• Text Only
coolbreeze said:   mrtrance said:   So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?
I am trying to do just that. I called Tmo last night and requested an unlock. I meet all the requirements for them to unlock. Even faxed my receipt last night.

Silence thus far. My guess is it's so new, they don't know how to unlock them yet. The CSR kept thinking I was calling about another Nokia model. Had to correct him every few seconds. My guess is I wasted my time.

So you had no prior service with Tmobile or are not on any prepaid plans with them correct? You just bought it and called them to get a unlock code while being an ATT customer correct? If someone is able to get the unlock I want to buy one of these as present for some to use on their ATT line since they are using an outdated phone.

mrtrance said:   coolbreeze said:   mrtrance said:   So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?
I am trying to do just that. I called Tmo last night and requested an unlock. I meet all the requirements for them to unlock. Even faxed my receipt last night.

Silence thus far. My guess is it's so new, they don't know how to unlock them yet. The CSR kept thinking I was calling about another Nokia model. Had to correct him every few seconds. My guess is I wasted my time.

So you had no prior service with Tmobile or are not on any prepaid plans with them correct? You just bought it and called them to get a unlock code while being an ATT customer correct? If someone is able to get the unlock I want to buy one of these as present for some to use on their ATT line since they are using an outdated phone.

I'm prepaid. The $30 plan. According to this, I can unlock no problem. I meet all of the requirements.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

I also have an ATT Straight Talk SIM, which is why I want it unlocked. So I'm both a T-Mo and ATT (ST) customer.

I meet all the requirements for them to unlock.

They have a requirement of 60 days and $50 refill. How can you meet this?

dotnetnoob said:   Score a white 521! Drove about 30 minutes out from my work. WalMart's website show limited stock. I was lucky they still have some left but they are on hold. $140 out of the door. This is WalMart store #3640 in Houston, TX. It is now shown as Out of Stock.

WalMart will restock them...so no need to drive 30 minutes to get one. You can simply request WalMart to send you an email when the phone is back in stock. I don't need extra phone right now. Waiting to see if people can unlock it before I go out and buy one. If phone can't be unlocked, I don't need it.

coolbreeze said:   mrtrance said:   coolbreeze said:   mrtrance said:   So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?

I'm prepaid. The $30 plan. According to this, I can unlock no problem. I meet all of the requirements.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

I also have an ATT Straight Talk SIM, which is why I want it unlocked. So I'm both a T-Mo and ATT (ST) customer.

Well the phone is for a friend so I was thinking of buying it and then requesting a unlock for it since I'm with Tmobile currently (postpaid). Then once I have unlocked it I can give it to my friend to use on his ATT line. That should work I think.

coolbreeze said:   mrtrance said:   So is there anyway to just buy this, unlock it right away, and use it on ATT line?

at the risk of being a mooch, could you post updates as to how this goes? I'm not surprised they dont know how, I'm not sure its on the tmobile website yet and I'm pretty sure that not a lot of telco's have a lot of experience unlocking phones the week they are released.

The rules for unlocking are a little confusing, i'm not sure that the 50 bucks and 60 days starts when you start with Tmobile or if its after you register the new phone with the new sim then the clock starts. My guess is that it is the latter ( that the phone you want to unlock has to have the 50 bucks and the 60 days otherwise you could get one account, 10 phones and unlock them all).

I'm fine with Tmobile for now but if I can unlock the phone, I most certainly will.

dotnetnoob said:   Score a white 521! Drove about 30 minutes out from my work. WalMart's website show limited stock. I was lucky they still have some left but they are on hold. $140 out of the door. This is WalMart store #3640 in Houston, TX. It is now shown as Out of Stock.
Happy I saved gas not going to WalMart (roaming around) plus paid 5 cents less than WalMart price on HSN ($149.95 - $10 BOA Cash Back special for HSN) = $139.95. Hooray!

I was using a vintage Tmobile Wing that was ready for the boneyard so the timing is good. After work I called called a bunch of "limited stock" stores without much success. The last one I called would transfer me to electronics and no one would pick up so the call so it would bounce back to the main desk who would transfer me again 6 more times. Electronics finally picks up, puts me on hold and never comes back - call bounces once again to the main desk. This is the point (35 minutes) where I should have hung up but asked the desk to speak to a manager. Instead they transfer me back to Electronics and a girl picks up this time. She says they don't have it and as I thank her for looking she said - wait here it is. I drove over and picked up two.

f2000sa said:    I meet all the requirements for them to unlock.

