• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples currently has a sale going on with this tablet. It has an instant savings of $120 then you can tack on the $100 off Windows tablet coupon from the Staples website. Bringing the total to $399.99.

After research, this is one of the "PREMIUM" Windows 8 tablet that can hang w/the Surface Pro. The other Windows 8 tablet that I looked into was the Dell Latitude 10.1 and Asus Vivotab Smart which both run WINDOWS 8 too. But for the price on the Dell and Vivotab, I rather get the Samsung. More bang for the buck (i.e. stylus pen, larger screen, better cameras) Check out the other threads on deals for the optional keyboard that goes with it.

Member Summary

SAMSUNG ATIV SMART PC 500T
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It seems to fit what I need, a replacement for my old Averatec laptop.
I loved the portability, but time and OS bloat put... (more)

sixt7gt350 (May. 27, 2013 @ 6:41a) |

its sold out already

bk1973 (May. 27, 2013 @ 8:05a) |

I think for those that wanted a "hybrid" between a laptop and tablet, this Samsung Ativ Smart is a good middle point. T... (more)

advan24r (May. 29, 2013 @ 5:31p) |

For those that are geeks, this model 500T has the Atom processor which is the Windows 8 OS and NOT RT which is more limited. Also, benchmarks on this Samsung ranks higher than the Dell and Asus. Very similar to the Surface Pro but half the cost.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have this tablet and like it very much. Windows 8 finally made sense when I started using it on a tablet. Op said this "can hang w/the Surface Pro" just remember this has an atom processor and not the i5 of the surface pro.
That being said it is still fast enough for most of what i do with at laptop/tablet, runs office quite well and plays movies. the screen is also not full hd but is still quite nice and I find it bright enough for most situations. One this this tablet has is a full size usb port which I have used more than I thought I would at first. overall i like this tablet very much and just wish i could have waited for it to drop to the price above.

Hmm, may be in. Don't mind the Atom - in fact, I prefer it for the extra battery life.

Thanks OP!

Edit: I reserved one and a keyboard dock in store...may run out later and pick up or tomorrow.

Question: both of the discounts "expire" tomorrow. Does this mean I can pick up tomorrow at the sale price, or does "expires on 5/25" mean the discounts will not be available on 5/25? It's ambiguous.

coolbreeze said:   Hmm, may be in. Don't mind the Atom - in fact, I prefer it for the extra battery life.

Thanks OP!

Edit: I reserved one and a keyboard dock in store...may run out later and pick up or tomorrow.

Question: both of the discounts "expire" tomorrow. Does this mean I can pick up tomorrow at the sale price, or does "expires on 5/25" mean the discounts will not be available on 5/25? It's ambiguous.

it will expires tomorrow end of day. If you pickup tomorrow, the price should still be in effect.

Lenovo Tablet
Disclaimer
Providing that the $100 off Windows 8 tablet expires on 5/27/2013. Starting Sunday 5/26/2013, Staples has the Lenovo Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011 11.6 Tablet, 64GB Item: 108514 Model: 59343251 on sale for $399 - $100 coupon can bring the tablet to $299. Same windows 8 tablet. The only difference is you probably don't get the reliability of Samsung product.

HKSturboKid said:   coolbreeze said:   Hmm, may be in. Don't mind the Atom - in fact, I prefer it for the extra battery life.

Thanks OP!

it will expires tomorrow end of day. If you pickup tomorrow, the price should still be in effect.

Thanks. I got there at 6:59pm (they close at 7) and they wouldn't let me in. Called them and the guy said sorry. I was standing at the door and saw him look at me while he picked up my phone call.

I'm out. It was an impulse buy anyway. I told him they can just keep it (I have it held for puckup). I will just let them hang and wait on the 3-day pickup window to expire.

Lazy jerks.

coolbreeze said:   Thanks. I got there at 6:59pm (they close at 7) and they wouldn't let me in.
Lazy jerks.

Someone was lazy, but I don't think that it was the Staple's staff...

Ouch. NM.

cattlet said:   coolbreeze said:   HKSturboKid said:   coolbreeze said:   Hmm, may be in. Don't mind the Atom - in fact, I prefer it for the extra battery life.

Thanks OP!

