• Text Only
Picked one of these up at WM today, set it up on Simple Mobile $40.00mo for unlimited talk, text, and data (first 250M is 4G). Everything worked fine, the phone takes a micro-sim.

OK, so from various sources this is what I have gathered (YMMV):

Confirmed to work out of the box on ptel, Simple Mobile, and T-Mobile.
Does not work out of the box with Lycamobile.

Bought two of these a week ago. I took a pair of scissors to my old SIMs and they worked great. This phone has exceeded my expectations. My wife hated the phone for exactly two days (coming off of Android). Now she wouldn't go back to one. The learning curve was much shorter on this phone than her first Android phone. The audio on this phone is loud!!! Edited to add I'm using an existing Tmobile plan.

sean2002 said:   Bought two. My teenagers LOVE it. They had iPhone 4. Now their friends want this phone too! Big screen, beautiful live tiles, x-box app., and basically indestructible (look for youtube demos and tests). We will unlock them for our upcoming oversea trip in the summer.
Some things I learnt about windows (this) phone:
1)Minimize / maximize tiles...Keep tiles pressed. Icon will have minimize button. Press minimize. Tile will change to small. When all tiles are small...scrolling is reduced.
2)How to pin and unpin an app,,,Flick main screen to left...apps page shows up. Now press app long enough. A small bar will show up which say "pin to start". This will take app to main page
3)Battery saver...
A)Settings page ... change battery saver to "ON"
B) Set brighyness of display to "Low"... display works well indoors...
C) Games / background apps...press long enough..." remove background activity"

4)To uninstall app..for uminstallable apps only ..." Press games etc that are not required ..keep pressed...uninstall popup shows.

I did the above four and I did not have to charge for past three days...intermittent gamer...

for the folks that need the phone unlocked...it is a bit pricy but try cellunlocker dot com

To view and move between background apps, press the left arrow and hold for a second or so. If you want to close a background app, be in it, then hit the left arrow until it closes.

The sales person told me that this phone has only one (1) camera on the back and not in the front. Therefore, it can not be used for chat!

The sales person told me that this phone has only one (1) camera on the back and not in the front. Therefore, it can not be used for chat!

tried online unlock but no luck yet...has anyone tried getting this beast unlocked..

So I just picked one of these up at Microsoft Store. (So far I love it and haven't even activated it yet, just played around with it and accessed some apps through wifi.) I'd like to use it with the t-mobile $30 unl. data + text / 100 minutes no-contract plan. My only concern is the 100 minutes. And I'd like to keep my current number since I've had it so long (although this isn't a deal breaker). I currently have AT&T in contract through November. Wasn't sure which of the many thread regarding this phone and this plan to post this in, but I chose this thread since the plan thread isn't linked to Windows Phone, and it seems like that is the primary barrier to good VoIP options. After reading all these threads and some other sites online, here's what I'm thinking might work the best:

Port my number to the $30 Tmobile plan. (I'd have to end my contract early $82, or try to get out of the ETF. My line is also part of a family plan, so I have to make sure I don't get someone who ends up canceling the whole plan over me arguing about that fee.)

Use Skype $2.99/mo plan for all outgoing US/Canada calls. I actually signed up for Skype and added the app this morning, but haven't added any funds. I used it from my 521 over wifi to call my cell phone number, and it went through. Showed a random 10 digit number on my phone. The sound quality and (non-existant) lag were excellent. So it seems like this will be a great option at home (or elsewhere) over wifi. There is a free caller ID option which will show your phone number to the person you are calling. I added it this morning, but it said it would take up to 24 hours. I think once I get notification that it added, I will pay the $2.99 for one month to try it out. There are no incoming calls with Skype (although you can add this for $18/qtr or $60/yr. It will not be your phone number.) It's not that important to me; I can reject incoming calls and then call back through Skype, or just tell my friends to text me to call them.

My concern with Skype is the quality/lag I might experience over data. I guess this is where I'm looking for some input on if anyone has any. I also don't think I would use over 2gb of "normal" data, but how much data will using Skype for calls eat up?

I might also consider an OBi100 with Google Voice to use at home (especially if I start working from home, which may happen in 6-12 months). In this case, I think it would be best to activate the 521 with a NEW number on the Tmobile $30 plan, port my existing number to Google Voice, then have GV forward incoming calls to my 521 #. I guess if one were to go with the $5/mo Skype number for incoming calls, you could have GV forward to that as well (or instead). How would text work in this case? Would my contacts need to keep my current number as my calling number and my new number as my text number?

It doesn't seem like there are any other good options for Windows Phone and VoIP. Does anyone have experience with Skype on Windows Phone or the 521? I'd like to figure out my game plan before 1) activating this with any number, 2) porting my number to either Tmobile/521 or GV, and 3) canceling my AT&T account.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Either way, I'll post an update once I get a notice from Skype about the caller ID and sign up for one month and try calling a few other people (will only be over wifi for now).

