• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
cribbed from EddyBear and Cookie21 from the other place...

REI.com has Vibram FiveFingers Men's KSO Trek Multisport Shoes - 2012 overstock for $30.83 with free in-store pick up, or get Free Shipping if you spend $50+. Thanks EddyBear

REI.com has Vibram FiveFingers Women's KSO Multisport Shoes - 2011 overstock for $29.93 with free in-store pick up, or get Free Shipping if you spend $50+. Thanks Cookie21

p.s. i don't think this is a repost of this thread. that one has limited size/color (brown 46 and 47 only) and look like they're a current year model, even though the pictures look exactly the same

REI
Need a REI coupon that earns 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

thanks

Those are some ugly-a*sed shoes

GreenTrash said:   Those are some ugly-a*sed shoes

i completely agree. but a lot of people swear by them. supposedly has good physiological benefits (recruiting long-forgotten stabilizers, better posture, etc.). and they're becoming increasingly popular in gyms in recent years.

a review from someone who also thinks they're ugly

Thanks OP.

Got 1 pair in black.

Thanks OP, I'm in! and green for you

As someone who has put in a few hundred miles on a pair of KSO's, let me chime in.

Pros:
Unique
I used to get knee pains, no more with the improved (in my opinion) minimalist running style
Cheap
Last a long time as there's no padding to wear our
THIN, so very light

Cons:
Unique (and ugly)
Unless you invest in injini (sp?) socks, you'll go without socks.. which can cause smells and/or blisters.. and even with the socks there's pressure point issues
Thin, so it can rip if you run on rocks
Thin, so if you do run on rocks, it hurts like crazy (this is specific to KSO's... I cannot speak for other Vibram variants)

I haven't used my vibrams in a long time.. have been using a couple of pairs of New Balance MR00's, mostly for the sock thing.. but may go with some new vibrams soon that have a bit more padding for rocks (I focus more on trail running now).

Yankees said:   GreenTrash said:   Those are some ugly-a*sed shoes

i completely agree. but a lot of people swear by them. supposedly has good physiological benefits (recruiting long-forgotten stabilizers, better posture, etc.). and they're becoming increasingly popular in gyms in recent years.

a review from someone who also think they're ugly

One of my brothers wear that style of shoes. They look really funny on him too....lol....

shizm said:   
Cons:
Unless you invest in injini (sp?) socks, you'll go without socks.. which can cause smells and/or blisters.. and even with the socks there's pressure point issues

yeah, i've heard the smell is the worst part of these things. The socks you're thinking of are Injinji. and they're also funky looking

speak of the devil

injinji socks 6 pack for $23 shipped

The fixed-opening, non-lace-up versions like this aren't so comfortable for people with high instep/top part of foot. And nearly impossible to get on. My daughter tried unsuccessfully to try some like this on, but loves the lace-up versions for casual wear. She's not a runner.

just picked this up. it's actually really comfortable for me. more so than the komodo sport ls that i got recently. it is ugly as sin though.

I have owned 3 pairs of Vibrams. All for different uses and occasions.

I am an avid Kayaker so these style of shoes are PERFECT. Getting them wet is no problem and I don't have to wear uncomfy stupid looking regular water shoes that provide little manueverability compared to Vibrams.

The shoes are not ugly, in general. Some of the colors Vibrams make are funky, but that is the same with any shoe company. Some shoes are just ugly. All my shoes look good with jeans/shorts or even pajamas. I stick with basic color schemes. I'm wearing my black ones in my buddies wedding, he also is wearing them.

The shoes will stink, but youíre not wearing any socks unless you buy the toe socks, which are not as comfy and do not provide you with the "barefoot feeling" vibrams provide you with. You can machine wash these, but not dry them. I wash mine every week or every two weeks and let them air dry overnight. Come clean easily and do not tear apart. These things are rugged, but yet small and thin.

Thin isnít a bad thing. Thatís what their made for. When putting a pair of these on, it literally feels like your barefoot, except stuff doesnít hurt as bad like rocks. Actually running on gravel doesnít hurt at all, but still grass is the best, the same with tennis shoes.

It will improve your posture, slightly, and with good form. My back when running used to be jacked up and my wife tells me all the time how I have straightened out. I also feel better running in these.

They are expensive, but worth every penny. The ones on sale here are good basic ones, though. Vibrams runs good deals come black Friday time though

You WILL get remarks when walking in the store or in public. Iíve had some good discussions with people about these shoes and have met some interesting people doing so. People freak out over these. It would be easy to sell these door to door I think. (Career change, anyone? Lol)

Also available at Woot for $27.99 + $5 shipping if those run out.
http://www.woot.com/#

Couldn't resist giving them a try at this price - yet another item I didn't know I needed...

I picked mine up. I was a little worried I picked them too large, but when I put weight on them, my foot fills them pretty well. They feel very comfortable - I don't wear real shoes much at all and have no tolerance for even mild discomfort. I thought the outside ankle might chafe, it seems high, but it's soft and doesn't chafe or anything.

I haven't put them to much work, just wearing them around the house a little so far. I may head out with them some today.

My wife mentioned similar style shoes at Costco yesterday for $25, but for just a little more, these seem better than trying a different brand there.

the price dropped to $23.73 (instant 20% off 1 item from REI outlet) if you wear a size 44, 45 or 46.

I have a pair of the Bikila.

I have to say that the only con is that they are so thin.
I used to have shin splints from running but not anymore.

I'd definitely recommend getting a pair of these.
I've had mine for a month now and wear them daily (I will walk and/or run in the morning every day -- 2 miles). When I walk, my heels are developing callouses that cover the entire heel. When I run, I can feel myself gripping better and being able to hop to the side as I'm running if I need to avoid a broken sidewalk section or something else.

I have yet to try these in the gym (and once I move, it might be even longer since my new apartment complex won't have a fitness center), but I do know a lot of people use them in the gym because they do help with your posture and do allow you to balance better because you're not relying on padding under your feet to give way.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014