• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We're pleased to announce the launch of our new redesigned FatWallet Forums Mobile! This version brings a long awaited design update along with several features not previously available with our mobile forum design. To access the new mobile site, you simply have to browse to the forums from your phone and we'll automatically detect you're on a mobile device. Not on a mobile device but want to check it out? You can do so by clicking the "Mobile Forums" link in the footer of any FatWallet page. You can always switch back to the full site using the "Full Site" link at the top or bottom of any mobile page.

Voting is now enabled. You can vote by clicking the rate button on any post.

Private messages are accessible from mobile. To go along with this, we've added a new feature where you can "Star" your PM's that you wish to reference later.

The "My Today" page has all the information as the Today page on the full site, but is now accessible from mobile. You can keep track of your thread subscriptions, favorite topics, hot topics, and even topics you recently posted in.

*Editing to add*
We just added the ability to change your font size. You can now choose from large, medium, or small text size. If you go to your Mobile Settings page, you will see "Text size" with 3 radio buttons. Check the size you want and click "Save Settings".

We've also changed how we remember your current view. What this means is, if you browse FatWallet from the mobile view, you'll be on mobile the next time you come back. Or, if you prefer to view the full site, then we'll remember that on your next visit.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We ARE listening. What we aren't going to do is panic and make a bunch of changes based on a couple negative replies. ... (more)

MVP9596 (Apr. 30, 2013 @ 10:21a) |

dont know about the mobile site - never downloaded it but just tried to look at Hot Deals and nearly PUKED on the displa... (more)

drtrouble (Jun. 05, 2013 @ 8:55p) |

We just added the ability to change your font size. You can now choose from large, medium, or small text size. If you ... (more)

MVP9596 (Jun. 10, 2013 @ 2:19p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I thought something was wrong with my phone and then my iPad but this is what it is. As with anything that involves change it's going to take some getting used to that's for sure.

No kidding. I had the old view, clicked to go to the next page in the thread and got the new view. Seriously strange.

Green for being able to green on the phone

Honestly guys very nice looking site. However the text is extremely large and I'm scrolling 5 times as much as I used to. Can I somehow still view the old, plain, faster mobile site? I understand that I will be missing quiet a bit of functionality but I'm ok with that.

Same feeling. Good looking, but not as efficient as the old view

Please leave the "classic" mobile view as an option

I liked it much better

Thanks for your feedback! We do recognize that some folks aren't going to like the redesign for various reasons. However, we're not going to have a classic version of our forum mobile site.

We'll be happy to listen to your feedback and take it into account for any minor tweaks or updates going forward

I think you should limit subject lines if it technically shows more topics without scrolling down.

Why does it seem like website re-designs always end up being LESS efficient and LESS user friendly?

Kudos for the improvements but I'd rather have the old mobile site, frankly. This one makes poor use of mobile screen space.

Really cool

If the old site is no longer an option, hopefully you can still optimize it more for SMALLER screens. It seems to be designed for iPad or other big tablets. Not really effective for phone browsing.

Do like being able to green posts.

Im viewing this from my Nexus4 and its kind of big.. Can only see like like 5 topics per scroll maybe I guess I'm used to the old classic view! Kudos still, keep it up!

Is this 4/1 not 4/11? Not a fan. This must have something to do with them getting bought. Let the homogenization begin

Does the ignore feature work on the new version?

The redesign looks pretty bad... Was this comparison tested on say an iphone?

I've always thought the Fatwallet site (classic) was the epitome of good mobile design. It was a clean looking site that presented everything you wanted, without the fluff that you didn't want. The new site unfortunately doesn't meet those goals.

I will agree with those not crazy with the redesign. More scrolling. More aesthetics and less information/text in the iPhone screen. Will see in the iPad....maybe more appropriate there. Like others said, the option for the "classic" mobile format would be appreciated.

too big
Disclaimer
I do not appreciate how little I can see on my Galaxy Nexus. I've attached a screen shot for you. It is however better on an iPad. Please allow the classic option or at least the ability to modify sizes (large, medium, small). Also allow us to shut off what we want to see (# posts, who op was, etc...).

I like it a lot. Great job guys.

Ditto the classic option. I won't be visiting FW anymore on my phone.

Being able to rate posts from mobile is nice. How about clicking on the rating to see who rated it? As it stands, you still have to go to full version to see that info.

i'm using an older mobile phone and have lost most of the functionality as a result of the redesign. Can't really use the new site without major hassle so I guess I will be moving over to the SD forums.

MVP9596 said:   Thanks for your feedback! We do recognize that some folks aren't going to like the redesign for various reasons. However, we're not going to have a classic version of our forum mobile site.

We'll be happy to listen to your feedback and take it into account for any minor tweaks or updates going forward

Maybe you should listen to what users are saying rather than programmers and web designers. There's a simple fix that we are all asking for: we have to scroll more to get less. Reduce the font sizes. We don't care if you call it Classic Coke or New Coke, just make it efficient. It's harder to read and it's harder to scope a deal quickly. I get new things take adjustments, but you are missing the point if you assume that this is a "need to get used to it" issue.

Well.... I'm sure somebody worked really hard on this.... And I always make a conscious effort to embrace change...

But it was the simplicity of the previous mobile format that I loved. I actually preferred it to the full site.

But, alas.... There must be progress. *sigh*

Another one not liking the changes.
Sometimes I just want information and quickly -not pretty borders and buttons that take up precious screen space.

Such a chore to browse the mobile site now. Liked the classic one way better.

Can't even get myself to flip to the next page!

frett said:   Why does it seem like website re-designs always end up being LESS efficient and LESS user friendly?

Kudos for the improvements but I'd rather have the old mobile site, frankly. This one makes poor use of mobile screen space.

