Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks, OP, bought one. Surprised to see that CA sales tax was charged, but shipping was free via USPS.

FYI, a new version of these drives was just recently released. It sounded like there were some upgrades in the new version, but I am not sure what that means in the real world. It goes by "sshd" rather than the "momentus" brand name now.

I can't speak to the pricing, but I thought it might be good to know if you are looking at this.

josephbphillips said:   FYI, a new version of these drives was just recently released. It sounded like there were some upgrades in the new version, but I am not sure what that means in the real world. It goes by "sshd" rather than the "momentus" brand name now.

I can't speak to the pricing, but I thought it might be good to know if you are looking at this.

In the Overview section, it states:

Momentus® XT solid state hybrid drives (SSHD)

MacMall

josephbphillips said:   FYI, a new version of these drives was just recently released. It sounded like there were some upgrades in the new version, but I am not sure what that means in the real world. It goes by "sshd" rather than the "momentus" brand name now.

Actually, the new version only has 5400 RPM drives. Seagate's said that they won't make 7200 RPM 2.5" drives anymore.

The Amazon price is from a third party seller, and with shipping, is a couple bucks more. So in all, about a wash. When I purchased mine a couple of months ago, it was about $135+. Very tempted to get another....

Last of the breed, 7200 RPM + Hybrid.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The 5400 RPM drives can get more SSD/hybrid space, but it won't help you when editing video.

masterdog said:   Seagate's said that they won't make 7200 RPM 2.5" drives anymore.

That's kind of weird. They said that they would stop making slower-RPM lower-power drives for the desktop (3.5"), and now they're saying that they are going to stop making the higher-RPM drives for laptops (2.5")? They don't make sense.

Are there any speed tests/reviews out there for the new 1tb model, especially one that compares the 1tb to the 750gb? I've got the 750 and love it. It's the perfect intersection of space and speed and price. I'm not sure how the new model competes except for space.

VirtuaL said:   masterdog said:   Seagate's said that they won't make 7200 RPM 2.5" drives anymore.

That's kind of weird. They said that they would stop making slower-RPM lower-power drives for the desktop (3.5"), and now they're saying that they are going to stop making the higher-RPM drives for laptops (2.5")? They don't make sense.

Seagate has said that hybrid caching will close the gap. Basically, by only making 5400 RPM drives, they can have fewer product lines that make more money.

Seagate has already stopped making 7200 RPM drives, or at least, won't be offering any new 7200 RPM 1.8/2.5-inch drives.

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB is $120 at MicroCenter, albeit with $6 shipping, or pickup in-store and pay sales tax.

$115 at Staples

Just an FYI, Amazon has the 1TB version for the same price.

BamBam0099 said:   Just an FYI, Amazon has the 1TB version for the same price.
And it seems from this review that the 7200 RPM of the older drive is measurably faster:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RJJN16UN3DVQ9/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014