6/3 Alaska cruise 7 day $199

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Here is a great deal on an Alaska cruise on Princess. This will not last long.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fast?deal=25490

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Kayk, you've been crapping my posts on Fatwallet Travel daily, for a long time now. Above, I provided a sample of inside... (more)

SinglePapa (May. 24, 2013 @ 8:00a) |

~$2400 for a family of 4, booked two cabins a balcony and a inside cabin, princes and the overall cruise experience was ... (more)

fatballet (Jun. 12, 2013 @ 8:13p) |

Qualitatively, this sure beats $798 for a family of 4 currently offered by NCL next month

SinglePapa (Jun. 14, 2013 @ 9:12p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Registration needed to see the deal.

Details

taxes? same charge for kids?

very good OP!
Of course, signing up for Vacations-To-Go is free and retail - and we only use V-T-G as a quick glance at some directions in seasonal pricing. The real inside rates are listed on Travel Agent newsletters, one of which is offered to T.A.'s by Princess. I posted one such letter last summer in now archived topic Cheap Alaskan Cruise. I bet that if retail offer this summer is $199, then Interline offer in that newsletter must be $99 or lower. So can someone finally come up with one of the T.A.'s letters or pricings? I've been asking membership here for 12 months to concentrate on that task

SinglePapa said:   very good OP!
Of course, signing up for Vacations-To-Go is free and retail - and we only use V-T-G as a quick glance at some directions in seasonal pricing. The real inside rates are listed on Travel Agent newsletters, one of which is offered to T.A.'s by Princess. I posted one such letter 2 summers ago in now archived topic Cheap Alaskan Cruise. I bet that if retail offer this summer is $199, then Interline offer in that newsletter must be $99 or lower. So can someone finally come up with one of the T.A.'s letters or pricings? I've been asking membership here for two years to concentrate on that task

Are those cruises open to the public? If agents get those, they will mark them anyway.

We went on this cruise last year.. Great price!

Highlights (shore excursions)
Deadliest Catch tour boat in Ketcikan (see them pull up crabs & under the sea wildlife
Halibut Fishing in Juneau (Send home halibut steaks you caught)
Driving the highway thru the Yukon. (Mile marker stops, all along the way to see hidden gems)

vickh said:   taxes? same charge for kids?

Includes port charges, but not gratuities etc.
3rd occupancy would probably be around $499 in same room as other 2 people
More than 3, I would get more rooms rather than upgrading to suite.

Great Price !

Remember it is not free to get from Anchorage to Whittier or to Seward (where other cruise lines leave from). Takes a couple of hours up to half a day.

For me an inside cabin (the cheapest one as mentioned here) is a must since the sun does not set until almost midnight in June.

Excellent price.

ljderm said:   Remember it is not free to get from Anchorage to Whittier or to Seward (where other cruise lines leave from). Takes a couple of hours up to half a day.

For me an inside cabin (the cheapest one as mentioned here) is a must since the sun does not set until almost midnight in June.

Excellent price.

In Alaska, I would want a balcony as you see a lot of glaciers narrated by guides.. Sure you can go up on deck, but then you are competing for rail space in a crowd.

You can rent a car (1-day) from Anchorage to Seward. I would recommend taking an extra day and doing that anyway, because there are some nice stops, including the wildlife refuge along that highway.

vickh said:   taxes? same charge for kids?

Try to get a cruise when school is in session. Nothing worse than a bunch of screaming kids whose parents let them run wild on the ship.

jeffc said:   SinglePapa said:   very good OP!
Of course, signing up for Vacations-To-Go is free and retail - and we only use V-T-G as a quick glance at some directions in seasonal pricing. The real inside rates are listed on Travel Agent newsletters, one of which is offered to T.A.'s by Princess. I posted one such letter 2 summers ago in now archived topic Cheap Alaskan Cruise. I bet that if retail offer this summer is $199, then Interline offer in that newsletter must be $99 or lower. So can someone finally come up with one of the T.A.'s letters or pricings? I've been asking membership here for two years to concentrate on that task

Are those cruises open to the public? If agents get those, they will mark them anyway.

