• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
On sale at CowBoom right now for $69.99 (coupon code "PlayBook10" Exp 6/20) with free shipping - Link

Very thorough review and lot's of good info here

I have a Nexus 7 and prefer it, more apps, more customizable, better OS, CPU and screen. The Nexus is a great machine.

But this is a decent device. Has a front and back camera and a micro HDMI out, neither of which does my Nexus have. The bonus on this is the free wifi on Delta flights, and possibly all Gogo wifi flights (can someone chime in on this?). I fly a LOT. And for me, that benefit offers another $100 in value to this device for me. I'll go back to a pure Android tablet eventually, but for now this is a really useful device for me.

• 7" 1024x600 multi-touchscreen

• 1GHz dual-core processor w/ 1GB RAM

• 16GB internal storage

• 802.11n + bluetooth 5MP rear facing camera + 3MP front facing

• BlackBerry OS built-in support for HTML5 and Adobe Flash 10.1

I have one, and it's old kit with a funky OS, but it's not as bad a product as you would think. It has a pretty speedy dual-core CPU. Is VERY solidly built. The Blackberry app store has bare shelves, but if you have the know-how, you can side-load pretty much any android app for it (there's a whole community of saavy people at Crackberry). Blackberry released a 2.0 OS for it that improved the device tenfold. I don't know what mod ROM's are available for it, but if there's a CM10 port, it'll smoke. But my primary reason to buy one was for the free wifi, so a mod would kill that benefit. As I said, it's not my first choice, but I'd advise not to knock it until you try it. I had a Samsung Tab 2 for awhile and prefer this. The HDMI out and standard micro-USB port are important features for me in a tablet. And if you have a blackberry phone (I know, nobody does anymore), you can tether the tablet to it.

CowBoom
See CowBoom coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

16GB 7" PlayBook
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Because I like the hardware so much, I wish it it would be revived, but QNX is a very, very locked-down OS. That's what ... (more)

Klingsor (Jul. 01, 2013 @ 1:08p) |

For anyone who bought this with the wifi in mind; I just flew and the still got free wifi, though the promo ended a week... (more)

Klingsor (Jul. 07, 2013 @ 4:48p) |

Only an hour left but I just noticed All4Cellular has a NEW (but brown box packaging?) BB Playbook 16gb with Charging St... (more)

wfay (Jul. 11, 2013 @ 10:54p) |

RIM has announced that this device WILL NOT be upgraded to BlackBerry 10. Welcome to the world of failed RIM promises.
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › RIM
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

op please include preowned in the title....

and scratched !

Interesting deal. I have one too. For $70 it is a decent tablet for the kids - you can load up movies and music - but they will be annoyed when you can't find Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, LEGO Harry Potter, etc in the BB App Store. Sideload may solve that problem for some/many apps.

The free wifi if you are planning some Delta trips soon is great. I expect you could sell it locally for $50-70 in July after using the free wifi, if that was all you cared about.

I might get one for my 3 y/o at this price but he'll still want to play with the iPads and iPhones because of iOS-specific apps that we've got. I guess I need to check the Android store to see which of those might be available there.

RIM will be going to release an upgrade of BB10 for Playbook. I'd rather try brand new than this.

Used, old, AND a flop? Sounds like an awesome idea to buy one...

slickdeal45 said:   Used, old, AND a flop? Sounds like an awesome idea to buy one...

Your trolling is becoming legendary. (List of recent posts - mostly negative, pedestrian and uninformative)

If you have another option for a device that I can use to manage my accounting and calendar, to take in movies, books and music, but more importantly to get free wifi on airplanes for the 20+ days that I travel each month, for 3 months, I'm all ears.

Otherwise, since you're obviously not the least bit interested in this device, why do you bother trolling this post (and hundreds of other posts)? Just move on. Or consider that your time may be better spent contributing something to this community.

Hey, it's my opinion. Trolling is trying to incite a response, which is basically your entire post. I'm as entitled to my opinion, and sharing it, as you are of yours. Get over it.

Sold out.

wfay said:   Interesting deal. I have one too. For $70 it is a decent tablet for the kids - you can load up movies and music - but they will be annoyed when you can't find Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, LEGO Harry Potter, etc in the BB App Store. Sideload may solve that problem for some/many apps.

