• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Forgive me - I am a long time lurker, not much of a poster, so please don't beat me up too bad...

I just stumbled upon this Raspberry Pi bundle at raspberry-pi-buy.com which seems like a great deal:
Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB + Case + Micro Usb + Wall Power Adapter

They offer free shipping in the US and overseas shipping is available.

**updated title to reflect price drop to 50.99

Member Summary

Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

jrozsa (May. 02, 2013 @ 8:42p) |

What projects could I do with this Raspberry Pi that would appeal to an 11-year old somewhat technically inclined girl?

OceanMist (May. 03, 2013 @ 4:31a) |

Sweet! I just bought the RPi quick start guide from pragprog to see what I can do with this thing, but I'm still in the... (more)

FatWallEEE (May. 06, 2013 @ 10:06p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In the ball-park but, meh...
Easy to offer free shipping when they charge $8 more for model B 512k than Newark or Allied.
For red color Pi, "Smuggled from China" seems dubious.

What does this thing use for? Media player?

Single board computer, great!!

alam said:   What does this thing use for? Media player?

It works great as a media player. XBMC has an install that runs on Pi. Google it and you'll find tons of different uses.

Price is now $50.99

This is probably the cheapest computing platform you can get for multi use. Great tool for teaching kids introduction into programming.

Seller jroz9303 has eBay score of 1172 (positive 99.7%). this item does not appear to be offered by this seller on eBay.

I have updated the title to reflect the 4-22-13 To 4-29-13 sale price of $50.99

FYI, if you already have a micro USB (phone charger maybe), and if you don't want the case, the official distributors (Newark or Allied) sell them for $35 a pop. I got one from Allied and I got it 3 days after ordering.

If you want to assemble by hand, the Amazon 2.1A charger they have on their site is
highly regarded @ ~$10

I bought mine from mcmelectronics a few months back for $35 along with some other parts so shipping was not too bad either.

Edit: I see why this is a better deal. Mine did not come with USB psu, MicroUSB adapter or case

Love mine with RaspBMC. It's XBMC for this device. I use my tv's USB port for power (somewhat reliably) and since a recent update, I use the tv's (vizio brand) remote to control it via CEC.

Can this run android?

How hard to get RaspBMC installed/running on the Pi? I use XBMC on Ubuntu 12.10 box. Thanks.

lennyboy said:   Can this run android?
It may be some time before android is available. You can follow some of the effort underway by going to xda-developers.com and typing "raspberry pi" as the device name.
In the mean time, here's an article about what can be done outside of android: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/10-raspber...

kevingregg said:   How hard to get RaspBMC installed/running on the Pi? I use XBMC on Ubuntu 12.10 box. Thanks.

Extremely easy. Download the Windows based installer that puts the base installer on the sd card. Then pop the card into your pi and plug it in. It will automatically download and install the newest pi firmware and the current xbmc version. It will also make sure the partition on the sd card to expanded all the way out.

I have also used Openelec and that is a little more difficult to install if you only have Windows based pc's. I had to go to a separate website to download the correct image file. Place it on the sd card, boot it up, then had to manually expand out the partitions on the card. Updating the config.txt to install the codecs was a huge pain compared to Raspbmc.

Thanks Op Just ordered one to get RaspBMC going.

Can this thing (with RaspBMC) play 1080P MKV (10-12GB) movies smoothly through the 10/100 ethernet?

I am interested but I have not been able confirm one way or the other. Can this decode DTS when running XBMC?

siaopao said:   Can this thing (with RaspBMC) play 1080P MKV (10-12GB) movies smoothly through the 10/100 ethernet?

Haven't tried, but I use an apple airport express as a wireless bridge to play 720p files with no issues.

Microcenter has them for $40.

What's the difference between buying a refurb wd live and this with xbmc

Luniz97 said:   What's the difference between buying a refurb wd live and this with xbmc

WD Live = off the shelf media player

Raspberry Pi = single board computer with media player capabilities

While there are many people who are using a Rasp Pi as just a media player, it can do a lot more.

palo34 said:   Microcenter has them for $40.not including Case + Micro Usb + Wall Power Adapter and Free US shipping, which seems to have everyone excited about this deal.
Thank you, though, for pointing out that Microcenter sells these. Something to keep in mind next time I'm in their neighborhood.

