• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
What the heck...they have nationwide coverage but I can't order the phone for anywhere in CA, NV or OR where I could potentially have the phone sent. Anybody have a way around this?

DirtCheapDad said:   What the heck...they have nationwide coverage but I can't order the phone for anywhere in CA, NV or OR where I could potentially have the phone sent. Anybody have a way around this?

Edit: Okay, I found stores in my area and plugged in the zip code for the store, but here is what you find out:
Phone: $30
Plan: $65 (must put their most expensive unlimited talk/text + 2GB plan on the phone)
Extra: $35 "device activation" that will be paid in your first bill.

I'm confused by the notice about the device activation charge.

I was thinking of getting this phone to run on Page Plus, hoping that it could be flashed or simply activated since it's a no-contract phone. Anybody have ideas about popping this phone onto Verizon's network through Page Plus?

TrueKnight said:   tooloud said:   I have this phone and absolutely hate it, mostly because it's still running Gingerbread software. I could update it to ICS but I would lose the one redeeming quality of this phone running on USCC--the hotspot feature is completely unlocked so you don't have to pay for it. I'm assuming they're all like that but once you upgrade the Android software, it will be locked.

uhm... upgrade, root, unlock?

That's what I do too (xda).. But for my friends who aren't into that, I tell them to give holo launcher a shot. It makes it look like ICS.

DUP delete

can use with other carriers?

"Applicable Smartphone Data Plan required. New 2 yr. agmt. and $35 act. fee apply"

What parts of TX are they in?

Can this be Flashed to PagePlus?

vickh said:   "Applicable Smartphone Data Plan required. New 2 yr. agmt. and $35 act. fee apply"

What parts of TX are they in?

Looks like Wichita Falls and a bit west and south of there. No DFW, Austin, San Antonio or Houston. Goes west of Wichita Falls but not as far as Lubbock.

link

Edit: Click link for U.S. Cellular Licensed Markets on page.

MO

DirtCheapDad said:   DirtCheapDad said:   What the heck...they have nationwide coverage but I can't order the phone for anywhere in CA, NV or OR where I could potentially have the phone sent. Anybody have a way around this?

Edit: Okay, I found stores in my area and plugged in the zip code for the store, but here is what you find out:
Phone: $30
Plan: $65 (must put their most expensive unlimited talk/text + 2GB plan on the phone)
Extra: $35 "device activation" that will be paid in your first bill.

I'm confused by the notice about the device activation charge.

I was thinking of getting this phone to run on Page Plus, hoping that it could be flashed or simply activated since it's a no-contract phone. Anybody have ideas about popping this phone onto Verizon's network through Page Plus?

"Device Activation Fee: A one-time $35 device activation fee for each device will appear on your first monthly bill (excludes Prepaid). It is not a recurring charge and will not be included as part of your total due today at checkout."

mrstangblb said:   This deal is incredibly good if you are in US Cellular's coverage area: get a Samsung Galaxy SII (CDMA version) for only $94.86 with NO CONTRACT plus taxes. Saw this on SD and figured I'd pass the word along.

You have to be in their coverage area because they will not ship it if not (believe me, I tried). This phone will only have 3G data, but for anybody that wants a really good older phone with excellent features, this ought to be the deal for you!

This deal gives you a month of prepaid access for $65, and then you are not eligible for any other payment.

They are out of S2's per link...darn. j

nonblonde10 said:   They are out of S2's per link...darn. j

Shows in stock when I click.

What link are you using? When I click on Mrstangblb where it is highlighted and speaks of "CDMA only Galaxy s2" I go to US .Cellular. Once there I click on phones and no show. I also did a search by zip code after and nothing. Can you highlight the URL or? ?? HELP

nonblonde10 said:   What link are you using? When I click on Mrstangblb where it is highlighted and speaks of "CDMA only Galaxy s2" I go to US .Cellular. Once there I click on phones and no show. I also did a search by zip code after and nothing. Can you highlight the URL or? ?? HELP

I used the same link as you, which is this one: http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhoneDetail...

US Cellular just happens to have service in my area.

I chatted with one of the US Cellular employees since I'm not up on flashing phones, and their response about flashing this phone to Page Plus was that technically it wasn't legal. US Cellular would not allow a flashed phone on their network whatsoever, no matter what kind of phone it is, either.

mrstangblb said:   I chatted with one of the US Cellular employees since I'm not up on flashing phones, and their response about flashing this phone to Page Plus was that technically it wasn't legal. US Cellular would not allow a flashed phone on their network whatsoever, no matter what kind of phone it is, either.

