Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Ruger LCP

Check it out

The Ruger® LCP™ is a compact .380 Auto from the industry leader in rugged, reliable firearms. From backup firearms for law enforcement to licensed carry for personal protection, the LCP is the perfect choice.

Designed with both male and female shooters in mind, the LCP is as affordable as it is reliable. At just 9.40 ounces (with an empty magazine), the LCP is lightweight and ideal for all-day carry - ensuring you have it when and where you need it.

Caliber .380 Auto
Magazine Capacity 6+1
Sights Fixed
Length 5.16"
Width 0.82"
Weight 9.40 oz.
Barrel Length 2.75"
Barrel Material Alloy Steel
Grooves 6
Twist 1:16"

**********************************************************************UPDATE**********************************************************************

Just to give a bit more info on this deal. I just confirmed with the dealer that these are the Gen 2 model LCP and were just manufactured about 10 days ago. The Gen 2 have an improved trigger which has a shorted trigger pull and is now "half cocked". In addition to the trigger improvements the LCP now shows off some improved sights are well. The new sights are much less dehorned then the original sights. Updates and pictures can be found in the link below.

Updates

Hope this helps a bit for anyone on the fence due to these two issues... which honestly I thought were the only things that could be improved on the firearm, but didn't even consider them a "problem".

Cheers!

DW

Member Summary

Ruger LCP (21.21kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I do not advocate carrying in your cargo shorts pocket for two reasons. First being that the LAST thing your want to be ... (more)

DesertWarden (Mar. 30, 2013 @ 12:36p) |

This comment may be accurate. They charged my credit card but have not shipped to my knowledge, nor did I receive an em... (more)

kram2583 (Apr. 08, 2013 @ 11:47a) |

I have a question that slightly off-topic. Have any of you guys bought a pearce grip extension for this pistol ? Is it a... (more)

Stas1976 (Apr. 08, 2013 @ 11:56a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

In for one... been waiting on a deal. Surprised at the price even in current climate.Hoffman's Gun Center is having a "Ruger Dealer of the Year Sale" on a few different Ruger if anyone has been trying to pick up one of the Ruger models.

Cheers!

DW

Wish this was Mass legal. I'd be on it like flies on shit.

Crazy how gun prices are...I bought the .380 LaserMax version 45 days ago for $259. If you can, wait until this blows over.

lol, they have a 'raspberry' colored one for same price.
raspberry_gun

shampooguy said:   Crazy how gun prices are...I bought the .380 LaserMax version 45 days ago for $259. If you can, wait until this blows over.

Where did you manage that one? I have never seen them sell that low even without the laser. $259 out the door? Or $259 plus tax, shipping, transfer fee, etc?

chilig said:   lol, they have a 'raspberry' colored one for same price.
raspberry_gun

The raspberry version is $20 cheaper at $269.95, normal version is $289.95.

No ammo to shoot, what is the gun for? (j/k)

+1 For a gun deal during hard gun-shopping times.

However, this thing, being so slim, is painful to shoot/practice with at the range. Wife and I rented one 18 months ago, because is was tiny and would fit nicely in her assortment of purses. Sadly, I'm not a fan of a gun I'd regret practicing with.

chilig said:   lol, they have a 'raspberry' colored one for same price.
raspberry_gun

Ruger LCP Raspberry, is more suitable for females.

Logan71 said:   +1 For a gun deal during hard gun-shopping times.

However, this thing, being so slim, is painful to shoot/practice with at the range. Wife and I rented one 18 months ago, because is was tiny and would fit nicely in her assortment of purses. Sadly, I'm not a fan of a gun I'd regret practicing with.

Completely agree with you Logan. One thing to keep in mind with a firearm of this "class", this is not a range/fun gun. It will beat your hand up after a few magazines. With that being said this firearm was designed for concealed carry and to be used for just that. Do not think if you are going to purchase this that you will be taking it out every weekend lol.