This is probably a stupid question, but can you run XBMC while simultaneously using the RP as a VPN/Proxy server?

hi everyone. thank you for you interest in our products. This is John from Raspberry-Pi-Buy.com.

We will do our best to answer your questions...

-

The Raspberry Pi can be used for robotics, as a media center, for learning how to program and it is great for children learning computers. XBMC is the media center OS that you can use to make your Raspberry Pi work as a media center. Please note, you will need an SD card (which works as the hard drive) loaded with an approved OS for the Raspberry Pi, and proper power (the Raspberry Pi needs at least 1A 5V of power or it will freeze)to get up and running. Please email us for any more questions you may have and we will be sure to answer them. Also if you have any questions after your purchase. you can contact us by phone or via live chat on our website and we do our very best to answer your questions!

BenderTheRobot said:   In the ball-park but, meh...
Easy to offer free shipping when they charge $8 more for model B 512k than Newark or Allied.
For red color Pi, "Smuggled from China" seems dubious.

We bought these from China. We purchased them although they really are not supposed to be sold in the USA. We only have a few of them and they are hard to get passed through customs so we have to raise the price on those.

these things were about $150 2 years ago

zelman said:   siaopao said:   Can this thing (with RaspBMC) play 1080P MKV (10-12GB) movies smoothly through the 10/100 ethernet?

Haven't tried, but I use an apple airport express as a wireless bridge to play 720p files with no issues.

What is your setup like to do this? Smart tv that streams it?

Siapoa, very likely - yes! I have not tried it but given that the network connection is fast enough there is no reason why it would not work. I have played 1080p with no problems. I could not believe my eyes that something for $35 could play 1080p so well infact. (straight on a thumb drive in my case)

has anyone purchased from this site? legit? how fast for shipping?

jrozsa > do you know if newer sdhc cards would work on these? have a couple uhs-1 cards lying around, but i'm not sure if they'll be 'too fast' for a pi.

From China or not, doesn't make much of a difference. I bought one from Newark and it had some issues where the mouse and the keyboard wouldn't work when both plugged in. Possibly too much power draw but they were the lowest accessories I could find. Could also have been a poor interconnect. Anyhow the point is, these are great if you love turning your computer into your project. I get paid for electronics failure analysis and destructive test but didn't want to bother touching up solder joints and checking connections on a $50 dollar project.

Just my two cents for anyone who is on the fence on this thing.

FlyNReeLow said:   has anyone purchased from this site? legit? how fast for shipping?I picked up this deal, ordered on 4/23 ... received in my mailbox 4/27 (& mail to my neighborhood is usually a day later than other areas of town).

I plan on playing w/ Raspbmc on it.

http://www.raspbmc.com/

I just installed the XBMC distro using an 8GB Class 10 SDHC and haven't run into any problems yet. I've tested it so far with 1080p mkvs and it's been smooth like butter. Note that if your files have DTS audio, it will not be able to decode it on the device - it will however, pass the DTS through HDMI, so your TV or receiver can do that heavy lifting.

All in all, there are more full-featured and sexy media players out there, but if you are looking for something that you can customize as much as you want and maybe do some playing around with it in general, I'd say the Raspberry Pi is a great little box!

Yeah these things are so much fun to play with, i broke my last one, the plastics so I just pulled the rigger, they upcharge a little but free shipping makes up for it.. thanks op!

Skipping 14 Messages...
jrozsa said:   FatWallEEE said:   jrozsa said:   generally anything faster than a class 10 uses too much power and will cause issues. I would use a card that we sell or you can see list of verified sd cards for the pi here: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

Thanks for the link. Looks like I lot of the stuff I already own seem to be verified to work on the Pi

For the $50.99 set, is there any chance we can switch out the power adapter (+ usb cable) for some other accessories on your site, though? Don't really need any more of those around the house. Haha!

Sure. Just shoot us a message through the website and we can work out something. I run this company by myself so your message will go to me

Sweet! I just bought the RPi quick start guide from pragprog to see what I can do with this thing, but I'm still in the middle of some other project right now. I'll get in touch with you again directly on your site (maybe in a week or 2?) when I know what other accessories I may need to buy. Thanks again!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014