They have a requirement of 60 days and $50 refill. How can you meet this?

From the link "You have had service in the last 60 days with T-Mobile;"

It doesn't specify that you have to have been using the exact phone you are trying to unlock for 60 days. "Service" means just that. I've had T-Mo prepaid service for months and months totaling hundreds of dollars in refills.

From the link "You have had service in the last 60 days with T-Mobile;"

"T-Mobile has verified usage of the IMEI applicable to the device; "

My understanding is that this phone has to be activated on TM for 60 days.

f2000sa said:   From the link "You have had service in the last 60 days with T-Mobile;"

Not sure why they care, but ok. 59 days and counting.

I thought 'verified usage' meant they see that your SIM is active on the phone with the IMEI you are trying to unlock. Whatevs...it's semantics I suppose. I'll play their game. Nothing to lose and time to burn.

dcoley1 said:   I was using a vintage Tmobile Wing that was ready for the boneyard so the timing is good. After work I called called a bunch of "limited stock" stores without much success. The last one I called would transfer me to electronics and no one would pick up so the call so it would bounce back to the main desk who would transfer me again 6 more times. Electronics finally picks up, puts me on hold and never comes back - call bounces once again to the main desk. This is the point (35 minutes) where I should have hung up but asked the desk to speak to a manager. Instead they transfer me back to Electronics and a girl picks up this time. She says they don't have it and as I thank her for looking she said - wait here it is. I drove over and picked up two.
Wow! Fatwallet should have create a badge called "Patience" and give it to you. But seriously, I would have hung up at the second time the call was bounced back to the main desk. Congrats! Your patience did pay off nicely!

f2000sa said:   From the link "You have had service in the last 60 days with T-Mobile;"

that's how I read it as well but it is confusing, so if it has to be continuous the cheapest way to get it unlocked is get the pay as you go sim ( 10 bucks) add 50 bucks for minutes or if you can get the 30 bucks a month for 2 months. I plan to stay on PAYG so I should be unlockable in about 2 months.

StinkPot said:   dotnetnoob said:   Score a white 521! Drove about 30 minutes out from my work. WalMart's website show limited stock. I was lucky they still have some left but they are on hold. $140 out of the door. This is WalMart store #3640 in Houston, TX. It is now shown as Out of Stock.
Happy I saved gas not going to WalMart (roaming around) plus paid 5 cents less than WalMart price on HSN ($149.95 - $10 BOA Cash Back special for HSN) = $139.95. Hooray!

Yup, if you don't need it and can wait then you don't have to go out of your way. I was on my lunch and didn't feel like eating. So I went and look for it. To be honest, I don't think there were any left since it shown, Limited Stock.

Crystal lake , IL have 3 left by 1:00PM. Hurry get one
Just score one for my wife

Has anyone seen any other color other than white for this phone at WalMart?

To alleviate some confusion....

To get the phone unlocked by tmo, that phone has to be registered and in-use on tmo for 60 days or more. During this time, at least $50 have to have been added in addition to whatever you started with. You have to be in good standing with tmo.

If you are a former customer, they don't require the $50, but the 60 days and good standing are still there.

In short, for each phone, you have to activate and then wait at least 60 days.

aarzi said:   To alleviate some confusion....

In short, for each phone, you have to activate and then wait at least 60 days.

60 days continuously? I swap my SIM a lot to other phones...and in no way is this going to be my 100% of the time device for the next two months.

If I pop out the SIM at day 5, for example, does the clock reset? I mean, why do they give a rip what phone I'm using at any given time. I'd think it's 60 days from when you initially put the SIM in it, but I have no idea if that would track that. If not, I may not ever get this thing unlocked since I don't see myself using it full time...certainly not planning on using for two months straight. What a strange policy.

When you activate this phone - if you want the $30 - 100min Talk - unlimited text - 5GB @ 4G you have to CALL to activate that plan - it is not an option on the automated system. You can dial the *611 number and just start asking for an operator. I set it up no problem! Look in Lower Left corner

Got the phone. Initially enraged with HSN for shipping late but once they got into action believe it or not it took 4 hrs for UPS to deliver. Yet to switch it on but it is Black front white rear and excellent form Factor. Pleased.

