• Text Only
Made in China. A $1 plastic screen protector works well to protect the glass screen.

charliwg said:   back in stock on WalMart.com. rush if you want one.

Pics or it didn't happen.

In stock now.

huntingduck said:   In stock now.

Stop lying to people.

Is this the first time in human history that WalMart is out of stock for one product for this long?

HiLine said:   Is this the first time in human history that WalMart is out of stock for one product for this long?
It's available in 6 stores in my local area.

View said:   HiLine said:   Is this the first time in human history that WalMart is out of stock for one product for this long?

Let me guess:

Those 6 stores all show limited stock.
They have been mostly out of stock for the last month.

HiLine said:   View said:   HiLine said:   Is this the first time in human history that WalMart is out of stock for one product for this long?

Let me guess:

Those 6 stores all show limited stock.
They have been mostly out of stock for the last month.

1 of them showing in stock with the other ones having limited stock.

The store by me in Addison Illinois had 6 of them the other day when when I bought mine, saw them with my own two eyes. Several stores had some in my area. Now they are all listed as limited stock though.

Well I was there and I saw what you did.
gindias said:   I...saw them with my own two eyes.So you can wipe off that (avatar's) grin; I know where you've been.Addison IllinoisIt's all been a pack of lies.
nintendonly said:   huntingduck said:   In stock now.Stop lying to people.

Hi, back in stock here in Westminister, California. Item is not on display on the shelves and they keep it behind the counter.

Can't wait until the unlock code is widely available to 3rd party.

Is this phone that good????

It's a fantastic device if you need a quality phone with great GPS. The IE10 browser works well along with music, video, email, texting/messenger, and camera (very good picture in low light...but no flash), although screen resolution is limited to 800 x 480. Office is also included along with Skydrive backup/upload. Battery life is 1.3 day under heavy use, or 3 days with moderate use. I received my unlock code within 1/2 day since I'm current in contract with T Mobile till next year. It takes about 2.3 hours to fully charge the battery. The glass screen is not made out of Gorilla glass 3 and the buttons lack a high quality feel, although they do provide a nice "click" for feedback.

Note that there is no front facing camera for IM. There is an internal microSD slot capable of supporting 64GB of storage. The built-in 8GB of memory has about 4.6GB of free space.

lilstabber said:   Is this phone that good????
They cut a lot of corners to reduce costs but where can you get a name brand smart phone packed with all the features for $129 with no contract?
The most comparable Android phone would be LG Optimus L9($180) which has 1.8GB usable internal storage while 521 has 5GB.
Actually Nokia 520 is being sold at about $180 in other countries...

Pros of 521: Price(#1), Battery life, Free offline GPS, Built-in Usable space, support 64GB SD vs 32GB, MS Office(not sure how useful with the size of screen)

Pros of L9 : Android eco-system(apps), 4.5 display, Gorilla Glass, RAM(1GB vs 512MB), has a front camera vs none, has camera flash vs none.

Obviously many fellow FWers opted for the lower priced one... IMO not a bad phone for the price. But I could not tolerate the limitations myself.

Virtually all of the top IOS and Android apps are also available with WP8. I only downloaded quick timer and shrink storage apps. The 521's screen has been scratch-free after two weeks of use. It is now protected by a screen protector. WP8 OS is not as demanding as Android 4.x with respect to CPU and RAM. I find the 521 as snappy as the most expensive Adroid 4.x quad core smart phone with light to moderate multi-tasking.

I'm a desktop power user but haven't experience any major limitation with the 521 phone. The footprint fits well in my pockets.

E4300 said:   Virtually all of the top IOS and Android apps are also available with WP8. I only downloaded quick timer and shrink storage apps. The 521's screen has been scratch-free after two weeks of use. It is now protected by a screen protector. WP8 OS is not as demanding as Android 4.x with respect to CPU and RAM. I find the 521 as snappy as the most expensive Adroid 4.x quad core smart phone with light to moderate multi-tasking.

I'm a desktop power user but haven't experience any major limitation with the 521 phone. The footprint fits well in my pockets.

I am a gamer and playing games on long flights and boring nights away from home is important to me.
The selections of quality games: iOS > Android >> Windows Phone.
Actually majority of mobile app revenue come from games:

http://www.canalys.com/newsroom/top-25-us-developers-account-hal...

"Of the top 25 grossing developers, all bar one (popular music service Pandora with its Pandora Radio app) are game developers. "

Additionally, I am able to do work on my Android phone using Citrix receiver, which is not available on WP.
Adobe flash is also not there.

Now this is less of an issue as I have a Nexus 7. But still having those on a phone is convenient.

