• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Refurb but 1 yr warranty

•Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E8400
Features 2 processing cores, 6MB L2 cache and 3.0GHz processor speed per core.
•Intel® Advanced Smart Cache technology
Minimizes wait times by allocating more access to frequently used data to the processing core that needs it most.
•4GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power.
•DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
Archive your digital files onto DVD and CD format.
•400GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
•Intel® GMA 4500 graphics
For lush images.
•8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Enable fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
•Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
•Windows 7 Professional Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Makes working anywhere easier and more secure. It simplifies connecting to networks and giving presentations and helps you safeguard your hard work and important information

Link

Member Summary

HP/Compaq Desktop - 4GB Memory
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
7 left.

Model HP DC7800,
2.33 Ghz Intel Core2duo cpu
160gb hard drive
6gb ram. Windows 7 64bit.
DVD-RW/cdr.
Send me a priva... (more)

dclaremont (Apr. 18, 2013 @ 11:07a) |

5 Left.

dclaremont (Apr. 19, 2013 @ 4:25p) |

Here's the similar one I picked up at Micro Center: http://www.microcenter.com/product/411675/7900_Desktop_Computer_...

$... (more)

SlimTim (Apr. 25, 2013 @ 8:53p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Great? No.

But it does come with a 400gb drive, 4GB Ram, and a Win 7 professional license. That's an easy $150-worth already, not to mention a 1yr warranty, something even new hard drives barely have.

Good? Yes..for certain niches.

Green.

greened it, but I wouldn't call it a great deal. A solid deal on a refurb.

Would love to see this with no OS for $75-100 less!

Logan71 said:   Good? Yes..for certain niches.
Curious what niches you see this being a good deal for... Might buy one or two for specific, work-related needs (cheap development db and app server) but these would be fine for basic home use (Internet, Office, light gaming, etc).

I was kinda interested until I saw it was offered by worst buy!!

rmi65700 said:   I was kinda interested until I saw it was offered by worst buy!!

Yeah, that's what I meant when I IDed it as BB. If you don't buy things at BestBuy, why not just go to Sears and pay 150% MSRP, except when stuff is on sale at 95%?

Not thrilled about the BB thing, but this is EXACTLY what I need for work. Our company is tightly tied to the residential home construction (you can imagine what business has been like for the past four years) and our PCs are all VERY old (read: 7-10 years or so). Windows XP everywhere. This is an inexpensive way to upgrade some of the PCs in the office to current-ish technology very cheaply.

Thanks OP.

I see these are a super sweet deal in areas of budget constraints and small business where your equipment is way outdated.

I picked up a very similar refurb from the local Micro Center. They still stock a few if you have one nearby: http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=dc7900
Right now, their options have lesser specs but are even cheaper.

It's working great for me as an HTPC. The footprint is a little small for a desktop, and it runs quiet and handles streaming very smoothly.

There are similar HP systems with AMD Socket AM3 dual core Phenom II's that would be a MUCH better deal if they come around for a similar price. Just becuase you can stick a 4 or 6 core in them and prolong system life.

I'd be willing to bet the hard drives in these being 400GB are probably slightly older, much slower technology than some of the stuff that's been around in the last 3-4 years of higher capacity. Hard drive speed might sound unimportant but it makes an extreme performance difference.

but that 4GB of DDR2 is worth a few bucks !!! lol

If you buy this today, you'll be looking for another deal by Black Friday.

AVOID this 'deal'.

wfay said:   Would love to see this with no OS for $75-100 less!
Agreed.
I would run Linux on it.

Sorry to disagree with the most. This is old junk. Should be at least $100 off. Red.

The 7xxx series is HP's best business grade desktop (hence the inclusion of Windows 7 Professional). One positive on this system is that is almost completely tool-less design. It's extremely quiet and reliable. Agree with other posters, no OS and another $50-$75 off would make it really hot. Still, if you want to setup a PC for mom, this is ideal.

dadaddyindanatty said:   The 7xxx series is HP's best business grade desktop (hence the inclusion of Windows 7 Professional). One positive on this system is that is almost completely tool-less design. It's extremely quiet and reliable. Agree with other posters, no OS and another $50-$75 off would make it really hot. Still, if you want to setup a PC for mom, this is ideal.

Plus a monitor, keyboard & Mouse...

nicolaisnicer said:   Sorry to disagree with the most. This is old junk. Should be at least $100 off. Red.

I agree. The DC7900 series is from 2008. I would pay maybe $100 for this but $200+ is ridiculous. Add another $50-100 and get a new i3 tower.

meh

I have 22 of these from a office upgrade i did recently

Model HP DC7800,
160gb hard drive
DVD-RW/cdr.
Send me a PM if anyone wants one for $100 plus shipping.

Just from experience, BB's "Refurbished" are basically sorted out Used. Not expect this to be factory refurbish.

nm.

I'm really tempted by this. But the "regular price" (whatever that means these days) is $239.99, and so $225.98 is only a $14.01 savings. Gotta think about it a couple days.

blueribb said:   I agree. The DC7900 series is from 2008. I would pay maybe $100 for this but $200+ is ridiculous. Add another $50-100 and get a new i3 tower.For $275-325, I'd be interested in a 'new i3 tower'!

What generation i3?

Hot Deal only, or is there somewhere I could pick one up now?

Win 7 or 8?

Thanks!

TakeTheActive said:   blueribb said:   I agree. The DC7900 series is from 2008. I would pay maybe $100 for this but $200+ is ridiculous. Add another $50-100 and get a new i3 tower.For $275-325, I'd be interested in a 'new i3 tower'!

What generation i3?

Hot Deal only, or is there somewhere I could pick one up now?

Win 7 or 8?

Thanks!

Here's an example, but it's expired now:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1256299/

Between FW & SD I see desktop deals like these a few times a month. BB and Lenovo have desktop deals frequently too.

Bought one - Arrived today. Has no HDD. Best Buy of course is no help - they say i need to bring it in and will not troubleshoot over the phone.

There is a brand-new dual-core PC at around this price point here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1267907/

VirtuaL said:   There is a brand-new dual-core PC at around this price point here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1267907/

Yeah... with half the CPU benchmark.

Both are too much.

I still have 8 out of 22 of these left from a office upgrade i did recently

Model HP DC7800,
160gb hard drive
DVD-RW/cdr.
Send me a PM if anyone wants one for $100 plus shipping. Shipping is roughly $20

7 left.

Model HP DC7800,
160gb hard drive
DVD-RW/cdr.
Send me a private message if anyone wants one for $100 plus shipping. Shipping is roughly $20

5 Left.

Here's the similar one I picked up at Micro Center: http://www.microcenter.com/product/411675/7900_Desktop_Computer_...

$160 and it looks like they'll ship for $10 if they're not local. I've really only used it for streaming to tv output, using the onboard video. No complaints or glitches, it's slim for a pc and quiet. Still a couple in stock at my location. Note that it's less ram and smaller hard drive than these BB options:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor 3.0GHz
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
2GB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
DVD Drive
Display Not Included

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014