• Text Only
Gpz1100 said:   Jaimelobo, older people are set in their ways. You'll realize this one day too

I would never hear the end of it. While each UI does have some learning curve to it, I do agree this seems like a step backwards. From what I've read, even windows phone 6.5 had this feature. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I rarely use vibrate myself. Then again, after using android the last 3 years, I would never again consider such a closed OS either.
If by "older", you mean post-AARP age, then I am already am there

Point being, I think it is a little "dramatic" to refer to a particular design philosophy as "a step backwards". Lots of things have slight different ways of working, very few TV remotes have buttons in the same spot or use the same logic to get through the menus, just because I have gotten used to one, it doesn't make the others backward. My first cell phone, let me just press and hold the "5" button to silence -- much simpler and quicker than any smartphone today, so I guess all smartphones are a step backward from my 1995 Ericson cell phone.

I agree, some folks get set in their way, but is tapping the volume control and then one icon on the screen that confusing? Yeah, you can't cycle between Ring/Vibrate and Ring/Silent with the onscreen icon alone, but most people I know have a preference and always use silent or vibrate anyway and all they care about is turning off the ringer.

E4300 said:   Made in China. A $1 plastic screen protector works well to protect the glass screen.

Lumia 521 comes with Glonglass. I dont think there is any screen protection required.

rockymast said:   E4300 said:   Made in China. A $1 plastic screen protector works well to protect the glass screen.

Lumia 521 comes with Glonglass. I dont think there is any screen protection required.

It's possible that 521 is equipped with Gorilla glass, although the spec did not specific as such. The material is scratch resistant, but there is little harm in adding some cheap protection.

I think by now most people know the difference between outage and coverage. I even lost it at home. It magically came back when I tried switching SIMS. Again, no customer support sucks. You cant ask for Rep for troubleshooting. One more chance. Then its back to yuckkk AT&T.

Nostradamus said:   I think by now most people know the difference between outage and coverage. I even lost it at home. It magically came back when I tried switching SIMS. Again, no customer support sucks. You cant ask for Rep for troubleshooting. One more chance. Then its back to yuckkk AT&T.

Sigh. It takes such a vast amount of capital to build an extensive coverage network that entry is prohibitively expensive and competition barely existent.

Frys.com has the Nokia Lumia 521 for $119.99 here from 6/28 to 7/4.

It is out of stock online but you can check local availability. AZ stores still have some.

Edit: Brawa beat me to it.

HiLine said:   Nostradamus said:   I think by now most people know the difference between outage and coverage. I even lost it at home. It magically came back when I tried switching SIMS. Again, no customer support sucks. You cant ask for Rep for troubleshooting. One more chance. Then its back to yuckkk AT&T.

Sigh. It takes such a vast amount of capital to build an extensive coverage network that entry is prohibitively expensive and competition barely existent.

Well, its not the coverage I am whining about, in fact I have always touted how good T-Mobile's coverage is, even near my workplace, compared to ATT.
In my friend's ranch in Milpitas, none of the ATT fanboys had even calling coverage, and I was able to get data even, and could hot spot it.

its the lack of CS and abrupt outage I am talking about. When I called their CS, a recorded message told me we are aware of the outage in your area.

Got the only one they got shipped to them. WalMart @ Spring, TX.

Now to port my number and decide which plan or visea versa. Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks OP.

Look what I found here. Lol!

FYI: I got mine from HSN; I already have enough funds in my T-Mobile Pay-as-you-go; When I tried to call T-Mobile to unlock, I was told that this phone's IMEI number does not exist in their system.

I'll have to check again.

It was $119 at Fry's this morning but looks to be sold out online now. Almost tempted but too many phones already.

E4300 said:   rockymast said:   E4300 said:   Made in China. A $1 plastic screen protector works well to protect the glass screen.

It's possible that 521 is equipped with Gorilla glass, although the spec did not specific as such. The material is scratch resistant, but there is little harm in adding some cheap protection.

Not true

Link
You can't expect to pay the price of a Toyota Corolla and expect features of a luxury sedan like Lexus or BMW.

Chazwel said:   Got the only one they got shipped to them. WalMart @ Spring, TX.

Now to port my number and decide which plan or visea versa. Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks OP.

Stop! Port your number to Google Voice instead so you own it indefinitely. Then can switch out sims, carriers, and phones without any worries

Seems that WalMart has had them in stock for a couple of days now. I picked one up at the Waynesboro GA location and really like it. The Nokia navigation app is very good, as is their music app. This phone certainly doesn't seem cheap, especially when you compare it to the Androids available at this price point.