The free wifi if you are planning some Delta trips soon is great. I expect you could sell it locally for $50-70 in July after using the free wifi, if that was all you cared about.

I might get one for my 3 y/o at this price but he'll still want to play with the iPads and iPhones because of iOS-specific apps that we've got. I guess I need to check the Android store to see which of those might be available there.
Angry Birds and Cut the Rope have been on the Playbook for as long as I can remember, just not for free like on Android. Not so sure about the other ones you mentioned as I don't play too many games myself (even on Android), but there's definitely enough on there to entertain kids. There's a few really good titles that BB gave away for free on the Playbook as well like Need for Speed Undercover. Hardware's a bit dated, I must admit, but for the price, if I didn't already have a Playbook, I'd definitely get one now (provided the used ones from CowBoom aren't too banged up).

slickdeal45 said:   Used, old, AND a flop? Sounds like an awesome idea to buy one...Sales might have been a flop, but BlackBerry is STILL supporting and updating the OS on the Playbook. Contrast that with my (original) Galaxy Tab, bought around the same time as the Playbook, but NEVER once got a single software update from Samsung. I think you can see why people who paid $200 for a Playbook, back when that was an amazingly good deal, still think it's worth getting another one today.

FatWallEEE said:   slickdeal45 said:   Used, old, AND a flop? Sounds like an awesome idea to buy one...Sales might have been a flop, but BlackBerry is STILL supporting and updating the OS on the Playbook. Contrast that with my (original) Galaxy Tab, bought around the same time as the Playbook, but NEVER once got a single software update from Samsung. I think you can see why people who paid $200 for a Playbook, back when that was an amazingly good deal, still think it's worth getting another one today.

But it wasn't just a sales flop. This wasn't a case of right product, wrong time. Few apps and no future (BB has stated that they aren't doing another tablet) make this a poor choice.

If a person wants a throw away, even the cheap Chinese tablets are a better choice. Why? The apps you buy will be there when you want a much better experience.

Some of you seem very emotional about an unsuccessful product. Hey, that's great. Passion and all that. Nobody should buy one of these without having the whole picture, however. A Playbook is a dead end. That doesn't mean it can't be useful for something, but as a general use tablet? Bad choice.

slickdeal45 said:   
But it wasn't just a sales flop. This wasn't a case of right product, wrong time. Few apps and no future (BB has stated that they aren't doing another tablet) make this a poor choice.

If a person wants a throw away, even the cheap Chinese tablets are a better choice. Why? The apps you buy will be there when you want a much better experience.

Some of you seem very emotional about an unsuccessful product. Hey, that's great. Passion and all that. Nobody should buy one of these without having the whole picture, however. A Playbook is a dead end. That doesn't mean it can't be useful for something, but as a general use tablet? Bad choice.

I know "Don't feed the trolls", but I feel I need to point out a few errors in your post:

1. Most apps that work on the NEW Z10 phone also run on this tablet.
2. The glass, speakers, case and general build quality on this tablet are far superior to the Chinese knock-offs. (I bought a knock-off, and the glass broke in one day)
3. Blackberry still develops and offers support for this platform.
4. I honestly have no emotional attachment to this tablet, but I am fond of free wifi on planes, and the build quality of this tablet.

If you knew of a device of solid build quality that offered free wifi in places that you spent a significant amount of time, you may want to share too. I'm basically sharing this with those people, not you. And I know those folks are out there because I've seen a lot of FW screens on planes lately. There are a LOT of disclaimers on my original post about the shortcomings of this device. Thank you for repeating them. Maybe you don't fly often, and it's clear that this device isn't for you, but you're now (for some reason) offering misleading information rather than simply moving on. Thanks for your opinion though.

And that's the last time you're getting fed.

I think you're missing the point. Even if BB says this is their last tablet, fact is they're still updating and supporting the software on the Playbook at least up to BB10. Also, some of the apps that you buy for the Playbook right now also come bundled with a BB7 and BB10 version (depends how the devs package the apps). I'm telling you this not as a BlackBerry fanboy, but as someone who owns both a Playbook AND an Android tablet.