I also hate screen protectors as most of them make the screen looks really ugly, installation process is a pain and have to be replaced periodically.
Actually as I mentioned before even Nokia Lumia 710 had Gorilla glass. We have 710 at home and liked the offline GPS.
However other than that WP is still very limited and WP phones tend to have smaller display...
All in all WP is not bad and is actually quite smooth. But the lack of apps is the #1 issue.
If Microsoft wants to compete they got to give more free money to developers to create/port more quality apps.

While it is true that gamers will benefit from the latest CPU in a high-end Android phone, many smart phone users don't play CPU intensive games. Additionally, gaming will quicky drain the battery. Requiring frequent recharge. The cost of replacing a high-end battery is easily $50 per year if you are a heavy user. The 521's OEM battery can be purchased for about $6.

Flash is more of a nuisance in may webpages, so I disabled flash as the default mode in my desktop browser. I doubt that most people will use more than 40% of the capability of the Nokia 521 phone.
With proper application, one would not be able to identify the screen protector at a normal viewing distance of 18 inches. A screen protector is usually added due to personal preference. Virtually all modern touch screens are very scratch resistant.

agreed. I returned mine, just because i didn't want to pay Tmo, $50 bucks and wait 60 days. I'll buy the unit when the 3rd party has a code for this on eBay, and by then we will also know really how good the phone from the user community.

How good the phone is has been talked over all around the internet. Look for reviews at WalMart.com, HSN.com. tmobile.com to see user feedback, an google 'Lumia 521 review' for professional as well as amateur reviews.

Nobody buys a $150 cell phone to play games on. If you're hoping to have a smooth gaming experience on a sub-$200 Android device, you must be living in a dream.

So far the only major complaint about the Lumia 521/520 is its availability. No other phone in the market has ever been so consistently out of stock everywhere, worldwide.

HiLine said:   How good the phone is has been talked over all around the internet. Look for reviews at WalMart.com, HSN.com. tmobile.com to see user feedback, an google 'Lumia 521 review' for professional as well as amateur reviews.

Nobody buys a $150 cell phone to play games on. If you're hoping to have a smooth gaming experience on a sub-$200 Android device, you must be living in a dream.

So far the only major complaint about the Lumia 521/520 is its availability. No other phone in the market has ever been so consistently out of stock everywhere, worldwide.

For the price it's definitely a steal especially they are selling it 33% cheaper in the US than in other countries. I got the Nokia 710 for free with a $34 plan including data....In my opinion the overall value is similar but the price is much lower with the 521. The reviews are very fair and most of them noted that low price/features ratio makes the phone a very attractive buy. The reviews also noted though you have to bear with the relatively lack of apps, which, may not be an issue to many if they use it mainly as a phone with some extra capabilities. I like Nokia actually more than Samsung and other big vendors and Nokia has been very good with software updates and continue to add free new features through Nokia specific apps. I'm not so sure about T-Mobile though. The 521 would have more value once its unlocked. T-Mobile is one of the probably only 3 carriers worldwide that refused to release Windows 7.8 update. I had to hack my phone to take care of it...

Lumia 521 at walmart
Disclaimer
Online availability alert! May not last long ...

Edited: OOS again, never mind.

Lumia 521 at walmart
Disclaimer
Available online again!

I managed to get three of these (one from HSN @ $150, one from T-Mobile @ $150, and one from WalMart @ $130) and keeping the price in mind, it's a really nice phone. I have an iPhone 5 (and had a Note II) but I really like the Lumia 521. You can't go wrong at this price. This is definitely not for those who like to download three news apps, three banking apps, three racing games, three photo apps etc. Talk, text, email, and the basic apps are all there though and work very well.

Back in stock...just ordered one for local store pickup..thanks o.p....5% CashBack thru ShopDiscover too helps offset tax in NY

Lumia 521 online at Walmart
Disclaimer
Available again, hopefully for good this time.

I picked one up at my local WalMart. Interestingly enough, it's been listed as 'limited stock' for a while, but they always said they don't have it in stock and the online designation of 'limited stock' doesn't mean much.

n/m

Around here (chicago area), stores are selling this at $250, refusing to PM their own website.

Gpz1100 said:   Around here (chicago area), stores are selling this at $250, refusing to PM their own website.Weird, the web shows $149 as the in store price as well and it's $149 if you walk into a T-MO or MS store (less if you take the Bing challenge) or get it at Amazon for $129 (w/ FS).

Wow.. Looks like Amazon dropped the price on this today. Was $149.99 and OOS. Still is OOS, but $130.

I ended up buying from the MS store as this was going to be a gift for an older relative. After much headache, looks like the phone is going back though. The hardware seems decent and UI snappy. However, basic functionality is lacking (typical microsoft).

No easy way to toggle between ringer, ringer+vibrate, vibrate, and silent. You either have to go to settings/sounds, or hold the vol button down/up. On android there's an app/widget available that easily lets you toggle between the 4 states. Even the old flip phones had different profiles you could quickly switch between. From googling this, it appears it's by design. They let you toggle between ringer+vibrate or vibrate, or ringer or silent (depending on the setting in settings/sound), but not all of them. Haven't been able to find a windows app that does this either.

