• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

picture
Disclaimer
Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Desktop External Drive $139.99 B&M & Online at Costco

I saw this at my local Costco store yesterday. Costco has the Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB Desktop external hard drive for $139.99 after instant $40 off ($179.99 - $40 = $139.99). Item # 695080. It's also available online for the same price shipped. Most states will pay sales tax.

http://www.costco.com/Seagate-Backup-Plus-4TB-Desktop-Drive.prod...

Not sure when exactly this coupon ends, but online, it's through 5/11. These are now probably all Seagate's 1TB X 4 platter 5900rpm design (ST4000DM000) rather than the prior 800GB X 5 platter 7200rpm design (ST4000DX000) they had back in February. The ones I saw were mostly Thailand made hard drives with case/accessories manufactured in China. You can still read the label on the bottom of the internal box that's covered.

Specifications:
Automatic Backup: Yes
Brand: Seagate
Cable Included: Yes
Hard Drive Size: 4 TB
Interface Standard: USB 3.0
Number of USB 2.0: 1
Number of USB 3.0: 1
Operating System: Windows & Mac
Power Source: USB
Type of Interfaces: USB
USB Ports: 3
Weight: 1.73 lb.
Width: 4.38 in.

Member Summary

Seagate Backup Plus 4TB
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I wouldn't generally trust my backups to Seagate, but that's still an awfully tempting price. Green all the same.

patricochet said:   I wouldn't generally trust my backups to Seagate, but that's still an awfully tempting price. Green all the same.

Yeah, well there's just soooo much to choose from these days <cough> Seagate or WD </cough>

Come on, man. I've been in the IT field for over 15 years. I have seen just as many Western Digital drives die. There is no perfect brand name out there. All of the smaller (or more failure-rate) companies are now gone. Seagate will have to be a name you're willing to sometimes accept. As with ANY drive, you're supposed to have full redundancy in some way or another.

If this drive is your "backup" drive, well, it's already assume it's redundant. If you're anything like me, you'd have a RAID setup and a backup drive. =)

g0dMAn said:   patricochet said:   I wouldn't generally trust my backups to Seagate, but that's still an awfully tempting price. Green all the same.

Yeah, well there's just soooo much to choose from these days <cough> Seagate or WD </cough>

Come on, man. I've been in the IT field for over 15 years. I have seen just as many Western Digital drives die. There is no perfect brand name out there. All of the smaller (or more failure-rate) companies are now gone. Seagate will have to be a name you're willing to sometimes accept. As with ANY drive, you're supposed to have full redundancy in some way or another.

If this drive is your "backup" drive, well, it's already assume it's redundant. If you're anything like me, you'd have a RAID setup and a backup drive. =)
Agreed. Redundancy seems like the better way to go than trying to find the most reliable hdd - they all eventually fail. I currently have my stuff backed on an internal hdd and an external hdd. My future plan is to set up a NAS, which I will set up to be backed up automatically onto AWS Glacier

g0dMAn said:   patricochet said:   I wouldn't generally trust my backups to Seagate, but that's still an awfully tempting price. Green all the same.

^^^This^^^this is so true, But remember raid is for protection against hard drive failure you still need backups in case of human error or something terrible like that.

There's another difference between Seagate & WD and that's the support. There have been more than a few comments here, Amazon, Newegg, and on the blogs about Seagate refusing to repair/replace dead or malfunctioning external drives even in the warranty period. They accept responsibility for only the enclosure and claim that the inner hdd is OEM and therefore the responsibility of the original seller, even though they manufactured the damn thing. (Here's where buying from Costco is a plus) That doesn't happen with WD. They seem to support their drives no matter what, and in some cases even out of warranty. If I want a Seagate external drive, I buy an internal drive and put it in my own enclosure. Despite my moniker, aggravation does have its price.

Why are folks so concern about hard disk failure? With 4TB at $139 each, just buy 2 and mirror them. I have 4 4-tb Seagate drives with no problems. All brands have problems... so just pick the ones that are on sale.

Personally, I've had a black WD 640GB drive develop bad blocks right out of the box and a external WD Elements portable drive that was DOA. Seagates have never failed me (yet).

Only problem I had with Seagate is they replace the drive for $9.99 if it fails under warranty but give refurbs which are no good.

sekharnet said:   Only problem I had with Seagate is they replace the drive for $9.99 if it fails under warranty but give refurbs which are no good.

Are you saying they give you a drive that's no good when you return yours under warranty or that giving you a refurb drive isn't a good thing? If its' the latter then one needs to remember that a "refurb" drive is in many cases better and more reliable than a non-refurb as it has been fully inspected vs. a drive that came off the lkine and was boxed up for sale. Depends on the company on how well they check/repair their refurbs. Unless you have some inner knowledge of Seagate's operations you probably know about as much as I do about how "good" their refubs are.

Seagate took over a month to ship me an RMA 3TB drive. They were out of stock.
But I had the same thing with WD taking over 3 months to replace a drive a few years ago.
With only two vendors left, sharply declining market, what do you expect?
Just buy lots of drives, and use redundancy. I'm a fan of RAID6 with at least one live spare.

My first big RAID was with 250GB drives in a RAID5 for around $250 each. So paying half that for drives with a shorter warranty is fine with me.
I just wish MDADM would go ahead with support for more than 2 parity drives.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014