• 1 23458
  • Page
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
OK FW'ers, I'm about to open your eyes to a super cheap and robust media center. I personally have 3 of these bad boys setup around my house. This requires some very light computer skills to take full advantage of it.

If you remember the Belkin N300 router with Tomato firmware thread, this is one of those deals.

Linky right here for the MK808
OR Linky for the MK808B (BlueTooth) @ $49.27

This is a remote I'm buying for it ($20), but you can use virtually any wireless keyboard/mouse or wired keyboard/mouse, or just an XBMC phone app (iphone/android/etc) once you have it setup.

This product currently has a big underground following and I'm barely Android-savvy, but I've been having a blast learning about it.

This blows the Apple TV and Roku out of the water in my opinion.

EDIT: To those reporting antenna and heat issues, I read that those were the old designs. See here for images of the differences http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1269214/m17705042/#m17...

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

MK808
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Just to clarify ... Region codes are a different thing (see my 2nd link above regarding DVDs) and there are 6 regions.

bugsie (Jul. 09, 2013 @ 4:30p) |

it bears repeating, no one wants to read the whole thread for a good controller. I've tried half a dozen and my favorite... (more)

Monkeybiz (Jul. 09, 2013 @ 4:41p) |

Just using a plan old school wired mouse.

GeorgeT (Jul. 09, 2013 @ 5:26p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thank you for triggering my "Belkin" alert.

There were some issues with antenna on these devices from what I remember. The price is usually about $50 for these. Why do they make them that small? If they were more Roku like there would be plenty of room for a durable antenna and/or more ports. I'll read up some more about it and I'll decide whether to get one or not. Do you have any antenna issues with yours?

OP, could you throw more light on how is the performance? how's your setup (where your wireless router is? how did you set this thing up?) What TV channels do you watch? etc?

Gergor said:   Thank you for triggering my "Belkin" alert.

and my Roku alert...

WIFI: 802.11B/G

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-MK808B-Android-Rockchip-Cortex-A...

i would spend the few extra bucks and get the bluetooth version.

I have all kinds of BT crap for my phone, so this works wonders.

I will try and move it to the other side of the house tonight and report back. I read before I bought these, that this was the improved model with much better antenna and they put a bunch of vent slots on it to cool it.

If you look at "customer images" on Amazon for the link I sent (direct link here...actually I can't figure out how to direct link), there is one that's taken apart...that's the OLD model. You can tell by the location of his USB port on the lower right on the long-side of the unit. Currently, the USB port is located on the very bottom, short-side.

I've also updated the main post with the BlueTooth model. There is a firmware update that was originally only for the MK808 and not the BlueTooth version, that's why I didn't originally link to the BlueTooth, but it looks like they finally made it work with both. I think it's Finless 1.7 if you're searching firmware.

still looking for a post, blog, or something where somebody has used one of these with the DishAnywhere app on the Android market, thus not needing an extra dish receiver at a TV. Can't seem to find anything.

R4M0N said:   Gergor said:   Thank you for triggering my "Belkin" alert.

and my Roku alert...

And my $45.44 alert...

tschilling said:   still looking for a post, blog, or something where somebody has used one of these with the DishAnywhere app on the Android market, thus not needing an extra dish receiver at a TV. Can't seem to find anything.

Is there anyway for me to test this for you? I.E. You change your user/pass to something temporary, I download whatever app and login, then message you back?

I know for COX cable, I can rent/buy a cheap cable-card and use it somehow with this. I currently have a COX receiver they're charging me $20-25/month for and I think I can make this a DVR easily with the little COX CableCard.

Do you know if it supports MKV containers for the listed codec support? (*IE does it support MPEG2 MKV or H.264 MKV)
Or is this an actual full blown XBMC which supports everything normally and not a miniclient?

Tolken said:   Do you know if it supports MKV containers for the listed codec support? (*IE does it support MPEG2 MKV or H.264 MKV)
Or is this an actual full blown XBMC which supports everything normally and not a miniclient?

FULL BLOWN XBMC. Not a thin/lite client. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_for_Android_specific_F...