Because people don't like change. The keyword in your post is 'seem'.

I actually like the redesign. I frequent the Canadian equivalent (RfD) and it is similar look and feel, so I'm used to it. I find it easy to scroll and quite smooth despite the fewer topics per page, much easier on the eyes with more accurate topic selection.

However, I think:
* New topic & reply buttons are badly located - I've already clicked on it several times when I intended to click on the next arrow.
If you really have to keep it on that row, may be put it on the far left instead of right since one would use NEXT more than PREVIOUS button.

* I think the previous /next buttons should be larger to avoid precision tapping on mobiles, ie more finger friendly.

Now that there are more posts to this thread, when I click "Rate" my screen goes gray like the popup is there, but there are no buttons rendering.

If I rate an earlier post, it still works. Just not these posts further down the thread.

webOS here

New design fail!

We'll get over it?

I just cannot comprehend, how can you take something so beautiful in its simplicity as your previous mobile site and destroy it with redesign like this.

Your mobile site was really extremely useful, the design was brilliant. Whoever designed it originally put a lot of thought into what kind of experience mobile users expect. It was one of the best mobile sites on the internet, without exaggeration.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci
"The simplest things are often the truest." - Richard Bach
"Simplicity is the nature of great souls." - Papa Ramadas
"Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." Frederic Chopin

Technical feedback:

The layout is coded incorrectly, it does not flow properly on my phone screen (windows 8 phone), the screen initially is presented where 60% width is visible, the rest is cut off, I have to double tap on each new screen for it to adjust. This was not the case with the previous site. It was able adjust correctly to my screen size.

Do not use multiple lines of screen estate for information you can put in one line, thread rating/username/date-replies. Same for Section header, prev/next page. This could probably be on the same line.

Pay careful attention to spacing between controls. For example "next page" and "new topic" buttons are too close to each other.

Most redirects to external sites are broken due to multiple redirect being used. Its really hard to go back to fatwallet, one needs to click the back button multiple times to defeat redirects on the way back (it was true on the old site too)

Take away tablets/desktops from people involved in this redesign, reward them with use of fatwallet site exclusively on their cell phones, so they can fully appreciate the new redesign.

Elimination of the classic view is a classic thing that comes from primadonna UI designers. Please please bring back the classic.

And why isn't there a search box @ the top of the screen? Like w/ classic? Seems to be a braindead-obvious thing to have. Seriously, I'm expected to scroll to bottom to search?

(Sent via blackberry.)

Search
Disclaimer
Bagofchips said:   And why isn't there a search box @ the top of the screen? Like w/ classic? Seems to be a braindead-obvious thing to have. Seriously, I'm expected to scroll to bottom to search?

(Sent via blackberry.)

Click the search magnifying glass at the top. It jumps you down to the search box.

I like the redesign. So at least that's 1 non-complaint.

MVP9596 said:   Bagofchips said:   And why isn't there a search box @ the top of the screen? Like w/ classic? Seems to be a braindead-obvious thing to have. Seriously, I'm expected to scroll to bottom to search?

(Sent via blackberry.)

Click the search magnifying glass at the top. It jumps you down to the search box.
It doesn't seem to work instantly and is slightly annoying to have the screen and focus shift like that.

MVP9596 said:   Bagofchips said:   And why isn't there a search box @ the top of the screen? Like w/ classic? Seems to be a braindead-obvious thing to have. Seriously, I'm expected to scroll to bottom to search?

(Sent via blackberry.)

But why should I even have to click to search (duh)?

Second I mobile search with images off because of bloated "mobile" sites that FwM now is. There are a lot of places where could improve alternative links if images are off.

To even click the "Reply" button for this very reply I have to scroll.

tigi said:   I just cannot comprehend, how can you take something so beautiful in its simplicity as your previous mobile site and destroy it with redesign like this.

Your mobile site was really extremely useful, the design was brilliant. Whoever designed it originally put a lot of thought into what kind of experience mobile users expect. It was one of the best mobile sites on the internet....

The layout is coded incorrectly, it does not flow properly on my phone screen (windows 8 phone), the screen initially is presented where 60% width is visible, the rest is cut off, I have to double tap on each new screen for it to adjust. This was not the case with the previous site. It was able adjust correctly to my screen size.

Do not use multiple lines of screen estate for information you can put in one line, thread rating/username/date-replies. Same for Section header, prev/next page. This could probably be on the same line.

Pay careful attention to spacing between controls. For example "next page" and "new topic" buttons are too close to each other.

Most redirects to external sites are broken due to multiple redirect being used. Its really hard to go back to fatwallet, one needs to click the back button multiple times to defeat redirects on the way back (it was true on the old site too)....
I would love to give this post a good rating, but I cannot now that it's further down the list of posts. Grrrr....

Anyways, excellent post and thank you for making suggestions for improvement and not just complaining. I tell my employees that they are not allowed to come to me with a complaint unless they have a solution for it. It cuts down on complaints and leads to improvements.

Unfortunately, as is usually the case in web design, the people at the gate are the same ones who influenced the design, so are highly reluctant to change or accept criticism. This phenomenon, as it relates to ANY product redesign (automotive, appliances, restaurants, etc), has been documented for decades but is so common in web design--often because the design teams are usually so tiny.

Skipping 77 Messages...
We just added the ability to change your font size. You can now choose from large, medium, or small text size. If you go to your Mobile Settings page, you will see "Text size" with 3 radio buttons. Check the size you want and click "Save Settings".

We've also changed how we remember your current view. What this means is, if you browse FatWallet from the mobile view, you'll be on mobile the next time you come back. Or, if you prefer to view the full site, then we'll remember that on your next visit.

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and ideas with us

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014