My buddy has a S&W BodyGuard (I don't recommend) which is much like the LCP and that thing beats you up too. I purchased this for CC during the summer months because it get uncomfortable to always carry my Glock 23 with crossbreed holster. Its VERY hot and you get sweaty fast lol. I will being using this as just something to throw in the shorts pocket to carry instead of having to throw on a holster. Its a great little gun especially with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (Just ordered)

Anyways you still need to train with it and I feel that if you get to the range a fire a box at least once a month with it you'll be fine. Its a great little point and shoot gun!

Cheers!

DW

Be careful with these subcompact .380 pistols. Because of their small size it is absolutely essential that you have a strong grip and control that recoil/muzzle flip. If your wrist absorbs ANY recoil it will be hard to make it through a magazine without a failure to eject. I put several hundred rounds through mine before giving up. I am now looking at Kahrs.

glock65803 said:   Be careful with these subcompact .380 pistols. Because of their small size it is absolutely essential that you have a strong grip and control that recoil/muzzle flip. If your wrist absorbs ANY recoil it will be hard to make it through a magazine without a failure to eject. I put several hundred rounds through mine before giving up. I am now looking at Kahrs.

I believe that is called limp wristing? This is a failure that will happen with any pistol that is not being controlled properly. I have seen these pistol in action and they are highly reliable. A few friends have them with nothing but good things to say. Obviously it doesn't fit the bill on every aspect but no firearm ever will. You have to weight out the pros and cons to see what works best for YOUR specific needs. Do you need a large purchase to grasp? Is capacity important to you? Are you recoil sensitive? These are all things that need to be considered when purchasing a firearm.

Kahr does make some quality firearms however I can sit and knock on them all day as well from experience and others issues. Regardless I suggest to anyone new to firearms or interested in getting into a new "genre" of firearm to go and test fire as many different calibers, sizes and manufacturers as you can, see what works for YOUR needs.

Cheers!

DW

glock65803 said:   Be careful with these subcompact .380 pistols. Because of their small size it is absolutely essential that you have a strong grip and control that recoil/muzzle flip. If your wrist absorbs ANY recoil it will be hard to make it through a magazine without a failure to eject. I put several hundred rounds through mine before giving up. I am now looking at Kahrs.

Second that. Selling mine. Downright painful gun to shoot and the trigger pull is absolutely miserable. Much happier with the Bersa Thunder.

I agree about testing before you buy Warden. I am also very familiar with limp wristing and can assure you that is was not the case. It was a combination of small surface area to hold onto (below the trigger guard) and fairly large hands. I just wanted potential buyers to be aware of this so they could be informed. Mine was a 370- serial number gun and that was the original series, so maybe they have changed a spring or something. An attorney friend is getting rid of his as well for similar reasons.

I'm not knocking the design. It was obviously good enough for Ruger to "borrow" from Kel-tec. I have also heard horror stories of Kahr and many others. My intent wasn't to bash the Ruger and recommend any alternative. I was just sharing my experience with the LCP. This is a good deal for someone who knows they want an LCP.

Is this a great gun? YES, it is!

Is an LCP for everyone? NO, it's not!

No single product, no matter what it is, is perfect for everyone. Why would a Ruger LCP be any different?

That said...

This gun is meant for a specific portion of the market, and won't be right for some people, especially sensitive shooters. Women, since they tend to have smaller hands, do well with this gun. Men with smaller hands may find it more comfortable than a guy with bigger hands. In any event this is not a range gun, but is for concealed carry and is a self-defense weapon, not something you will enjoy shooting at the range. You may not be able to put 200-300 rounds through an LCP in one trip to the range. Your hands will get sore and your grip will feel beaten up. But that doesn't mean the gun isn't a great gun. Just remember what this gun is for. For self defense you would be using this gun at a distance of about 7 yards, or 21 feet - or less. You don't need to be able to hit a bulls-eye at the range from 25 yards. That's not realistic in the real world. And for concealed carry it helps to have a gun that is super easy to carry, because that is the gun you will have with you.