I downloaded/installed http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/android/xbmc-12.1-Frodo-armeabi... in maybe 5 minutes. I've never used android before this and I had no problem. I went to Settings>Something>Enable unknown sources, then went to XBMC in the android browser, clicked android, and it installed. That easy.

This device is very under-the-radar right now and will soon be very popular I think. Here is a youtube review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNyC7dcXx5w

i am waiting for my Roku 1 to die before I buy anything else

antenna has issue, the wireless connection drops every 5 minutes,and weak signal due to anntena has a ground wire not mounted correctly. but this can be fixed. just search on youtube for solution..

Can anyone confirm this model can support ethernet through USB? I understand Jelly Bean 4.1 can support it but want more assurance that it indeed works.

Al3xK said:   
FULL BLOWN XBMC.

KickAss, Thanks.

OLD VERSION
Disclaimer

NEW VERSION
Disclaimer
rayfor said:   antenna has issue, the wireless connection drops every 5 minutes,and weak signal due to anntena has a ground wire not mounted correctly. but this can be fixed. just search on youtube for solution..

DO NOT SPEAK SO SOON! I have read several reports that those issues were with the previous design. See these images for proof. You can see no cooling heatsync previously and there weren't slots. The new design is reportedly MUCH better.

fatwallet4ed said:   Can anyone confirm this model can support ethernet through USB? I understand Jelly Bean 4.1 can support it but want more assurance that it indeed works.
I'm like 80% sure it can. When I was researching this, I saw somebody had it hooked up with a USB-Ethernet thing.

Roku FTW!!! All you want is your media? Easy. PLEX!! No skill required. My experience with these types of devices sucked. It crashed, slow, laggy, only supported a couple wireless keyboards/mice, and overall just needs more R&D before they go out into the wild. Just my 2cents

I own a Roku, a couple apple TVs, MK808, and a few smart TVs, and this is definitely my favorite. My argument is you can't beat XBMC. Would I buy this for my parents?...probably not. They'd struggle with an ATV.

But if you've managed to find this thread, you're computer savvy enough to figure this thing out.

one80oneday said:   WIFI: 802.11B/G
The Bluetooth model says it supports wifi: 802.11B/G/N. Too bad no abgn, but at least it does N for this price.

I'll throw another vote in the ring for Roku/Plex. It's an ideal solution for home served media.

can someone tell me what the purpose of this item is? connect it to tv, use the wifi to go online and watch Netflix?
thx

dfwrealtor said:   can someone tell me what the purpose of this item is? connect it to tv, use the wifi to go online and watch Netflix?
thx

This is a loaded question, but I'll try an answer the gist of what a very simple use would be. But this question is the equivalent to "Can somebody explain what a computer is for? Is it for the internet?" because you can do a million things on a computer.

You connect it to your TV and WiFi and your TV becomes a smart TV. You install XBMC and connect to your home media and other online streaming medias. It runs Android, so you can install pretty much any app on it, including Netflix.

You can surf the internet. It has email clients. You can download games. If you get a little advanced with it, you can hook up additional storage and turn it into a DVR and record/playback TV.

You can hook up a webcam to it and use it to Skype. Pandora, Spotify, etc. You can connect to your IP security cameras (if you have them) and stream them to your TV. Million uses.

how would it compare to Roku and apple tv for windows and mac

This sounds really cool, but I've converted to powerline networking, especially for media streaming. My Roku was pretty good wireless, but a little better plugged in to a 500Mb powerline router. And my windows htpc's are much, much better this way. I usually get 150-200Mb connections on the powerline. Wireless was much lower and less reliable in my house. If you've got solid 802.11 connections, this may not be a concern but I think I'll have to wait for an ethernet port.

ziba, it sounds like this is cheaper and much more flexible than Roku. "More flexible" can be a mixed blessing

ziba said:   how would it compare to Roku and apple tv for windows and mac

Personally, the Roku seemed nice, but too web-interface-y for me. Very neat, but the software seems very small. The things I wanted to do weren't native, but had work-arounds. Like MSPaint (Roku) vs. Photoshop (Android TV), but perhaps not that drastic of a change.