The last time I used a Windows based smartphone was WM5 (on a Motorola Q), and was really concerned about app selection and availability, but now that I have it, I am not having any trouble at all finding quality apps, Comcast even has a remote app that works great on it.

its been a few months since this phone came out. Has anyone found a cheaper method (and quicker) method of unlocking this phone other than going the tmobile 60 day/ $51 in expense route? I understand cellularunlocker.net is doing it for $40, but it still seems a bit pricey and I haven't heard of anyone actually going that route.

Slider said:   Chazwel said:   Got the only one they got shipped to them. WalMart @ Spring, TX.

Thanks OP.

Stop! Port your number to Google Voice instead so you own it indefinitely. Then can switch out sims, carriers, and phones without any worries

I thought when you ported your number to GV you also lost MMS and other features unless you are on Android?

sirfergy said:   Slider said:   Chazwel said:   Got the only one they got shipped to them. WalMart @ Spring, TX.

Thanks OP.
I thought when you ported your number to GV you also lost MMS and other features unless you are on Android?
Pro & Cons

No MMS using your GV number. If people want to MMS you, they'll have to use the number that belongs to your actual cellphone. It's kind of annoying for people to have to have two numbers for you and remember which one to use for what.
No Facetime using your GV number. You'll have to give out your bare cellphone number again.
No more visual voicemail if you have an iPhone. You can technically still use it, but you'll have to rig up your settings so that it's your iPhone eventually taking the voicemail. Otherwise, Google's is fine, and can transcribe your voicemails
Call latency is worse than you're used to. If you're using Google Voice from a landline, you won't notice, but if you're on a cellphone, you'll feel that your words are getting to the other person slower than usual, causing some awkward pauses/simultaneous talking occasionally
Another point of failure. Although Google Voice doesn't go down much, it does go down sometimes, leaving you unable to make calls for a few hours. You also occasionally have slowdowns, where your texts are delayed not because of the carrier you're on, but because Google's having some issues.

apkesh said:   its been a few months since this phone came out. Has anyone found a cheaper method (and quicker) method of unlocking this phone other than going the tmobile 60 day/ $51 in expense route? I understand cellularunlocker.net is doing it for $40, but it still seems a bit pricey and I haven't heard of anyone actually going that route.
I'm curious about this too - i bought one and plan on using it for my last month or 2 on my TMO post paid plan (as I'll have to cut the sim to nano to fit) but i want to unlock it shortly thereafter - will there still be a charge if i use it on my post paid plan for a couple months????

lemonhead said:   
I'm curious about this too - i bought one and plan on using it for my last month or 2 on my TMO post paid plan (as I'll have to cut the sim to nano to fit) but i want to unlock it shortly thereafter - will there still be a charge if i use it on my post paid plan for a couple months????

Why not use the SIM card the phone comes with on your postpaid account? When I got mine I used the T-Mobile website swap the SIM cards from my old larger card to the micro that it came with. Same thing with my daughters L9, when my wife got her Nexus 4 I had a prepaid micro SIM I had ordered that we used, did that one over the phone.

They will typically unlock phones used on post paid plans after a fairly short time for free. T-Mobile has always been better about unlocking phones at customer request than others.

Anecdotal data seems to indicate that you can call and unlock after you spend more than $50 on this phone when you buy it new, however since you already have a history with T-Mob, you may be able to do it sooner.

Some have reported getting it unlocked in as little as 10 days, other were told they had to have it more than 60, so it seems to be up to the capricious whims of the CSR you reach on the phone. Only problem some folks had was buying from non-authorize source (like fleabay) and they having T-Mob tell them they wouldn't unlock the phone.

Just in case, see the HSN deal for $80 for this phone posted today on FW. HSN deal . Thanks to this WalMart OP for a great post... you made me aware of a solid phone and I just waited a bit.

jaimelobo said:   Anecdotal data seems to indicate that you can call and unlock after you spend more than $50 on this phone when you buy it new, however since you already have a history with T-Mob, you may be able to do it sooner.

Some have reported getting it unlocked in as little as 10 days, other were told they had to have it more than 60, so it seems to be up to the capricious whims of the CSR you reach on the phone. Only problem some folks had was buying from non-authorize source (like fleabay) and they having T-Mob tell them they wouldn't unlock the phone.

good info - I can add 3 more phones to my account on T-MO for only $10/mo. so I may add this for 2 months and then have them unlock it!
thanks for the info!
will report back when I have something to report.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.