• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Monoprice 27" IPS LED CrystalPro Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - $390

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9579&format=2

Monoprice
See Monoprice coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
That's a lot better service than I got from SVC.com, one time when I ordered 30 molex splitter cables (along with some o... (more)

VirtuaL (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 11:34a) |

Is this information readily available anywhere? As in, is there a reliable way to figure out who the panel manufacturer ... (more)

KingMongo (Apr. 06, 2013 @ 1:16a) |

Yikes, that is an AWFUL contrast ratio of 345:1. TVs with twice that ratio are considered mediocre, and half-decent TN m... (more)

mintmaster (Apr. 06, 2013 @ 9:55a) |

Staff Summary

Cold - item on back order.

These are perpetually on 'backorder' and price is up nearly $100 from not so long ago.

my question is why are there bulk order prices for buying more than 1 when there is a limit of 1 per customer?

cpabster said:   These are perpetually on 'backorder' and price is up nearly $100 from not so long ago.

They actually come in stock fairly frequently & go OOS very quickly. If you're at all interested, sign up for the in stock email and you'll probably have a chance to get it.

what kind of deal is this. Out of Stock??? RED

cpabster said:   These are perpetually on 'backorder' and price is up nearly $100 from not so long ago. These were NEVER under $300. In fact, it's never been officially under $390. There was a brief day or two period in January (maybe late Dec, can't remember) when they had a 20% code that worked bringing it down to $312, and a week or two ago they had the 12% off code that made it $343.

It is backorderd, but it does come in stock frequently, but in short bursts for some reason. I picked it up with the 12% code recently and I love it.

But yeah, MSRP is not a hot deal.

I got one last time they were in stock, and it was DOA. RMA'd, waiting for the next batch to come in. If it's also DOA it's refund time.

Microcenter has one @ $399

27 IPS Display port

These panels may come out of the same shop in Asia. They just put different labels, or mounts for different brands. You may get a Dell ultrasharp without Dell name.

I ordered one from Microcenter when they said it was in stock and it still got canceled ... I guess take it when you can get it.

f2000sa said:   Microcenter has one @ $399

27 IPS Display port

These panels may come out of the same shop in Asia. They just put different labels, or mounts for different brands. You may get a Dell ultrasharp without Dell name.
Well, sort of. The panels are supposedly made in the same factory as LG/Apple/etc but they're "A- grade" usually because of backlight bleeding. Mine looks great, but I do have a slight backlight bleed on the bottom left corner (only noticable on an all black, or really dark screen). In addition, the drawbacks are: 1) limited input (only dual-link DVI), 2) bezel/stand are kinda flimsy.

Also, Dell ultrasharp screens are matte while these are glossy like the Apple cinemadisplay. That can be a dealbreaker for many who are considering an ultrasharp.

This morning tomshardware just came out with a review of the Microcenter monitor:

Review

anyone know what the price is on the extended warranty? I see open boxes for $340 which makes this worth it for the return policy

Also, looks like they offer both matte and glossy now at MC (ymmv on stock though)

Yuyak said:   f2000sa said:   Microcenter has one @ $399
27 IPS Display port
Well, sort of. The panels are supposedly made in the same factory as LG/Apple/etc but they're "A- grade" usually because of backlight bleeding. Mine looks great, but I do have a slight backlight bleed on the bottom left corner (only noticable on an all black, or really dark screen). In addition, the drawbacks are: 1) limited input (only dual-link DVI), 2) bezel/stand are kinda flimsy.
Also, Dell ultrasharp screens are matte while these are glossy like the Apple cinemadisplay. That can be a dealbreaker for many who are considering an ultrasharp.

Right. These are the same panels, but the electronics, frame, mount, and finish (AG vs. glossy) are different. So if all you care about is the resolution, awesome color, viewing angle, etc, then you're fine with any. But if you care about AG (I hate glossy), there are not many options (HP, Dell, Apple, some PLS Acers). And also yes, the A vs. B grade panels.

Plus, I think the Monoprice has no scalar, so will only do full resolution. The Dell can downscale. If you want to game & don't have hardware scaling, or if you wanted to connect somthing 1080p HDMI, you'd be stuck w/ these.

So it's highly unlikely you'll ever get an unbranded Dell from one of these shops. You'll get the same panel, but the rest will differ.

It's a cheap 27" IPS high-rez panel that's the claim to fame, these are not UltraSharp's, but the price isn't either.