The Apple TV is a very clean feeling product. A lot of it just works, but requires other Apple products to take advantage of it, or you have to buy AirParrot ($9.99) which I've found to be buggy, but nice. It also is very small/confined software that limits you to what they think the device should do. If they ever come out with a jailbreak for ATV3, it will be a much better product, which would be a very nice media center.

This is a full blown media center, and a computer pretty much. You can do so much with it. You just have to play around. I saw the USB port and thought, "Gee it's android, I wonder if I can plug my camera into it" and sure enough it worked.

SlimTim said:   This sounds really cool, but I've converted to powerline networking, especially for media streaming. My Roku was pretty good wireless, but a little better plugged in to a 500Mb powerline router. And my windows htpc's are much, much better this way. I usually get 150-200Mb connections on the powerline. Wireless was much lower and less reliable in my house. If you've got solid 802.11 connections, this may not be a concern but I think I'll have to wait for an ethernet port.

Just buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Speed-Ethernet-Network-Adapter/dp... and plug it in. I'd shop around though you can find adapters for ~$2.00.

can anyone recommend a good plug and play media center?

Can I connect a camera and use this for Skype? or other Video Conferencing/Webcam monitoring device?

can i watch hulu on it?

nahata22 said:   Can I connect a camera and use this for Skype? or other Video Conferencing/Webcam monitoring device?

Yes you can plug in a usb camera and it will work with Skype.

miserly said:   can i watch hulu on it?

Yes.

For those wanting to do Skype w/camera, you might have to do a firmware update.

To do it, you just push a paper clip into one of the holes on the back, plug it into your computer, then your PC will detect it and say "Install drivers". You install them, then install the updated firmware file. I found some tools/drivers/firmware on http://www.mk808.net/ and you want to search for finless 1.7 for the good firmware I believe. I'm still experimenting with this now.

Can anyone compare how well this runs XBMC vs a raspberry pi? I currently have a raspberry pi and I'm reasonably happy with it, but it's still a bit sluggish in the menus and has problems playing back DTS unless you set it to output pass-through and have your receiver do the decode.

Thanks OP. I'm going to give this a go with the keyboard you recommended.

Much appreciated.

peste386 said:   I'll throw another vote in the ring for Roku/Plex. It's an ideal solution for home served media.
Don't we need to keep PC running with Plex to feed to Roku?

In for 1. I think this will make the 9th media box I own.

I needed a new challenge.

Will add my experience to OPs, as I am also a big fan of these. I have WD boxes, Patriot, Zyxel, etc., and a Google TV, but my Android stick (808, not the older ones) is my favorite.

Here is why:
1) Perfect HD Streaming in-house. Using TP-Link N600 router. Furthest TV is about 30 feet laterally and 18 feet horizontally away, through multiple doors/walls. Wifi reception is comparable to my Galaxy Nexus
2) Better apps than any of the dedicated boxes, and they get updated more frequently, since it just the Android App Store.
3) Use whatever remote or keyboard you want, or root it and use Droidmote
4) Great channels for online content (1-Channel, TVLinks) that don't need an intermediary like PLayOn Server
5) Attractive indexing of downloaded/ripped tv/movie content with apps like Plex (with server) or Mizuu (network share, no server required)
6) Active dev community -- it's android and XBMC, after all

So in short, it's a great, cheap multi-media solution, AND it just happens to also be a full computer, so you can browse the web, do email, get weather reports, etc. if you really want to do that on your tv.

I bought one of these last week to use as a xbmc frontend with a mythtv backend for live tv and all. My only issue with this is that the navigation buttons, home/back/tasks, and clock stay on screen all the time. I know this is due to it is supposed to be touch based and all. So instead I will probably be going with a Raspberry Pi and the raspbmc setup. But overall I am happy with the performance of the MK808.

Skipping 257 Messages...
BennyZz said:   So what remote and/or keyboard and mouse do you guys recommend? I mean you gotta have something to work it..right?

Just using a plan old school wired mouse.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014