Perfect for Use With Banana Plugs, Spade Tips, or Bent Pin Applications
High Strand Count Copper Clad Aluminum Conductors

LINK

Amazon
Get Up to 5.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

What is the difference between the wire that is the topic of this thread and this wire: http://www.amazon.com/AH1650SR-Feet-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire/dp/B00... ? My knowledge in the field is very limited, but they both appear to be 100ft, 16-guage, and copper clad. I've bought the RCA spool before and it worked fine. I also notice that the RCA spool has a much lower all-time low price (< $6).

Nice find OP.

bytem3 said:   What is the difference between the wire that is the topic of this thread and this wire: http://www.amazon.com/AH1650SR-Feet-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire/dp/B00... ? My knowledge in the field is very limited, but they both appear to be 100ft, 16-guage, and copper clad. I've bought the RCA spool before and it worked fine. I also notice that the RCA spool has a much lower all-time low price (< $6).They're essentially the same, although your link goes to the 50ft version. And your camel price comparison is also for the 50ft version. Using the 100ft product ID (B0029HHIDY) for the RCA spool, it has never dipped below $10.

In my opinion, I'd skip the RCA as well as OP's mediabridge spool, and get the AmazonBasics wire for $9.43 shipped:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LW0W5Y/

Its cheap because it is copper clad aluminum. Probably fine less than 30 feet on an average system. Without knowing the thickness of the copper and the resistance versus solid copper its hard to judge loss of audio quality on long runs. I'm glad I bought my cable several years ago when copper prices were low. Its sad that Chinese manufacturers are resorting to this to cut costs.

Dotbody said:   bytem3 said:   What is the difference between the wire that is the topic of this thread and this wire: http://www.amazon.com/AH1650SR-Feet-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire/dp/B00... ? My knowledge in the field is very limited, but they both appear to be 100ft, 16-guage, and copper clad. I've bought the RCA spool before and it worked fine. I also notice that the RCA spool has a much lower all-time low price (< $6).They're essentially the same, although your link goes to the 50ft version. And your camel price comparison is also for the 50ft version. Using the 100ft product ID (B0029HHIDY) for the RCA spool, it has never dipped below $10.

In my opinion, I'd skip the RCA as well as OP's mediabridge spool, and get the AmazonBasics wire for $9.43 shipped:

The mediabridge spool is 56 cents prettier.

lowpricewanted said:   Its cheap because it is copper clad aluminum. Probably fine less than 30 feet on an average system. Without knowing the thickness of the copper and the resistance versus solid copper its hard to judge loss of audio quality on long runs. I'm glad I bought my cable several years ago when copper prices were low. Its sad that Chinese manufacturers are resorting to this to cut costs.

Copper prices are currently the LOWEST they've been in quite a while. Commodities in general have dropped alot.

In for a used one.

Dotbody said:   bytem3 said:   What is the difference between the wire that is the topic of this thread and this wire: http://www.amazon.com/AH1650SR-Feet-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire/dp/B00... ? My knowledge in the field is very limited, but they both appear to be 100ft, 16-guage, and copper clad. I've bought the RCA spool before and it worked fine. I also notice that the RCA spool has a much lower all-time low price (< $6).They're essentially the same, although your link goes to the 50ft version. And your camel price comparison is also for the 50ft version. Using the 100ft product ID (B0029HHIDY) for the RCA spool, it has never dipped below $10.

I can vouch for the AmazonBasics - very easy to work with and the plastic around the copper is very soft so it comes off easily for hooking it up to speakers and amps. No need for wire strippers.

peepsiemom said:   lowpricewanted said:   Its cheap because it is copper clad aluminum. Probably fine less than 30 feet on an average system. Without knowing the thickness of the copper and the resistance versus solid copper its hard to judge loss of audio quality on long runs. I'm glad I bought my cable several years ago when copper prices were low. Its sad that Chinese manufacturers are resorting to this to cut costs.

Copper prices are currently the LOWEST they've been in quite a while. Commodities in general have dropped alot.

Yes copper was getting close to a 3 year low the other day. The last time I purchased new speaker cable was in 2005 when copper was well below $2 a pound but trending upward. If I remember right the hot deal posted here was $2.99 for a 50 foot spool of 16 gauge flat wire. I purchased at least a dozen spools and sold most of them on eBay. The same stuff sells for over $20 now.

would this suffice for rear surround speakers?

lowpricewanted said:   peepsiemom said:   lowpricewanted said:   Its cheap because it is copper clad aluminum. Probably fine less than 30 feet on an average system. Without knowing the thickness of the copper and the resistance versus solid copper its hard to judge loss of audio quality on long runs. I'm glad I bought my cable several years ago when copper prices were low. Its sad that Chinese manufacturers are resorting to this to cut costs.

Yes copper was getting close to a 3 year low the other day. The last time I purchased new speaker cable was in 2005 when copper was well below $2 a pound but trending upward. If I remember right the hot deal posted here was $2.99 for a 50 foot spool of 16 gauge flat wire. I purchased at least a dozen spools and sold most of them on eBay. The same stuff sells for over $20 now.

What's the name of the product? I'll check it out.

whoknows said:   would this suffice for rear surround speakers?Unless your rear speakers are >30' from the receiver or will be running 150 watts RMS, I'm pretty sure 16awg would suffice. I'm sure there are some online calculators that will give you a very conservative recommendation on speaker gauge based on watts, length, and ohms.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014