So what if an LCP isn't all that comfortable to shoot? A gun that is more comfortable to shoot will most likely be much bigger and weigh more, and will probably end up being left behind at home in your gun safe or in your car, because it is too big to conceal with what you want to wear or because it isn't comfortable to carry. You will find a Ruger LCP is an excellent choice to carry with you, comfortably, with just about any clothes you wear in most places. For this reason, you will find you can carry an LCP with you, making it a much better gun than a larger, heavier gun that is in your gun safe or car.

The best gun is the one you have with you.

Thanks for the post OP! This is a decent price now and even before the current climate. And yes, it has been cheaper and could be had for this price with a laser (which is when I got it). Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore also runs good deals on this (when in stock).

I've had my LCP for a few months and finally got to the range to try it out. I had heard so many horror stories about how hard it was to shoot, long trigger pull, etc. that I was expecting a miserable experience. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it was not that bad. Yes, it's a small gun, so it's not easy to be accurate at longer ranges but the sights are serviceable and when I use the laser, it's even better. The thinness of it does make it a little harder to grip and I'm just able to wrap three fingers around it. However, this thing disappears when you drop it in your jeans or shorts pocket.

Just a side note, the Lasermax (oops not Crimson Trace) I have on this is actually what makes this a little uncomfortable on my trigger finger. The part that covers the guard has a little edge that rubs my finger sore, but as soon as I get the Dremel to it, it will be fine.

I sold my P3AT for a Kahr P380. Really wish I hadn't. Yes the P3/LCP type guns are hard to hold onto, but just get a Pierce grip extension, or better a MAG extension for an extra round. The Kahr is a more modern design with a striker vs. hammer fired, but the mag retention system on the Kahr sucks. Mine would drop the mag during recoil and would scratch the heck out of the follower. Had to send it back. Seems to work after service, but the whole mag release design seems weak. The fit/finish is far better, stainless, etc., but IMHO, not worth the double+ price.

friendly2009 said:   No ammo to shoot, what is the gun for? (j/k)

uhhhh, you can throw them .....hello?

Although not a Hot Deal, a great alternative these small frame semi-autos is the S & W 640 Revolver. Yeah, only 5 shots (then throw it at them), uber-reliable, incredibly sweet trigger pull, 38 or 357 rounds. Yes, the 357 will beat the crap out your hands, but no concerns over any type of fail to feed, eject, etc. due to limp wristing, improper magazine insertion, etc. I think I could use mine as a hammer and it would still fire perfectly.

Then the S#$t hits the fan with a inexperienced shooter, a wheel gun would be my first choice.

I've had this LCP since it first came out a few years ago, and I, too, think it's one of the best conceal guns you can get. I keep it in my back pocket all the time, even when singing on the Praise Team at church since I'm on the Security Team. No, it's not a gun you want to shoot hundreds of rounds with on a given day... but with the hollow points I have in it, it IS an easily carried gun that I feel secure with in the case of having to use it. I pray that I don't, but if I need to protect myself or somebody else, I can highly recommend it.

I can also highly recommend this DeSantis Trickster holster. It masks it really well and is comfortable to use as well, plus it's a better holster than some of the half holsters. The half holsters wear my pants pocket out - this one does not.

I have a Ruger LCP. After seeing it in the store (while looking for a 9mm to carry/conceal) I did some research on the Ruger LCP, and it seemed to be *the* backup weapon of choice by law enforcement. After reading all of the positive things on various forums I decided that it suited my needs more than a 9mm, so I went to the store and bought the last LCP they had in stock.

