• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I know it's a Celeron, and I know it's Fry's B&M, AND it's Windows 8...so getting all the negative out of the way, it looks like a great deal for a quality brand and decent machine for many.

I'm looking for a basic notebook for my elementary-school son. Based on experience with other machines with equivalent CPU benchmarks, I think this machine would be a solid performer. Heck, it's more powerful than 2/3 of the desktops I have running in my house right now.

http://www.frys.com/product/7533006?site=frysecampaign1+date:050...

What do you think? Is $247 a good buy for this machine and processor? I'd prefer an i3, but anything worth buying is $350+ and this rig won't be used for gaming beyond web-based games, otherwise essential web browsing, office productivity, etc. I can pop Win7 on this too or leave Win8 and add ClassicShell, so I'm not concerned about Win8.

Member Summary

Lenovo G580
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Good enough for what most people do: surf web, email, write documents.
Great price, as good as I've seen.
Double check but it can be upgraded to 16GB.
It's a 22nm ivy bridge type of cpu.
i3 is clocked faster.
The website says order online and pick up at front checkout til Thursday May 9
but the print add says over on May 4????

jfshopper said:   Good enough for what most people do: surf web, email, write documents.
Great price, as good as I've seen.
Double check but it can be upgraded to 16GB.
It's a 22nm ivy bridge type of cpu.
i3 is clocked faster.
The website says order online and pick up at front checkout til Thursday May 9
but the print add says over on May 4????

I noticed the print ad limit too but looks like the deal
Is good through the 9th. I ended up buying the Toshiba B980 machine using the 100 off coupon from Staples for $280 a/r. There were a few extras of the B980 processor plus extra ram and HD space that the extra $30 made sense to me.

I bought the Lenovo G575 from Fry's back in October 2012 for around $227.

The only complaint I have is the weak hinge on the G575. Lots of posts/complaints, especially on the Lenovo forums. The bottom screws attached to the hinge falls off. Once the screw comes off, the bottom hinge moves up and down as you open/close the lid. Ultimately the case on the laptop will come apart due to the bottom hinge moving as you open/close the lid.

Not sure if they fixed the issue for the G580's.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014