Thanks. I got there at 6:59pm (they close at 7) and they wouldn't let me in. Called them and the guy said sorry. I was standing at the door and saw him look at me while he picked up my phone call.

I'm out. It was an impulse buy anyway. I told him they can just keep it (I have it held for puckup). I will just let them hang and wait on the 3-day pickup window to expire.

Lazy jerks.
They're probably waiting at the store for your appearance. You're too cruel.

VirtuaL said:   
coolbreeze said:   Thanks. I got there at 6:59pm (they close at 7) and they wouldn't let me in.
Lazy jerks.

Lol, no. I sped over with a sense of urgency, arrived prior to their posted closing time and they decided to not let me in. 6:59 does not equal 7:00. They were still open but just wanted to close up shop and go home during business hours. The icing on the cake was calling and speaking with them while standing at the door while they stared at me as we talked. That's the definition of lazy. I recieved the email that said my item was picked and ready for me to come by and purchase. Got the email at 6:41pm and left immediately. They had it right up front and all they had to do was ring me up during business hours, which was the scenario.

No big deal, now that I've slept on it I'm over it. Fine by me.

It is horrible to shut the door in a customer's face.

got one of these on the last Staples sale - the atom processor is much better than that of the old days - really does run everything except games pretty decently, and with lots of battery life to boot

VirtuaL said:   coolbreeze said:   Thanks. I got there at 6:59pm (they close at 7) and they wouldn't let me in.
Lazy jerks.

If I were the owner of the store, I would have a serious talk with any employee that shuts the door on a customer who was simply trying to pick up an order. As the owner, my goal is to sell products to make a profit, the fact that I have to hire employees is a necessary means to an end and if the employees actively thwart my efforts to make a profit, they should find employment elsewhere.

Yes, the customer *should* respect the hours of operation, but I've had cases where stores still had customers inside and have locked me out when I was just picking something up and it was actually a couple of minutes *before* closing time. I've had others (like Microcenter) that won't even mention to the customer that the store is closed for up to an hour *after* closing time! At any rate, some stores/employees seem far more concerned with enforcing arbitrary business hours than serving their customers.

HKSturboKid said:   Providing that the $100 off Windows 8 tablet expires on 5/27/2013. Starting Sunday 5/26/2013, Staples has the Lenovo Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011 11.6 Tablet, 64GB Item: 108514 Model: 59343251 on sale for $399 - $100 coupon can bring the tablet to $299. Same windows 8 tablet. The only difference is you probably don't get the reliability of Samsung product.
For the Lenovo Lynx K3011, I find it is listed as $349. Where is your $300 number from?

Comes with Windows 8 pro. That's a great deal! So much better than iPads, not just to play games.

Has to be the worst experience ever, store door locked in my face. I was trying to buy concert tix at a small local business. They had 2 minutes until closing time, as I approached the door the employee dashed over & locked it. I never went back. I love shopping local & want to be loved back?

I think we've all arrived at a store too late and had the door closed and locked. But it's understandable that an employee doesn't want to start a transaction at 6:59pm when the customer isn't even in the building... right? I mean as simple as any purchase sounds at Staples, these store pickups are not exactly a fast transaction. It's not like the item is already waiting for you at the counter. They have to retrieve it, they have to take forever entering things into the register, ask you if you want the extended protection a few times, etc. The process of checking out from a store pickup takes a minimum of 10 minutes because everything in the retail world is so slow.

advan24r said:   Staples currently has a sale going on with this tablet. It has an instant savings of $120 then you can tack on the $100 off Windows tablet coupon from the Staples website. Bringing the total to $399.99.

After research, this is one of the "PREMIUM" Windows 8 tablet that can hang w/the Surface Pro. The other Windows 8 tablet that I looked into was the Dell Latitude 10.1 and Asus Vivotab Smart which both run WINDOWS 8 too. But for the price on the Dell and Vivotab, I rather get the Samsung. More bang for the buck (i.e. stylus pen, larger screen, better cameras) Check out the other threads on deals for the optional keyboard that goes with it.

