• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Was finally able to get a moderator to unlock the thread so I could add shipping information. I appreciate the epic heaps of patience and understanding that were displayed in the comments below.

This guy's 'Total Money Makeover' book put my family on the right track financially.

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/10-dollar-sale/c10ds-p0.html?et_...

If you really want to experience peace even in down times like these, try living debt free.

It isn't quick, it isn't easy or fun, but it's worth it.

If you don't wish to spend $10 on a book that can literally change your family tree, than check out his free radio show. He is very good at getting people out of those "poor me", "little man can't get ahead", "rich get richer while the poor get poorer" attitudes that automatically set you up for failure.

His advice is just common sense, but it doesn't take much looking around to see that common sense is all but extinct.

Member Summary

dave ramsey
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I don't see where this happened so I can neither confirm nor deny. Unless of course, your post is one of the "Skipping 1... (more)

hiitsmescott (May. 02, 2013 @ 3:55p) |

Nope, wasn't anything like that. I saw post that was vague and asked the OP to please put location of offer in Title (it... (more)

bugsie (May. 02, 2013 @ 4:56p) |

Ah, ok, I though you were saying I had redded you. Everybody was bombing on me this morning and the post was locked, so ... (more)

hiitsmescott (May. 02, 2013 @ 5:22p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

hiitsmescott said:   

His advice is just common sense, but it doesn't take much looking around to see that common sense is all but extinct.

Common sense should also include noticing required shipping costs (in this case...almost half of the book price).

Amazon sells the book for $14.80, so it is cheaper if you just want to buy one copy.

Trying to help people.

Spend less than you make....

The end

Send me 8 bucks....

Now if someone comes out with six minute abs.....

All of my abs are minute. I'll get back to you with a total count.

Muley said:   Spend less than you make....

The end

You nailed it. This is a guy for people who's parents didn't bother teaching this. Whether it is common sense or not the majority of people are going to do what their parents did.

This would indicate there are at least a few who didn't get the message:
1 in 4 homes underwater & more than 100 million on welfare

I pickup 10 of these books almost every time he does this $10 sale and give them to said people. I constantly hear the phrase "smack myself in the forehead" from the ones that read the book. It is super obvious, unless you've never given it a second thought.

This is a good deal for those who want multiples of the book to give away, or want some of the other books in the sale (there are some by other authors).

I wish he offered his book in two volumes, one for steps 1-3 and a second volume with steps 4+ (investments). Then you could buy just the debt and savings volume and pretend his investment "advice" didn't exist.

hiitsmescott said:    I constantly hear the phrase "smack you in the forehead" from the ones that read the book.

I fixed your typo.

satchelsofgold said:   This is a good deal for those who want multiples of the book to give away, or want some of the other books in the sale (there are some by other authors).

Yes..because the key to financial freedom is spending $10 + shipping on books and then giving them away for free.

Thanks for fixing my typo.

Giving away books isn't as big of a deal for those of us who have already achieved this goal. She wasn't suggesting giving away books while struggling yourself.

This was discussed back in 2008.

Or you can just watch this video for free.

respdoc said:   hiitsmescott said:   

Common sense should also include noticing required shipping costs (in this case...almost half of the book price).

You're indirectly implying the shipping cost is too high. In reality, they're completely reasonable costs.

hiitsmescott said:   Muley said:   Spend less than you make....

The end

You nailed it. This is a guy for people who's parents didn't bother teaching this. Whether it is common sense or not the majority of people are going to do what their parents did.

This would indicate there are at least a few who didn't get the message:
1 in 4 homes underwater & more than 100 million on welfare

I pickup 10 of these books almost every time he does this $10 sale and give them to said people. I constantly hear the phrase "smack myself in the forehead" from the ones that read the book. It is super obvious, unless you've never given it a second thought.

The problem is, a LOT of parents didn't teach this stuff. Do you think this this nation, on an individual level, is in such abysmal financial shape because people already know this knowledge? Or, perhaps the kids who were taught this grew up forgot it and they don't have anyone who will set them straight. It's hard to put a price on advice (especially when it's a mere ~$15), whether it be somewhat rudimentary or not, if it rearranges a person's life for the better. Do you disagree with this?

nitesbane said:   
You're indirectly implying the shipping cost is too high. In reality, they're completely reasonable costs.

There's nothing indirect about it. Shipping costs need to be in the title. Since you are also paying $4.95 for a $10 item...that should also be clearly noted.

Not to mention the fact it's more expensive than other places. Sorry if you feel laying out the facts is a killjoy to you.

respdoc said:   nitesbane said:   

There's nothing indirect about it. Shipping costs need to be in the title. Since you are also paying $4.95 for a $10 item...that should also be clearly noted.

