• Text Only
If you lower your expectation, you will find that the phone is pretty amazing. The price is about 1/5 or 1/6 of unlocked current mode of Iphone or Android.

Does anyone know that the packages (phone itself) of HSN and WM are the same. HSN is a plastic box with everything inside.

I think they are. The HSN one had a tmobile box (box1) inside another box (box2) and the accessories were free inside box2.

Ken99287 said:   I'm finding this phone difficult to use. The shape of it makes it difficult to turn the volume up and down without dropping it. Whenever you try to change the volume, the shape and material makes you squeeze it out of your hands. And when you do drop it, like I did in my car, the tiny bit of dirt on the carpet easily scratched the soft plastic back and the dirt is forever embedded in it...

First day of use and it's dirtier than my 6 month old Note 2.

And maybe I'm just used to Android and iPhone, but I'm finding it very difficult to use. Then again, I can't figure out Windows 8 either. I spent a lifetime learning to use Windows and they change it on me! Ugh!

Needless to say, my SIM went right back into my Note 2.

Sorry, but why would you even want to replace a Note 2 with this thing? I own a Note 2 myself, and except for the size maybe, I just don't see any advantage to switching to a Lumia 521, though I can see someone wanting it as a second/backup phone. I'm sure you must've known how large the Note 2 was before you got it, though.

f2000sa said:   If you lower your expectation, you will find that the phone is pretty amazing. The price is about 1/5 or 1/6 of unlocked current mode of Iphone or Android.
You might as well get a feature phone if you lower your expectations too much.

f2000sa said:   f you lower your expectation, you will find that the phone is pretty amazing. The price is about 1/5 or 1/6 of unlocked current mode of Iphone or Android.

Well I just expect a phone not to want to slip and pop out of my hand if I want to change the volume single handedly.

And I expect the material to be able to survive falling onto my floor mat without getting scratched and picking up and holding onto dirt.

The operating system difficulty is just my own issue.

FatWallEEE said:   Ken99287 said:   I'm finding this phone difficult to use. The shape of it makes it difficult to turn the volume up and down without dropping it. Whenever you try to change the volume, the shape and material makes you squeeze it out of your hands. And when you do drop it, like I did in my car, the tiny bit of dirt on the carpet easily scratched the soft plastic back and the dirt is forever embedded in it...

First day of use and it's dirtier than my 6 month old Note 2.

And maybe I'm just used to Android and iPhone, but I'm finding it very difficult to use. Then again, I can't figure out Windows 8 either. I spent a lifetime learning to use Windows and they change it on me! Ugh!

Needless to say, my SIM went right back into my Note 2.

Sorry, but why would you even want to replace a Note 2 with this thing? I own a Note 2 myself, and except for the size maybe, I just don't see any advantage to switching to a Lumia 521, though I can see someone wanting it as a second/backup phone. I'm sure you must've known how large the Note 2 was before you got it, though.

I don't want to replace my note 2. I wanted to try the Lumia/Windows phone.

And I expect the material to be able to survive falling onto my floor mat without getting siding and picking up and holding onto dirt.

I bought two covers for $5.xx here: It may help with your issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281104461937

Are there any objective reviews on state of the Windows Apps market? Not finding apps that exist for Android/Apple seems to be the main issue for my friends who have windows phones...

I think they are finally getting an official Facebook App soon if that is an indication of anything

You're just joking around, right? Windows Phone has had an official Facebook app for years -- it's separate from the phone's awesome, built-in Facebook and Twitter integration.

I have Windows Phones and Android phones (and an iPod but no other Apple products). I don't have any app issue, however there are apps on each platform that aren't available on the others. For instance, I play Cross Me on Android and Wordament and Logic Games on Windows Phone. I prefer using the Facebook app on Android (instead of HTC One's Facebook integration through BlinkFeed and contacts) whereas on Windows Phone I prefer the built-in integration (What's New on group tiles and the Me tile).

sneakymoose said:   You're just joking around, right? Windows Phone has had an official Facebook app for years -- it's separate from the phone's awesome, built-in Facebook and Twitter integration.

