• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
If you live near a Napa auto parts you can get a great deal on napa sythentic oil for 5 qts 19.99 including an oil filter.
From Bob the oil guys site they say that napa oil is rebadged Valvoline Synpower

Text

Member Summary

napa
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer

April.ad.page.1
Thanks e1d1
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
this is one reason i do like that my oil filter is accessed from the top instead of bottom.

DrSachmo (Apr. 11, 2013 @ 7:27p) |

Oil tempature will vary greatly depending on the car and how the engine was designed. The engine temp you are talking ab... (more)

Marlin1975 (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 11:14a) |

Nice deal, thanks! I opted for the Gold filter upgrade as I just used my last one from a case I had purchased a couple... (more)

BMRisko (Apr. 15, 2013 @ 2:41p) |

$3 more get a Gold filter.
$5 more get their Platinum filter.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

it is excellent oil, the filter is hit and miss. use it for no more than 5000 miles.

Dang, why do I NEVER see 0w-40 or 5w-40!?!?!?!? Arrrrhhhh....

what does this mean:
Important Information: Full Synthetic
3.9 Qt. Capacity

on http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTN75520_0274120390

While it is a good deal, my '09 Civic takes almost all 5 quarts of new oil. Also, I'd spend a few $ more to get the more fuel-efficient oil (like 0w-20 or 5w-20).

EvoX2008 said:   While it is a good deal, my '09 Civic takes almost all 5 quarts of new oil. Also, I'd spend a few $ more to get the more fuel-efficient oil (like 0w-20 or 5w-20).

0w 20 and 5w 20 are both available as napa synthentic

Just to point out, if your car calls for a specific weight, I would be hesitant on blindly replacing it with 0w-20 or 5w-20.

Going with a 20 weight oil will not save fuel economy that you will notice. Driving habit will, dropping from a 30 weight to a 20 weight will not!

good deal imo...

went to the site...how do you get this pricing in the shopping cart?

keaton85 said:   Going with a 20 weight oil will not save fuel economy that you will notice. Driving habit will, dropping from a 30 weight to a 20 weight will not!or adding air to your tires will increase mileage more than changing oil.

what does this mean:
Important Information: Full Synthetic
3.9 Qt. Capacity

on http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTN75...

Called my local Napa dealer, this deal is good for 5 quarts and they said for the month of April. This is in Orange, CA.

Thanks OP. I just bought 24 quarts @ 3.49 per quart. This equates to $17.45 for 5 quarts without having to buy that silver oil filter. There was also the deal with gold filter and platinum for more money. I think it was 22.49 for 5 quarts + filter, or 24.99 for 5 quarts + filter. With the 3 levels of silver, gold, and platinum like this, I do not feel comfortable buying the silver filter. Meanwhile, the original filter for my car is Motorcraft and can be bought at WalMart for about $3.50 so I will pass on the filter deal and only buy the oil.

SCRacer said:   good deal imo...

went to the site...how do you get this pricing in the shopping cart?

Works for me.
Easiest way to find it is search for "napa oil" without quotation marks, then scroll down to synthetic. Also the 5 quart jugs should apply as well, I've done that on a previous sale.
Heck just go there that's what works best for me.

How's the quality of the filter?

ZenNUTS said:   How's the quality of the filter?How's the quality of your reading comprehension?

2nd post - "it is excellent oil, the filter is hit and miss. use it for no more than 5000 miles."

ZenNUTS said:   How's the quality of the filter?

Napa filters are made by Wix, so they are good filters.

Teh silver is a good filter for most car that run 10k or less. If you jave a car that runs hot, esp the oil, or is very dirty then the Gold filter can help with that.

Marlin1975 said:   ZenNUTS said:   How's the quality of the filter?

Napa filters are made by Wix, so they are good filters.

Teh silver is a good filter for most car that run 10k or less. If you jave a car that runs hot, esp the oil, or is very dirty then the Gold filter can help with that.

how to confirm if the car runs hot - newbie here.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   ZenNUTS said:   How's the quality of the filter?How's the quality of your reading comprehension? Uh?! I can't hear you.

I hope Marlin1975 is right, sort defeat the synthetic purpose if I have to change at 5k.

Wix are good filters, unless you are going over 10,000 miles between oil changes ..... one of the best filters you can buy, is $6.50 at pep boys, Purolator Pure One

1: engines run at a set tempature thus no such thing as a "hot engine"
2: most filters should be changed at 5k-7k depending on how dirty the engine is. If the motor is newer and spotless then 10k+ is probably fine on one filter.
3: you can change a filter without doing the oil change.

napa silvers are NOT good for UP TO 10000 miles. do your own research on BITOG if you do not believe me. Like i said before for the reading impaired, keep to the 5k rule with this filter.

for those who still want to use the filter and enjoy the extra estimated 2500 miles from the oil, just remove the filter and catch the oil that comes out. it will probably be a quart or so. put your brand new filter on, then pour this oil back into the crankcase.

the better idea is to buy the filter that has the performance to match the oil, such as a PureOne filter and shelf the napa silver for the next DINO deal that rolls around.

Picked up a case (12) of 5-20 at my local Napa (store/distribution center) center for $40. Asked how many he had left. He looked at the computer and said about 500 quarts.

Said the silver filters are junk (his words) with the gold being twice the filter and platinum is his recommendation.

keaton85 said:   1: engines run at a set tempature thus no such thing as a "hot engine"
2: most filters should be changed at 5k-7k depending on how dirty the engine is. If the motor is newer and spotless then 10k+ is probably fine on one filter.

1- most engines run in a temperature RANGE- hotter in the summer or when extended idling
2- most manufacturers now recommend Oil/filter changes at 10K (with dino oil/std service)- I even feel leary with dino oil at 10K, but synthetic I have no problem with this.
3- Yes, but you will have to check/top off the oil level with the oil you lose during the change. Why bother with the effort, just go 8-10K and do the oil/filter.

Always go by what the manufacturer recommends in their service schedule (std or severe). Keep in mind that over time they may update these with TSB's (Technical service bulletins)

Sweet, I love FW motor oil threads. I get my fill of bro-science for an entire month.

I can't believe this product forum turned into a motor oil forum. Relaxxxxxx, folks...

I am sure most of us fatwallet members are not mechanical engineers for any car product or car engine specificially? IF that is the case, why should we rely on ourselves to differ what they recommend based on their research and intellect?

Use the weight that the car manufacturer calls for. The more you tweak it, the more likely it is to be less than intended of use and/or longevity of the engine. Although there is no guarantee anything bad is going to happen, but it is less of a hassle to debate and bicker about who's right or wrong. The engineers are right with their experience and recommendations. How's that?

this is one reason i do like that my oil filter is accessed from the top instead of bottom.

keaton85 said:   1: engines run at a set tempature thus no such thing as a "hot engine"

Oil tempature will vary greatly depending on the car and how the engine was designed. The engine temp you are talking about is controlled by a thermostat and based on the coolant temp, not engine heat in the oil or other variables.
In my old Corvette the oil temp could vary by 20degrees depending on RPM, speed, and outside temp. Most cars do not have oil coolers let alone are usually smaller motors so they rev higher and can oput more stress on oil.

I've put over 12k on a basic Ecore filter and after cutting it open was still ok. Car had about 70k on it. Most cars today are not that bad internally if taken care of. Engine designs and also oils are much better than they use to be. Onyl time I have seen a "dirty" engine is if it was not taken care of properly.

Nice deal, thanks! I opted for the Gold filter upgrade as I just used my last one from a case I had purchased a couple years ago.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014