When I took my CCDW class the officer who taught the class saw my LCP and passed it around the room so people could see the type of weapon that he himself carries on the job.
When my friend took a CCDW class the LCP was the weapon that her instructor carried as well.
After passing my CCDW class I put a picture of the target & gun on Facebook, and my friend from out of state (a cop in L.A.) said that I had the same weapon that he used as his backup gun.

I'm a big guy and I have big hands. The gun isn't fun to plink with because I can only get a couple fingers on it and there is substantial "trigger slap" which makes my finger sore if I put a lot of rounds through it. This is not a range gun. It is a tool meant to be concealed and used in case of emergencies.

Let's face it, there is always a give-and-take as far as gun design goes. If I had to defend my life in a gun fight I'd want an assault rifle. However, assault rifles aren't exactly easy to carry around or conceal. Having the stopping power of a .45 would be nice too, but those are still big/bulky and hard to conceal.
LCP stands for Lightweight Compact Pistol and the Ruger is light and compact, which is why so many people carry it. It isn't as comfortable to shoot as a full sized gun, but since 99.9%+ of people will never need to fire a gun in an emergency situation having something comfortable to carry is a bigger concern.

This gun car be carried in a pocket, in an ankle holster, in a paddle holster, on the belt, etc. I like the paddle holster (as long as I have a coat on) but when I take my dogs for a walk in the woods I'll often just slip it into my pocket in case a coyote shows up.
Note: There is a special "Coyote" model of the Ruger LCP, which was designed to commemorate the governor of Texas who used his Ruger LCP to kill a coyote who attacked his dog while he was taking it on a walk.

If you want more grip on the gun you can get a Garrison grip extension which adds 1.5" to the grip. They are substantially cheaper on eBay than they are on Amazon, and make handling the gun a bit easier if you have big hands.
I qualified for my CCDW with the Garrison grip extension, but once I started carrying it concealed I took the extension off because I found the extra 1.5" to be less comfortable to carry.

The cool think about a raspberry colored gun is you don't have to shoot anyone. The crook will be incapacitated laughing.

I'm selling mine as well, and for a number of reasons. The gun is basically a rib-sticker, and the trigger-pull is awful. I have no issue with it hurting my hand, and I've put a bunch of clips through it. I do like the compact design and the concealability of the LCP, but the accuracy (even with the Crimson Trace) is not good (at least in my hands, and I've owned at least a dozen pistols) and that trigger pull -- ugh. I much prefer my Walther PK380, not that the two are a direct comparison.

Indeed -- everything is a trade-off. Depends on what features are most important to YOU.

No ultra-concealable gun (of a respectable caliber) is going to be a pleasure to shoot, at least for everybody.

Sonofspam said:   Is this a great gun? YES, it is!

Is an LCP for everyone? NO, it's not!

No single product, no matter what it is, is perfect for everyone. Why would a Ruger LCP be any different?

That said...

This gun is meant for a specific portion of the market, and won't be right for some people, especially sensitive shooters. Women, since they tend to have smaller hands, do well with this gun. Men with smaller hands may find it more comfortable than a guy with bigger hands. In any event this is not a range gun, but is for concealed carry and is a self-defense weapon, not something you will enjoy shooting at the range. You may not be able to put 200-300 rounds through an LCP in one trip to the range. Your hands will get sore and your grip will feel beaten up. But that doesn't mean the gun isn't a great gun. Just remember what this gun is for. For self defense you would be using this gun at a distance of about 7 yards, or 21 feet - or less. You don't need to be able to hit a bulls-eye at the range from 25 yards. That's not realistic in the real world. And for concealed carry it helps to have a gun that is super easy to carry, because that is the gun you will have with you.

So what if an LCP isn't all that comfortable to shoot? A gun that is more comfortable to shoot will most likely be much bigger and weigh more, and will probably end up being left behind at home in your gun safe or in your car, because it is too big to conceal with what you want to wear or because it isn't comfortable to carry. You will find a Ruger LCP is an excellent choice to carry with you, comfortably, with just about any clothes you wear in most places. For this reason, you will find you can carry an LCP with you, making it a much better gun than a larger, heavier gun that is in your gun safe or car.

