• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
tellaw99 said:   
MrVietnam said:   

Well, was I surprised to find out my bill this month had jumped from $20.50 to $41. I called in to the direct cancellation line and asked what was going on as back in May the rep told me it would be $20.50 for 12 months. The agent who helped me today said the promotion I was on was actually only for six months and not 12 months. I told him I was mistold by the rep who helped me six months ago. He told me clearly that it was for 12 months. I asked if he could issue me a credit then for the time my bill doubled and he said when he looks back at the notes from the last rep he cannot see where the rep promised me the $20.50 rate would be for 12 months, so he said it was AT&T policy not to issue a credit unless the rep left documentation on my account., What a crock! I finally was able to get a $20 credit out of him but that is all he would give. Also, interestingly he said for the last six months at the $20,50 price I was getting only 3 mbps...I always thought I was getting 6 mbps during that time. I accepted the first offer the rep gave me. He offered to move me up to 12 mbps (the fastest speed currently in my area - Orange County, CA) for $25.50 a month for 12 months on a one-year contract. I am always afraid to threaten cancellation and refuse offers because the rep just might do it and cancel my account and then I would bescrewed and have to pay all the new subscriber fees again to reconnect (activation, etc.). I probably didn't get the best deal I could have, but it isn't a bad deal at all. He said at 12 mbps my Internet will be very fast, especially when watching video.clips and movies. It will be fun to test it out for the next year.

They tried to pull the same cr*p on me...  After 6 months, the price went up and I had to wrestle with them to get them to do what they said they were going to do (12 months at the lower price).

ATT pulled the same stunt on me.  In Late January I called to get a better rate after my deal expired.  in summary, the deal I was given did not show up on the bill...they basically flat out lied to me and my bill was $40 higher than what it was supposed to be.  At the time of my call, I asked the rep to document everything he was telling me, so when I call today I guess we will see if he wrote it all down.

2cheap2eat said:   Finally got a chance to call, in less than 20 min, I went from $39 for 6mb with equip. fee to $27.50 with equipment for 12mb. I did have to agree to a 12 month contract but that's no biggie. I couldn't get them to the $23/month that others have posted, but I'm fine with $27.50.

Well I'm still in my 12 month time period for 3 more months, but my bill went up by $2 in Feb and now up $5/month.  I called and billing rep said they raised the base fees and my promo was for a certain percentage off the "base fee".  I will call cancellation and post what happens. ATT seems so shady in how they do these backhanded price increases.

My first call was a dud - she wouldn't do better than 30% off. Second call I was offered 50% off immediately...and I was able to negotiate an additional $40 off my existing bill by telling them that Charter was going to pay up to $200 of my cancellation fees.

I saved $22/month, but I look at it as saving $304 today ($22*12=$264 + $40credit) - We goin' Sizzla!

Those wanting non internet based phone service should give StraightTalk Home Phone a try, $15 a month unlimited, and it is easily modified to work in the car..

The charter deal is for new customers, I dumped charter last month after 12+years because they raised my internet $20+ a month for nothing new, and said because I wasn't new I couldn't get any promotions, so I said bye, bye.

Charter has no $29.99 a month internet for anyone....

2cheap2eat said:   
Well I'm still in my 12 month time period for 3 more months, but my bill went up by $2 in Feb and now up $5/month.  I called and billing rep said they raised the base fees and my promo was for a certain percentage off the "base fee".  I will call cancellation and post what happens. ATT seems so shady in how they do these backhanded price increases.

I will be calling for a cancellation also. They did the same increase to me before the end of the one year price I was quoted. This strikes me as a deceptive billing practice in that I was not offered a particular discount amount, I was offered a monthly rate that they are now discontinuing. If I have to finish out the year at the new price it will be that much easier to dump this company.

ETA: I called today to see about ending the one year promo since they were not honoring the price I was quoted and they offered me a new promo that was better than the last. So, at least for now I have the understanding that the price can change because the promo is only for the amount of the discount.

ivo09 said:   Beware that you are probably signing a 12-month deal to get this pricing.

The strategy here is to keep bargaining for less, and once they stop sweetening the deal, then accept their last/best offer. I called them about 2 months ago and told them I was switching to DIRECTV (I had UV Max Turbo & U200) and was paying close to $170 since my promotion rate stopped). The rep asked me if I would stay if they lowered my bill by $20. I told her it wasn't enough at which point she offered to bump me up to U300 and I agreed. With hindsight, I was I had bargained for more since I am sure they could take another $20-$30 off and still be making a profit.

AT&T Direct Cancellation Line: 1-877-999-1083
I was given this number from a AT&T rep. This is a direct line meaning the person who answers your call only deals with people who want to cancel so be ready to negotiate. They are trained to give you "sweet deals" to get you to stay. NEVER AGREE TO THEIR FIRST DEAL!! They can always go LOWER PRICE/BETTER PACKAGE! Anyone who has ever worked in sales will tell you this. Only you know how far you can push, but don't agree to their first $20 OFF deal!!

Worked EXACTLY as you said, thanks much, Larry

i am not able to find any "shop now" link on the page. it is always showing $29.99 when bundled.

GeorgiaBulldawg said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
GeorgiaBulldawg said:   
yesidonoitall said:   [ Your Charter link says this
See Details
only $29.99/mo each for 12 mos when bundled*

Try scrolling down on that page? You will see the $29.99 non-bundled special they are offering. Also, this offer may only be good for those that are not current Charter customers? ymmv

The page is full size, no scrolling available.

I am not a current Charter customer. I click on the 'Shop Now' button at the link I provided. It then asks me for my phone number or address. It then takes me to a page showing me their 'Best Triple Play Bundles Options' at the top of the page. I scroll down to 'Other Offers' and that is where I find the internet only 'Internet Plus 30mbps Option' for $29.99.

when i clicked the above there is no shop now button. it is always showing $29.99 when bundled *

renewed for another year for 28@12Mbps.

greenearth said:   renewed for another year for 28@12Mbps.
I was just offered that as well, but the phrasing is different (and very important in light of the discussions above): it is 50% off, not a set amount. That means that if they increase the price (as they do every March), the amount I pay will also increase.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014