• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Mongoose 26'' Ledge 2.1 Men's Mountain Bike @ Walmart - $119.99
was $135.00
Free Shipping!

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Walmart
See Walmart promo codes that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Mongoose 26'' Ledge 2.1 Men's Mountain Bike
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
there is a decent bike

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1116020...

you can go to the shop to try o... (more)

WorkerAnt (May. 03, 2013 @ 1:20p) |

Both bikes I listed are single-speed, not fixed-gear. (The first one is called "fixie", and can be used as such, but it'... (more)

exppii (May. 03, 2013 @ 4:28p) |

I was just at Costco. They were having the Northrock XC6 for $380 http://www.northrockbikes.com/mountain-xc6.php Look... (more)

WorkerAnt (May. 05, 2013 @ 5:18p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is this a good bike ? I'm in the market for a decent bike for riding around the neighborhood.

Enter bike snobs...

Without being snobby... I find it funny reading the reviews how people both 5'8" and 6'4" say this bike is fine, but both comment that it's probably small for them. Really...it's small for someone 5'8" AND 6'4"? These are probably the same people I see "riding dirty" around here, with the suspension on their "full suspension" bike basically bottomed out because it's not capable of handling anyone over ~150lbs.

Realistically, go check this bike out. Stand over it, and lift it up between your legs. If it comes up any more than 3" off the ground, it's too small for you (mountain bike recommendation is 2-3"). If you're over 150lbs, you want to search elsewhere too. Unless you're dropping $400+ you should just stay away from full suspension anyway because the components simply won't hold up and won't last. Decent hard tail mountain bikes and casual bikes can be had, with aluminum frames that are reasonably lightweight and components that will last, for around $250-300 (e.g. check out nashbar.com and bikesdirect.com)

okay for lighter riding.

gen13 said:   Is this a good bike ? I'm in the market for a decent bike for riding around the neighborhood.

Best is go try it out yourself, see how YOU like it.

In my personal experience, I bought an $80 bike long time ago from Target. I knew it was a shitty bike but it held up well. It didn't brake down on me... well I did hit a nail once so it wasn't the bike's fault, patch up and keep on riding. The bike is super heavy, and lots of resistance. Give me a very good work out every time. LOL I expect this Mongoose to be the same, super heavy metal that is very durable. But don't expect to do 100 miles like the race bike, your legs will fall off first. And don't expect to do any fancy stuff like jumping curves, it's heavy weight isn't good for jumping anything. But it'll survive falls and almost anything you can throw at it.

Just last weekend I went to performance bike and got an upgrade.. $400 ouch but it seem worth it. I test drove it and it seem to ride much easier. This coming weekend I'm gonna take it riding for the first time.

Only thing I don't like about this Mongoose bike is the back suspension, the whole back end seem to rest on that one screw.

The rear suspension looks really cheaply made (from looking at it in person it looked aweful!) and the handlebar head looks extremely small like a beginners bike. These bikes were twice as much at the other store I was at and the colors weren't as attractive. Blue and chrome is very nice looking, it reminds me of a motorcycle.

Personally I would rather get a folding bike. I'm sure every snob has one.

The only thing that is good on it is the Shimano shifter, get this for your teenagers not suited for heavy adult abuse.

^ what is the different between a GOOD shifter and a BAD shifter? I never really get that. what exactly happen that makes the GOOD shifter good? I see this GOOD throw around a lot in bicycle.

There is a lot more comparison and reviews for car on parts/model/make/year... loads. But when it come to bicycle, it's all "I prefer this cause it's good". Why is it good? Have you had a bad one brake down on you while riding? Hard for me to do homework on things when it all go by ppl's opinions.

I upgrade my bike cause the old one was too heavy, it's more than 5 years old and only thing broke was the stand. The whole bike needs a lot of fine tuning/change out worn parts and clean up so I decided to upgrade.

GOOD doesn't mean anything when it's tossed around carelessly. Some people see the name Shimano and think GOOD. Shimano makes some of the best bike components in the world. Unfortunately, the GOOD Shimano derailleurs cost more than this bike. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=1...
The crap components on this bike are just pieces of crap with Shimano stamped on them. Not GOOD. Crap. Just like this bike.
And Somebody should sue WalMart for putting that mountain bike stunt video on this product page. I guarantee if you look through the paperwork that comes with this bike, you'll find a disclaimer stating that the bike is not intended for off-road use. Because it's crap.

WorkerAnt said:   ^ what is the different between a GOOD shifter and a BAD shifter?

A good shifter will changes gears more smoothly...the difference in this shifting should be noticeable between an entry level component versus a more expensive one. However, if you have never used a high end shifter, then you really wouldn't be able to tell the difference...the shifters work in conjunction with the derailleurs (front and rear) to change the gears on a bike. All three of these components should be tuned properly to provide the smoothest shifting experience.

Also, if you are a casual rider who might not shift gears very often, it also makes it less of a concern.

Can a bike person on here give me an idea if this would be a good purchase for my situation? I haven't owned a bike in almost twenty years and am looking to get one to get back into shape and spend some time with the family. The price is about right on this. I wouldn't need any advanced features and I'm not even sure how often I'll get to ride. I'm sure if I take to it I'll go all in and get a nicer one. But to start out on a budget is there a good argument against this? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions near the price point?

