• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Posting as an alternative to the Staples/Seagate external drive that was ended on Saturday.

Some others might have more faith in WD vs Seagate. Not sure what drive is inside, but may be a good candidate for removing from case and using internally. If you're looking for USB 3.0 speeds/support, then this deal isn't for you.

Currently showing $109 at TD and Newegg

Link

Member Summary

WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Internal drive can usually be identified with the utility HDDscan.com, including its serial number.

WD often (usually?) puts 5400 RPM internal drives in its desktop USB enclosures, but Seagate almost always uses 7200 RPM drives.

WD Elements drive enclosures are easier to open up than Seagates, and this video shows how, but to prevent gouging of the plastic, use a thin, dull, smooth kinfe instead of a screwdriver.

This is the one I ordered for my Mac if someone is looking for that option. B&H has it for 89.00 with free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668169-REG/Western_Digital...

I have 2 of these from a year or so ago. They were a little less than this price so based on today's HD prices, this is a good deal. One of the enclosure died out of warranty but using another case got it up and running. The problem with these(and I think all external HDs) is when they are hooked up to a WIN 7 computer is they can't be ejected. You have to shut down to properly remove the drive. Has anyone found a fix for this?

emmagata said:   I have 2 of these from a year or so ago. They were a little less than this price so based on today's HD prices, this is a good deal. One of the enclosure died out of warranty but using another case got it up and running. The problem with these(and I think all external HDs) is when they are hooked up to a WIN 7 computer is they can't be ejected. You have to shut down to properly remove the drive. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Sorry but I've never had that problem with this (or any other external) hard drive in Win7. I always get that "your hardware is now safe to remove" message. Sometimes it just takes a little while for some reason but I ALWAYS get the pop up eventually.

bugsie said:   emmagata said:   I have 2 of these from a year or so ago. They were a little less than this price so based on today's HD prices, this is a good deal. One of the enclosure died out of warranty but using another case got it up and running. The problem with these(and I think all external HDs) is when they are hooked up to a WIN 7 computer is they can't be ejected. You have to shut down to properly remove the drive. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Sorry but I've never had that problem with this (or any other external) hard drive in Win7. I always get that "your hardware is now safe to remove" message. Sometimes it just takes a little while for some reason but I ALWAYS get the pop up eventually.

I have the problem on all my computers running Win 7. It says the drive can be remove safely but the drive letter still shows up in My Computer. If you plug it back in again, it's not accessible unless you reboot. I'm not the only one with this problem. This happens with ANY external USB hard drive, not just these. Thumb drives do not have this problem.

emmagata said:   bugsie said:   emmagata said:   I have 2 of these from a year or so ago. They were a little less than this price so based on today's HD prices, this is a good deal. One of the enclosure died out of warranty but using another case got it up and running. The problem with these(and I think all external HDs) is when they are hooked up to a WIN 7 computer is they can't be ejected. You have to shut down to properly remove the drive. Has anyone found a fix for this?

I have the problem on all my computers running Win 7. It says the drive can be remove safely but the drive letter still shows up in My Computer. If you plug it back in again, it's not accessible unless you reboot. I'm not the only one with this problem. This happens with ANY external USB hard drive, not just these. Thumb drives do not have this problem.

I never keep My Computer open when I'm removing/removed drives so I've never noticed. I HAVE noticed the "safe to remove" popup and always just unplug the USB cable at that point. When I plug it back in (sometimes I might use a different USB port but not to avoid any problems and not all the time) it comes right back up. Always with external USB drives (from 500GB up to 2TB), not talking USB thumb drives. I believe you when you say you and others are having a problem, I'm just saying I do not and have never heard of the issue before now. I did a LITTLE research and found a couple of suggestions :

1. In Windows Explorer, right-click on the USB drive and select "Eject". Windows Explorer is the most likely culprit to be still using the drive, and ejecting it through Explorer should release it without difficulty
2. One person said they now close all open Windows Explorer windows BEFORE opening SRH and clicking on the Mass Storage Device (my HDD), and then W7 released the HDD perfectly. In the past, they'd always clicked on the Mass Storage Device in SRH, found it didn't work (as expected), THEN closed all open Windows Explorer windows and tried again, but that never worked either, so they'd have to shut the computer down, remove the HDD, then start it up again.

Maybe someone who is experiencing the issue will chime in to help you. Good luck!

bugsie said:   emmagata said:   bugsie said:   emmagata said:   I have 2 of these from a year or so ago. They were a little less than this price so based on today's HD prices, this is a good deal. One of the enclosure died out of warranty but using another case got it up and running. The problem with these(and I think all external HDs) is when they are hooked up to a WIN 7 computer is they can't be ejected. You have to shut down to properly remove the drive. Has anyone found a fix for this?

I never keep My Computer open when I'm removing/removed drives so I've never noticed. I HAVE noticed the "safe to remove" popup and always just unplug the USB cable at that point. When I plug it back in (sometimes I might use a different USB port but not to avoid any problems and not all the time) it comes right back up. Always with external USB drives (from 500GB up to 2TB), not talking USB thumb drives. I believe you when you say you and others are having a problem, I'm just saying I do not and have never heard of the issue before now. Maybe someone who is experiencing the issue will chime in to help you. Good luck!

From what I've read, only a small percentage of users are having the problem. Consider yourself lucky!!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014