• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here's the link to the product page, item #615673 @ Costco. It is a 6,800 watt generator with a Honda GX390 OHV engine and electric start. Not sure if this is the same model I wanted to pull the trigger on last year (seems bigger and $200 more) but missed it. I know this is more than many generators at this output level, but it's got a Honda engine and it's sold by Costco. I know East Coasters got them in stores a few months ago, but it's finally made it to CA. I'm not going to miss out this time. I've been without power a couple of times over the last 10 years for periods of 5 days or more. This will give me peace of mind and power when the utility company power goes out. My neighbors will thank me too as I'd share the wealth

The one thing I wish it had is an output meter so I know how much I'm using in case I want to use more electricity.

Member Summary

Powerstroke Generator
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

About Honda motors: This has been a few years ago, but I thought my lawn mower problems would be over when I bought a mower with a Honda motor. The first year it was ok, but after that, if the temp went much below 80 degrees, that sucker was impossible to start (hand pull). I finally just bought starter fluid, and unless it was the hot summertime, I always primed it with a shot of starter fluid before pulling on it.

This was about the time that the government put some pollution restriction on small engines. Honda probably just leaned out the carb a lot to pass the emission laws, not doing any re-engineering on their motors. And when the carb got just a little varnish in it, it would not start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, which helped, when this first happened (not starting). But afterwards, I just went to starting fluid rather than tear the carb down at least every year.

Hopefully Honda has done some work and fixed this, but that motor disappointed me big time. At this point, I don't think I would pay 'extra' for a Honda small motor.

E10 kills all engines lately cheepl.

cheepl said:   About Honda motors: This has been a few years ago, but I thought my lawn mower problems would be over when I bought a mower with a Honda motor. The first year it was ok, but after that, if the temp went much below 80 degrees, that sucker was impossible to start (hand pull). I finally just bought starter fluid, and unless it was the hot summertime, I always primed it with a shot of starter fluid before pulling on it.

This was about the time that the government put some pollution restriction on small engines. Honda probably just leaned out the carb a lot to pass the emission laws, not doing any re-engineering on their motors. And when the carb got just a little varnish in it, it would not start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, which helped, when this first happened (not starting). But afterwards, I just went to starting fluid rather than tear the carb down at least every year.

Hopefully Honda has done some work and fixed this, but that motor disappointed me big time. At this point, I don't think I would pay 'extra' for a Honda small motor.

Thanks for the input. I looked up Honda's websiteText and found this is their commercial line of engines. Reviews for this engine are good and the engine alone sells for $679. Others, please chime in.

IMO the Champion unit they have for $700 is a much better deal (similar output) from a company that offers after sale support.

I just rebuild my old stuff now. I don't even bother rebuilding carbs. I just buy new one and slap them in. The new stuff sucks. Less power and def more finicky..and sometimes smaller engines.

May be out of range for many home owners, but Costco also carries a 12KW Honeywell whole-house standby generator model for $2299 ($200 instant rebate). This is a special model made just for Costco and will be sufficient to support many average sized homes (up to 2 AC units). Costco unfortunately is DISCONTINUING this 12KW model and launching a 17KW model (which really is unnecessarily large for many of us); but the price jumps to $3699.

What's left of the 12KW model is just what's in the stores. It's not for everyone, but if you're in the market for one, this price point is the lowest I've seen for a 12KW generator.

Use Sta-bil (or equiv.) in fuel that will not be used for 30 days or more. It is cheap insurance. Modern fuels are horrible!!

I second TooEasy tip to use Stabil at all times and to remember to fire them up at least once a month for 10-15 minutes even if there is no power outage to keep all the parts lubricated. This is now done automatically even for the gas powered whole house generator unit to keep the parts from gumming up.

Once a month is a bit excessive. Using a fuel stabilizer you'll be fine firing it up once every six months. Draing the fuel once a year into your car and you'll have a generator that will last for decades.

I just wanted to post that this thread influenced me to buy this generator. Although I really wanted a pure Honda generator, I couldn't justify the 3x cost for the few times we lose power. I figure the quality of the Honda engine and what's left over is covered by Costco's incredible return policy. I wrote a little bit about my thought process here: finding the right generator

Thanks for post because I wouldn't have thought of looking at Costco. Also, they seem to have this only in store as it's not available online.

Looked at the Champion and then talked to the tech who keeps all generators running on 15 mini cam news trucks. He said stay away. They are always in for repair. Good motors but bad electronics. I went to costco and bought the Powerstroke. 6800 watts should do fine. Electric start. Took 30 minutes to assemble. With wheels its portable. Your wife can start it. It makes as much noise as any other of that size. Honda Engine started right up. Overnight it used less than 1 gallon per hour.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014