Today, I'm still using my Playbook to read books, browse the web, watch movies (especially on sites that mainly use flash), play games, and even get some light work done. My Android tablet, which by the way cost more than what I paid for this Playbook, has been sitting in storage for the last year or so because it pretty much doesn't have enough RAM to load modern websites properly anymore (Android is a memory hog, in case you haven't noticed), and newer apps keep crashing on it because most developers have stopped supporting anything pre-ice cream sandwich already.

Yeah, I know what you're going to say... for $200, you can get a very decent Android tablet today running Jelly Bean. My answer... what's the point? My Android phone has better specs than the cheap Android tablets available today, and I'm not going to shell out another $200 when the Playbook that I got 2 years ago for the same price can still do everything that I need to do on a tablet today and can probably outlast the current crop of cheap Android tablets that NEVER get updated by manufacturers, Nexus excluded.

slickdeal45 said:   Some of you seem very emotional about an unsuccessful product. Hey, that's great. Passion and all that. Nobody should buy one of these without having the whole picture, however. A Playbook is a dead end. That doesn't mean it can't be useful for something, but as a general use tablet? Bad choice.You obviously don't own a Playbook so you have nothing to compare your Android with. After my experience with practically getting no official updates or support for my Galaxy Tab from Samsung, I've pretty much lost interest in EVER getting another Android tablet again, with the exception of another Nexus perhaps. Thing is, Samsung sells more tablets compared to Google, so a lot of the apps are optimized for the Galaxy line, not Nexus. Do you see the dilemma here? You might as well stick to iOS.

Edit:
Whoops! Didn't notice Klingsor's reply above mine. This was a response to slickdeal45's post.

Klingsor said:   I know "Don't feed the trolls", but I feel I need to point out a few errors in your post:

Have I insulted you? Why are you personally attacking me? Stop projecting.

1. Most apps that work on the NEW Z10 phone also run on this tablet.

So that puts it how far, exactly, behind even MS's efforts to get developers to support it? And do those 120,000 phone apps scale appropriately for the Playbook? I don't know--I don't spend a lot of time with legacy platforms, unless I'm feeling nostalgic.

What you and the other fellow don't seem to understand is that I'm not championing any platform. I don't even own a current Android device. I'm very invested in iOS--that's where I've been putting my software money for the past, gosh, almost five years. The apps I bought back then largely continue to work today, with more features and capabilities. I've probably spent around $400-$500 on apps. A mix of productivity, utility, entertainment, and games. I'll continue to use that software for the foreseeable future. I'm not tied to one dead device. People should buy whatever platform best fits their needs. Consumer loyalty is a concept invented by marketing departments, and really doesn't serve any of us well at all.

That's what I mean when I say that someone is better off buying a cheap Android tablet. Unless you really aren't getting much out of your tablet, you're going to buy software. I'll just patiently nod along as someone insists that a computer--any computer--is just fine with freeware and web-based apps. Heck, there have to BE free apps that you can use, and 120,000 for BB is just a paltry showing.

When a person buys a device, they're investing in an ecosystem. Unless you're happy to leave your software behind, why not be smart about it? Yeah, I'm five years in on mine. Lots of changes in that time, but I still use some of those apps daily. Some--like Catamount's--I've been using for a decade and half over three different handheld platforms.

Dead platforms are a waste of time and money. Even if BB manages to stick around--their not looking so good, except as a patent collection--the Playbook is most certainly dead. It's frozen in time, stillborn when it hit the shelves two years ago. Two years is a lifetime in a category that didn't, for all intents and purposes, exist just three years ago.

Like I said, it's great that you guys are passionate about your device, but it's dead. Encouraging others to buy it is in bad taste. It'd be like recommending a Palm V--great battery life, handy size, amazing software library, but dead. You do a disservice to anyone who doesn't REALLY know what they're getting (and not getting!) for even $70.

Duplicate?

Duplicate!

