Flickr - Free 1TB for pictures

Archived From: Hot Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Flickr - Free 1TB for pictures

Free 1tb for pictures in full resolution! Pretty cool, hope this isn't a repost.

Flickr

Thanks to SD.

Member Summary

Flickr
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Videos are limited to 3 minutes.

FatMember (May. 23, 2013 @ 2:27p) |

The Flickr mobile app doesn't automatically upload pics from your phone. G+, dropbox, Amazon, even Facebook all do that.... (more)

metsfan (May. 23, 2013 @ 2:43p) |

Interesting....thanks for the info guys. I'm going to play around with Flickr but maybe Google Drive is still the best c... (more)

FTTMN (May. 23, 2013 @ 4:33p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP

stopped using it a long time ago because they kept converting images to jpeg

I was prompted to create an account because of this (thanks OP!). I thought I would use it primarily as a backup location, as well as a way to get photos to people when I want. Unfortunately, they only allow uploads in 200 photo batches. I have nearly 50k photos, so this method won't work for me.

Is there a way to get many gigs of photos into Flickr in one step? For the convenience, I wouldn't even mind paying for that functionality.

Thanks Marissa.
@Shahnm- don't be so greedy. If you need to backup 50k photo, there is decent chance that 40k of that are borderline useless. Why not clean up your collection at this point and keep the keepers.

thanks OP

does anyone know how much it is to renew it the following year? I was paying $50 /year to Flickr until I discoverd Picasa (now part of google drive). Imo, Picasa is a much better product if you just want to store your photos. Flickr is aimed at photographers though it's not quite as good as some other sites pro photographers use.

Can I hide my Flickr pictures so no one can see them? Or am I subjecting my kids to douchy comments from total strangers on a "Web 2.0" website?

Flickr has always been generous when it comes to uploading. But getting your pictures back out at full size has been the problem. Has this been resolved? Or do they still make you pay to get full resolution pictures back?

Until they do, it's a great sharing platform but rather useless as a personal archive.

cyfan said:   Can I hide my Flickr pictures so no one can see them? Or am I subjecting my kids to douchy comments from total strangers on a "Web 2.0" website?

Yes you can.

shahnm said:   , they only allow uploads in 200 photo batches. I have nearly 50k photos, so this method won't work for me.

Is there a way to get many gigs of photos into Flickr in one step?
I have to think that someone will come up with a program that will handle batch processing, point them at a directory on your puter, point them at your Flickr acct, turn it on and let it rip.

Myself, I can't help but wonder if .mp3 files (or any other .ext files) could be batch renamed to .jpg files and then uploaded and stored. A terabyte of free storage -- for any file you throw at it -- that would rock.

Good news, thanks

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   shahnm said:   , they only allow uploads in 200 photo batches. I have nearly 50k photos, so this method won't work for me.

I have to think that someone will come up with a program that will handle batch processing, point them at a directory on your puter, point them at your Flickr acct, turn it on and let it rip.

Myself, I can't help but wonder if .mp3 files (or any other .ext files) could be batch renamed to .jpg files and then uploaded and stored. A terabyte of free storage -- for any file you throw at it -- that would rock.

tried on a .gz file and it didn't work... flickr detected the 'pic' file is invalid, and must be deleted

but if you really insist, you can actually "embed" any file into a pic, no?

http://lifehacker.com/282119/hide-files-inside-of-jpeg-images

sensia said:   Thanks Marissa.
@Shahnm- don't be so greedy. If you need to backup 50k photo, there is decent chance that 40k of that are borderline useless. Why not clean up your collection at this point and keep the keepers.

I'm "greedy" because I want to use the allotted space to legitimately store photos?

While I almost always appreciate the judgmental ranting of a narrow minded idiot, in this case I'll have to take exception. These are almost all photos of my kids. They're priceless.

Whose selling all the harddrives to Google/Apple/Flickr/dropbox/Adobe etc. I can't imagine formatting and installing these drives by the truckload!!!

tafandi said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   shahnm said:   , they only allow uploads in 200 photo batches. I have nearly 50k photos, so this method won't work for me.

tried on a .gz file and it didn't work... flickr detected the 'pic' file is invalid, and must be deleted

Cool! So now I've got to put together a program to put 35 gig of mp3 files inside of photos -- which could actually each be named the title of the song I suppose, though it's a picture of an apple or a moose or whatever -- and then create a batch program to upload them, 200 at a time, to Flickr, or, er, um, erm ... I supposed I *could* just forget about it, and keep on using the free storage from MS and all the other sites, same as I've been doing for years now ...

thanks, I've had an account but never used it until now.

apkesh said:   does anyone know how much it is to renew it the following year? I was paying $50 /year to Flickr until I discoverd Picasa (now part of google drive). Imo, Picasa is a much better product if you just want to store your photos. Flickr is aimed at photographers though it's not quite as good as some other sites pro photographers use.

is the 1TB free for after one year? also, can you download the pictures in full resolution for free?