Looking at all the initial 'not available' posts, I did not bother to go to my nearby WalMart(Zip:43035) yesterday. Today when I went to pickup some groceries, I casually checked, if it is still available. Yes it is. There were 4. I picked up 2. Anybody tried to activate it with PlatinumTel?

Has anyone tried this on Straight Talk T-Mobile?

Has anyone tried this on Straight Talk T-Mobile?

Is there an echo in here?

Just picked up 3 late last night. The guy looked all over in the back for it and couldn't find it. I asked him to look under the counter and there they were! There was no spot on the shelf for them yet.

There are some online reports that are saying that the phone is sold unlocked. Is that the case, can anyone with the phone try to verify by putting a non-tmobile sim in it. Or just reports are just wrong?

Is that the case, can anyone with the phone try to verify by putting a non-tmobile sim in it

It is locked. I tried it last night. It did not even work on lycomodia, which uses TM's network.

LycaMobile uses a different network code so that makes sense it wouldn't work on a T-Mobile locked phone.

Boochi said:   Looking at all the initial 'not available' posts, I did not bother to go to my nearby WalMart(Zip:43035) yesterday. Today when I went to pickup some groceries, I casually checked, if it is still available. Yes it is. There were 4. I picked up 2. Anybody tried to activate it with PlatinumTel?

I have mine running on Patel, no issues.

Ken99287 said:   Just picked up 3 late last night. The guy looked all over in the back for it and couldn't find it. I asked him to look under the counter and there they were! There was no spot on the shelf for them yet.

Was your store showing limited stock or out of stock online?

Will this phone work if you are on a 1000 minute T-Mobile voice only plan.
Therefore, there is no data package.
You just remove your old T-Mobile sim and add it to this new Nokia phone.

Thanks,

mrtrance said:   Ken99287 said:   Just picked up 3 late last night. The guy looked all over in the back for it and couldn't find it. I asked him to look under the counter and there they were! There was no spot on the shelf for them yet.

Was your store showing limited stock or out of stock online?

Showing limited stock but the stock counter was over a day behind.

He looked in the back, came back, looked up the item number, mumbled something when I asked if the system was showing any and went back to the back. Still came back with nothing and told me they don't have any. I directly asked if the computer showed any in stock. He said yes. I asked how many, he mumbled, "a couple".he tried to call other sites for me to try to find me one - unsuccessful. I asked him to look under the counter in case they were stuck there. He found a box in the back of a drawer under the cash register. In it, were 3 Lumia phones. He kept looking for a launch date to make sure he was allowed to sell them to me. There is a limit of 2. He had to call a manager to get approval before ringing up the other one separately.

Took a lot longer than it should have - about half an hour. I hope these phones are worth it!

And he was the night staff. I went in around midnight.

richard9 said:   Will this phone work if you are on a 1000 minute T-Mobile voice only plan.
Therefore, there is no data package.
You just remove your old T-Mobile sim and add it to this new Nokia phone.

Thanks,

Works for me!

Does anyone know if there is a protective plastic/rubber cover/case available for this phone yet?

Update: Never mind, I just googled and found them...

Back in stock on-line! Just placed an order and it states it will arrive 5/15. There is also an in-store option pick-up - same date - pick-up 5/15.

Back out-of-stock online. Sorry - hopefully some of you were quick.

2 questions
How is the camera on this phone?
Not expecting miracles, but I want it to be as good as my Vibrant.

What is Wal Mart's return policy on phones? Can it be returned if the box has been opened? restock fee? the clerk just said 15 days, but did not seem to know what she was talking about

Great camera! No flash. It is auto-focus and I was able to take some really up close shots. I am upgrading from a 4 year old Palm Pre so just about any new phone is going to be better than what I have.

nm

I'm finding this phone difficult to use. The shape of it makes it difficult to turn the volume up and down without dropping it. Whenever you try to change the volume, the shape and material makes you squeeze it out of your hands. And when you do drop it, like I did in my car, the tiny bit of dirt on the carpet easily scratched the soft plastic back and the dirt is forever embedded in it...

First day of use and it's dirtier than my 6 month old Note 2.

And maybe I'm just used to Android and iPhone, but I'm finding it very difficult to use. Then again, I can't figure out Windows 8 either. I spent a lifetime learning to use Windows and they change it on me! Ugh!

Needless to say, my SIM went right back into my Note 2.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014