• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
OK, the first time, it was $35 at B&H. I bought one, and loved it. I was going to buy another, but found that the prices just kept climbing to around $80 or $90.

I'm something of a cheerleader for this product, because it has saved me so many trips to the post office. If you sell via Paypal or eBay (same entities, I know), this thing is indispensable. I was ready to shell out the $80 to have one as backup, until I found this price.

Limited supply, according to B&H. Man, I just love these little printers!

LINK

Member Summary

Brother QL-700 Label Printer
Thanks Llilith
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

can you explain how it prints postage and particularly for eBay packages? do you need a Stamps.com account or some such?

If I print priority mail labels from eBay will this handle that? I don't see the option when I am printing postage from eBay.

Thanks!

yes. It will print the priority label. Very nice tool. Love it.
P.S: it will print a long slim version of with bar code on it. This will save you time of printing on regular printer, then cut and glue it to the package.

ForSpud said:   can you explain how it prints postage and particularly for eBay packages? do you need a Stamps.com account or some such?

If I print priority mail labels from eBay will this handle that? I don't see the option when I am printing postage from eBay.

Thanks!

I don't think so. It is just too small and is unsupported by eBay printing app. You need zebra lp 2844

For those that prefer a local deal and easy returns, this printer is also on sale at Staples this week for $49.99 here . You can use the current 10% customer appreciation coupon and/or Rewards to get it for less. In terms of a "deal" I am not sure where the OP is seeing this for $$80-$90? $40-$50 seems to be the "normal" street pricing for this printer as I have seen it $49.99 or less for months at one online retailer or another. There is also a newer wireless version, the QL-710W which is also frequently on sale in the $60-$70 range. The QL-710W has been as low as $49.99 at Buy.com back in late February
Having used both Ql-700/710 versions they are descent label printers for light home use. However here are the major drawbacks of these Brother QL700/710s:

1. Unlike the cheap Zebra 2842/2844s you can get off eBay these Brothers do not accept the readily available wide thermal shipping labels like the ones UPS and FedEx provide for free.
2. These QL700/710 series require special label stock with a proprietary backing that contains printer control markings so the Brother printer knows how to properly feed them and the label stock must be on a special spindle to operate correctly.
3. The genuine Brother labels are insanely expensive. However there are some generics for the most popular labels sizes are readily available on eBay if you are willing to rewind your labels on the original spindle or buy an aftermarket spindle.
4. If you actually want barcodes that will scan on your labels they must be printed in high resolution mode which only available through Brothers crappy P_Touch editing software.

They're kind of cool. But I put mine out on the street because Paypal shipping doesn't support printing to those using a Mac, and I didn't want it bad enough to do virtualization just to print labels.

tabasco4107 said:   yes. It will print the priority label. Very nice tool. Love it.
P.S: it will print a long slim version of with bar code on it. This will save you time of printing on regular printer, then cut and glue it to the package.

The problem is that barcode will not scan so what good is it?. Even Brother has admitted this and advises customer not to print barcode for the USPS, FedEx, or UPS with this printer using third party software such as eBay/ PayPal shipping that does not allow you to set the labels print density. It cannot be set within their printer driver either. IOW, unless you print barcodes through their crappy P-Touch editing software in high resolution mode they are basically un-scannable with the high-volume sorting machinery that the USPS, FedEx, and UPS now uses.

cnIsfg said:   tabasco4107 said:   yes. It will print the priority label. Very nice tool. Love it.

The problem is that barcode will not scan so what good is it?. Even Brother has admitted this and advises customer not to print barcode for the USPS, FedEx, or UPS with this printer using third party software such as eBay/ PayPal shipping that does not allow you to set the labels print density. It cannot be set within their printer driver either. IOW, unless you print barcodes through their crappy P-Touch editing software in high resolution mode they are basically un-scannable with the high-volume sorting machinery that the USPS, FedEx, and UPS now uses.

I've never experienced or read about this; everything I ship using this printer's labels arrives on time, with tracking that works (from my end, anyhow) as expected. Any citations / links to reports of this problem? I couldn't find a single reference with a few Google searches... Maybe a link to that advice from Brother?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014