Not to mention the fact it's more expensive than other places. Sorry if you feel laying out the facts is a killjoy to you.

I was not referring to the fact that shipping and handling should be in title; it should be. I was referring to how you said, "in this case...it's almost half the book price."

Sounds like to me you have something against Dave Ramsey and you're trying to thread crap tactfully.

For the record, I am not advocate for/of Dave Ramsey besides the fact that most Americans need serious financial help, and he makes himself accessible in a variety of ways so that the average person can utilize what he says, whether they've heard it or not.

nitesbane said:   
Sounds like to me you have something against Dave Ramsey and you're trying to thread crap tactfully.

I don't care if the book is from Gordon Ramsay...if you're paying half an item's cost in shipping...it needs to be noted.

Not to mention the title is not the slightest bit helpful. I don't know who Dave Ramsey is, but I guess I can get him for $10. Doesn't tell me it is a book.

6 years on here and you can't do this? "Dave Ramsey 'Total Money Makeover' Book - $14.95 shipped @ daveramsey.com - Learn about numbers!"

We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

Long gone are the days when people would politely say, "OP, please put X in the title."

He only has 78 posts. For six years, that's not much. For all we know, he visits the site once a year.

Your not free until your debt free. I've given many cases of these away & his advise works but ir's hard to sacrifice but it's all worth it when you reach that goal. Get the book at the library. But don't say it doesn't work until you try it.

flylo said:   Your not free until your debt free. I've given many cases of these away & his advise works but ir's hard to sacrifice but it's all worth it when you reach that goal. Get the book at the library. But don't say it doesn't work until you try it.

Well of course it works! That's like telling people the sky is blue (for $10 per person) because "their parents never told them that". Some people buy the hype of consumerism and debt, some don't. Smart people don't get buried in debt to begin with just because they're trying to keep up with the Jones' (or at least APPEAR to be doing so). Purchasing this book MIGHT be a good invetsment for those who "never learned" not to spend more than you earn (which certainly does take some "sacrifice"). For everyone else this is a good example of the kind of completely UNnecessary and avoidable expense Mr. Ramsey rails against (albeit a small one). Irony anyone?

nitesbane said:   VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

Long gone are the days when people would politely say, "OP, please put X in the title."

Not so! I just did that very thing this morning...and received a red from the OP on my post for the trouble. Talk about nice!

bugsie said:   nitesbane said:   VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

Not so! I just did that very thing this morning...and received a red from the OP on my post for the trouble. Talk about nice!

Well it's good that you never give red to others inappropriately, at least. <eye roll>

I think the OP got overwhelmed by a lot of negative response. Let's hope things are back in order.

bugsie said:   nitesbane said:   VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

I don't see where this happened so I can neither confirm nor deny. Unless of course, your post is one of the "Skipping 1 reply under the rating threshold of Poor" posts, but I can't imagine your post would get that if you were just being polite, right?

yoregano said:   bugsie said:   nitesbane said:   VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

Well it's good that you never give red to others inappropriately, at least. <eye roll>

Well yeah, I DON'T give red except where it's appropriate (even if you personally don't understand why you've been on the receiving end of some - you COULD just ask me on any particular thread as I've told you before).

hiitsmescott said:   bugsie said:   nitesbane said:   VBMcGB said:   We're trying to promote an atmosphere that is conducive to sharing. Belittling others does not help us to do that. Please keep our goal in mind while posting. Thank you.

I don't see where this happened so I can neither confirm nor deny. Unless of course, your post is one of the "Skipping 1 reply under the rating threshold of Poor" posts, but I can't imagine your post would get that if you were just being polite, right?

Nope, wasn't anything like that. I saw post that was vague and asked the OP to please put location of offer in Title (it was limited to particular State). Then the OP changed the Title to add location and gave me red. Nope, a polite post was definitely "redded" and you don't need to see it to know it's true but here's a link if it'll make you feel better http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1270894/. I also have NO idea what a "Skipping 1 reply under the rating threshold of Poor" post even is.

bugsie said:   Nope, wasn't anything like that. I saw post that was vague and asked the OP to please put location of offer in Title (it was limited to particular State). Then the OP changed the Title to add location and gave me red. Nope, a polite post was definitely "redded" and you don't need to see it to know it's true but here's a link if it'll make you feel better http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1270894/. I also have NO idea what a "Skipping 1 reply under the rating threshold of Poor" post even is.

Ah, ok, I though you were saying I had redded you. Everybody was bombing on me this morning and the post was locked, so I couldn't even change anything.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014