• Text Only
coolbreeze said:   If you live in East Brunswick, NJ, chances are your WalMart has been cleaned out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Nokia-Lumia-521-4-Windows-T-Mo...

Lol. The bottom feeders come out of the woodwork fast!

What a waste, they try and turn a profit on eBay, really.....eBay the land of fees. I guess they want to break even in the end.

Lumia 928 being announced on 5/14 for Verizon. Can't wait to upgrade from my iPhone 4s.

jonesjeremya said:   coolbreeze said:   If you live in East Brunswick, NJ, chances are your WalMart has been cleaned out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Nokia-Lumia-521-4-Windows-T-Mo...

Lol. The bottom feeders come out of the woodwork fast!

What a waste, they try and turn a profit on eBay, really.....eBay the land of fees. I guess they want to break even in the end.

I'm certain their math was: Hmm, $129 * 5 = $684 (assuming a 6% tax). $199 * 5 = A THOUSAND DOLLARES!

(oops, forgot fees and shipping lol)

Idiot. At best they are getting a hamburger out of all that work. Nice.

Those of who are thinking of unlocking and using it :
Here is Tmobile Unlocking info

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Hope this helps.

redearth said:   Those of who are thinking of unlocking and using it :
Here is Tmobile Unlocking info

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Hope this helps.

Calling now. Curious to see if my Straight Talk ATT SIM will get HSPA+ data...I meet all the requirements and am struggling with some guy from India right now. My first words "I am calling to unlock my phone." He just asked me what message appeared on my phone. Ho boy...this oughtta be fun!

coolbreeze said:   richard9 said:   Please let me know does this phone have WI-Fi capabilities. Also, do you have to have a data plan.

Thanks.

Has wifi (and "internet sharing" too) and bluetooth. I have the $30 plan which has unlimited (4G up to 5gigs) data. The screen is ok, definitely cheap. It's plastic, so no glass here. OS is very fast (no surprise there). Quite the bargain at @129 dollars!

This thing is really nice actually!

I have one in my hands right now, I like it but as far as Bluetooth goes there is no hid profile so no keyboard, but headphones seem to work ok.

I live in east Brunswick and would have wanted to try it out, can't go wrong at this price but I guess no point of driving to WalMart now, maybe they will have new shipment in a week or two.

Where do you see $30 unlimited plan in T-Mobile? I don't see it.

Is this a phone I can buy as a present for my niece to use in Europe (quad-band and easy or cheap to unlock)?

I have one in hand now too. Got two from a local Wally World (they had 3 available). Unfortunately the camera has no flash at all, so I'm not sure that I'm going to keep both devices. Overall, I like the feel of it and it definitely runs Windows Phone well -at least as good as my Lumia 810. It's slightly smaller than the 810, but actually feels nicer in the hand. It's a really nice device and if you can live with the limitations, an excellent buy.

PS: There is *NO* front facing camera. Despite what the Wal-Mart site says, there isn't one.

usuiisu said:   Where do you see $30 unlimited plan in T-Mobile? I don't see it.

They try to downplay it by making it difficult to find so you'll go for the more expensive plans.

Here (lower left)

Looks like an interesting phone. I'm rooting for Windows Mobile and Nokia. I hope it is a success. I did like Windows Mobile 8, and maybe in the future if more of the apps I need are available, I'll consider a Windows phone.

LongDongSilver said:   usuiisu said:   Where do you see $30 unlimited plan in T-Mobile? I don't see it.

They try to downplay it by making it difficult to find so you'll go for the more expensive plans.

Here (lower left)
Where to buy it? How to pay for it? How to change from existing plan? How to make voice calls? Thanks!

aarzi said:   LongDongSilver said:   usuiisu said:   Where do you see $30 unlimited plan in T-Mobile? I don't see it.

Here (lower left)
Where to buy it? How to pay for it? How to change from existing plan? How to make voice calls? Thanks!

Deal

That works only with a new phone. How about an existing phone with a $50 UL plan? I'd like to convert to this $30 plan with wifi calling. Any recommendations on voice apps? Thanks!

aarzi said:   That works only with a new phone. How about an existing phone with a $50 UL plan? I'd like to convert to this $30 plan with wifi calling. Any recommendations on voice apps? Thanks!

No WiFi calling on windows 8 devices from T-Mobile, it might change but then again it might not.

So glad i didnt get the 620 like i started to. This is this is a crazy price. I'll gladly wait for it to come back.

But the signal has been amazing. My wife galaxy s show dead spots in the house but on my htc 1x its 3 or 4 bars in those same spots. Dont know if its the phone or the signal though.

chuanren20 said:   Based on others' experience so far, locked phones(even T-Mobile phones) won't work on Lycamobile even though it uses T-Mobile's network(as ROAMING only).

o glad i didnt get the 620 like i started to. This is this is a crazy price.

Endgadget review said that 521 use a cheaper, lower quality display than the one in 620. The battery life is shorter because of this.

How does the display look like? Do you see wash-out color? Still waiting for my order from HSN on 4/26.

coolbreeze said:   richard9 said:   Please let me know does this phone have WI-Fi capabilities. Also, do you have to have a data plan.

