• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Programming-Chipset-Weierwei-Quans...

This cable has good reviews and is reported to work with Baofeng radios, as well as having a genuine chipset, so no driver issues.

yesidonoitall said:   miqie said:   yesidonoitall said:   Surely they will work with or without a license.
Everyone can drive a car without a license, too, under your logic.

Not the same, and cb radios required a license, I knew of noone who had such.

Now you know 1
KBSR6759
You had to apply for a license and the temporary one came in the box

throwawaytion said:   If I understand things correctly, you can listen without a license. You cannot transmit without a license.

This is because spectrum is a publicly shared resource, and you have to learn to share it appropriately. For instance, you might end up accidentally holding down the 'transmit' button. But perhaps you're 10 years old and don't know why that's a bad thing - it prevents other people from transmitting. Thus, the importance of getting licensed.

If you choose to buy this just for listening purposes, it should be fine and legal. Just stay away from the transmit buttons.

In the State of Minnesota it is illegal to possess in a vehicle equipment that is able to monitor police frequencies,
unless you have a Amateur radio license and have a copy of the license in your possession.
Check your local statutes
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=299C.37
In the past I have been pulled over by police who needed this statute explained to them.

yesidonoitall said:   Surely they will work with or without a license.

You bet, and they are plenty useful for listening without ever transmitting. Plus, when the zombie apocalypse comes, the FCC guys will be out looking for brains so the license won't matter.

My understanding is the main reason these radios are so cheap and of better quality than most Chinese electronics is that China is pushing hard to take this market from Japan. I have 2 and at this price will have 2 more soon.
Guess a license will be coming along as well, maybe somebody will post a deal for a cheap license?!

Thanks, OP! In 4 1 UV 5RA and told my CERT partner, so she's going to pick one up, too.

I'll buy 2 more if I like the size of it.

I got a pair of the uv5r+, not sure when it will ship.

I'm seriously considering this radio. I just passed the technician exam today. For anyone thinking about getting a license I spent a little over a week preparing and it only cost $15.

giqcass said:   I'm seriously considering this radio. I just passed the technician exam today. For anyone thinking about getting a license I spent a little over a week preparing and it only cost $15.

Congratulations on passing the technician exam!

These Baofeng radios are great to start with because they are simple and easy to use (aside from the initial programming). So many of the much more expensive Japanese radios have too many complicated features, where each small button on the radio performs three of four functions. With my farsightedness, it has gotten to the point that the complicated small Japanese radios are not fun to use any more.

Aside from the low cost of the radio, the accessories for the Baofeng radios are cheap too. A spare battery pack for an Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu radio costs more than the Baofeng radio. My Baofeng UV 5R has performed flawlessly over the months I have owned it. If anything happened to it, I would buy another. Just buy a programming cable, which is something you would want with most small radios anyway.

A quick starters guide on this radio
Starters guide

The UV-5RA was $30.98 this morning on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NN3EZ8

Amazon had it for backorder for $31.27
Now it's back up to $39.92, which is the same price as the UV-5RE (the UV-5R Plus)
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Band-Improved-Stronger-Enhanced-Featu...

Been doing some reading on all the various models and this seems to be the best site I have found: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-FAQ.html

Bottom line seems to be the only difference between all the models is the case.

Been out of ham radio for many years (been licensed for around 50 years). Can't believe the price of this stuff vs. some of the "name brands." Gotta get me one just to listen to the local repeaters. Ham radio is pretty much a dying hobby (2m phone patch used to be the big thing when I was last active) ever since Al Gore invented the Internet and cell phones proliferated. The average ago of ham ops is probably over 50 these days and dying off like WWII vets where soon there will sadly be none. The ARRL used to be run by a bunch of old folks, can't imagine what it's like now.

Is Wayne Green & 73mag still around?

MisterEd said:   Been doing some reading on all the various models and this seems to be the best site I have found: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-FAQ.html

" Ham radio is pretty much a dying hobby "

Is Amateur Radio (Ham Radio; NOT CB Radio) A Dying Hobby ?

http://www.hamradioresources.com/blog/is-amateur-radio-ham-radio...