The Dell latitude has some significant benefits over the ATIV as well. The smaller screen makes it much easier to hold. The screen is an IPS screen with better colors. The Latitude has a removable battery like a laptop. It can also be less expensive. I picked up a Latitude with a stylus for $350 from Dell outlet.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   I think we've all arrived at a store too late and had the door closed and locked. But it's understandable that an employee doesn't want to start a transaction at 6:59pm when the customer isn't even in the building... right? I mean as simple as any purchase sounds at Staples, these store pickups are not exactly a fast transaction. It's not like the item is already waiting for you at the counter. They have to retrieve it, they have to take forever entering things into the register, ask you if you want the extended protection a few times, etc. The process of checking out from a store pickup takes a minimum of 10 minutes because everything in the retail world is so slow.

Regardless, it's still bad customer service.

twinclouds said:   HKSturboKid said:   Providing that the $100 off Windows 8 tablet expires on 5/27/2013. Starting Sunday 5/26/2013, Staples has the Lenovo Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx K3011 11.6 Tablet, 64GB Item: 108514 Model: 59343251 on sale for $399 - $100 coupon can bring the tablet to $299. Same windows 8 tablet. The only difference is you probably don't get the reliability of Samsung product.
For the Lenovo Lynx K3011, I find it is listed as $349. Where is your $300 number from?

The sale price starts tomorrow. However, I was at Staples today and they actually advertised Lenovo at the $399 price. I purchased the Samsung instead for the digitizer for notes taking.

Turned it on and went straight for the recommended update. Took a few hours. Finally get to use it. Will report back with more review later.

jasonatq1520radiocom said:   I think we've all arrived at a store too late and had the door closed and locked. But it's understandable that an employee doesn't want to start a transaction at 6:59pm when the customer isn't even in the building... right? I mean as simple as any purchase sounds at Staples, these store pickups are not exactly a fast transaction. It's not like the item is already waiting for you at the counter. They have to retrieve it, they have to take forever entering things into the register, ask you if you want the extended protection a few times, etc. The process of checking out from a store pickup takes a minimum of 10 minutes because everything in the retail world is so slow.

Are you serious? If using credit, I've had transactions literally take less than a minute. As I stated earlier, the store is in business to sell things not provide jobs to employees not willing to take a transaction near closing time just because they want to get home a few moments earlier. However, if you go in at closing expecting to browse, you're just being rude.

Heads up, this is not the Surface Pro equivalent, that would be the Samsung ATIV 700t with an i5. The 500t is Atom capped at 2gb RAM.

nhokt said:   Heads up, this is not the Surface Pro equivalent, that would be the Samsung ATIV 700t with an i5. The 500t is Atom capped at 2gb RAM.

Yeah, not an equivalent to a $1000 machine by any stretch, rather a "poor man's Surface." At $399, there are compromises.

where do i get the $100 off windows 8 coupon?

nortotron said:   where do i get the $100 off windows 8 coupon?
http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/coupons/

The $120 instant savings sale ends when your store closes tonight, so if you want one at $399, better print and go quickly. And hope they let you in if it's close to closing time.

fr said:   It is horrible to shut the door in a customer's face.Even worse, this was an impulse buy for him. Closing the door in his face, and taking his phone call as he stood outside, forced a delay that allowed him to get over the rush of adrenaline. So Staples lost the sale for good, and maybe a customer as well. Staples pisses me off enough with their flaky and changing policies from one store to the next for honoring coupons. Things like this reinforce the image that they really don't want customers to enjoy shopping there and they don't need your business. Must be nice for the company to be rolling in cash so they can tell customers to take a hike.

Basic retail/hospitality management 101 is to stay open AT LEAST 5 minutes past your closing time - to account for customers running late or clocks that are a minute or two off.

If a store(s) doesn't want to ring customers up near, at, or slightly after their stated closing time, they should adjust their closing time back 15 minutes and then at closing time, state that customers have 15 minutes to check out. All well-managed retail stores will allow customers to browse a few minutes after closing, and certainly have no problems ringing up a customer after closing. Ever been in a grocery store at closing time? They don't just power the registers off and let the customers that haven't been rung up yet just abandon their carts and go home. It's throwing money away, and more importantly, creating a very negative impression on the customer.

I think the employees just want to go home lol

Skip the keyboard on this thing - it is pretty low quality and in "laptop" mode it's not great at all (balance is terrible). We find that we only use ours as a tablet and as a desktop replacement (bluetooth keyboard and mouse, external monitor). For both of these use cases it's been a great machine for my spouse...

