• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Saw this in this week's Office Max ad. Granted the processor is slow, so I'm sure benchmarks are at the bottom, but it is only $229.88 for a laptop (an alleged savings of $170). But for someone just going online and/or checking emails, it should be fine.

Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5229
AMD E1-1200 Accelerated Processor
4GB memory
500GB hard drive
15.6" screen
Windows 7
$229.88 (normally $399.99)

Edit: Apparently it is a discontinued model that Office Max stores are clearancing out. So YMMV.

Member Summary

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It is bottom of the barrel, but for that price one can't expect blazing speed. I would figure a casual user with a five-... (more)

anonguy (May. 02, 2013 @ 12:19p) |

RE:
It is bottom of the barrel, but for that price one can't expect blazing speed.

Is there any EINSTEINS is here where th... (more)

yesidonoitall (May. 02, 2013 @ 12:44p) |

not yet

knickdigger (May. 02, 2013 @ 2:04p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

About as low as new gets on a laptop. I don't like Toshiba's Satellite line but I'd buy it at this price.

The hard drive with Windows 7 installed is worth $100 by itself

Interesting, it is still $399 on their site.

CWBFL said:   Interesting, it is still $399 on their site.

I think it might be just in store.

anonguy said:   CWBFL said:   Interesting, it is still $399 on their site.

I think it might be just in store.
Thought you said you saw it in ad.

It is in the OfficeMax ad towards the back.

They are having huge markdowns on other laptops as well!

bargainron said:   It is in the OfficeMax ad towards the back.Page 17, which is halfway towards the back.

Can someone post the link to the ad cuz all I see are four pages. Maybe it is different in my area.

I picked up one of these awhile back (about the same price), as a loaner for my repair business. Beware: they are freakin' heavy (over 6 pounds). On the plus side, they feel really solid. You also might want to try out the touchpad before you buy, it has a weird texture.

Lets me add to cart but then says in-store only during checkout.

Most stores don't even carry this item anymore, it is only on the online ad that states in store only so it is YMMV and it isn't on the weekly paper add either.
http://officemax.shoplocal.com/officemax/Default.aspx?action=ent...

Good price if you can find one.

I went to OfficeMax this afternoon to buy this but was told they don't have it and can't order it either because there is no stock in the warehouse ... this was in Langhorne PA. Good luck!

Weird. I got a few laptops for this price with better specs back when Win8 came out and they seemed to be clearing out Win7 devices. How the worm has turned!

any coupons to sweeten deal??

Search Results:
Your search for C855D-S5229 did not return any results.

yesidonoitall said:   online

Search Results:
Your search for C855D-S5229 did not return any results.

It is a discontinued model, here's the link, but may be in some stores. Like I said, I saw it in the ad and it looked interesting. When I went to the Reno store they didn't have any. They also didn't have any of the clearanced monitors they had in their ad either. So I guess a lot of this ad is a YMMV.

Be thankful if you miss this deal. It has an AMD E series cpu which is slowwwwwwww on the respected PassMark scale. To be more specific it's rated 710 on a scale from about 10,000 to near zero where higher = faster.

DonC said:   Be thankful if you miss this deal. It has an AMD E series cpu which is slowwwwwwww on the respected PassMark scale. To be more specific it's rated 710 on a scale from about 10,000 to near zero where higher = faster.

So in the real world it is like a snail?
I doubt that.

yesidonoitall said:   DonC said:   Be thankful if you miss this deal. It has an AMD E series cpu which is slowwwwwwww on the respected PassMark scale. To be more specific it's rated 710 on a scale from about 10,000 to near zero where higher = faster.

So in the real world it is like a snail?
I doubt that.
In the real world it is noticeably SLOW. We've had dozens of members of our 1700-member computer club asking for help with their "defective" computer when they had simply bought an underpowered laptop. Most of them returned them. BTW, this is not a club of overclocking power users.

It is bottom of the barrel, but for that price one can't expect blazing speed. I would figure a casual user with a five- or six-year-old laptop wouldn't notice a negative difference if they went for this. Plus Toshiba usually does fairly well in Consumer Reports' testing. But, yes, the main attraction is the price (if you can actually find one).

RE:
It is bottom of the barrel, but for that price one can't expect blazing speed.

Is there any EINSTEINS is here where that will really matter?

yesidonoitall said:   Is there any EINSTEINS is here
not yet

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014