AusTex Deal Seeker said:   tafandi said:   AusTex Deal Seeker said:   shahnm said:   , they only allow uploads in 200 photo batches. I have nearly 50k photos, so this method won't work for me.

Cool! So now I've got to put together a program to put 35 gig of mp3 files inside of photos -- which could actually each be named the title of the song I suppose, though it's a picture of an apple or a moose or whatever -- and then create a batch program to upload them, 200 at a time, to Flickr, or, er, um, erm ... I supposed I *could* just forget about it, and keep on using the free storage from MS and all the other sites, same as I've been doing for years now ...

The 1TB of offsite backup space is a compelling reason when compared to the whopping 10-15GB MS and Google will grace you with.

enc0re said:   Flickr has always been generous when it comes to uploading. But getting your pictures back out at full size has been the problem. Has this been resolved? Or do they still make you pay to get full resolution pictures back?

Until they do, it's a great sharing platform but rather useless as a personal archive.

Answers Here: http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150485569 (Pssst ... it IS free!)

Thank you so much OP

invisible said:   enc0re said:   Flickr has always been generous when it comes to uploading. But getting your pictures back out at full size has been the problem. Has this been resolved? Or do they still make you pay to get full resolution pictures back?

Answers Here: http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150485569 (Pssst ... it IS free!)

That's great news! So they are discontinuing the 'pro' level altogether. I dare say with one move Flickr has just become the most compelling online photo service. Time to dust off my old account.

The 300MB/month limit seems to still be in effect, as having it waived is listed as a feature of the former pro accounts but not as a feature of the new free accounts. It's a still a form of lock in because it will take you a while to get your stuff out if you want to switch. But as long as they aren't being real bastards and reintroducing 'pay to get your pictures back' while holding you to the download quota, we should be fine.

I don't know how to get the 1 terabyte. Is there a link I am missing?

damn.. i love free

rhetarae said:   I don't know how to get the 1 terabyte. Is there a link I am missing?

free 1TB for all.

enc0re said:   invisible said:   enc0re said:   Flickr has always been generous when it comes to uploading. But getting your pictures back out at full size has been the problem. Has this been resolved? Or do they still make you pay to get full resolution pictures back?

That's great news! So they are discontinuing the 'pro' level altogether. I dare say with one move Flickr has just become the most compelling online photo service. Time to dust off my old account.

The 300MB/month limit seems to still be in effect, as having it waived is listed as a feature of the former pro accounts but not as a feature of the new free accounts. It's a still a form of lock in because it will take you a while to get your stuff out if you want to switch. But as long as they aren't being real bastards and reintroducing 'pay to get your pictures back' while holding you to the download quota, we should be fine.

I did a quick check after the initial post and couldn't find my photos on Flickr. They probably got rid of them because I refused to pay for an account that was initially free. Oh well, such is life.

Thanks HiFideal

Thanks OP. I signed up and plan to try it out versus using google drive. Anyone have an opinion on their experience using Flickr vs Google Drive vs dropbox for only photos and videos. This seems like a no braining given the 1TB versus 15gb....

FTTMN said:   Thanks OP. I signed up and plan to try it out versus using google drive. Anyone have an opinion on their experience using Flickr vs Google Drive vs dropbox for only photos and videos. This seems like a no braining given the 1TB versus 15gb....
Videos are limited to 3 minutes.

FTTMN said:   Thanks OP. I signed up and plan to try it out versus using google drive. Anyone have an opinion on their experience using Flickr vs Google Drive vs dropbox for only photos and videos. This seems like a no braining given the 1TB versus 15gb....

The Flickr mobile app doesn't automatically upload pics from your phone. G+, dropbox, Amazon, even Facebook all do that. There are some third party apps for Android (maybe iOS, I haven't looked) that claim to, but I haven't found any of them to work terribly well. Until Flickr has that feature, it's still not as useful. There's also no good way to upload all existing pics from my phone without selected them all one by one. No "select all" option.

Interesting....thanks for the info guys. I'm going to play around with Flickr but maybe Google Drive is still the best current free solution....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014