Alright, so I'm a sucker for a good deal. Even though I got shut out of Staple3 the other day, I went back on Saturday and bought one of these.

Returned it today.

Slow as hell, had 15gigs after my installs, and the screen was pretty poor. The guy was shocked I returned it, saying the sell a bunch of them. I believe it, but for my uses, it wasn't worth the $427 I paid.

The "reset and clean" function (for my return) took THREE HOURS to complete. Holy cow. Also the width of it is comical...the weight was a huge plus though. Just couldn't deal with the lagginess of the Atom. No, I wasn't trying to play Crysis. It lagged with normal use. Not good for half a grand (almost), IMO.

Sigh.

coolbreeze said:   Alright, so I'm a sucker for a good deal. Even though I got shut out of Staple3 the other day, I went back on Saturday and bought one of these.

Returned it today.

Slow as hell, had 15gigs after my installs, and the screen was pretty poor. The guy was shocked I returned it, saying the sell a bunch of them. I believe it, but for my uses, it wasn't worth the $427 I paid.

The "reset and clean" function (for my return) took THREE HOURS to complete. Holy cow. Also the width of it is comical...the weight was a huge plus though. Just couldn't deal with the lagginess of the Atom. No, I wasn't trying to play Crysis. It lagged with normal use. Not good for half a grand (almost), IMO.

Sigh.

These Atom processors are too slow IMO. But don't worry, the next generation of these with the "Bay Trail" processors will be twice as fast. They are set to start releasing in June. I am waiting for them to come out before pulling the trigger on a Win8 tablet.

coolbreeze said:   Alright, so I'm a sucker for a good deal. Even though I got shut out of Staple3 the other day, I went back on Saturday and bought one of these.

Returned it today.

Sigh.

LOL

Coolbreeze,

Same here buddy. I return mines as well. It took from 2-3 hours to run the Samsung update which hung a few times, and by the time that is done with a few app installs, the advertise 64GB went down to under 20gb. Added a few tile shortcuts and open a few windows and apps and you start to see the lags. So I decided to go to settings to run the restore. Started at 7:00pm and got dressed to get ready to go back to Staples. By 8:30pm, it only got up to 50% restore. So I figure it will have to wait till tomorrow.

When I return it, I was going to pickup the Note 8 or leaning toward the Note 10.1, but decided to wait a bit until there some kind of promotion.

It seems to fit what I need, a replacement for my old Averatec laptop.
I loved the portability, but time and OS bloat put even web browsing in the "get back with me after you've finished your tea" category.
It was also very loud and ran HOT.
Primary use was viewing/updating Excel/Word/Powerpoint on the road, plus maintaining communication back home and surfing from the hotel room.
Needing Excel was pushing me toward another laptop, having tried Android spreadsheets to great disappointment.

Enter the Win8 tablet.
I had a DVD playing via one USB port, pictures and movies from an external hard drive via another USB port, plus surfing the web.
I am pleased to report it handled all 3 tasks simultaneously.

The Samsung update app seemed to drag a bit, but once past that, things were running well.
No issues with Windows updates.
Norton went buh-bye immediately.
Added Chrome, VLC media player and Irfanview.
I don't like Win8's lack of a "close" button for apps.

its sold out already

I think for those that wanted a "hybrid" between a laptop and tablet, this Samsung Ativ Smart is a good middle point. The whole reason I bought this tablet was because my wife wanted to do some picture editing, use a word processor/excel. Her ipad (1) doesn't have that capability. Also at the same time, she also wanted to browse the internet. The samsung was nice because of the keyboard and also the stylus that was included. Not to mention, how often do you see a tablet w/a full usb slot where you can load pictures/programs, etc.

I do agree that the updates in the beginning was slow and it took a bulk of the free memory, but don't forget there's a microSD expansion slot where you can definitely put more memory in. Overall, I think it's the best Win8 tablet right now for the price. If the Surface Pro was in the same price range, I would most likely opt in for that but you can't complain for the price I paid. If you look on eBay, most used ones were selling for the same price that I bought it at for new. It was a WIN WIN situation for me. I also managed to get the keyboard accessory for $65 w/the 10% off coupon at Staples too.

Not to mention, it were these benchmarks that also influenced my decision

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Samsung-ATIV-Smart-PC-500T-Window...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014