The best gun is the one you have with you.

I wanted an easily concealable semi to carry. I am retired and rarely wear anything but casual shorts and a golf shirt so any belt, inside the belt, or ankle holster isn't practical. I have friends who have the LCP and have had many shooting experiences with one. I tried several of the pocket autos and chose the Smith Bodyguard. I am 6ft 3in and have hands that belong to someone much taller. I can easily palm a basketball with control, so these mini guns are a challenge at best for my mitts. I decided on the bodyguard simply because it fit my hand the best. I have put several hundred rounds thru it getting used to the long pull double action trigger(similar to LCP), and with practice it has become a very accurate short range weapon.

I also have a Glock 10mm model 20 for any heavy lifting but I absolutely hate trying to carry it(or anything that size) except out in the open. These little pocket guns are certainly far from perfect but with practice, they serve the purpose just fine!

Its a pain to shoot, it takes good practice to shoot decently, and even when you shoot decent, its still a man sized target at 20 foot gun. As long as you go into it knowing what it is, its a great piece. If you expect it to do everything, you'll be disappointed.

These are great backup weapons and primary edc carry if size, weight or extreme concealability is the primary concern.

I've shot the ruger before, but bought the original maker of the design, keltec. The only difference is that ruger added a slide lock, which is pretty well useless, it doesn't lock back on the last round. This is common in mouse guns, but suprises people that come from larger guns.

Deal updated!

Cheers!

DW

DesertWarden said:   Deal updated!

Cheers!

DW

Crap! I wish they had had this new model when I bought mine a few months ago. The improvements you link to are actually substantial. I had thought about filing the sights myself to make them stand out more, but I would not want to make it look so ghetto.

I wonder if the trigger pull can be modified easily (by a non-gunsmith)...

I find it hard to believe anyone could beat this price....at any point.

Great deal, i love my LCP380. I'd love to feel the Gen 2 version which keeps the gun half cocked to reduce the trigger pull.

I paid 325 shipped for mine with the Lasermax, which was a great deal from sportsmansoutdoorwarehouse.com over a year ago.

Dave

I have an LCP w/crimson trace. It's a great little gun. Not something you take to the range to plink, but carry it with me in my car.

Well, I bought the S&W Bodyguard. The Ruger LCP was second choice and a very close second. I like the Bodyguard about as much as you can say you like one of these ultra compact guns. And to others, sure, I like the PPK design and trigger a whole lot better, but it is almost half again the size and weight and somewhat defeats the purpose.

That said, I actually might have bought the Ruger LCR if I had to do it again.

DesertWarden said:   Logan71 said:   +1 For a gun deal during hard gun-shopping times.

Completely agree with you Logan. One thing to keep in mind with a firearm of this "class", this is not a range/fun gun. It will beat your hand up after a few magazines. With that being said this firearm was designed for concealed carry and to be used for just that. Do not think if you are going to purchase this that you will be taking it out every weekend lol.

My buddy has a S&W BodyGuard (I don't recommend) which is much like the LCP and that thing beats you up too. I purchased this for CC during the summer months because it get uncomfortable to always carry my Glock 23 with crossbreed holster. Its VERY hot and you get sweaty fast lol. I will being using this as just something to throw in the shorts pocket to carry instead of having to throw on a holster. Its a great little gun especially with the DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (Just ordered)

Anyways you still need to train with it and I feel that if you get to the range a fire a box at least once a month with it you'll be fine. Its a great little point and shoot gun!

Cheers!

DW

Have a keltec P3AT, LC9 & LCR along with a few larger guns.. Carry the Keltec 75% of the time. Got the Keltec before Ruger came out with the LCP. Have shot both & both are similar enough that theres not that much difference in feel IMO. Either will slip into a back pocket & have almost no print visible when used with a Desaintis pocket holster.