I wouldn't count on the bb10 upgrade.

slickdeal45 said:   Klingsor said:   I know "Don't feed the trolls", but I feel I need to point out a few errors in your post:

Have I insulted you? Why are you personally attacking me? Stop projecting.
Klingsor's just wondering why you're even here if you're not interested in the platform.

slickdeal45 said:   Like I said, it's great that you guys are passionate about your device, but it's dead. Encouraging others to buy it is in bad taste. It'd be like recommending a Palm V--great battery life, handy size, amazing software library, but dead. You do a disservice to anyone who doesn't REALLY know what they're getting (and not getting!) for even $70.You know who else is dead, Steve Jobs. I could tell people to stop buying Apple products because it doesn't have Jobs' magic touch anymore, and people are switching to Android, and maps is crap, and all the dongles are so expensive, and Apple is just milking all their customers out of their hard earned cash, and blah, blah, blah... but then, I'd just be trolling.

sklar said:   I wouldn't count on the bb10 upgrade.There are rumors Google is going to be ditching Android soon and completely replacing it with the Chrome OS. Haha! Tech moves fast. They're all going to be obsolete eventually. What matters is what you can do with what you have now.

FatWallEEE said:   sklar said:   I wouldn't count on the bb10 upgrade.There are rumors Google is going to be ditching Android soon and completely replacing it with the Chrome OS. Haha! Tech moves fast. They're all going to be obsolete eventually. What matters is what you can do with what you have now.

The point is, BB said they'd put BB10 on the playbook quite a ways back, and also said they had another new tablet coming out. Then they canceled the tablet and have said nothing whatsoever except 'no comment' since then on any questions regarding the availability of BB10 on the playbook. I was actually looking at getting one to run on bb10, and I changed my mind because I don't think its going to actually happen.

Just thought I'd throw that out for the folks planning on getting this to run BB10, and knowing that the current version 2.x isn't suitable for them. I saw a lot of comments speaking to it as though it was practically a done deal. I don't think it is...

BB did release another Playbook tablet, although not much of an upgrade vs the original, with 3G support. I don't remember them promising any other models after that, though. I think they pretty much shifted all development to the BB10 phone just a little bit after the price drops.

Also, I can't say for sure that they WILL release another update for the Playbook, but you really can't say that the current OS 2.0 version is unusable either. Right now, it's the ONLY tablet you can start using out of the box to watch flash videos online, for instance. On Android, you have to "tinker" a lot to run some apps. Ok, I realize that's not necessarily a bad thing for people who like to "tinker", but not everyone can. Playbook also supports Java, Android, C++, Air, and I forget what else, but... lol... you get the point. QNX is a pretty powerful OS, although most people will never want to "tinker" with it either, just like Android.

For the full $200, I probably would not recommend getting a Playbook anymore. But for $70, even used, this was a great find by the OP, especially with the free wifi. Too bad a lot of people will automatically ignore it because the Playbook isn't a popular platform. Oh well. This is pretty much the reason it failed in the first place, I guess. Just not enough marketing push from BB.

No, it failed because it couldn't do email or calendars in its first year. Simple. It's not rocket science.

Your defensiveness is silly. Discussing a deal is what we do here. If you don't enjoy that, spend your time differently.

^Look who's being defensive. Wasn't even replying to you anymore. Just trying to give a constructive reply to someone who was at least interested in buying a Playbook at some point in time. If you can't find value in a good deal, that's just your loss.

Again, what are you even doing here?

Thanks for rounding out opinions on the deal FatWallEEE. I agree with all your posts. I appreciate the dissenting opinions too. They are important for the consumer that may be the market for me this tablet. I'm typing this from the airplane. Two rows up is another savvy traveler using free wifi on this flight.

I've been learning a bit of code lately and it has given me a newfound appreciation for QNX too. I like this tablet, but after this wifi promo is up I'll likely put it on eBay and go back to my Nexus (Which, incidentally, I've never bought an app for, after having used the platform since it's inception. Though I don't think the average Apple fanboy can possibly relate to that). And of course I'll miss the ways in which the Playbook is superior to the Nexus.

I'm not sure why the troll is still here either. But man, you've gotta stop acknowledging him. They can't be reasoned with. They can only be starved.

FatWallEEE said:   ^Look who's being defensive. Wasn't even replying to you anymore. Just trying to give a constructive reply to someone who was at least interested in buying a Playbook at some point in time. If you can't find value in a good deal, that's just your loss.

Again, what are you even doing here?

Wow. You got yourself some issues, boy.

Went out of stock for awhile. Now live again.