Thanks.

Has wifi (and "internet sharing" too) and bluetooth. I have the $30 plan which has unlimited (4G up to 5gigs) data. The screen is ok, definitely cheap. It's plastic, so no glass here. OS is very fast (no surprise there). Quite the bargain at @129 dollars!

This thing is really nice actually!

which provider do you have for you $30 plan? Thanks.

is this gsm?

All stores in NH out of stock. All stores in MA I checked have limited stocks.

This must relate to WM's inventory updating process....

sandyman said:   aarzi said:   That works only with a new phone. How about an existing phone with a $50 UL plan? I'd like to convert to this $30 plan with wifi calling. Any recommendations on voice apps? Thanks!

No WiFi calling on windows 8 devices from T-Mobile, it might change but then again it might not.

Sorry, but where did you see that?

is this phone unlocked..? will at&t charge me for using the phone on my acct.

sandyman said:   No WiFi calling on windows 8 devices from T-Mobile, it might change but then again it might not.

Actually, Wi-Fi calling is possible on T-Mobile's Windows Phone 8 devices. It is working right now on my HTC 8X. You've got to use the right type of SIM card and the phone requires the Movial IMS software which is delivered inside of device firmware updates. So I'm not sure exactly which phones have the required software, but the 8X does.

I think you mean T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling feature (called "T-Mobile HotSpot" when shown on billing details) that uses your normal phone number, supports SMS, doesn't use your minutes (for calls placed within US to US numbers), etc. Windows Phone also has other types of VOIP such as Skype.

Does windows 8 phones have similar apps as Android phones? If It has Kakao app, I may consider windows 8. If not, I am not buying until there are enough apps to compete with iPhone and android phones.

SUB said:   sandyman said:   aarzi said:   That works only with a new phone. How about an existing phone with a $50 UL plan? I'd like to convert to this $30 plan with wifi calling. Any recommendations on voice apps? Thanks!

Sorry, but where did you see that?

no need to be sorry. I have a 521, i've gone through all of the menus and it is just not there ( it is on the L9 and works pretty well). Also there are lots of forums talking about this with higher handsets. some claim that it is a MS issue, others say it is a T-Mobile issue. If it is the former its not likely to ever get resolved, if its the latter they will likely claim that its the former.

The one saving grace is that there are some reports of wifi calling being enabled on HTC WM8 devices. My answer may not be authorative but its based on my own research into the matter because wifi calling would be good. If you find out differently ( and I dont mean use Skype) I would love to hear it and would be pleasantly surprised.

there is a good site for people requesting new things to be implemented for WM8 ( I hope I dont get chastised for posting this link)

wm8

Yes, it has similar apps. Check the store for yourself:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

Looks like KakaoTalk is there.

sneakymoose said:   sandyman said:   No WiFi calling on windows 8 devices from T-Mobile, it might change but then again it might not.

Actually, Wi-Fi calling is possible on T-Mobile's Windows Phone 8 devices. It is working right now on my HTC 8X. You've got to use the right type of SIM card and the phone requires the Movial IMS software which is delivered inside of device firmware updates. So I'm not sure exactly which phones have the required software, but the 8X does.

I think you mean T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling feature (called "T-Mobile HotSpot" when shown on billing details) that uses your normal phone number, supports SMS, doesn't use your minutes (for calls placed within US to US numbers), etc. Windows Phone also has other types of VOIP such as Skype.

I'm talking about the plan that uses your minutes and is thus not free that you can use when you don't have a good signal or if you are roaming internationally. Plus i'm cheap so I am on pay as you go as opposed to the monthly plan which may be the difference.

I looked at the HTC 8X, it seems nice but its way more expensive. It doesn't, per chance, have the HID profile in the BT stack does it ?

I'm on the post-paid value plan. It's actually a little cheaper than pre-paid for me due to a 15% corporate discount. Since May 2011, the value (and classic) plan's Wi-Fi Calling does not count against your allotted monthly minutes unless you are outside of the U.S. or you are dialing/receiving calls from non-U.S. phone numbers.

I doubt the 8X supports Bluetooth HID profile, but I've never looked into it.

I ended up getting one from HSN but after using it a few days I am gonna stick with my android phone. If anyone wasn't able to pick one up at WalMart I'd sell mine for 130 shipped. Just pm me

daweeze002 said:   I ended up getting one from HSN but after using it a few days I am gonna stick with my android phone. If anyone wasn't able to pick one up at WalMart I'd sell mine for 130 shipped. Just pm me
Seems negatives have started!
Me email that HSN sent on 26th. When I open it, the tracking has vanished etc etc and ne infor generated on the previous email. That means can a past email be further manipulated (is this happening thought apsx...i do not know) but good thing is HSN has now initiated the shipping. Horribly though shipping is through UPS Surepost...one with horrible reviews...

sneakymoose said:   I'm on the post-paid value plan. It's actually a little cheaper than pre-paid for me due to a 15% corporate discount. Since May 2011, the value (and classic) plan's Wi-Fi Calling does not count against your allotted monthly minutes unless you are outside of the U.S. or you are dialing/receiving calls from non-U.S. phone numbers.