^ thanks for the reply.

Only smoothness? No wonder I didn't know. My whole bike vibrate so much with the trail, I wouldn't be able to tell that my shifter is not smoothly shifting. Most of the time I go from the first gear to the last gear and back. I know I'm not suppose to, but when I want more power to go up the hill I want it right away. Which is why I like the twist shifting. Not sure how I'll like my new bike with the push and click shifting. Everyone said it's "BETTER".

If you go to a decent bike shop, and spend $200-$300 on an entry level hard tail (no rear suspension,) you will be much better off. They'll sell you a bike that fits you right, which is about as important as anything. They'll also give you a free tuneup after a month or three, which you'll need with any bike you buy, because new cables stretch, and when they do, shifters and brakes don't work as well. Any you'll know the bike you bought was assembled by somebody who knows bikes, not by somebody who works at WalMart.
On the other hand, the WalMart bike is a cheap way to see if you want to get into the sport. If you're just riding around the neighborhood, it's fine, but I wouldn't take it off-road. And if you do any amount of riding, you'll have to learn how to tune it and fix it for yourself, because it will need tuning and repairs, and a lot of bike shops refuse to work on WalMart bikes, for a variety of reasons (mostly because the parts and labor will cost more than the bike.)
It's your call, but if you want to make an honest effort at getting into biking, then I'd suggest you double your budget and give yourself an honest chance of actually enjoying it.

QuadesFather said:   Can a bike person on here give me an idea if this would be a good purchase for my situation? I haven't owned a bike in almost twenty years and am looking to get one to get back into shape and spend some time with the family. The price is about right on this. I wouldn't need any advanced features and I'm not even sure how often I'll get to ride. I'm sure if I take to it I'll go all in and get a nicer one. But to start out on a budget is there a good argument against this? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions near the price point?

I've been bike shopping for over a year. This is the bottom of the barrel. The next level up from this, price jump to $350. $400 is about the average for the next level up.

For family, I think you need to save your energy to take care of your family. This bike will drain your energy. This bike should get you from point A to B back to A with lots of workout.

I would recommend that you go to a bike shop and get a used hard tail bike for the same price. It will be much easier to ride in the city. A poor full suspension setup is worse than none, lost effort in compressing and rebounding that spring that isn't going to the road.

Avoid suspension, unless you're seriously planning on riding off-road (and not just dirt roads, but actual off-road). It's the sort of feature that is typically added to cheap bikes, not because it's useful or necessary, but because it looks good on the sales floor and people don't know better. It's heavy, it's prone to failure, and it soaks up your energy.

It will be heavier and require significantly more energy to ride than a more expensive bike. This will be frustrating. Make sure you keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressure--makes a huge difference. Something like this pump is good: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1260177/

Consider a used bike off Craigslist. It'll probably need a tuneup, but honestly, so will this one.

All that said, if you want a cheap bike from WalMart, consider these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thruster-700c-Men-s-Fixie-Bike/1720677... and maybe http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-La-Jolla-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/17...

They're single speed, with no suspension. Fewer parts = fewer parts to fail, and fewer parts which need maintenance and adjustment. Plus, they're cheaper!

I actually own the first one there-- it's my beater, and it works well enough.

^ I'll go check out that pump. thanks.

Those bike you list, they are fixie bikes. Not exactly regular bikes.

Like anything involving fit, go try some bikes before you buy a bike. Bike shops love to give demos. Half an hour actually trying some bikes is worth far more than any amount of time spent here talking about them.

slickdeal45 said:   Like anything involving fit, go try some bikes before you buy a bike. Bike shops love to give demos. Half an hour actually trying some bikes is worth far more than any amount of time spent here talking about them.

And a heck of a lot more useful than trying to pedal a bike around the toy section of WalMart.

there is a decent bike

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1116020...

you can go to the shop to try out the size and weight. Only front suspension. I wouldn't recommend buying it on here to get the Cash Back. They charge over size fee that cost more than your Cash Back. You get the same price at the store.

Both bikes I listed are single-speed, not fixed-gear. (The first one is called "fixie", and can be used as such, but it's not required.) If you live in a flat area, I recommend single speed, simply because you will save a large amount of frustration trying to properly adjust poorly-made components.

I was just at Costco. They were having the Northrock XC6 for $380 http://www.northrockbikes.com/mountain-xc6.php Looks pretty decent.

I was riding my new bike yesterday for the 1st time. wow I'm out of shape. The brake was squeaking the whole time. Didn't have the tool with me so had to ride with this squeak sound the whole way. Took it back to performance bike, they didn't know it's their bike so they want to charge me $50 and I'll get it back in more than 2 weeks. Geez. They showed me the whole rack of bikes waiting for them. OMG. I took it home and do it myself, took me less than 3 minutes. NO more squeak, my wheel spin freely, and the brake works great again.

Saw a weird spanish guy on the trail. I was tired, was walking my bike. This weird Spanish guy dress in navy pants came from a neighborhood trail come strait at me. Look like he was ready to punch me when he look over my shoulder seeing my brother. Only than he change his position and walk pass me. Thought it was only in my head until my brother said that guy look like he was ready to punch me. Creepy, and it was 2pm sunny day. Wish I had a gun or some way to defense myself. Sorry but I don't like to be a sitting duck. I believe in fighting back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014