• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
UPDATE 4/29---price dropped to $7.99.

Link. Average review score of 4 stars. All-time low price according to that camel-related pricetracking site.

Belkin produced this when Windows 7 came out and people wanted an easy way to migrate data from their old XP/Vista machines to their new Win7 box. There are certainly other ways---linking both machines on the same network, Ethernet cross-over cables, etc--- but if you're not networking-savvy and want a really fast and idiot-proof way, this fits the bill pretty nicely. For better or worse, it utilizes the Windows Easy Transfer software provided by Microsoft with Windows 7. That software does have inherent limitations as to what it can transfer successfully.

FYI, none of the reviews appear to mention whether this will work with Windows 8. My bet is---probably. Belkin makes a similar product which is labelled as working with Windows 8 (here it is at Amazon). It appears to have a longer cable, which might be more convenient for some.

Neither product seems designed to take advantage of USB 3.0, unfortunately.

Member Summary

easy transfer
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Some of the Amazon comments reflect that people have lost data from both the source and destination PCs (i.e. unless they had previously made a separate backup of the data, they no longer have it anywhere) when trying to transfer it with this cable. Some also had issues with programs disappearing. I don't know why those things would happen, but it is important for potential buyers to know about them.

This device works fine with Windows 8 as well...I transferred data from wife's old laptop to new Windows 8 with no issues...easy as pie!!! Good price, I paid $15 for this item last year.

Does this retain the applications installed from a XP machine to Windows 8 (or Windows 7) machine? Or does it just copies data only?

ramamurthis said:   Does this retain the applications installed from a XP machine to Windows 8 (or Windows 7) machine? Or does it just copies data only?

If you use Windows Easy Transfer software provided by Microsoft, then yes, only data not programs. You will need to reinstall your old programs/applications.

Thanks, OP for posting this item.

I checked at Best Buy and found they had this item for the same $9.99 price as Amazon, but with in-store pick-up to save shipping cost.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Belkin+-+Microsoft+Windows+7+USB+Mig... Easy Transfer (F5U279) &cp=1&lp=2

UPDATE: Best Buy now has this item for $7.99.

Dropped to $7.99 at Amazon today also.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014