• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
For the first time, the full, non-beta version of the Swype keyboard (Version 1.5) is available on Google Play. It is available for a limited time at the introductory price of $0.99

Swype on Google Play

As always, there will be some discussion as to which keyboard is best (Swype, Swiftkey, and all of the others), but at the end of the day it's really a matter of personal preference. For swype-type input, I personally find Swype is superior to and more accurate than Swiftkey Flow. For typing, Swiftkey's word prediction algorithms can't be beat. But, of course, YMMV.

Swype, like Swiftkey, can be used for swyping, typing, tapping, or talking. Also, version 1.5 works for both phones and tablets.

Either way, I think Swype is a bargain at $0.99.

Member Summary

Swype
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I love swype and currently use the beta. But why the heck does it need location data?

propcgamer (Apr. 26, 2013 @ 3:22p) |

tmon (Apr. 27, 2013 @ 8:59a) |

I just tried SwiftKey Flow and it sucks. Just try to type the word "see". Also it doesn't seem to give you multiple op... (more)

magnafides (Apr. 27, 2013 @ 6:33p) |

http://www.swype.com/about/swype-faq-3/ said: If you are an existing user of the latest Swype Beta version (v1.4.9), this version of Swype Beta will expire (on par with previous releases of Swype Beta). The expiration date for Swype Beta v1.4.9 is September 14, 2013.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is there any difference in swype beta and this? my beta works great and free.

Thorin78 said:   Is there any difference in swype beta and this? my beta works great and free.

I believe (but am not quite sure) that the beta version will expire in September. As for changes from the beta, Engadget says "The 1.5 update adds a quick shortcut to Dragon Mobile Assistant for those who have it installed, expands Living Language to 20 dialects, adds two new themes and refines both Smart Touch and Smart Reselect"

Thanks for this. This version is definitely better than the one that Samsung ships with the GS3. It actually auto-spaces on browser text fields!

Thx OP -- green! Have Swype on all my Android devices except my new ASUS Transformer tablet. It has a physical keyboard dock, but it will be perfect to have Swype on it whenever I am using it just as a tablet w/o the physical keyboard.

In 4 one.. have some free Google play credit.

Love the multi-languages voice recognize typing feature! It's fast and accurate.

the best keyboard hands down is Swiftkey. The new Swiftkey Flow is like swipe but better. Its word predictions are far superior to any other mobile keyboard.

How does this compare to the keyboard on the Nexus 7?

I used to own the International Note I, now have the Note II, one thing I miss is when you hold down backspace on the orig note it would start to delete entire words, but with the Note II it just keeps backspacing a single letter at a time, anyone know what Swype for .99 would do?

Yo Ma-Ma said:   I used to own the International Note I, now have the Note II, one thing I miss is when you hold down backspace on the orig note it would start to delete entire words, but with the Note II it just keeps backspacing a single letter at a time, anyone know what Swype for .99 would do?
If you swipe the keyboard and get the wrong word, hitting backspace will delete the whole word.

cnvrtble98 said:   the best keyboard hands down is Swiftkey. The new Swiftkey Flow is like swipe but better. Its word predictions are far superior to any other mobile keyboard.

i dunno.. i think it is all personal prefs. i have both keyboards. been using SKF since beta and it came free if you had SK X, which i did from way back Amazon App of the Day. i switched back to Swype yesterday. i found it a lot more accurate. hands down SKF has better predictions. but pure swyping, for me, swype is it. SKF never gets double letters correct. i didn't know how much i missed swyping punctuation to spacebar vs SKF's hold and select punctuation.

is this better than the native swype keyboard in 4.2.2? i quite like in my nexus 4. any reason to purchase this?

Speaking of Amazon app of the day, has anyone used the FlexT9 keyboard whick also uses dragon for voice? It has always had the finger "swyping" capabilities plus predictive text suggestions like swift key. I'd used it for the longest time and preferred it over swype and swift key until Google's version. Also now using native keyboard due to its improved voice translation (that doesn't use data) but am not crazy about the keyboard so am now reconsidering options.

Hmm.. Well I just read that flexT9 actually IS swype with a face lift.. The maker Nuance put swype on flexT9 framework or something like that. That explains them both using Dragon too I guess.

Edit: I said this backwards

FlexT9 + facelift = existing Swype. Although some people still contend that T9 is/was better. I don't have Swype so i don't have an opinion on this comparison.

Love Swype. One of the many valuable features that I use daily and is missing on the iPhone.

Thanks OP!

cnvrtble98 said:   the best keyboard hands down is Swiftkey. The new Swiftkey Flow is like swipe but better. Its word predictions are far superior to any other mobile keyboard.

tmon said:    For swype-type input, I personally find Swype is superior to and more accurate than Swiftkey Flow. For typing, Swiftkey's word prediction algorithms can't be beat. But, of course, YMMV.

My experience has been similar to tmon as well.

I like SlideIt, somehow it recognizes my swipes better, but at .99, i bought swype just in case they will improve in the future

Swype has been my keyboard for years and it's wonderful. Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the difference between this and the swype app can comes installed on the galaxy sIII? TIA!

Bought it at this price last year. Swype arguably is the best keyboard app for android!

PiccChick12 said:   Sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the difference between this and the swype app can comes installed on the galaxy sIII? TIA!

as others have said, it's just a newer version. as far as i know it won't replace the existing one, but it's supposed to import your dictionaries and such, and will show up as a "swype 1.5" keyboard. one other major thing i like swype for over swiftkey flow is the copy and paste functionality is like that on a computer ("swype -> a" is select all, "swype -> x" is cut, etc.). definitely read over the tips when you first install it.

This is personal preference as mentioned above. My favorite is SwiftKey. I installed the new Swype and didn't like the small delay before it loads/shows up and also the way it prefills instead of suggesting is not how I would prefer a typing decision support system should function. Also as I have used SwiftKey for so long now, it just knows me very well and has a high rate of predictions. One last thing that I like more in SwiftKey is that I can turn on arrows to move the cursor from the keyboard. I can never touch right where I want to fix something... iOS is better at that with the little zoom popup that helps you put the cursor at the right spot.

I love swype and currently use the beta. But why the heck does it need location data?

propcgamer said:   I love swype and currently use the beta. But why the heck does it need location data?

Location data is used for Living Language support.

"This feature offers users local dialects that might only be useful in that respective country. For example, if you were in Australia, the device would sense your location and Swype would be cognizant to not correct you if you typed in “lollies” (candy), “arvo” (afternoon), or anything else. 20 dialects are currently supported, including those from Singapore, France, Australia, and the US."

I just tried SwiftKey Flow and it sucks. Just try to type the word "see". Also it doesn't seem to give you multiple options for words unless you go back and touch the word?

Then again Swype's accuracy ain't great now either. I thought it was really good when it first came out, but after one of the major upgrades awhile back it just seemed to take a nose dive.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014