• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Coleman 55-Watt Solar 12V or 110V Back-Up Kit @ Home Depot - $288.00

Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Member Summary

Coleman 55-Watt Solar 12V or 110V Back-Up Kit
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I can't comment on the quality of the two, but Harbor Freight has a 45 watt unit for $189.99 (minus 20% with the always available coupons) that is the same thing as this from what I can see. Only thing the Harbor Freight unit doesn't include is a inverter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-panel-kit-45-watt-68751.html

Amazon and Harbor Frieght have recently had much better deals on the same thing.

Can I ask what might be some of the more practical applications for these panels that you have used it for?
Can these be permanently secured?

lesliejs said:   Can I ask what might be some of the more practical applications for these panels that you have used it for?

You can mount these to the top of your electric car and recharge it RREAAAALLLY SLOWLY!!!

Based on various reviews on HF, lots of people used them for "off the grid" type stuff. Camping, a cabin in the wilderness, a storage shed, etc.. Somewhere where you need some power but you don't need to run big appliances and it is cost prohibitive or you are completely unable to get power to that area.

And yes they could be mounted permanently. Not sure for how many years, but I assume these are not "30 year warranty" style devices, so something on them would probably fail after awhile.

You could probably run a fountain pump, hydroponic water pump, attic fan, or greenhouse fan with one of these kits. But, until batteries get better and less costly, the cost of the batteries always make this kind of thing expensive. I wish there was a way to just run something when the sun was shining and not have to have a battery.

lesliejs said:   Can I ask what might be some of the more practical applications for these panels that you have used it for?

You could probably run a fountain pump, hydroponic water pump, attic fan, or greenhouse fan with one of these kits. But, until batteries get better and less costly, the cost of the batteries always make this kind of thing expensive. I wish there was a way to just run something when the sun was shining and not have to have a battery.

could you plug this right into your electric service through an outlet? Or would that jack up an outlet and start a fire?

Usorry said:   could you plug this right into your electric service through an outlet? Or would that jack up an outlet and start a fire?

"NO WAY". Fire, quite possibly.
I know there are extreme exceptions, some may come here and explain but i wouldn't even begin to explain that to any novice electrician here.

Usorry said:   could you plug this right into your electric service through an outlet? Or would that jack up an outlet and start a fire?

No Way.
Your outlets are 120 AC, these are 12V DC , totally different, will cause fire and destroy the solar panels.

There is an inverter that has this capability, but it's not really accepted in the U.S. Although, you can find Youtube videos that show people using them and have had no safety issues that I'm aware of. You can find a plug and play inverter on Amazon and eBay for about $140.

Usorry said:   could you plug this right into your electric service through an outlet? Or would that jack up an outlet and start a fire?IF you had the appropriate inverter ,
but at 55 watts, @ .10/kwh, you'd only be saving about a half cent per hour
in bright sunlight

couple panels from Home Depot, batteries from academy, inverter from tractor supply about 550 and guy i work with runs a/c 5000 btu for a few hours and lights in building. i have the one from Harbor Freight to run a few lights in portable building. why? because i wanted something to play with and understand the + and - of a small scale system before trying a larger one. then again i play with electronics as a hobby and have smoked quite a few items.

1me2ao said:   couple panels from Home Depot, batteries from academy, inverter from tractor supply about 550 and guy i work with runs a/c 5000 btu for a few hours and lights in building. i have the one from Harbor Freight to run a few lights in portable building. why? because i wanted something to play with and understand the + and - of a small scale system before trying a larger one. then again i play with electronics as a hobby and have smoked quite a few items.

Cool hobby. What kind of items you smokin' ?

small dc motors, mainly resistors - i had bench and kids junk has taken over so i forget where i was and put power on it and they smoke because i have to much current. 12/24 vdc pwr supply, Radio Shack solder iron that i forget too turn off.

http://www.instructables.com/ lots and lots of how too's here. was trying to build microwave plasma cutter but spouse put kaboosh on it when she realized i would have a 1/2 dozen microwave left over.

can somebody recommend a solar panel setup for a beginner please

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014