• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Free Shotguns In Chicago: Armed Citizen Project Wants To Arm Single Women, Homeowners

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57582990/group-aims-to-give-...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/05/free-shotguns-in-chicag...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DgCa0QEzJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbTfKdJacOA

A gun advocacy group announced this weekend their hope to distribute free shotguns to unarmed people living in some of the most high-crime areas of 15 U.S. cities, including Chicago.

Member Summary

Free Shotguns (331.43kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I agree that this isn't a deal in the traditional sense.

However, the program is real, and they are putting real guns in ... (more)

SelfGovern (May. 11, 2013 @ 10:25p) |

I want to see if this will work for my daughter who lives in Baltimore. It seems like a great program to help those who ... (more)

Augustheat (May. 13, 2013 @ 8:01a) |

This guy was on Lock n Load Friday night. You can find the podcast here.

Kandykornhead (May. 18, 2013 @ 1:28a) |

What's the point of posting this on a website like this?

Pretty much limited to single mothers that lives in high crime rate areas....

Not to mention single mother that's prolly working two jobs leaving her kids at home with a loaded shotgun.

chinh said:   What's the point of posting this on a website like this?

Pretty much limited to single mothers that lives in high crime rate areas....Q]

Free Shotguns In Chicago: Armed Citizen Project Wants To Arm Single Women, Homeowners

Homeowners Too

I am in for 3

chinh said:   What's the point of posting this on a website like this?

Not to mention single mother that's prolly working two jobs leaving her kids at home with a loaded shotgun.

Because the beauty of a site like Fatwallet is this... When dealing with items and sometimes services that people are willing to buy, there are thousands of people that find awesome deals and post it for us to go through. Free items go in the Free forums, unless they are of a value greater than 10 dollars. Otherwise, post away here in Hot Deals.

The community benefit greatly from these posts, especially like someone like Butcherboy who posts a ton for us. There is a feedback system that allows us to critique these deals. If it is a "meh" deal, I can just ignore it. If it is a good deal, I give it green. If it is not a deal, I can give it red. These votes can get abused sometimes because of many different reasons. Political views, religious views, something doesn't have HDMI, or its not a crown vic. But, by the time the deals get reviewed by the community, they tend to supersede those votes. You can also comment away to further provide feedback. Most like to keep the commentary about the deal. Some like to insert funny and sarcastic comments, and others just overall hate. But again, the majority contribute beneficial feedback (even if it is just a chuckle).

Also, for most, a deal is a deal. I've seen deals go through and get thousands of views that are so specific to the target audience that you can start out by saying "Pretty much limited to..". Again, generally, I don't see where anyone at FW discriminates in the face of posting a deal. Like those deals that sometimes are "only" for that person who wears a 17 wide men's running shoe and they are the only ones left on a deal that is 95% off. I'll bet that targeted audience is way less than the targeted audience of this post.

I encourage you to read all of the post and supporting links if the deal looks like it may pertain to you. If not, you can and probably should just ignore the post. I'm not in the market for any type of gun whatsoever. But I like the words Free in a post that makes it to the front of Hot Deals. I read through everything and I see it looks legit. It does look free. So, for those who qualify, and do want a shotgun, this looks like a great opportunity.

It doesn't relate to me though, so I can either ignore it, or click the plus icon to give it green.

Just my two cents, since you asked.

Well said, Bfrik!!

We originally had been allowing a tangent conversation to develop here because it seemed like it was going to be harmless enough. However, it had begun to develop into more than we wanted. So, in order to prevent further issues, I have removed that entire conversation from this thread.

Why is this in Hot Deals when there is no info on how to actually get the deal?

VBMcGB said:   ...However, it had begun to develop into more than we wanted....Be"gun"? Very appropriate choice of words for this thread

20 gauge single shot? I think it would be better to give them a xx% off coupon towards a 12 gauge pump from the local gun store. ie. if the 20g would cost them 75% of the cost of the 12g, give them a 75% off coupon.

The link to the program is http://armedcitizenproject.org/

A word to those who can't use the deal, but appreciate the effort -- this program is funded in large part by donations from people like you. Feel free to join the organization or make a donation.

How do we know if we are eligible?

Slickone said:   20 gauge single shot? I think it would be better to give them a xx% off coupon towards a 12 gauge pump from the local gun store. ie. if the 20g would cost them 75% of the cost of the 12g, give them a 75% off coupon.

Looks like the first free shotguns where single shot.

But it looks like all the ones now are pump.

bfrik said:   chinh said:   What's the point of posting this on a website like this?

Because the beauty of a site like Fatwallet is this... When dealing with items and sometimes services that people are willing to buy, there are thousands of people that find awesome deals and post it for us to go through. Free items go in the Free forums, unless they are of a value greater than 10 dollars. Otherwise, post away here in Hot Deals.