I have Windows Phones and Android phones (and an iPod but no other Apple products). I don't have any app issue, however there are apps on each platform that aren't available on the others. For instance, I play Cross Me on Android and Wordament and Logic Games on Windows Phone. I prefer using the Facebook app on Android (instead of HTC One's Facebook integration through BlinkFeed and contacts) whereas on Windows Phone I prefer the built-in integration (What's New on group tiles and the Me tile).

not joking..this article is from yesterday....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038192/facebook-to-microsoft-dum...

Facebook has asked Microsoft to remove 41 unofficial and clone ‘Facebook’ apps from the Windows Phone store as the social network prepares to introduce its official app for the platform.

The article is rather misleading. Yes, there are a ton of 3rd party Facebook apps, just as there are on Android's Play Store.

There is also an official Facebook app on Windows Phone. And yes, a beta was released recently, but it's just a new overhaul of the official app -- it will become the new official Facebook app when the beta ends.

sneakymoose said:   The article is rather misleading. Yes, there are a ton of 3rd party Facebook apps, just as there are on Android's Play Store.

There is also an official Facebook app on Windows Phone. And yes, a beta was released recently, but it's just a new overhaul of the official app -- it will become the new official Facebook app when the beta ends.

How is the article misleading? There is no Official Facebook app for Windows...The beta was just released last month...

anybody knows if I can unlock and use it on pageplus?

Ken99287 said:   I don't want to replace my note 2. I wanted to try the Lumia/Windows phone.
Maybe you can exchange and move up to a Lumia 620 instead? Or better yet, try one of the better touchscreen phones from Nokia's Asha line if you're just looking for a cheap phone.

spacejamz said:   Are there any objective reviews on state of the Windows Apps market? Not finding apps that exist for Android/Apple seems to be the main issue for my friends who have windows phones...
Another issue I have is that even when an app eventually does become available on the WP marketplace, it's usually a couple of generations behind apps on iOS and/or Android. Blackberry is doing slightly better as they've made it really easy for app developers from other platforms to port to BB10. Wouldn't be surprised if BB10 apps outnumber WP apps by the end of the year.

Honestly, if Nokia hadn't agreed to switch over to WP, I'm not sure where MS would be today. There are things Symbian phones can do that WP8 still can't. Annoying as hell unless you're really coming from a VERY basic feature phone.

guoyang said:   anybody knows if I can unlock and use it on pageplus?No. Page Plus uses CDMA = different technology.

sneakymoose said:   I play Cross Me on Android and Wordament and Logic Games on Windows Phone.

Wordament is available on iDevices now too. I noticed that my ranking went up almost immediately when another 500 clueless players per round appeared!

f2000sa said:   If you lower your expectation, you will find that the phone is pretty amazing. The price is about 1/5 or 1/6 of unlocked current mode of Iphone or Android.
1)Battery guzzler and
2) Can see very little of the screen when standing out in mild sun even at high brightness

With battery save function looks OK!

spacejamz said:   
How is the article misleading? There is no Official Facebook app for Windows...The beta was just released last month...

The takedown for 3rd party apps and the existence of a new beta does not mean what you think it means.

The OFFICIAL Facebook app has been available on Windows Phone 7 since launch in 2010. The beta that was just released is just that, a BETA for a new revision of the OFFICIAL app.

Back in stock at HSN.

$149.95 or flex pay options. Free shipping.

In case you missed it, T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling feature will be added to the Lumia 521 through an over the air update which starts on May 20.

T-Mobile will also be selling this device directly for $149.99, starting May 22.

You have to totally wipe your phone for the OS update. Lol, Microsoft. Jeez!

EDIT (don't red me). Neeevermind. Misread the link details. Just a CYA direction to backup in case your useless photos and texts get wiped. Got it.

I will give major kudos for TMo/MSFT for being TRANSPARENT about upcoming OS updates. It's a mysterious game with nearly every other phone/carrier in existence. Planned updates that are proactively communicated needs to become a thing.