Looks like its in stock at Amazon for $129.88

Usually ships within 1 - 3 weeks.

Free Two-day Shipping

So you can order it, but it just won't ship for awhile....

Gpz1100 said:   Wow.. Looks like Amazon dropped the price on this today. Was $149.99 and OOS. Still is OOS, but $130.

I ended up buying from the MS store as this was going to be a gift for an older relative. After much headache, looks like the phone is going back though. The hardware seems decent and UI snappy. However, basic functionality is lacking (typical microsoft).

No easy way to toggle between ringer, ringer+vibrate, vibrate, and silent. You either have to go to settings/sounds, or hold the vol button down/up. On android there's an app/widget available that easily lets you toggle between the 4 states. Even the old flip phones had different profiles you could quickly switch between. From googling this, it appears it's by design. They let you toggle between ringer+vibrate or vibrate, or ringer or silent (depending on the setting in settings/sound), but not all of them. Haven't been able to find a windows app that does this either.
?? That is reason to return a phone? You are high maintenance (or your older relative is)

Jaimelobo, older people are set in their ways. You'll realize this one day too

I would never hear the end of it. While each UI does have some learning curve to it, I do agree this seems like a step backwards. From what I've read, even windows phone 6.5 had this feature. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I rarely use vibrate myself. Then again, after using android the last 3 years, I would never again consider such a closed OS either.

Gpz1100 said:   Jaimelobo, older people are set in their ways. You'll realize this one day too

I would never hear the end of it. While each UI does have some learning curve to it, I do agree this seems like a step backwards. From what I've read, even windows phone 6.5 had this feature. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I rarely use vibrate myself. Then again, after using android the last 3 years, I would never again consider such a closed OS either.

What will you be getting instead of the Lumia 521? I've been looking at the low end and the Androids just don't have very good specs. That and I have a hard time getting older relatives to remember to restart their smartphones every now and then. I find that's more important on Android to keep things running smoothly.

^^She's currently using an older samsung galaxy s 4g. I think this is one of the original galaxy's. It's GB based and works ok. Main problem is battery life. She doesn't text or use data (other than the few bits of data used by the weather widget). The battery was replaced a few months ago with an Anker brand - got fairly good reviews on Amazon. Still, there is high battery consumption. I've tweaked/optimized it best I could. Everything unneeded has been disabled. Was hoping to get at least 2-3 days between charges with that type of usage.

When this one dies, will probably look at a used ICS capable device. Seems after ICS and above, general os stability improved alot. We're trying to stay in the $200 and under bracket, so we'll see what's available at that time.

Gpz1100 said:   ^^She's currently using an older samsung galaxy s 4g. I think this is one of the original galaxy's. It's GB based and works ok. Main problem is battery life. She doesn't text or use data (other than the few bits of data used by the weather widget). The battery was replaced a few months ago with an Anker brand - got fairly good reviews on Amazon. Still, there is high battery consumption. I've tweaked/optimized it best I could. Everything unneeded has been disabled. Was hoping to get at least 2-3 days between charges with that type of usage.

When this one dies, will probably look at a used ICS capable device. Seems after ICS and above, general os stability improved alot. We're trying to stay in the $200 and under bracket, so we'll see what's available at that time.

Only the most recent Androids with high capacity batteries will go a few days between charges, if that. My Note II (sold it recently) and S4 are able to go 2 days with my heavier usage - which is very impressive, because all previous phones could only go 1 day. My iPhone 5 will last two days if I try to minimize usage.

I did pick up a new S II for $200 and looking at the box with the software version listed, it's already on JB which is a nice surprise. I am debating what phone should go to which person. I need 2-3 lower end phones. I've used pretty much everything (it's a hobby of mine) but it's hard with people who haven't used a smartphone. Android is prettier but there's a lot of options that can get confusing. Windows is streamlined but there's not many apps. iOS is easy to use and stable but carries an Apple premium price tag.

I have this with T_Mobile and faced a 48-hour outage in 3 states I was traveling this week. This sucks, T-Mobile ! Just when I had faith in you and was arguiing how much better it is than AT&T, this happens. Customer Support is non-existent for reporting stuff this, you cannot even email them. Horrible.

Nostradamus said:   I have this with T_Mobile and faced a 48-hour outage in 3 states I was traveling this week. This sucks, T-Mobile ! Just when I had faith in you and was arguiing how much better it is than AT&T, this happens. Customer Support is non-existent for reporting stuff this, you cannot even email them. Horrible.

Outage or.. no coverage? T-Mobile does not cover rural areas well. And you should definitely check their coverage maps ahead of time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014