rated:
Office Depot has this online at
$650 - $288

HP ElitePad 900 G1 D3H88UT
10.1" 32GB Slate
Net-tablet
PC - Wi-Fi -
Intel - Atom Z2760 1.8GHz

I ordered one since I had a $200 gift card to OD.
Will see how it performs. Any opinions?
Neil

Office Depot
See Office Depot promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

HP ElitePad 900
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HP
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Didn't HP skedaddle from the tablet market before, leaving customers with no support? Yeah, they did.

Well, to be fair, they didn't leave customers without support and they did in fact issue at least one update that I'm aware of. All this for a tablet that at the time of the fire sale was pretty top-notch as far as hardware and the WebOS operating system was pretty decent.

With that said, it was disappointing to see WebOS go from a decent alternative to the major operating systems to an unwanted step-child almost overnight. There are still things about WebOS that I wish Microsoft would incorporate into Windows Phone such as the swiping of apps off the screen to exit them. It makes it far easier than trying to use the backspace to "back" out of an application.

As far as this deal goes, it's pretty decent but with all the other tablets now settling down into the $300 price range, it's a little too little I think because there is really nothing to distinguish this tablet from all the others in this price range *except* that it runs full Windows. It's a decent deal though with a dual core processor and 2GB of memory and 32GB of storage, but it's not an IPS panel it's only 1280x800 and the online reviews on HP say that the accessories are hard to find (and expensive from what I've seen!)

The unit itself is decent at this price.

It's fine if all you need is touch and on-screen input. HOWEVER if you need like a sleeve with a keyboard and other ports? Prepare to shell out $200+ for the "Productive Sleeve with keyboard".

Sonofspam said:   Didn't HP skedaddle from the tablet market before, leaving customers with no support? Yeah, they did.

That was my thought exactly. They dumped all their tablets a while back.

I personally purchased 3 HP all in ones, only one still works. I won't be making that mistake again.

While HP did dump their WebOS tablets they've been making Windows slates and tablets for a while now for enterprise. HP enterprise kit is better-made than their consumer lines. This is a great price for this tablet - it's about $700 everywhere else - BUT as the 2nd gen Win8 tablets (Haswell CPU, 4G,4K display, >4GB RAM) come closer there are going to be A LOT of great deals on the 1st gen tablets.

The things I liked about the HP 900 series are the build quality, upgradeability and the 4G connectivity. These tablets have an aluminum back plate and volume rocker switch. While the battery life of the HP 900's is slightly less than the comparable Lenovo models the jacket for this (model without the keyboard) can take a 2nd battery that's about 80% as large as the one on the tablet giving you just under 12 hours of moderate usage. The docks and jackets also give full-size USB ports and other connectors. Many models of the HP 900-series tablet have HSPA+ connectivity built-in and come with 200mb of TMO data per month for the first year, but this one does not. If you like the HP 900 and can live with 2GB of RAM you may want to wait for the HSPA+ models to go on clearance. Most folks will want the 2nd gen.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014