FYI. News just came out that Playbook BB10 upgrade has been cancelled.

Why the hell is this in my Twitter feed?

View said:   FYI. News just came out that Playbook BB10 upgrade has been cancelled.

Shocker. Red me if you want, but I have to agree with Slickdeal45--this is a long dead platform in an industry where things move quickly. I understand that it's a "hot deal" at this price, but there's a very obvious reason for that.

View said:   FYI. News just came out that Playbook BB10 upgrade has been cancelled.

Text

Well, the free wifi promo is up in 3 days anyhow, which was the primary reason for buying this. I got about 50 flights worth of free wifi out of it. Glad to have made use of it, but I'm also glad to go back to my Nexus.

Klingsor said:   Well, the free wifi promo is up in 3 days anyhow, which was the primary reason for buying this. I got about 50 flights worth of free wifi out of it. Glad to have made use of it, but I'm also glad to go back to my Nexus. Wow, you fly a ton!

By they way, Blackberry just announced that they would not be updating this to v10. So welcome to year 2011 if you buy this. I agree with a lot of what SlickDeals45 had to say about the tablet. I've given up telling people not to buy this because I get personally attacked just like he did.

Yes, the CEO just announced it last week. Up until then, it was still a (good) possibility.

I use my BB Playbook every single day. So does my 3.5 y/o. It is a very nice tablet and well worth the $70 especially with the free Delta wifi. You do have to go into a deal like this with both eyes open - for all intents, you are buying into a "dead" platform.

wfay said:   Yes, the CEO just announced it last week. Up until then, it was still a (good) possibility.

I use my BB Playbook every single day. So does my 3.5 y/o. It is a very nice tablet and well worth the $70 especially with the free Delta wifi. You do have to go into a deal like this with both eyes open - for all intents, you are buying into a "dead" platform.

Don't expect to count on it... But in some cases such hardware could be "revived" if someone finds a way to load Android on it...like the HP touchpad.

solid tablet at a great price. getting another one for family to do video conferencing. thanks for the deal.

hoodrep said:   solid tablet at a great price. getting another one for family to do video conferencing. thanks for the deal.What video conferencing software do you use? The built-in "Video Chat" app or something else?

hoodrep said:   solid tablet at a great price. getting another one for family to do video conferencing. thanks for the deal.

Solid tablet? It's good for nothing with handful of apps. And don't forget it's pre owned.

cyfan said:   By they way, Blackberry just announced that they would not be updating this to v10. So welcome to year 2011 if you buy this. I agree with a lot of what SlickDeals45 had to say about the tablet. I've given up telling people not to buy this because I get personally attacked just like he did.

It's true, this is a dead platform. Sum total, the Kindle, Nook, Nexus and arguably even the Kobo is a better device. The hardware is VERY good though, and QNX is an interesting OS, it plays any, and I mean ANY, format of video or audio I throw at it. I would say more on this, but it would be repetition. This was posted primarily for travelers who need a cheap rock-solid tablet with free wifi for 3 months. By the way, the promo was up yesterday (6/30), but I still got free wifi on a Delta flight this morning (7/1). I don't think the personal attack on SlickDeals45 was intentional. It's just that he was searching every Playbook post on FW and being argumentative, on top of that he was saying things that simply aren't true. I'm all for having dissenting opinions, but it's almost like he had a vendetta.

View said:   wfay said:   Yes, the CEO just announced it last week. Up until then, it was still a (good) possibility.

Don't expect to count on it... But in some cases such hardware could be "revived" if someone finds a way to load Android on it...like the HP touchpad.

Because I like the hardware so much, I wish it it would be revived, but QNX is a very, very locked-down OS. That's what people were saying about HP's WebOS though, but it was cracked. That said, it would take some serious motivation and skill to make it happen. Not to mention, that sort of thing is a labor of love. Those geniuses work for free.

Skipping 2 Messages...
Only an hour left but I just noticed All4Cellular has a NEW (but brown box packaging?) BB Playbook 16gb with Charging Stand and Rapid Wall Charger for $99:
http://www.all4cellular.com/dailydeal/

Curious if this is actually NEW as it states or more likely a refurb.

They also have various accessories for a reasonable price.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014