You are on Fatwallet for goodness sake! What mark up? Just get me the price list, what is it military secret?? It's time for members to get a spine, when discussing travel price

Funny, I'm flying to Alaska this weekend and the airfare cost me much more than this.

So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!

pixiq said:   So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!

It's actually worse than that! You have to fly to Anchorage from NY. They take a train, shuttle bus or rent a car to get to the port (port is about 4-5 hours away from ANC). The cruise ends in Vancouver. They you will need to fly from Vancouver to NY. Or take a bus or train to Seattle where airfare is usually cheaper.

$648 total for 2 people inside cabin after you factor in taxes.

Inside cabins for 3+ people sold out - 2 is the maximum at the $199+tax price.

Travel agent rate (for travel agents only) is $249pp+tax for that same cabin

Szymon

beltme said:   pixiq said:   So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!

It's actually worse than that! You have to fly to Anchorage from NY. They take a train, shuttle bus or rent a car to get to the port (port is about 4-5 hours away from ANC). The cruise ends in Vancouver. They you will need to fly from Vancouver to NY. Or take a bus or train to Seattle where airfare is usually cheaper.
4-5 hours? No.
61 miles. 1.5 hours
http://goo.gl/maps/vP5IP

The newsletter I posted then included an alternative 14-day round trip cruise from Vancouver for $398.

Which of course is a hands down winner, as you don't need any Alaska airfare

beltme said:   So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!It's actually worse than that! You have to fly to Anchorage from NY. They take a train, shuttle bus or rent a car to get to the port (port is about 4-5 hours away from ANC). The cruise ends in Vancouver. They you will need to fly from Vancouver to NY. Or take a bus or train to Seattle where airfare is usually cheaper.

Princess has a shuttle from Anchorage to Whittier (~$55?) One way rental car Avis only, is about $250.. Avis drop off is on the grounds of the cruise terminal.

SinglePapa said:   The newsletter I posted then included an alternative 14-day round trip cruise from Vancouver for $398.

Which of course is a hands down winner, as you don't need any Alaska airfare
There is no point of posting that right now.
Red.

szymon said:   $648 total for 2 people inside cabin after you factor in taxes.

Inside cabins for 3+ people sold out - 2 is the maximum at the $199+tax price.

Travel agent rate (for travel agents only) is $249+tax for that same cabin

Szymon

Not only btw, it also allows any Interline family. But even if you have no Interline ID, it's then up to you to arrange it with your friendly agent - and be an associate on the trip. Not impossible at all, if you do inside things for him, he can do inside things for you.

But if you are just set on paying retail for everything - go ahead, ok price

Kayk, you never contributed anything to any deal - so keep your crayons to yourself. The point I made was for people (you are not included) to be aware of round-trip cruises that don't involve Alaska airfare

SinglePapa said:   Kayk, you never contributed anything to any deal - so keep your crayons to yourself. The point I made was for people (you are not included) to be aware of round-trip cruises that don't involve Alaska airfareTalk about current deals.. not deals that were there two years ago.
Talk about deals available to all, not deals that you get by doing favors for travel agents.

Now Szymon says this cruise is $125 this year - which stands to reason, as cruise prices are significantly lower right now than they were 2 years ago. It's likely then that the 14-nite round trip cruise price point is $250/person; and such cruise avoids the high cost of any air transfer to Alaska

Thx. So as far as I am concerned, we would need a recovery vaction after this is over! I'll pass beltme said:   pixiq said:   So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!

Open-jaw plane tickets from LAX-ANC/YVR-LAX currently show for $436 lowest departing June 2nd and returning June 11th. Tempting but I don't think we have any vacation time-off left anyway

pixiq said:   Thx. So as far as I am concerned, we would need a recovery vaction after this is over! I'll pass beltme said:   pixiq said:   So, do we have to go to Vancouver, BC, Canada(from NY) and the cruise start/end there!

lol... seems like a lot of shuffling, for sure. If it was a round-trip cruise to/from Vancouver, it might be even more tempting. As it is, it seems like it's a bit troublesome. Maybe not so much if you live in Washington or Alaska though.

Since the cruise ends in Vancouver, do you need a passport? Where could I find that info?

sauceyapple said:   Since the cruise ends in Vancouver, do you need a passport? Where could I find that info?

Text

Crap.

