Disclaimer
www.amazon.com/Asus-EB1030-B001L-ASUS-Desktop/dp/B00BP0HV1U
$239 - $50 when using 'INTELPCS' at checkout
ASUS Eee Box EB1030-B001L
Intel Atom D2700
32GB SSD
2GB RAM
Ubuntu 12.04 OS

Apologies if this has already been posted. I actually saw this deal on Amazon a couple of days ago but totally forgot to post about it because I was busy doing research on another intel-based laptop that's also on sale over there using the same coupon code I was thinking of getting. By the way, if you look around, there's actually quite a lot of laptops and desktops on Amazon right now where the 'INTELPCS' coupon code will work.

Last I looked, Amazon says it's OOS until May 11, but you can still add it to your cart and purchase the item using the promo code above. Also, in case you're wondering, this is a full nettop computer. Not a barebones system. Normally, small nettops at this price don't have a hard drive and ram, so this is pretty much the cheapest, brand new computer you can buy at the moment.

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

ASUS EB1030-B001L
Thanks FatWallEEE
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
^ For linux, booting from a thumb drive wouldn't be a problem. Not so sure about Windows, though. From my own experien... (more)

FatWallEEE (May. 15, 2013 @ 12:03a) |

Got the rig today... yeah it is a low power and entry system alright. Great for bedroom HTPC.

Anyway for those who are in... (more)

SteveDusa (May. 15, 2013 @ 1:10a) |

You know that Microsoft partnered with XBMC.org, so I guess that's MS new Media Center. Now Microsoft has partnered with... (more)

mickeycrv (May. 19, 2013 @ 7:24p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

32gb 2700rpm drive?

I think it's a typo on Amazon. If you look at the specs from other sites, it's an 32GB SSD drive.

Thanks OP. Not to TC, I too had been on the lookout for something similar but personally felt that nettops are a little overpriced and was able to get in on the Target deal from last year for the Acer Aspire One 422-0473 for approx 200 bucks. A full-fledged netbook, with screen and keyboard. Granted that was then and now is now but FWIW it may help to keep looking.

If you're thinking of getting another netbook, I'm currently waiting for the Asus 1015E-DS03 myself. It's not available yet, but pre-order price is already at a low $199. I think if I time it right, this thing may be able to go down to as low as $150 before it disappears completely from the interwebs

Cool, thanks.

FatWallEEE said:   If you're thinking of getting another netbook, I'm currently waiting for the Asus 1015E-DS03 myself. It's not available yet, but pre-order price is already at a low $199. I think if I time it right, this thing may be able to go down to as low as $150 before it disappears completely from the interwebs

Thanks. Looks like a good deal indeed for the price/features. Haven't used Asus tablets/notebooks myself but from my good (touch wood) experience with their motherboards would expect the same high quality.

For the price, they're quite decent. I bought a 1st-gen EEE for my niece before, and the thing still works up to this day, although barely usable now. I almost bought an Acer Aspire One as well, but decided against it when I saw how glossy the screen was. I like this particular Asus netbook because the screen is not only matte, but it also has 1366x768 resolution. Hopefully, the price will drop a little bit more once the Haswell based laptops start flooding the market.

I would throw a little bit of caution...i've never owned an atom cpu but from what I've read they are not highly regarded, especialy as an HTPC..

tydas said:   I would throw a little bit of caution...i've never owned an atom cpu but from what I've read they are not highly regarded, especialy as an HTPC..
It really depends on what type of videos you're playing. The bottleneck usually isn't in the actual "video playing" itself but rather the "video decoding" part of the process which can cause stuttering if the CPU+GPU can't keep up with the frame rates (usually between 24-30hz) commonly used to play videos on your tv. Keep in mind a slow HDD in an HTPC can also be a major bottleneck.

Regarding the EB1030 specifically, I believe it is the first Eee Box that doesn't have a dedicated GPU. (Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.) The previous models with older Atom chips actually had Nvidia cards built in. I'm assuming Asus did some thorough testing prior to releasing this particular model and thought that the D2700 was powerful enough to not need a dedicated GPU. Time will tell.

As a side note, Intel killed off the D2700 CPU last year (because of low yields or some such), so you won't be able to find a faster 10w TDP CPU until much later this year or possibly even next year when they start releasing 22nm-based chips.

Ok, I'm going to stop now. Too technical already Haha!

really want one of these lightweight eeePC stuff
great for people traveling giving presentations that needs VGA/HDMI output, an iPad can't do that.
keyboard is also great for needing to do some actual work.

badaboom said:   
great for people traveling giving presentations that needs VGA/HDMI output, an iPad can't do that.

Sure it can.

FatWallEEE said:   If you're thinking of getting another netbook, I'm currently waiting for the Asus 1015E-DS03 myself. It's not available yet, but pre-order price is already at a low $199. I think if I time it right, this thing may be able to go down to as low as $150 before it disappears completely from the interwebs

How is it a pre-order? It shows "Discontinued" at the bottom of that page.

VirtuaL said:   FatWallEEE said:   If you're thinking of getting another netbook, I'm currently waiting for the Asus 1015E-DS03 myself. It's not available yet, but pre-order price is already at a low $199. I think if I time it right, this thing may be able to go down to as low as $150 before it disappears completely from the interwebs

How is it a pre-order? It shows "Discontinued" at the bottom of that page.

