• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
get the GE 5050 BTU window air conditioner for only $99.84 on-line with site-to-store shipping. go to www.walmart.com/ip/general-electric-5-000-btu-window-air-conditi... to check it out.

Member Summary

GE 5050 BTU WINDOW AIR CONDITIONER
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Bought this and it arrived quickly. but it is very no frills. doesnt have up/down/left/right directions, has a kind of ... (more)

Darrone (Jun. 30, 2013 @ 2:28p) |

Energy star ratings have been tightened up of late. I was just checking site for a sear Cash Back and will buy a Sears K... (more)

Photowhit (Jul. 04, 2013 @ 7:23a) |

Noisy little beast....but it does provide some comfort on those hot nights.

meggacat (Jul. 04, 2013 @ 7:34p) |

model number - aet05lq
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

LG and Frigidaire make the best 5K and 6K models, but they are a little pricey (worth it, imho). For other models, go by price or your personal preference of looks because they all perform pretty much the same.

$100 for a 5K is par.

And oh! Energy Star is a must, otherwise there are no savings even if you get a unit for free.

How easy is it to install a window air conditioner?

I am debating whether I need to get a portable AC or a window AC... Any thoughts/ suggestions?

If you are looking to use the air conditioner to cool the same room (rather than moving it around to several rooms), a window air conditioner is definitely the best choice. Portable air conditioners are much less efficient and I have found them to be louder as well.

plumberg said:   How easy is it to install a window air conditioner?

I am debating whether I need to get a portable AC or a window AC... Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Probably better to check here for installation on installing, as it's most likely to cover your scenario. I agree with tanm83's assessment on portable vs window AC.

$.97 to ship to your home.

Portable units also require some installation, though you don't need supports for them. Without proper installation and support, a window a/c can fall off and potentially cause serious damage. Portable units are also (much) more expensive.

I see $5 per year difference from lg which is $50 more not that much? Am I missing something?

I see $5 per year difference from lg (energy star) which is $50 more not that much? Am I missing something?

Yes. A lot. I will touch on only a couple over here.

Those Energy labels do not indicate real-world costs. In reality you pay several times more for electricity than what the sticker says. The higher your actual rate, the larger the difference. For example, if you are paying twice what the sticker says, then your savings would be $10 instead of $5. They add up quickly.

Also, these "stickers" are not regulated. Any manufacturer is free to measure them against an artificial base line. A simplified example: manufacturer A claims their unit, if used to cool to 72 degrees, a room that is X cu.ft., will cost $50 a year. If you want your room to be 70 degrees instead, the unit will need to work extra-hard, and will now cost $120 a year (yes. a difference that high is real). manufacturer B claims their unit, if used to cool to 72 degrees, a room that is the same X cu.ft., will cost $40 a year. Now get this - If you want your room to be 70 degrees instead, the unit being efficient, will not need to work extra-hard, and will now cost only $55 a year.

Other factors and examples abound, but I guess you get the picture. A better-designed more efficient unit is the way to go, specially if you have warm Summers and expect to use the unit a lot.

Observation: The LG you are looking at with a $50 price difference is either digital, 6K, or both. Comparing like-featured ones will result in a smaller price difference. Also watch out for sales. Before July and after September are your best bets.

This size ac is ok for a small bathroom, thats it.

plumberg said:   How easy is it to install a window air conditioner?

Avoid portables unless you don't have a big enough window. Because they don't have a hot-side sitting outside the envelope, it has to suck in your newly cooled air to cool the hot-side and then blow out the window. Plus the negative room pressure will suck in air from the rest of the house. This makes them terribly inefficient.

In either case a 5k btu unit isn't good for anything. 7-10k BTU minimum, and high efficiency. Might cost ~$300 but worth it.

Keep in mind when getting a larger one, be sure you have the voltage available....
I always bought the biggest or nearly the biggest that uses 110-120 volts.....
Amperage is also important to not blow a circuit breaker.

My circuit panel is in the hall, I ran a new breaker and wire for the bedroom ac.....
All surface located.

got 1.

billybwilde said:   In either case a 5k btu unit isn't good for anything. 7-10k BTU minimum, and high efficiency. Might cost ~$300 but worth it.An airconditioner performs two functions. Cool the room, and remove the humidity. You install one too powerful, and it will cool too fast, leaving the room still humid and uncomfortable. A unit with insufficient power will over-work, reducing the life of the appliance. Also, it will over-dry a room before it gets to the desired temperature. The capacity needs to match the room; not "all I got is $100, so I will go with this". Nor "I am soo rich, I will go with the pricier extra-strong unit".

Exception: Most 5K units are not up to par. If your calculations require a 5K unit, you may go for a 6K one.

Underpowered and it will never overcome a very hot room.

very cheap this air con.

clooper said:   very cheap this air con.very cheap too.

Ah, the high cost of window air conditioners!

Bought this and it arrived quickly. but it is very no frills. doesnt have up/down/left/right directions, has a kind of turning screw that points around in different direction, 2 dials, and no LED/display for temperature. Its a very small footprint unit, but its very quiet and works great thus far. No frills, but good price.

Also, energy star compliance is so loose, its pretty much meaningless.

Darrone said:   Also, energy star compliance is so loose, its pretty much meaningless.

Energy star ratings have been tightened up of late. I was just checking site for a sear Cash Back and will buy a Sears Kenmore 5200btu with a seer rating of 11, it won't quite pay for the difference with just the difference in electric cost for normal households over the 10-15 year life of a window A/C, but I want something with a timer to shut it down and I live on solar electric so I can also run this longer with out drawing down my battery bank. Also likely more reliable for the $10-20 total cost difference, I have the previous model that's working fine after 6 years in my cabin, seer of 10.7.

Noisy little beast....but it does provide some comfort on those hot nights.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014