Jon Kreski AB9NN OP

Interesting, but certainly not from a "impartial" party and the "numbers" don't really show what's going on. Maybe it still is thriving in the deep midwest where they still have hamfests & cow tippings but here in the east it's dying. The number of clubs is pretty much gone and those that survive are averge age around mine (65). I didn't miss a Dayton Hamvention for over 25 years but each year until my last visit (2005 IIRC) it kept getting smaller and smaller and older and older and the older and older folks were still (trying to) sell the same surplus equipment they had unsuccessfully sold in the previous 15 years. Computers were big there for a while but even most of those Chinese vendors were gone. It grew rapidly when they dropped the code test for a while and allowed novices on voice but also the "cheating" people who took the test from friends grew as well (boy, do I ever have examples of that). I probably know multiple dozens of people who got their license in a less than honest way. In fact a friend of mine got "busted" by the FCC when his 7 MONTH OLD (not a typo) son got a tech license. What did the useless FCC (all 3 of them) do? Nothing. Oh, you can talk to people all over the world on the computer as well. I was a CW aficionado (40WPM CP certificate back in 1970) but found that it got very boring quickly (even on voice) exchanging weather and sig strength with people all over the world. Even on SSB. 2 meter FM & repeaters helped a lot (pre-cell phone) but even that is dying. R.I.P.

The UV-5RA is $34.39 from non Prime shipper Global Cyber Mart on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009NN3EZ8/ref=dp_olp_new...

That's $5 below all the Prime shippers.

Global Cyber Mart also has the UV-3R Plus for $30.86, which is much handier if you don't need the keypad
http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-3R-PLUS-Radio-Black/dp/B007UMQU...

I have the BaoFeng UV-5R+ ; just received it from Amazon this past Tuesday. The electronics & capabilities for the many UV-5R variants are the same ; the cosmetics differ slightly.

I passed my Technician & General Class Ham Radio Exams on May 4th ; got my license in the mail approx 2 weeks ago. I'm starting out with the BaoFeng UV-5R+. This is a great way to begin with the hobby without expending huge money ; yet you can effectively operate as a Ham.

I'm very pleased with my purchase thus far. These are great radios ; especially for the price. I'd go with the UV-5R variants versus the UV-3R.

New lower price $34.99 shipped

New Lower Price $32.99 Shipped
Look at More Buying Choices

Down to $32 Shipped to your door

32.20 to the door..thanks butcher boy

Price: $31.39 & FREE Shipping

waiting for 29.99 to order a 2nd..lol

billtmore said:   waiting for 29.99 to order a 2nd..lol

Lowest price ever

Order thru World Wide Marketing , New 1-10 of 23 offers

$15.69 + $13.21 shipping = $28.90

Not seeing it 28.90.

milkandcookies said:   Not seeing it 28.90.

It is there but you have to look for it, try

35 new from $15.69

got'em thanks, my brother has a pair, very cool

Thanks BB!! i was being flip yet here it is below 30 thanks for the heads up!

JonnyRock said:   throwawaytion said:   If I understand things correctly, you can listen without a license. You cannot transmit without a license.

This is because spectrum is a publicly shared resource, and you have to learn to share it appropriately. For instance, you might end up accidentally holding down the 'transmit' button. But perhaps you're 10 years old and don't know why that's a bad thing - it prevents other people from transmitting. Thus, the importance of getting licensed.

If you choose to buy this just for listening purposes, it should be fine and legal. Just stay away from the transmit buttons.

In the State of Minnesota it is illegal to possess in a vehicle equipment that is able to monitor police frequencies,
unless you have a Amateur radio license and have a copy of the license in your possession.
Check your local statutes
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=299C.37
In the past I have been pulled over by police who needed this statute explained to them.

I live in Minnesota and my Android cell phone is capable of receiving police calls.

Thanks Butcherboy and all who added insight. Always wanted a HAM and I am buying a trailer for camping and recreation, so this is perfect. In for one and a USB cable. Anyone know if the software upgrade/switch is compatible for Mac?

just FYI, i ordered from this vendor World Wide Marketing, shipping seems steep however i just checked the tracking # and they shipped 2 day priority, so i think that's more than fair YMMV

Butcherboy said:   billtmore said:   waiting for 29.99 to order a 2nd..lol

Lowest price ever

Order thru World Wide Marketing , New 1-10 of 23 offers

$15.69 + $13.21 shipping = $28.90

Back in stock at World Wide Marketing $15.69 + $13.21 shipping = $28.90 shipped to your door.

Great! I bought the last one a few days ago but wanted to buy a set. I'm glad it's back in stock for under $30.

mine came in yesterday, green LED burned out in in one charger but i think it is still working fine, the cheap programming cable works great with CHIRP, the driver for the cable blue screens my win7 64bit machine after i'm done using it, haven't searched for an update, the radios are great

this is the cable i got

it worked fine (win7 64bit) the driver windows selected worked fine, but after i was done using it, it would crash windows, i found an updated driver but didn't test it yet

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014