Hmm... It was listed for pre-order at $199 the other day. Some of the other folks here can probably confirm. I kinda had a feeling they weren't supposed to show the DS02 and DS03 models yet anyway as no other sellers have them listed yet either. It's possible "discontinuing" a product may be EXcaliber's way of hiding items from search. Maybe check again around June 2 since that's what it says on the top right corner?

shihkang said:   Amazon has the Asus 1015E-DS01 for $269:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015E-DS01-10-1-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/...

The price on Amazon keeps fluctuating between $250-$300. Try B&H instead. They have the DS01 listed at $249 until the end of May.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/943487-REG/asus_1015e_ds01...

I've seen so many options out there, what do you guys suggest for a basic HTPC that would primarily access a desktop computer's recorded shows (Windows 7 media center) and play videos from online sites like Hulu?

I've used Xbox 360 as an extender but I really want more flexibility and the Xbox sometimes does not see the desktop computer.

ricoscoro said:   I've seen so many options out there, what do you guys suggest for a basic HTPC that would primarily access a desktop computer's recorded shows (Windows 7 media center) and play videos from online sites like Hulu?

I've used Xbox 360 as an extender but I really want more flexibility and the Xbox sometimes does not see the desktop computer.
Yeah, that's more or less what I've been looking to do too. I thought about a DIY system but it's difficult to get those as small as pre-built configurations. I looked at something like this Eee box, but I still have doubts about it's ability for 1080p playback. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Intel NUC - comparable pricing to this, but still maintains a small form factor and plenty powerful for HTPC use. If you have any other thoughts, I'd love to hear it.

The Intel NUC is nice but keep in mind, you still have to add RAM, an mSATA card, and cables as it's sold as a barebones system, at least for now. (Silly Intel even left out the power cable. LOL!)

If you're worried about the Atom D2700 in this particular Eee Box, there are other nettop models and brands that have a more powerful CPU/GPU combo. Again, it really depends on how much power you need. For starters, check out Zotac and Foxconn's nettop boxes. Some of them come with AMD chips which are slower than Intel, but generally play better videos.

ricoscoro said:   I've seen so many options out there, what do you guys suggest for a basic HTPC that would primarily access a desktop computer's recorded shows (Windows 7 media center) and play videos from online sites like Hulu?
If you just want a simple setup (using basic Windows file sharing), I would just stick to running Windows in a small HTPC. That way, you get maximum compatibility with minimum effort. Also, you don't even have to buy a new computer if you already have one lying around. Just upgrade the graphics card if necessary. The only reason people buy new devices like an Eee Box is to save space and electricity.

FatWallEEE said:   The Intel NUC is nice but keep in mind, you still have to add RAM, an mSATA card, and cables as it's sold as a barebones system, at least for now. (Silly Intel even left out the power cable. LOL!)

If you're worried about the Atom D2700 in this particular Eee Box, there are other nettop models and brands that have a more powerful CPU/GPU combo. Again, it really depends on how much power you need. For starters, check out Zotac and Foxconn's nettop boxes. Some of them come with AMD chips which are slower than Intel, but generally play better videos.

If you just want a simple setup (using basic Windows file sharing), I would just stick to running Windows in a small HTPC. That way, you get maximum compatibility with minimum effort. Also, you don't even have to buy a new computer if you already have one lying around. Just upgrade the graphics card if necessary. The only reason people buy new devices like an Eee Box is to save space and electricity.

space is the issue i'm combatting. Would like something to put behind the TV which is hanging in the corner. I could make a micro atx case work.

a few months ago, i built mini itx based computer with AMD E350 CPU, Gigabyte mobo, small SSD, 4 GB RAM, Ubuntu 12.10. It runs XBMC and streams movies from NAS. PC fits pretty well on entertainment center. Total cost about $200

FatWallEEE said:   The Intel NUC is nice but keep in mind, you still have to add RAM, an mSATA card, and cables as it's sold as a barebones system, at least for now. (Silly Intel even left out the power cable. LOL!) Definitely good points, but for me, I have a crap ton of those power cables, several spare sodimm ram from laptops and usb thumdrives lying around that I would be able to use without having to buy anything extra. The only reason I haven't jumped on it yet is because I'm curious to see if the upcoming xbox will be capable of doing a lot of the features I would want from a HTPC.

^ For linux, booting from a thumb drive wouldn't be a problem. Not so sure about Windows, though. From my own experience, it doesn't matter how much RAM I throw at it. It always seems to be writing something to the drive even if page file size is set to 0 :/ YMMV...

ricoscoro said:   space is the issue i'm combatting. Would like something to put behind the TV which is hanging in the corner. I could make a micro atx case work.
If you're TV has holes in the back for VESA mounting, just make sure the case of whatever system you decide to buy eventually can also be VESA-mounted (provided you aren't already using the holes in the back to mount your TV to a wall, of course).

Got the rig today... yeah it is a low power and entry system alright. Great for bedroom HTPC.

Anyway for those who are interested... I have the BIOS modded with SLIC 2.1, tested and working fine.

If you are interested and KNOW how to flash the BIOS, PM me.

You know that Microsoft partnered with XBMC.org, so I guess that's MS new Media Center. Now Microsoft has partnered with LG TVs and I bet that's how Microsoft will push their version of XBMC. XBMC has stopped development on their Ubuntu development. I'd grab a slightly outdated 64 bit PC (preferably a full ATX) that can hold lots of RAM and has a PCI-E port for a 2 GIG 3D video card.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014