Don't believe the whining, my 125lb wife keeps all her shots center of mass on a human sized target from 12-15yds and recoil didn't even cross her mind. She was disappointed after 100rds that it was all the ammo we had at the time, she was ready to shoot a lot more.

Kahr is going to have a CW380 soon which should be closer in price to the LCP. Advantages would be slide lock back on empty mag and better sights.

This is a very nice gun that does its job well. I ran 150 rounds through my new one with no failures. Accuracy is very good, shooting that many rounds in one session is painful but a good start to breaking in the gun. If you are going to carry a pistol, small, thin and light are all good things and the LCP scores there. If you want a fun to shoot plinking gun, this is not it. If you want a pistol you can carry concealed and keep it concealed easily without being a drag then this is a very nice choice.

I am afraid this round is weak and will not stop a big dog even correct me if not Texas Governor once killed a coyote with very same gun.

I'm thinking of this as a first gun. I don't see myself going to the range much for 'fun', but I live in AZ and there are a ton of lunatics with guns driving around and I'd like something I could leave in my car or put on my ankle and it wouldn't be obtrusive. Purpose would be self defense only at home, in the car, and on the move as a just in case.

Any thoughts?

Yes, grip is essential... However, they are not range guns... Put some rounds through it and call it a day. Otherwise, it's like getting kicked in the crotch. The Kahr 380 and 9mm are about the same, so look for a larger model for safety and comfort if using as a range gun. I finally settled on a Beretta Nano... Great little gun.

Al3xK said:   I'm thinking of this as a first gun. I don't see myself going to the range much for 'fun', but I live in AZ and there are a ton of lunatics with guns driving around and I'd like something I could leave in my car or put on my ankle and it wouldn't be obtrusive. Purpose would be self defense only at home, in the car, and on the move as a just in case.

Any thoughts?

Great little pocket pistol paired with a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Not sure why you feel "AZ has a bunch a lunatics running around with guns"? AZ has a TON of CCW holders who are responsible firearms owners. Proven fact... more CCW holders equate to less crime. I would feel safer if I were you...

Anyways, IMPO ankle carry is pointless beside the "comfort" factor maybe... in a stressful situation having to bend down, pull up your pant leg and draw your firearm is going to take valuable seconds. While your drawing the attacker could just jump at you leaving you unable to retrieve your firearm. Food for thought....

DesertWarden said:   Al3xK said:   I'm thinking of this as a first gun. I don't see myself going to the range much for 'fun', but I live in AZ and there are a ton of lunatics with guns driving around and I'd like something I could leave in my car or put on my ankle and it wouldn't be obtrusive. Purpose would be self defense only at home, in the car, and on the move as a just in case.

Any thoughts?

Great little pocket pistol paired with a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Not sure why you feel "AZ has a bunch a lunatics running around with guns"? AZ has a TON of CCW holders who are responsible firearms owners. Proven fact... more CCW holders equate to less crime. I would feel safer if I were you...

Anyways, IMPO ankle carry is pointless beside the "comfort" factor maybe... in a stressful situation having to bend down, pull up your pant leg and draw your firearm is going to take valuable seconds. While your drawing the attacker could just jump at you leaving you unable to retrieve your firearm. Food for thought....

I looked at one of the weird pocket inserts but I'm worried about the gun accidentally firing in my pocket...or the safety and/or not having a round chambered would prevent that? I don't entirely know how guns work. I planned on taking a class.

I personally know through my work/dealings several very unstable people I don't even trust driving a car. I know there are responsible gun owners too.

The only reason I said ankle carry is because AZ is very hot, so no jackets usually, and I can't think of any other good way to conceal it. I don't want to put it in my back pocket and sit on it.

Skipping 15 Messages...
I have a question that slightly off-topic. Have any of you guys bought a pearce grip extension for this pistol ? Is it any good ?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014