Law applies to "contract" phones?

horizon6 said:   mrstangblb said:   I chatted with one of the US Cellular employees since I'm not up on flashing phones, and their response about flashing this phone to Page Plus was that technically it wasn't legal. US Cellular would not allow a flashed phone on their network whatsoever, no matter what kind of phone it is, either.

Law applies to "contract" phones?

Interesting article!

Laker312 said:   Can this be Flashed to PagePlus?

I had an online chat with remoteflash.net and they said they can flash this phone to PagePlus.

Yes it can be flashed to several other carriers. Use your first month and then move it along if you so desire.

Why do they only offer it in certain areas?

So I can buy some and resell them on eBay.

Hhoudini said:   So I can buy some and resell them on eBay.

Resale is a whole different game. Legally, your personal ability to unlock a phone likely falls under fair use. Commercially doing it may breach DMCA.

I've had lawyers threaten me for saying that opinion, seriously... but I've had many more attorneys tell me it's damn right on.

Thanks OP, nice upgrade at dirt cheap price...this will replace my galaxy S on PagePlus

TrueKnight said:   tooloud said:   I have this phone and absolutely hate it, mostly because it's still running Gingerbread software. I could update it to ICS but I would lose the one redeeming quality of this phone running on USCC--the hotspot feature is completely unlocked so you don't have to pay for it. I'm assuming they're all like that but once you upgrade the Android software, it will be locked.

Um...corporate phone, not allowed?

SecondGunman said:   TrueKnight said:   tooloud said:   I have this phone and absolutely hate it, mostly because it's still running Gingerbread software. I could update it to ICS but I would lose the one redeeming quality of this phone running on USCC--the hotspot feature is completely unlocked so you don't have to pay for it. I'm assuming they're all like that but once you upgrade the Android software, it will be locked.

FoxFi?

Tried FoxFi. Blocked by USCC.

Can you make this phone work with T-mobil? Thanks

This is CDMA, not for ATT and tmobile. Any one know how to flash this to page plus? Never flash a phone before.

Ordered...we'll see if they ship. I used a store zip code initially, went through the order using my real address/zip code for shipping & billing, and near the very end it rejected based on zip code. I clicked option link to edit the address, just tried changing the zip code and resubmitting, and it accepted. Funny thing was it put back my original zip code into the final order, so it's a big guess whether or not they'll actually process the transaction.

On another note, my Page Plus account runs for another 45 days, so I'm thinking of not activating this phone on US Cellular until then. Anybody know when the 30 days prepaid already setup on the phone starts? Does it work like a PIN with other pre-paid companies and start when you apply it?

kuctoo said:   This is CDMA, not for ATT and tmobile. Any one know how to flash this to page plus? Never flash a phone before.

Even though US Cellular is kind of under Verizon, I don't think it will work out of the box with Page Plus. I'm planning on flashing mine to Page Plus eventually too, and most likely you just need to flash to Verizon, then it will activate on Page Plus just fine. Technically Page Plus doesn't have their own ROM since any clear ESN Verizon compatible phone should work (apart from iPhone and maybe Blackberry)

As for how...just do some Google searching. Lot's of how-to's out there, just following the above that you'll probably need to get a Verizon ROM for Page Plus. You'll need a computer, some (usually free) software, and the ROM you want to flash to. Just make certain it's fully compatible with the phone version (apparently there is an international version of the S2 as well that is distinct).

I posted this on Slickdeals and CheapAssGamer.

Essentially, there is a workaround to getting it to work with addresses outside of their coverage area, but it requires the perfect conversation and the perfect representative. I was lucky after about 7 reps.

DirtCheapDad said:   What the heck...they have nationwide coverage but I can't order the phone for anywhere in CA, NV or OR where I could potentially have the phone sent. Anybody have a way around this?
Shipito (who I'm assuming is the shipping carrier you are using based off of those locations) will do it through their assisted purchasing program, but it'll cost a little extra.

If someone doesn't want to pay this much, I have an HTC One V that's new in the box from the Radio Shack black friday sale that was $50 + tax, if someone wants to trade + me pay the difference. It's Virgin Mobile (Sprint) but many people were flashing them to Page Plus (Verizon).

OOS....

The deal is now dead. The next best thing is the Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II deal for $199.99, and it's the better version because it has WiMax, I think.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014