• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been religiously following Tire Rack prices on performance all season tires for the last 4-5 months and noticed as of yesterday they dropped prices on several great tires across their performance categories. The deal is even hotter if you can stack it with any of the mfg rebates available here. Don't forget FC!

Here's a few really good tires you should consider buying if you're in the market. These prices are based on my tire size (235/45-17), so YMMV on sale prices. Protip: you'll know which ones are on sale if there's "Special" listed next to the price.

Summer Tires
$175/ea....Michelin Pilot Supersport 235/45ZR17 ...................... (#1 summer tire on market now)
$138/ea....Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position 235/45R17
$115/ea....Continental ExtremeContact DW 235/45ZR17 .......... (Best bang for the buck)

All Season Tires
$132/ea....Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/45ZR17 ............... (Best all-around all season on the market, very good performance in snow. IMHO this is worth the extra $$ over the General Tire ones below)
$155/ea....Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 235/45R17 ... (Compromises some snow grip for better, sportier dry/wet handling)
$102/ea....General G-MAX AS-03 235/45ZR17 .............................(Bang for buck king)
$107/ea....General Altimax HP 235/45R17 ............................. (Bang for buck queen, but go with the G-MAX over this one. I owned a set years ago)
$185/ea....Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 235/45R17 ..........+ $80 MFG MIR w/ purchase of 4
$106/ea....Kumho Ecsta 4X 235/45R17 ...................................+ $50 MFG MIR w/ purchase of 4 (not on "Special" but rebate and regularly low price makes this a hot deal)

I didn't see any snow tires in this size on "Special" but there was a closeout on the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, which are supposed to be an improvement on the popular PA3's.

Tire selection protips:

1) Keep in mind that "All-Season" is more like "Three-Season", and that a dedicated set of even mediocre winter tires will drive circles around the best all-season tire in snow and ice. Winter tires also significantly improve stopping distance in snow.
2) The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" certainly applies to all-season tires.
3) It's always best to do a lot of research and make sure you buy tires based on the weather you encounter in your part of the country. Living in Chicago, I run a set of sporty-all seasons from Aprilish-Novemberish and then switch to dedicated winter tires for the worst of winter. I personally prefer not to install summer tires since the temp can swing wildly here above and below the minimum temperature of summer tires (typically 40F, below that summer tires harden and will lose traction).
4) A lot of people see tires (and brake pads) as "consumables" and buy whatever's cheapest since "they're just going to wear out anyways". However, think about this: What is the common link between the two most important safety aspects of your car in an emergency situation (Braking & Handling)? Tires. Every performance aspect of your car relies on your tires since that's the actual contact point on the road. So why do we skimp on tires?

Tire Rack
See Tire Rack promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Finest tire here is one of the lowest price. I've bought 15-20 sets of tires on TireRack, all decent or better based upon buyer reviews. But none have matched the performance of this tire, the brand of which I have never bought before due to the Firestone 500 tire. I'm talking about the Firestone Precision Touring. Put away all notions of cost having anything to do with quality and read the profile of this make and model of tire. I paid about $79/each for 215/70 and you will not find a better tire under $200

GreenTrash said:   Finest tire here is one of the lowest price.... I paid about $79/each for 215/70 and you will not find a better tire under $200

You're definitely right, for that particular size the Precision Touring is the best performer across the all-season categories. It's hard to compare apples-to-apples though since the availability and price varies based on tire size, not to mention all the variables in performance there are to nitpick.

I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 235/45R17 tires last summer for my car, and before that I had the previous version of the same Potenzas. One of the best tires I have used. It works extremely well for 3 seasons in New England before I switch to Bridgestone Blizzaks for the snow.

Azurik said:   I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 235/45R17 tires last summer for my car, and before that I had the previous version of the same Potenzas. One of the best tires I have used. It works extremely well for 3 seasons in New England before I switch to Bridgestone Blizzaks for the snow.

Nice! I'm glad to hear they're working out. I was going back and forth between the RE970's, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and a few others for a while (long enough to see a Tire Rack price drop ) and I eventually decided to try out the PS A/S+ since the RE970 was a younger compound.

I didn't have the option to wait for the Pilot Sport A/S 3's that are supposed to come out this summer and have a lot of hype around their "groundbreaking" performance (they specifically pit it against all the top all-season tires, and it "supposedly" won by a big margin). I figure I'll be good with these for a few years, then revisit the playing field after the reviews on the PSA/S 3's pour in and see if they are as amazing as they hyped them to be.

I'm trying to think of what you may be driving if your stock size is same as mine....TL? STI? 5 series?

horspowr1001 said:   Azurik said:   I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position 235/45R17 tires last summer for my car, and before that I had the previous version of the same Potenzas. One of the best tires I have used. It works extremely well for 3 seasons in New England before I switch to Bridgestone Blizzaks for the snow.

Nice! I'm glad to hear they're working out. I was going back and forth between the RE970's, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and a few others for a while (long enough to see a Tire Rack price drop ) and I eventually decided to try out the PS A/S+ since the RE970 was a younger compound.

I didn't have the option to wait for the Pilot Sport A/S 3's that are supposed to come out this summer and have a lot of hype around their "groundbreaking" performance (they specifically pit it against all the top all-season tires, and it "supposedly" won by a big margin). I figure I'll be good with these for a few years, then revisit the playing field after the reviews on the PSA/S 3's pour in and see if they are as amazing as they hyped them to be.

I'm trying to think of what you may be driving if your stock size is same as mine....TL? STI? 5 series?

Acura, nice guess Sorry for the late response, I didn't see it until now!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014