BingBlangBlaow said:   So I just picked one of these up at Microsoft Store. (So far I love it and haven't even activated it yet, just played around with it and accessed some apps through wifi.) I'd like to use it with the t-mobile $30 unl. data + text / 100 minutes no-contract plan. My only concern is the 100 minutes. And I'd like to keep my current number since I've had it so long (although this isn't a deal breaker). I currently have AT&T in contract through November. Wasn't sure which of the many thread regarding this phone and this plan to post this in, but I chose this thread since the plan thread isn't linked to Windows Phone, and it seems like that is the primary barrier to good VoIP options. After reading all these threads and some other sites online, here's what I'm thinking might work the best:

You can certainly port a number from AT&T to Tmobile prepaid, or from most other carriers for that matter. I can't tell you what will work best, but I can give you a suggestion that could make it a little easier and less difficult to find out. You could activate the Lumia 521 on the SIM card it came with and a new number, and try out different VOIP services using the new number, then in November when your AT&T contract is up if you have found a combination that works (this phone is slated to get Tmobile WIFI calling added very soon). The only problem with the Tmobile WIFI calling feature is that on prepaid it still uses plan minutes.

Thank you. I like the idea of activating now with a new number to test things, but won't keep AT&T until November either way (even paying the ETF is cheaper than paying the 2 plans at once). I could see keeping them both for a month or so to try it out. I'm having a hard time finding other VoIP options though. If I do activate with a new number and then cancel AT&T in a month say, can I somehow change my number on Tmo over to my current number?

Picked one up at the Microsoft store earlier today for $105 + tax = $111.56.

Sales guy already knew about the WalMart price match, brought up the page on the surface tablet and said it is fine even if it is out of stock.
Adjusted with a 'bing-it-on' reward. You have to ask for it. Although it is branded T-Mob, he said it is unlocked and showed me how to let it go to the T-Mob activation or signup screen without the SIM Card (You have to cancel 3 times before it lets you proceed). Then you go to the Settings, About (scroll down) and select reset phone to finish removing the T-Mob tie in. I am yet to cut my regular size T-Mob sim to the micro sim size and actually try calling/data features though. I might opt to transfer the account to the included T-Mob. micro SIM.

Thanks that helps.

DaRam said:   Picked one up at the Microsoft store earlier today for $105 + tax = $111.56.

Sales guy already knew about the WalMart price match, brought up the page on the surface tablet and said it is fine even if it is out of stock.
Adjusted with a 'bing-it-on' reward. You have to ask for it. Although it is branded T-Mob, he said it is unlocked and showed me how to let it go to the T-Mob activation or signup screen without the SIM Card (You have to cancel 3 times before it lets you proceed). Then you go to the Settings, About (scroll down) and select reset phone to finish removing the T-Mob tie in. I am yet to cut my regular size T-Mob sim to the micro sim size and actually try calling/data features though. I might opt to transfer the account to the included T-Mob. micro SIM.
Interesting. All indications were that you'd have to use it on T-Mobile for 2 months before they'd unlock it, but if you can unlock it right away this is a lot more intriguing to me (I was hoping to use it on something like StraightTalk). If anyone tries this, please report back.

Yuyak said:   Interesting. All indications were that you'd have to use it on T-Mobile for 2 months before they'd unlock it, but if you can unlock it right away this is a lot more intriguing to me (I was hoping to use it on something like StraightTalk). If anyone tries this, please report back.
Sorry, I only have T-Mob. SIM cards so cannot verify the unlock!

DaRam said:   Yuyak said:   Interesting. All indications were that you'd have to use it on T-Mobile for 2 months before they'd unlock it, but if you can unlock it right away this is a lot more intriguing to me (I was hoping to use it on something like StraightTalk). If anyone tries this, please report back.
Sorry, I only have T-Mob. SIM cards so cannot verify the unlock!
No worries. Thanks for reporting what you were told.

Apparently WalMart decided to never make the device available online lol

HiLine said:   Apparently WalMart decided to never make the device available online lolOOS online

nomonies said:   OK, so from various sources this is what I have gathered (YMMV):

so this will work out of the box with the $30 t mobile unlimited data 100 mins a month card?

I purchased two of these phones on the 6th and now one of them will not charge (the other is still unopened). A word of caution to those buying these from Wally World as I just found out that their return policy is 15 days on pre-paid phones. The store manager has said they will work with me on it, but I may just end up having to send the phone to Nokia for service because given Wal-Mart's track record with me, I doubt that they will step outside official policy.

I am hopeful that this may have just been a bad phone or that it could have been part of a bad batch because when it worked, the phone was pretty nice for the price!