Would be better if the cruise started and ended in Seattle, just my two cents regarding flying.

"Passport requirements for U.S. citizens on Alaska cruises that begin or end in Canada:
US citizens cruising to Alaska on a ship that departs from or ends in Canada (e.g. Vancouver) will require a valid passport card or passport if they enter Canada by land or sea. US citizens cruising to Alaska that enter or depart Canada by air need a valid passport.
•Important Note: Canada has issued the following advisory for all U.S. citizens entering Canada. "Anyone with a criminal record (including a DWI charge) should contact the Canadian Embassy or nearest Consulate General before travel."

SinglePapa said:   Now Szymon says this cruise is $125 this year - which stands to reason, as cruise prices are significantly lower right now than they were 2 years ago. It's likely then that the 14-nite round trip cruise price point is $250/person; and such cruise avoids the high cost of any air transfer to Alaska

Sorry I may have been unclear. It's $249 per person not per cabin. So the sale price is cheaper than the travel agent rate.

Szymon

suderduperloo00p said:   Would be better if the cruise started and ended in Seattle, just my two cents regarding flying.Yeah, except if you do that, you're not going to get very far north and the cruise won't be nearly as interesting. You probably wouldn't even get to Glacier Bay National Park, which was the highlight of our cruise a couple of years ago.

robby69 said:   In Alaska, I would want a balcony as you see a lot of glaciers narrated by guides.. Sure you can go up on deck, but then you are competing for rail space in a crowd.When we did an Alaskan cruise on HAL a couple of years ago, they opened the front of the ship (the bow) for passengers to stand on. Great view while we were going thru the glaciers and it wasn't all that crowded. They even brought out hot soup and coffee for passengers. Of course, we did not have a balcony (but if we did, we only would have been able to see one side at a time, vs the front where we had a complete view).

szymon said:   SinglePapa said:   Now Szymon says this cruise is $125 this year - which stands to reason, as cruise prices are significantly lower right now than they were 2 years ago. It's likely then that the 14-nite round trip cruise price point is $250/person; and such cruise avoids the high cost of any air transfer to Alaska

Sorry I may have been unclear. It's $249 per person not per cabin. So the sale price is cheaper than the travel agent rate.

Szymon

What's the source of your $249/person pronouncement? Can you attach a letter?

This was last year's letter:
http://content.princess.com/pcyield/?wzBmNZ9wG57HpU6Pm5oP9chwfC2...

What's this year's?

SinglePapa said:   This was last year's letter:
http://content.princess.com/pcyield/?wzBmNZ9wG57HpU6Pm5oP9chwfC2...

What's this year's?

As has already been pointed out, that list of prices is for travel agents only. The general public is going to have a rather difficult time getting those prices, not to mention the fact that it's a year old.

Transportation costs are killer ... hence the reason for the prices. Some European cruises have low price points for the very same reason. You also can't forget that besides gratuities not being included, if you are going to pay to do anything but walk around by yourself once you are onshore. Some of the "recommended" Alaska excursions run over $200 apiece ... obviously you can choose not to do them, but at a late date most independent stuff that can be cheaper has already been booked up.

As has been pointed out:
1. Not only.
2. Last year, cruises were higher priced than this year.

The second item is easily observed, as last year the OP cruise was offered at best for $399 retail vs. $199 this year. And last year, there was no lower than $259 5-nite Bahamas cruise, offered last month retail for $159 (but same FWers, who never offered a better deal, did, as customary for them, red that topic out!)

As to the first item: read last year's topic to see a member here who actually inquired with Princess and was told by Princess that the price (in a newsletter for travel agent eyes only) does NOT apply to travel agents only. Most important: those readers who only want to pay prices posted for general public and nothing better, waste their time on Fatwallet. There is cruisecritic forum, with ten times the amount of details on any cruise. Why discuss common cruise details like the 40 posts above, on Fatwallet deals?? For the sole reason of discovering prices that are not offered to public, generally. Once we are on the subject of Princess, the all-important question is: who can provide the details of inside deals that Princess publishes (only they don't want YOU to see them) - as clear from my last-year's link

Skipping 28 Messages...
Qualitatively, this sure beats $798 for a family of 4 currently offered by NCL next month

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014