The community benefit greatly from these posts, especially like someone like Butcherboy who posts a ton for us. There is a feedback system that allows us to critique these deals. If it is a "meh" deal, I can just ignore it. If it is a good deal, I give it green. If it is not a deal, I can give it red. These votes can get abused sometimes because of many different reasons. Political views, religious views, something doesn't have HDMI, or its not a crown vic. But, by the time the deals get reviewed by the community, they tend to supersede those votes. You can also comment away to further provide feedback. Most like to keep the commentary about the deal. Some like to insert funny and sarcastic comments, and others just overall hate. But again, the majority contribute beneficial feedback (even if it is just a chuckle).

Also, for most, a deal is a deal. I've seen deals go through and get thousands of views that are so specific to the target audience that you can start out by saying "Pretty much limited to..". Again, generally, I don't see where anyone at FW discriminates in the face of posting a deal. Like those deals that sometimes are "only" for that person who wears a 17 wide men's running shoe and they are the only ones left on a deal that is 95% off. I'll bet that targeted audience is way less than the targeted audience of this post.

I encourage you to read all of the post and supporting links if the deal looks like it may pertain to you. If not, you can and probably should just ignore the post. I'm not in the market for any type of gun whatsoever. But I like the words Free in a post that makes it to the front of Hot Deals. I read through everything and I see it looks legit. It does look free. So, for those who qualify, and do want a shotgun, this looks like a great opportunity.

It doesn't relate to me though, so I can either ignore it, or click the plus icon to give it green.

Just my two cents, since you asked.

Thank you,

Best comment of the year....

Well said! Thanks for the thoughtful remarks!

Shouldn't this be in the free forum?

what are the cities? (if they are listed in youtube, I can't watch that at work)

ganjagadget said:   Shouldn't this be in the free forum?

It's worth more than $10.

bfrik said:   chinh said:   What's the point of posting this on a website like this?

........These votes can get abused sometimes because of many different reasons. Political views, religious views, something doesn't have HDMI, or its not a crown vic.

The crown vic reference deserves its own special badge from Fatwallet!

Here is the website for the organization sponsoring this: http://armedcitizenproject.org/

Still not a lot of info on there though...

Dayum...after the "most excellent post evar" award bfrik gets (or should!), I think I'll just say -

AWESOME! That truly is the best post I have ever read on FWF, especially when replying to the type of post he did.

This is a great deal for those that qualify. How do you know if you qualify? Are you female, or look good in a dress? Are you a homeowner? Is your home in a high-crime area? Looks like you qualify, if this offer is on your city. There might be other qualifications or requirements, such as ability to legally own a firearm, so aquaint yourself with the particulars of the deal like you need to for any other deal you want to get in on.

[Q=ganjagadget;houldn't this be in the free forum?]

$200 value for free

Hopefully there's a gift certificate to a local firearm instruction or training course that goes along with these. It'd be just as noble to hand out free Nissan Versas to those in great need, but only if they had proper training on how to drive it (ie, had a license). Doing otherwise seems risky for both the giftee and their community, IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind! Looks like they do! Given "to citizens that can pass a background check, and that will take our safety, legal, and tactical training."

I believe these single mothers deserve more. They should have more powerful weapons than criminals. They all should be given machine guns.

I like guns, I like free, and I like butcherboys prolific deal postings. I even know a couple of people who might qualify for the deal if I could find any info. Where is the link for the deal? Who is the "seller"... a 29 year old grad student with a website? There is no hot deal to be found in this thread. Just links to huffpo, fox news youtubes, and a questionable site asking for donations. This is vaporware with a pro-gun slant. Political posts belong in other forums or at least should be left in discussions that might actually be deals like the AR and ammo threads My 2 cents.

why does this make me think of FAST and FURIOUS?

lexx said:   why does this make me think of FAST and FURIOUS?Because one of these things is not like the other.

naranja said:   I like guns, I like free, and I like butcherboys prolific deal postings. I even know a couple of people who might qualify for the deal if I could find any info. Where is the link for the deal? Who is the "seller"... a 29 year old grad student with a website? There is no hot deal to be found in this thread. Just links to huffpo, fox news youtubes, and a questionable site asking for donations. This is vaporware with a pro-gun slant. Political posts belong in other forums or at least should be left in discussions that might actually be deals like the AR and ammo threads My 2 cents.

I agree that this isn't a deal in the traditional sense.

However, the program is real, and they are putting real guns in the hands of real people
in the USA. It's a small program so far, but Wal-Mart didn't start out in six gajillion
stores, either. It looks like active programs are in Houston and Phoenix, with plans to
add Chicago and New York City soon, and a total of 15 cities by year-end.

Their web site is http://armedcitizenproject.org/ . Like the idea, but don't think they're
moving fast enough? Volunteer -- I'm sure they can use both time and money now.

I want to see if this will work for my daughter who lives in Baltimore. It seems like a great program to help those who need helping...SUPER GREEN

This guy was on Lock n Load Friday night. You can find the podcast here.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014