with Sprint IMHO. That's when they started forcing people off existing plans onto new more expensive ones whenever customers tried to upgrade. It was part if their exclusive 6 month window with the Pre. That said I had a Verizon Pre + and it was very nice for its day.

You technically could if you are on Sprint, and you love your Pre and webOS
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Sprint_Pre_2

Behold FrankenPre2

FWIW, i got the phone today and activated it with no problems ^_^

(packaging only had sticker on one side of the box and nowhereon the box does it say "prepaid"

called up pageplus and did the ESN change...thank you OP!)

(minor thing that I didn't remember to do... drag all the photo/video/music out of the old phone before changin phones...and jokingly, the pre2 makes me think of a hockey puck...for lefties...otherwise, it's gonna be neat! ^_^)

I bought his phone when it first came out (with the intention of returning it if it displeased me even a little as it as it was ~$500).
Really like it except for 1) the keys on the keyboard are tiny...very tiny and 2) no apps...support for the os was virtually non-existent.

Even at $40 I hesitate to jump back in.

just got my phone today - how do you activate it on pageplus ?

This is very tempting, since I'm currently stuck using a Droid X2 on Verizon. I have an unlocked ATT Pre2 that I've been using exclusively as my alarm clock (because I like the built-in alarm clock and ringtones), podcast player (because I haven't found a free Android podcast player even remotely as awesome as drPodder), and WiFi hotspot when traveling for work. I wish webOS had gone more mainstream, because the multitasking and notifications are so much better implemented webOS than in Android.

kpro said:   just got my phone today - how do you activate it on pageplus ?

a person can follow the instructions to activate the palm pixi+ here and use that as a base

(my extremely shortened version is...and in no way is accurate)

1. get all your personal stuff (music, photos, video) onto computer or just anywhere out of the old phone
2. call pageplus to switch the esn
3. let them walk you through calling a number
3. setup/create palm profile and finsh activating the phone
4. you should be able to use the phone

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014