I doubt the 8X supports Bluetooth HID profile, but I've never looked into it.

I too am on the value plan using my corporate discount and have 4 phones with data for just about $100. Very nice considering Sprint, who I had been with for 10+ years and had a 25% corporate discount with, planned to charge me more than double that for the same number of phones!

StinkPot said:   daweeze002 said:   I ended up getting one from HSN but after using it a few days I am gonna stick with my android phone. If anyone wasn't able to pick one up at WalMart I'd sell mine for 130 shipped. Just pm me
Me email that HSN sent on 26th. When I open it, the tracking has vanished etc etc and ne infor generated on the previous email. That means can a past email be further manipulated (is this happening thought apsx...i do not know) but good thing is HSN has now initiated the shipping. Horribly though shipping is through UPS Surepost...one with horrible reviews...

I'm not sure that's a negative. its not a high end phone, its the cheapest WM8 phone out there of course they are going to have to cut some corners.
Some people used to android might not want to be willing to switch, I have lots of different devices and this is the first Wm8 device I've used. It does take a little getting used to and I wont deny I'd like it to be more android like from time to time but that's the way it goes. some people might also be highly invested in the google ecosystem. Engadget reviewed it ( or the related 520) and was not super enthusiastic but if you comapre this phone against phones that are 2-3 times the cost its no surprise its going to come out on the bottom.

I was lucky in that I think my HSN phone was in one of the first batches that shipped, I've been keeping up with what has happened since and your right it does not engender much confidence to order stuff from them in the future.

sneakymoose said:   Yes, it has similar apps. Check the store for yourself:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

Looks like KakaoTalk is there.

Thanks...I read reviews and seems like many people are complaining that this app is crashing on Windows phones. So hoepfully, developers get it working. It works great on my Note 2 phone.

I've been using Windows Phone and previously Windows Mobile for about the past 8 years. Windows Phone 8 is pretty awesome for the ability to use expandable memory cards like most Android phones but unlike iDevices. It also has a great feature called Kids Corner that is similar to Amazon Kindle Free Time which allows you to set up things so that your children can play games on your phone without you having to worry about them accidently deleting something or sending messages to your boss! The build-in email app is pretty good and the integration with FB and other social sites is awesome. I haven't tried the Xbox glass feature yet, but I'm sure my children will at some point.

I've been playing around with the camera on this particular device and while it's only a 5MP camera, the pictures are surprisingly good. Add to that the fact that WP8 allows for downloadable camera "filters", it's pretty easy to get some nice effects and great shots from this budget device. The radio is pretty sensitive just like in my 810 and while the screen isn't as bright or as nice as the 810, it's still pretty darn good!

Controls are laid out nicely, buttons work well and the camera just "feels" good in hand because of the shape and the fact that the back cover isn't slick plastic but the textured kind with a good grip.

I've noticed that a lot of the online reviews state incorrectly that this is a Windows Phone 7.8 device. This is probably because the European version is indeed a 7.8 device and in most cases was reviewed rather than the US T-Mobile version.

Included in the box was a charger, 2 charging cords (1 short, 1 long), a manual with SIM card and activation kit and the phone.

sandyman said:   StinkPot said:   daweeze002 said:   I ended up getting one from HSN but after using it a few days I am gonna stick with my android phone. If anyone wasn't able to pick one up at WalMart I'd sell mine for 130 shipped. Just pm me

I'm not sure that's a negative. its not a high end phone, its the cheapest WM8 phone out there of course they are going to have to cut some corners.
Some people used to android might not want to be willing to switch, I have lots of different devices and this is the first Wm8 device I've used. It does take a little getting used to and I wont deny I'd like it to be more android like from time to time but that's the way it goes. some people might also be highly invested in the google ecosystem. Engadget reviewed it ( or the related 520) and was not super enthusiastic but if you comapre this phone against phones that are 2-3 times the cost its no surprise its going to come out on the bottom.

I was lucky in that I think my HSN phone was in one of the first batches that shipped, I've been keeping up with what has happened since and your right it does not engender much confidence to order stuff from them in the future.

I wasn't being negative at all, just too many apps I use a lot aren't available in the windows mobile store. Besides that for the price this is a great phone especially being contract free. I will say for having 512mb of ram it performs just as good as my GS3.

So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?

mrtrance said:   So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?
I am trying to do just that. I called Tmo last night and requested an unlock. I meet all the requirements for them to unlock. Even faxed my receipt last night.

Silence thus far. My guess is it's so new, they don't know how to unlock them yet. The CSR kept thinking I was calling about another Nokia model. Had to correct him every few seconds. My guess is I wasted my time.

Score a white 521! Drove about 30 minutes out from my work. WalMart's website show limited stock. I was lucky they still have some left but they are on hold. $140 out of the door. This is WalMart store #3640 in Houston, TX. It is now shown as Out of Stock.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014