• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

ScanSnap iX500
Disclaimer
Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Scanner normally $429.99 at Newegg is discounted to $419.99 until 4/15/13. Free Shipping.

Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500

Use email promo code - EMCXSXL94 to get the discount. If you are not on Newegg's email list code may not work, simply sign up and it should work.

This is the upgraded/updated replacement for the S1500.

Now has 'Scan to Mobile' (iOS & Android via Wi-Fi to phone or tablet), 'Scan to Cloud' and a dual-core CPU-mounted “GI” processor. The "GI" does the OCR as the page is scanned instead of using your computer's CPU after the scan has transferred.

ADF (Automatic Document Feeder). Duplex color scanning at 25 pages per minute.
USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatible.

• Scan to Folder: Store PDF scans to a folder
• Scan to Email: Eliminate faxing and share electronic documents over email
• Scan Business Card: Scan business cards and automatically extract contact information
• Scan to Print: Use ScanSnap with your printer to create copies
• Scan to Word (.doc): Scan directly to an editable Word file
• Scan to Excel (.xls): Scan directly to an editable Excel file
• Scan to PowerPoint (.ppt): Scan directly to an editable PowerPoint file
• Scan to Picture Folder: Store JPEG scans to a folder.

Organizes your receipts, documents and files. Access your info quickly and get rid of the paper.

Newegg
See Newegg promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

thanks OP, in 4 1!

How does this compare to the ScanSnap S1500 (discontinued???)?

Is this a replacement to the S1500? Is it a better or worse unit?

TheBadBoy said:   How does this compare to the ScanSnap S1500 (discontinued???)?

Much much MUCH better... with S1500, scan to searchable PDF can take 1 minute or more... but after upgrading to iX500 it went down to around 5-6 seconds!

This thing must be great for the fatwallet crowd to be happy over a $10 discount.

yaijic said:   This thing must be great for the fatwallet crowd to be happy over a $10 discount.

The Doxie Pro came out on top at Lifehacker, but this was in second place.

tafandi said:   TheBadBoy said:   How does this compare to the ScanSnap S1500 (discontinued???)?

Much much MUCH better... with S1500, scan to searchable PDF can take 1 minute or more... but after upgrading to iX500 it went down to around 5-6 seconds!

Can you search for the text via the windows search bar or do you have to search in the PDF itself? We have tons and tons of patient records and sometimes we dont know what PDF it is.

misch said:   The Doxie Pro came out on top at Lifehacker, but this was in second place.

These results don't hold much merit simply because 18.92% voted for Smartphone Camera. It seems to me that if you use your smartphone camera to go paperless, you're missing out on quite a bit of functionality.

i3ighead said:   Can you search for the text via the windows search bar or do you have to search in the PDF itself? We have tons and tons of patient records and sometimes we dont know what PDF it is.

Yes.

http://blog.techhit.com/55696-indexing-and-searching-pdf-content...

yaijic said:   This thing must be great for the fatwallet crowd to be happy over a $10 discount.

You are quite right.

I bought one of these about 3 weeks ago for $415 from Amazon and it's a great piece of equipment! Check out the Youtube videos of it in action for the best idea of how to use it. It's very fast and the added features and paper handling (various sizes down to small receipts) make it a great choice.

Does This Use A Twain Driver?

This (and its predecessors) is one of the best pieces of office equipment I have ever bought. Fantastic product.

brightonuk said:   Does This Use A Twain Driver?

No it doesn't. Here's why.

No good for QuickBooks without the Twain Driver

All I can say is that unless you need the latest model, older models from Canon and others on eBay for $100-150 are the bomb!

eg. Canon DR-2050C for $110 on eBay right now - still is able to gobble up 20+ppm double-sided, and the only consumables is the rubber rollers that need to be replaced every 40k+ pages or so. (precisionroller.com etc have them: http://www.precisionroller.com/paper-feed-kits-for-canon-dr-2050c-imageformula-scanner/details_32790.html)

These scanners typically run like a tank, so unless the prior owner jammed paper in there and messed up the feed rollers, there's no reason to buy a newer model at the $400+ price range. Got my DR-2050C this way and it's been running fine for years gobbling up books, magazines and statements to no end.

Newer, old models in the Canon range can also be had for a good price - DR-2050C was one of the very first models they made, so it's hard to find nowadays - but later models can also be had for a great price on eBay used.

brightonuk said:   No good for QuickBooks without the Twain Driver

Keep reading:

Can I scan documents into Quickbooks?

It seems like a lot of people are familiar with the ScanSnap iX500.

What software do you use to organize with once you've scanned things?

Have you tried the "Rack2- Filer Smart" that comes with the "Deluxe" version of this scanner? Is "Rack2- Filer Smart" that much more helpful than the "ScanSnap Organizer" program that is bundled with both versions?

So I've got to buy a $300 dollar 3rd party plugin to do what every other scanner has supported for what, twenty-five years at this point?

I say that as an owner of the s1500. Fujitsu's explanation for why they don't support TWAIN is bogus on its face to anyone who remembers pre-TWAIN.

i3ighead said:   tafandi said:   TheBadBoy said:   How does this compare to the ScanSnap S1500 (discontinued???)?

Can you search for the text via the windows search bar or do you have to search in the PDF itself? We have tons and tons of patient records and sometimes we dont know what PDF it is.

I switched to Sumatra PDF from Adobe Reader because of a minor issue with the way Adobe Reader searches when whitespace is involved. I still have a copy of Adobe Reader installed because it handles forms with editable fields much better and there's a simple menu in Sumatra to allow "Open with Adobe Reader".

If I remember correctly, Adobe Reader has an option to search multiple files, you just need to find where in the program you can do this. Otherwise, there's Astrogrep:

Astrogrep screenshots (PDF search not yet implemented, I didn't realize this earlier)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014