• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

sleek
Disclaimer

what's in the box
Disclaimer
Amazon has 25% off this wall outlet that has 1 standard wall outlet and 2 USB chargers supplying a total of 2.1A. Price is $14.98 w/ the discount. Other chargers are only 700mA, which doesn't charge iPad or other tablets well. This also fits in a standard electrical box, unlike some other USB wall chargers. The cheapest are ivory, almond, and white 15A, but black is available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O11IEY/...

Tracktor:
http://thetracktor.com/detail/B008O11IEY/

Does not come with faceplate.

The discount will be applied when item is added to your cart.

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

charger
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Check your Kill-a-watt, it might be defective or you haven't RTDM.

GWBush (Apr. 26, 2013 @ 2:43a) |

50mW power consumption when not in use. 0.0012 KWH/day. At 8 cents/KWH, this will cost you about one dollar in 30 years.... (more)

RedCelicaGT (Apr. 26, 2013 @ 2:55a) |

Got it in the mail a couple of days ago and installed it in about 10 minutes. It was a tight fit in my single electrical... (more)

RedCelicaGT (Apr. 28, 2013 @ 12:22a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Dead already? Geesh.

cyfan said:   Dead already? Geesh.

not dead.

The 25% discount is applied after the item is added to your cart.

Somewhat off-topic, but are there any GFI USB outlets? Thank you!

If you want it on GFI, the easiest thing to do is put the USB outlet on a circuit that already has a GFI outlet. I don't think there are any outlets with GFI and USB on them. That's just too much stuff to fit in a little box.

This is a hassle already, I rather get a AC USB adapter if its behind my desk, but it would be very cool to have one in the kitchen where everyone can see the innovative technology.

RedCelicaGT said:   If you want it on GFI, the easiest thing to do is put the USB outlet on a circuit that already has a GFI outlet. I don't think there are any outlets with GFI and USB on them. That's just too much stuff to fit in a little box.That will work if the new outlet is installed downline from the GFCI outlet and the circuit is wired so that the GFCI controls the downline circuit. You can protect an entire circuit by installing a GFCI circuit breaker at the panel box.

Here's a great alternative.

info411man said:   Here's a great alternative.

I thought this was a joke...

6 110v plugs + 4 USB off one wall plug...

"Six US 110V AC outlets: With a cumulative 1,875W of pure power, you can power your favorite devices such as vacuum cleaners, coffee makers, and more"

Not at the same time.. haha.

The part of the appeal of the integrated USB (the OP posted) is the simplicity and clean look.

My only personal concern with this product would be the lack of surge protection - what happens to your phone/tablet/etc when there's a spike on the line?

The product description talks about combined current of 2.1Amps. So potentially one could get only 1Amps per USB port. Also similar issue is reported by reviewers:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5630-W-Tamper-Resistant-Receptacl...

It would suck to stick this in the wall only to realize there isn't enough juice coming out.

A USB socket in the wall ? Never thought I would see the day this happened.

I've had one of these in my cart for months waiting to pull the trigger. Thanks In for 1.

http://www.newark.com/hubbell-wiring-devices/usb15x2w/usb-charge...

3 amps to USB ports
also has 2 125V outlets so you dont sacrifice one. But you also pay ~3x as much.

MoneyDrain said:   The product description talks about combined current of 2.1Amps. So potentially one could get only 1Amps per USB port. Also similar issue is reported by reviewers:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5630-W-Tamper-Resistant-Receptacl...

It would suck to stick this in the wall only to realize there isn't enough juice coming out.

One port is "high current" and has power priority over the other.

Slightly off topic but I noticed that the USB port on my TV cable box will charge my phone. Give it a shot.

Years ago I made my own USB outlets using a blank wall plate, a dremel and special USB cable brackets. That was crazy. Every time I have one of these ideas I need to just sit on it for five years or so and wait for the option to buy off the rack when the technology catches up. My custom under-cabinet lights from ten years ago could be done today for a tenth of the price...

will this charge a phone without frying it?

I bought one of these at Home Depot and regret it. I selected this model because of the "High-power port for charging tablets and other high-draw devices". Had I read more carefully, I would have noticed it refers to a single port. After installing it, I found that it can't simultaneously charge my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I don't understand why manufacturers don't design these to be capable of supporting two 2.1 Amp devices. It seems that devices requiring 2.1 Amps are going to be increasingly common in the future. I don't think there's a compatibility issue because I've never had a problem using a 2.1 Amp wall charger with USB receptacle to charge devices that came with 1 Amp chargers - maybe I've been lucky.

Do these things consume power even when you don't have anything plugged into the usb ports? This is what happens with many wall warts, thus the recommendation to use power strips and physically turn them off when you're not using them etc (vampire devices).

If the usb ports in this product are "always on" then I'd say this is simply a vampire device that you can never turn off.

Is this a valid concern or no?

wfay said:   Do these things consume power even when you don't have anything plugged into the usb ports? This is what happens with many wall warts, thus the recommendation to use power strips and physically turn them off when you're not using them etc (vampire devices).

If the usb ports in this product are "always on" then I'd say this is simply a vampire device that you can never turn off.

Might be a valid point, but I think the vampire device thing is over-hyped. I've put a kill-a-watt on my nightstand for a few weeks. I have a lamp (cfl), 2 alarm clocks, and 2 phones plugged in. The estimated cost of nightly charging, a few hours of the light on, the alarm clocks on 24/7, and never unplugging the usb chargers is something comical - like $0.50/mo for all of that. I guess if you swapped every outlet in your house for one of these, it'd add up but for charging a few devices a day I personally wouldn't worry about it.

RedCelicaGT said:   The 25% discount is applied after the item is added to your cart.

That can't be true or the OP would've said that in his original posting rather than letting 1,000 people click on his link and see the wrong price.

mistycoupon said:   A USB socket in the wall ? Never thought I would see the day this happened.

They've been talking about a "smart home" for years. Who knew it would have its own USB port?!

Great idea, permanently installed power vampire. This will cost you more than the price of admission over its entire lifespan. Invest in smart strips instead.

patofw said:   wfay said:   Do these things consume power even when you don't have anything plugged into the usb ports? This is what happens with many wall warts, thus the recommendation to use power strips and physically turn them off when you're not using them etc (vampire devices).

Might be a valid point, but I think the vampire device thing is over-hyped. I've put a kill-a-watt on my nightstand for a few weeks. I have a lamp (cfl), 2 alarm clocks, and 2 phones plugged in. The estimated cost of nightly charging, a few hours of the light on, the alarm clocks on 24/7, and never unplugging the usb chargers is something comical - like $0.50/mo for all of that. I guess if you swapped every outlet in your house for one of these, it'd add up but for charging a few devices a day I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Check your Kill-a-watt, it might be defective or you haven't RTDM.

50mW power consumption when not in use. 0.0012 KWH/day. At 8 cents/KWH, this will cost you about one dollar in 30 years.

Got it in the mail a couple of days ago and installed it in about 10 minutes. It was a tight fit in my single electrical box, but it works nice, charges my phones fine, and gets rid of the big power supplies protruding from my wall.

Also charges my $99 Hpee touchpad great.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014