I got one at microcenter $340 open box in store (Overland Park, KS). Someone had returned it just because it was a matte screen and not glossy.

cpabster said:   It's a cheap 27" IPS high-rez panel that's the claim to fame, these are not UltraSharp's, but the price isn't either.

What's the difference besides the grade of the completed panel? They're the same LG produced panel, right?

SuperMxyz said:   cpabster said:   It's a cheap 27" IPS high-rez panel that's the claim to fame, these are not UltraSharp's, but the price isn't either.

What's the difference besides the grade of the completed panel? They're the same LG produced panel, right?

I think the allure of these displays besides being a large format IPS is the resolution max of 2560x1440. A lot of inexpensive large format screens usually top out at 1920x1080(p). So having the extra rez gives you a significant amount more desktop room and sharpness. I use a I-Inc 27" that is a 16:10 (1920x1200). Monitors with this aspect ratio seem to be on the rare side, and the ones available are pricey! I would consider going back to a 16:9 for the extra pixels.

The Ultrasharps have outstanding color quality, great contrasts, crisp output, and just have a lot more bells and whistles with USB ports, etc. It probably is worth the money, if you have it to spend.

SuperMxyz said:   

Lower grade of panel also the surrounding components and overall build, like I said it's no UltraSharp but neither is the price.

Also as some one else pointed out most 27" are just 1080P so the higher rez is a big draw, 1080P on a 27" is not ideal (IMHO).

gusk1200 said:   SuperMxyz said:   cpabster said:   It's a cheap 27" IPS high-rez panel that's the claim to fame, these are not UltraSharp's, but the price isn't either.

I think the allure of these displays besides being a large format IPS is the resolution max of 2560x1440. A lot of inexpensive large format screens usually top out at 1920x1080(p). So having the extra rez gives you a significant amount more desktop room and sharpness. I use a I-Inc 27" that is a 16:10 (1920x1200). Monitors with this aspect ratio seem to be on the rare side, and the ones available are pricey! I would consider going back to a 16:9 for the extra pixels.

The Ultrasharps have outstanding color quality, great contrasts, crisp output, and just have a lot more bells and whistles with USB ports, etc. It probably is worth the money, if you have it to spend.
Even among Ultrasharp monitors, there are a few variants (2711H, 2713HM, 2713H). These might not have the color accuracy of the 2711H/2713H, but it should be comparable wo the 2713HM.

Whether the extra $260 ($650-$390) is worth it depends on what you're looking for: 1) do you prefer matte or glossy? 2) are you ok being limited to dual-link DVI? 3) do you need the bells-and-whistles (usb3.0 hub, built-in scalar)? 4) do you need wide color gamut?

I was waiting for a good deal on a Dell 2713HM, but the price difference was too big. Ultimately the only difference I cared about was the matte screen and that wasn't worth 67% more ($260/390) to me.

Monoprice allows up to 4 dead pixels, so it seems better to buy from MicroCenter.

cpabster said:   SuperMxyz said:   

Lower grade of panel also the surrounding components and overall build, like I said it's no UltraSharp but neither is the price.

Also as some one else pointed out most 27" are just 1080P so the higher rez is a big draw, 1080P on a 27" is not ideal (IMHO).

I'm not talking about 1080P, I'm talking about the panels in the cheap 1440p Korean displays. Yes, the housing is cheap and the microcenter stand makes it really difficult to hook up with DVI. But the panel itself is the same part as the ultrasharp, correct? It's my understanding that both are identical panels, just some come out rated higher than others. There are no dead pixels on my Microcenter 1440p panel that I have found yet. Conversely, I also bought a 120hz top of the line BenQ to compare (xl2720t) and that one has several stuck pixels. That one is going back towards the end of the 30 day return period.

SuperMxyz said:   
I'm not talking about 1080P, I'm talking about the panels in the cheap 1440p Korean displays. Yes, the housing is cheap and the microcenter stand makes it really difficult to hook up with DVI. But the panel itself is the same part as the ultrasharp, correct? It's my understanding that both are identical panels, just some come out rated higher than others. There are no dead pixels on my Microcenter 1440p panel that I have found yet. Conversely, I also bought a 120hz top of the line BenQ to compare (xl2720t) and that one has several stuck pixels. That one is going back towards the end of the 30 day return period.

The panels are the same but they aren't the same grade. Kind of like how CPUs are binned. And yes it's always hit or miss and entirely possible to spend a boat load and have issues. The difference tends to be in the support after the sale. I don't have any experience with Monoprice on that so no idea.