I think you do have to totally wipe the phone... I had to on my 8X, anyway. Little things like that make the Wi-Fi calling seem incomplete to me. For instance, you can actually *uninstall* the Wi-Fi Calling app, but there is no way to *reinstall* aside from another factory reset. It doesn't support MMS messaging at all, and last night I was using it with SMS and several of my messages weren't received by the recipient (on AT&T). So I've set it to "Cellular Priority" where it's supposed to turn on only when I have no cell reception.

luck me.
got the last one from a local WalMart store today
Plus tax, it is $142.

It is a no brain to buy this phone.

The screen is great(not too big, not too small). Nokia map rox.

To be honest, I do not see much difference between this phone and a Samsung Galaxy S2 or Iphone 4, and this one is dirty cheap.

People talked about no apps on windows mobile, I do not see that, do you really need 1000 apps? I could not even handle 100 apps.

I do love Nokia phone, its quality is pretty good.

Sounds like each WalMart Store received only a few units at a time. It doesn't make any sense that WalMart would stock only a few units of anything.

I heart dirty cheap stuffs.

coolbreeze said:   I heart dirty cheap stuffs.In case anyone was wondering where this comment came from...
xk2003 said:   luck me.
got the last one from a local WalMart store today
Plus tax, it is $142.

It is a no brain to buy this phone.

The screen is great(not too big, not too small). Nokia map rox.

To be honest, I do not see much difference between this phone and a Samsung Galaxy S2 or Iphone 4, and this one is dirty cheap.

People talked about no apps on windows mobile, I do not see that, do you really need 1000 apps? I could not even handle 100 apps.

Got one @ WalMart in Katy, Texas on Fry Rd. I plan on using this on the T- Mobile $30 plan. Does anyone have this phone on that plan? pros, Cons? Easiest way to set it up? Store, phone? TIA.

Bought two. My teenagers LOVE it. They had iPhone 4. Now their friends want this phone too! Big screen, beautiful live tiles, x-box app., and basically indestructible (look for youtube demos and tests). We will unlock them for our upcoming oversea trip in the summer.

Got one @ WalMart in Katy, Texas on Fry Rd. I plan on using this on the T- Mobile $30 plan. Does anyone have this phone on that plan? pros, Cons? Easiest way to set it up? Store, phone? TIA.

Bumping because I would like to know also!

sean2002 said:   Bought two. My teenagers LOVE it. They had iPhone 4. Now their friends want this phone too! Big screen, beautiful live tiles, x-box app., and basically indestructible (look for youtube demos and tests). We will unlock them for our upcoming oversea trip in the summer.
Most of the Youtube videos and tests target the European version of the phone that sports WP 7.8. I'm not sure if there are many other differences in the hardware, but obviously support for storage cards isn't available in 7.8 and are a huge feature of 8.0

FroginMyPants said:   Got one @ WalMart in Katy, Texas on Fry Rd. I plan on using this on the T- Mobile $30 plan. Does anyone have this phone on that plan? pros, Cons? Easiest way to set it up? Store, phone? TIA.

Bumping because I would like to know also!

Have it on the $30 plan. Works fine. Just put your SIM in and go. No setup required.

If you are hoping a WalMart employee will hand guide you through the setup process, may I wish you godspeed, sir?

Any recommendations on covers/cases/skins for this?

rootbeer13 said:   Any recommendations on covers/cases/skins for this?

Make sure you don't mistakenly buy a Lumia 520 skin, since it won't fit a 521.

anyone know how much worldwide maps cost?

Limited stock in my store. Can you port in an existing number? I have Sprint but out of contract and would like to utilize this.

Can you port in an existing number? I

Number porting depends on your service provider/plan choice. It is not the capacity of a phone.

What are the choices for provider, specifically which one(s) would allow me to port my number? From what I've gathered (and I could be totally off-base) it looks like T Mobile is the only prepay service that works with unless you can unlock the phone... which can't be done unless you have it activated on T-Mobile for 60 days & $50 spent?

Please forgive my ignorance, most of this is over my head and i'm just trying to keep up.

excx said:   anyone know how much worldwide maps cost?Pretty sure all "HERE" maps are free.

NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   excx said:   anyone know how much worldwide maps cost?Pretty sure all "HERE" maps are free.

if you have the phone just try to download maps for another country.. is yours from WalMart?

please let me know if you can get foreign maps.

thanks

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014