Yuyak said:   DaRam said:   Although it is branded T-Mob, he said it is unlocked and showed me how to let it go to the T-Mob activation or signup screen without the SIM Card (You have to cancel 3 times before it lets you proceed). Then you go to the Settings, About (scroll down) and select reset phone to finish removing the T-Mob tie in. I am yet to cut my regular size T-Mob sim to the micro sim size and actually try calling/data features though. I might opt to transfer the account to the included T-Mob. micro SIM. Interesting. All indications were that you'd have to use it on T-Mobile for 2 months before they'd unlock it, but if you can unlock it right away this is a lot more intriguing to me (I was hoping to use it on something like StraightTalk). If anyone tries this, please report back.A bit of confusion here -- the device is locked to T-Mobile and requires an unlock code from them to use on carriers that do not use the T-Mobile network. Hitting cancel when the phone says there is no SIM card installed will allow the phone to continue to be activated but does not unlock the phone. When a non T-Mobile network SIM is inserted, an unlock pin code is requested. Hitting cancel will allow to phone to finishing booting without network access...

i got one yesterday in monaca, pa....showed limited stock and was empty on the shelf...dope employee had to scan and then find it elsewhere...i dont know anything about phones but it seems okay

Back in stock for On-line orders ... Get ‘em while the gettin’s good!

Also, it appears that stores are re-stocking.

They're getting ready for Memorial Day weekend shopping!

Most stores around my area are still showing out of stock though. The rest have limited availability.

My guess is that the device will be out of stock online by the end of the day...

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   Back in stock for On-line orders ... Get ‘em while the gettin’s good!

Also, it appears that stores are re-stocking.

In for one online

I got three of these for my gf and parents. They love it so far.
I want the new 928 but I won't pay retail price
If I renew my contract then I lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan with Verizon

+sold out again , super fast

HiLine said:   My guess is that the device will be out of stock online by the end of the day... Or the end of the 2 o'clock (EDT) hour.

The phone is back in stock at HSN.com. I picked one up there a couple of weeks ago. This phone is very impressive for the price

Just got 2 online at WalMart

OOS

Got the phone a few days ago from MSN. Over all, it is pretty good for the price.

It is the Nokia map that impressed me most: world-wide free map in most major languages! I paid $120 for EU Garmin map less than a year ago for map only (sd card). How can Garmin survive this competitor?

Have not tested the live traffic feature yet, though. Google map on my Android phone got amazingly accurate live traffic recently (6 months).

By the way, I am using GoSmart $35 ($38 with 7% tax) per month, unlimited talk, unlimited 2G data. Signal is very good --- better than Verizon in my area. Pretty happy.

tanner12oz said:   nomonies said:   OK, so from various sources this is what I have gathered (YMMV):

so this will work out of the box with the $30 t mobile unlimited data 100 mins a month card?

Yes. I used it just fine on that exact plan. Just put your SIM in and go. I returned the phone though.

Bought mine at HSN.com. I thought the phone came unlocked so I can use it overseas but turns out it isnt. I contacted tmobile and here is what they come back with. My phone is going back to osn.

"Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. We have received your SIM Unlock Request. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. The account must meet the following criteria:

1. 60 days of active usage on device
2. Must have $50.01 or more in accumulative refills since activation.

Please submit a new SIM Unlock Request once the subscriber has met the Eligibility criteria.

Thank You,

Sim Unlock Department
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

i put mine up on eBay...couldnt get coverage in my area after trying for 3 days...WalMart wouldnt take it back because i took it to the tmobile store and had the sim car swapped to try to get a signal....f WalMart and f mobile....phone seemed nice though too bad it wouldnt get a signal where i live

The Nokia map/GPS is fantastic. Love the ability to make a call via speech recognition like "call John Smith's home or John Smith's mobile". The built-in still camera/movie takes decent indoor low-light photos (there are several custom modes...close-up, night, sport, back-light). Windows phone 8 also comes with a basic office suite for editing and viewing office documents.

Note that the volume setting is global for speaker, alarm, and headphone. Would be better if one can independently set the volume for each mode. I would also recommend the use of a screen protector because the screen is not as scratch resistant as Gorilla glass.

back in stock on WalMart.com. rush if you want one.

E4300 said:    I would also recommend the use of a screen protector because the screen is not as scratch resistant as Gorilla glass.
Nokia 710 has Gorilla glass. This seems to be a downgrade. My Nokia 710 is made in Korea. Is the 521 also made in Korea?

View said:   E4300 said:    I would also recommend the use of a screen protector because the screen is not as scratch resistant as Gorilla glass.
Nokia 710 has Gorilla glass. This seems to be a downgrade. My Nokia 710 is made in Korea. Is the 521 also made in Korea?

Gorilla glass is not made in Korea.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014