SuperMxyz said:   I'm not talking about 1080P, I'm talking about the panels in the cheap 1440p Korean displays. Yes, the housing is cheap and the microcenter stand makes it really difficult to hook up with DVI. But the panel itself is the same part as the ultrasharp, correct? It's my understanding that both are identical panels, just some come out rated higher than others. There are no dead pixels on my Microcenter 1440p panel that I have found yet. Conversely, I also bought a 120hz top of the line BenQ to compare (xl2720t) and that one has several stuck pixels. That one is going back towards the end of the 30 day return period.

The newer U2713H has a different panel than the U2713HM. So this Monoprice has an LG 27 IPS glossy, not sure which panel that would correspond to, but probably the HM one. The AG layer is also different, which is technically not part of the panel but very close. The backlight may also be different (W-LED in the HM, GB-LED in the H, not sure what type is in the Monoprice/microcenter). It's not going to be wide-gamut ("H"), but it may not be the same W-LED as the HM either.

But bottom line - yes, the panel is the "same" as the apple/Dell/HP's. If you want high res IPS 27", and you don't mind glossy/no-scalar, then go for this.

cpabster said:   SuperMxyz said:   

The panels are the same but they aren't the same grade. Kind of like how CPUs are binned. And yes it's always hit or miss and entirely possible to spend a boat load and have issues. The difference tends to be in the support after the sale. I don't have any experience with Monoprice on that so no idea.
Monoprice guarantees no more than 5 dead pixels (compare to Dell which guarantees no more than 6 dead pixels, and Apple/LG guarantees no more than 10 dead pixels). As far as I'm aware, none of them guarantee backlight bleed issue, which from what I read is the biggest reason they get demoted from an "A" grade to an "A-" grade.

I opted for Monoprice over the Korean eBay ones because of the support issue - worst case I just need to ship it to SoCal, not all the way back to Korea - and Monoprice customer support has been pretty solid for me albeit my only experience has been with cables (they forgot to pack one of the cables I ordered in the shipment - they overnighted one after I contacted them)

Any users of Macs from the past few years should keep in mind that the mini DisplayPort to dual-link DVI adapter is another $70+shipping.

Yuyak said:   I opted for Monoprice over the Korean eBay ones because of the support issue - worst case I just need to ship it to SoCal, not all the way back to Korea - and Monoprice customer support has been pretty solid for me albeit my only experience has been with cables (they forgot to pack one of the cables I ordered in the shipment - they overnighted one after I contacted them)

That's a lot better service than I got from SVC.com, one time when I ordered 30 molex splitter cables (along with some other cables), and they ended up shorting me three of them, because the order-taker had three of them turned the wrong way around, and counted the two ends as two cables, instead of one. It was quite obvious that was the mistake made. Anyways, SVC.com told me the package weight was correct, so there was no way that the order was wrong. In short, they told me to go screw. Really great customer service there, when they could have simply dropped three $0.75 cables into a first-class bubble envelope and mailed them to me.

jumpfroggy said:   SuperMxyz said:   I'm not talking about 1080P, I'm talking about the panels in the cheap 1440p Korean displays. Yes, the housing is cheap and the microcenter stand makes it really difficult to hook up with DVI. But the panel itself is the same part as the ultrasharp, correct? It's my understanding that both are identical panels, just some come out rated higher than others. There are no dead pixels on my Microcenter 1440p panel that I have found yet. Conversely, I also bought a 120hz top of the line BenQ to compare (xl2720t) and that one has several stuck pixels. That one is going back towards the end of the 30 day return period.

The newer U2713H has a different panel than the U2713HM. So this Monoprice has an LG 27 IPS glossy, not sure which panel that would correspond to, but probably the HM one. The AG layer is also different, which is technically not part of the panel but very close. The backlight may also be different (W-LED in the HM, GB-LED in the H, not sure what type is in the Monoprice/microcenter). It's not going to be wide-gamut ("H"), but it may not be the same W-LED as the HM either.

But bottom line - yes, the panel is the "same" as the apple/Dell/HP's. If you want high res IPS 27", and you don't mind glossy/no-scalar, then go for this.

Is this information readily available anywhere? As in, is there a reliable way to figure out who the panel manufacturer for a given OEM is, and a reliable rating for the panel manufacturer?

STEALfromCAGgive2FW said:   This morning tomshardware just came out with a review of the Microcenter monitor:

Review
Yikes, that is an AWFUL contrast ratio of 345:1. TVs with twice that ratio are considered mediocre, and half-decent TN monitors usually hit around 1000:1. Thanks for the link.

I was considering buying one of these things before that. I guess "same panel" is only a half truth compared to the major brands.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014