• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Samsung USB 3.0 Slim External DVD Writer @ Newegg - $25.99 after Coupon
was $30.99
Free Shipping!

Coupons
EMCXSXR35 - $5 off Samsung SE-208DB/TSLS external DVD writer

A $5 coupon savings might not impress, but Newegg already had the best-of-the-web pricing by nearly $5.

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Newegg
See Newegg coupons that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Is it really USB 3.0? One of the comments said it's not.

kuelllin said:   Is it really USB 3.0? One of the comments said it's not.
Highly doubt it. Anything above 2.0 is useless for DVD.

I'd just pick up a $39 blu-ray drive on eBay. Mine will be here today.

All the specs state usb 3.0/2.0 so I would assume it is 3.0. You would not see a benefit wither way. Still a good price for a external drive

coolbreeze said:   kuelllin said:   Is it really USB 3.0? One of the comments said it's not.

coolbreeze is correct; for a bit more information, dvd read/write rates in a slim portable drive like this max at 8x, or ~88Mbits per second, well below the theoretical limits of usb 2.0's 480Mbits per second. even a 6x bluray drive is only ~216Mbps, so you most likely won't see any tangible benefit unless you're cracking open this enclosure and using it with a desktop-sized 5.25" drive (assuming the enclosure is actually usb3.0).

if you search eBay for "EXTERNAL USB 6X BLU-RAY" the $39 listings should turn up. my only real concern is that upon further inspection they don't use a "y"-style cable like most do, and instead have a separate cable for additional power. not sure if it's necessary, as on my old asus (slim/portable external) had a similar cable but only required one to be plugged in, so depending on your setup this might be a small pro/con to consider. course if someone who owns one could give some details..

course if all you need's an external dvd burner, then this is a solid, rebate-free deal!

I thought USB 3.0 supported higher current than USB 2.0, wouldn't that lead to a higher write speed? Never mind I see that it maxes out a 8x in the specs.

if this can run off one usb 3.0 port, that would be worth it for me. i have a similar drive in usb 2.0, but it is a pain to use on my macbook air because the usb ports are on opposite sides of the computer so the split Y cable does reach. also, most times you need an external hd hooked up to burn media from.

coolbreeze said:   kuelllin said:   Is it really USB 3.0? One of the comments said it's not.

BR burner for $15 more??

Is there a reason to get the samsung over Asus burner Asus burner?

just wanted to confirm that the previously-mentioned eBay-type generic bd-rom drive arrived, and i do not need the separate power cable. it's a very strong connection to a usb2.0 type 2 (rather than the typical mini), mine is white with an amber led and the bezel has embossed dvd logos but no bd logo, and the drive inside is a hitachi/lg hl-dt-st ct30f (with labelflash). listed as a 4.8x or 6x drive in some places, which is odd.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014